PDA

View Full Version : fuel problem

Micnic
06-30-2012, 10:54 PM
Think I figured out my fuel problem. Bowl on fuel pump was full of crud in the bottom, maybe 1/8 inch thick, filter was horrid. Will replace and see how it runs. With this much debris in the filter could it have caused any problems with the pump? It ran fine up to about 2500 rpms then would die........

Matt L.
07-01-2012, 12:15 PM
If that stuff was that bad then you had better pull your fuel tank sending unit and check the screen in the pickup, there should be a little ball check valve in the pickup that gets gummed up too. I'd bet you a dollar there is a lot of sediment in your tank too. Worth checking, and correcting before you end up with another clogged filter in the near future.

I would think the clogged filter was causing the fuel pump to work excessively hard too. What year and engine are you talking about?

Check that tank, you may just be describing a symptom of the real problem, namely a gunked up fuel tank. There are lots of microbes that will actually grow in fuel, especially if you add a bit of moisture, aka the marine environment.

Later,

Matt