PDA

View Full Version : Electronic Ignition Conversion Question?

tockit
07-01-2012, 07:09 AM
I'm thinking about switching from points to electronic iginition soon and had a question.

I've noticed a lot of guys are running the Pertronix Distributor with the Flame Thrower Coil.

My question is, is that setup better than a new HEI distributor that has the coil built into the top?

The coil I've been looking at is a Proform HEI 66983 with the integrated coil setup.

The coil in it has 50,000volts (comparable to the Flame Thrower).

Is there an advantage to the separate coil over an integrated coil?

The only thing I can think of is possiblly cheaper replacement if that coil fails, but didn't know if there were other advantages, etc?

Thanks!

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
07-01-2012, 10:36 AM
This Proform HEI 66983 distributor you stated is not for marine use. The only ford 351w marine hei distributor that I know of is a http://www.performancedistributors.com/marinedui.htm. Personally I went with a mallory e-spark ei conversion and a msd blaster II coil my setup has worked great.

Matt L.
07-01-2012, 12:23 PM
I'm thinking about switching from points to electronic iginition soon and had a question.

I've noticed a lot of guys are running the Pertronix Distributor with the Flame Thrower Coil.

My question is, is that setup better than a new HEI distributor that has the coil built into the top?

The coil I've been looking at is a Proform HEI 66983 with the integrated coil setup.

The coil in it has 50,000volts (comparable to the Flame Thrower).

Is there an advantage to the separate coil over an integrated coil?

The only thing I can think of is possiblly cheaper replacement if that coil fails, but didn't know if there were other advantages, etc?

Thanks!

Tockit,

Quit over thinking this one, Drop in the Pertronix and forget about. This was without a doubt the best cheap upgrade ever for those who have done it. Mine has been running flawlessly since. The install is super easy too. You will be amazed at how much easier and reliably it starts afterward!!!

Good luck!

Matt

Lumbergh
07-01-2012, 12:56 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Wg2bYPLLpc

Mallory Kit install.

Amazon has the best prices I found for the Pertronix.

thatsmrmastercraft
07-01-2012, 01:20 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Wg2bYPLLpc

Mallory Kit install.

Amazon has the best prices I found for the Pertronix.

I will second that. Couldn't be happier than with my Pertronix Ignitor II and Flamethrower coil.

blackcreek
07-02-2012, 11:48 AM
I will second that.

Go with the pertronix , I triple dog dare you.
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTMWhBpFqL7U7g1asm4MG-_39xtJfes_7M98H3o-Qh8oESWxJM2

I only went with the ignitor on my old boat and it worked so well I never felt the need to go with the flamethrower coil.
Some coils need to be changed out or adapted with a ballast if i remember correctly so check with pertronix when ordering. My motor only needed the ignitor plate to work fine.

blackcreek
07-02-2012, 11:56 AM
double post that I can't figure out how to delete.

thatsmrmastercraft
07-02-2012, 01:47 PM
Go with the pertronix , I triple dog dare you.
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTMWhBpFqL7U7g1asm4MG-_39xtJfes_7M98H3o-Qh8oESWxJM2

I only went with the ignitor on my old boat and it worked so well I never felt the need to go with the flamethrower coil.
Some coils need to be changed out or adapted with a ballast if i remember correctly so check with pertronix when ordering. My motor only needed the ignitor plate to work fine.

I found such a deal plus free shipping on Amazon.com on the Pertronix stuff that the upgraded Igniter II and Flamethrower coil only cost me a few bucks more than the base model. Easy decision.

occva
07-02-2012, 05:39 PM
I got my pretronix ignitor 2 with flame thrower coil on ebay for 176.00 shipped.
Awesome upgrade. Next is a carb rebuild..

thatsmrmastercraft
07-02-2012, 05:48 PM
I paid $151.94 for my Ignitor II and Flamethrower coil. I bought from Amazon.com and they shipped from Advance Auto Parts. For the newer style screw-on dist caps, they were $21 cheaper for a total of $130.94

tockit
07-05-2012, 07:09 AM
This Proform HEI 66983 distributor you stated is not for marine use. The only ford 351w marine hei distributor that I know of is a http://www.performancedistributors.com/marinedui.htm. Personally I went with a mallory e-spark ei conversion and a msd blaster II coil my setup has worked great.
If I decide to go with a complete distributor instead of a conversion, which direction of rotation do I need for my 1989 351 Indmar, or how can I tell? RH or LH?

Thanks!

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
07-05-2012, 09:17 AM
LH aka CCW aka STD rotation

tockit
07-14-2012, 12:18 AM
I've read when you switch to a hotter coil (like the Flame Thrower) and
Electronic ignition, you should adjust your spark plug gap and possible your
Ignition timing.
Can anyone give me some details about this?

Thanks!

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
07-14-2012, 12:31 AM
Your timing will stay the same, and follow instructions in the ei kit for plug gap, if it doesn't state anything then stay oem at .035", I know the mallory e-spark says to follow manufacturers specifications...

thatsmrmastercraft
07-16-2012, 04:26 PM
You can conceivably open the gap some as the hotter spark will be more efficient at getting the fuel burning. These engines can also be run with a little more timing depending on the condition of the engine.

CAUTION: Once you start opening spark plug gaps and increasing timing, you open yourself up to engine damage. Too lean a condition combined with too much timing and incomplete spark is a recipe for disaster.

These engine aren't wound up tight and run relatively rich for a reason.......to be pretty bullet-proof and fool-proof. In their stock form they will run just about forever. There are certainly some modern improvements that can be implemented to make them more user friendly. Electronic ignition is certainly on that list.

When you stray from original very far, you need to really know what you are doing so you don't inadvertently let all the smoke out. :rolleyes:

SilviaMan
07-16-2012, 05:31 PM
I believe I used this mallory kit and I have been happy with it.
Mallory Marine 9-26902
and I used an ss blaster msd coil I had laying around.

slushpup
07-16-2012, 09:56 PM
The kit i got from the dealer 4 years ago ran close to 300 bucks, And the one thing i remember was do not use a high performance coil and get rid of the ballast resistor. BEST UPGRADE EVER !!! After years of setting and scraping points this is a no brainer..

OHProstar
07-15-2014, 08:40 PM
These are all great posts... However, I have a need for the instructions that came with the 9-26902 E Conversion kit. Much appreciated if anyone could provide a copy.
Thanks,