PDA

View Full Version : Hit underwater object now prop is shifted right. What. Now?

Kdmann64
06-30-2012, 09:54 PM
A buddy was pulling me he ended up driving into a bad area and hit a stump guess. After that of course there is a lot of vibration, when we got the boat out I discovered the prop is to the right of the rudder not in the center. The bracket that the shaft runs through is bent. What do I do? Is it removable?
Can I straight it or buy new?
Does this mean my shft is bad too? What about packing?
Please help.

D3skier
06-30-2012, 10:40 PM
A buddy was pulling me he ended up driving into a bad area and hit a stump guess. After that of course there is a lot of vibration, when we got the boat out I discovered the prop is to the right of the rudder not in the center. The bracket that the shaft runs through is bent. What do I do? Is it removable?
Can I straight it or buy new?
Does this mean my shft is bad too? What about packing?
Please help.

sorry to hear about your damage... be thankful that's all it is. my buddy said he saw a 205 with a huge hole in the bottom because they hit a rock at skiing speed. If the prop is to the right more than likely the shaft is bent too and will need to replace everything.

Kdmann64
06-30-2012, 11:03 PM
What is everything? I'm new at this and am doing some searching on here as well. It's an 03 x2. Where do I order parts from. It was on lake Oconee today.

Hrkdrivr
06-30-2012, 11:34 PM
How ironic. My troubles started on Lake Oconee a couple of weeks ago. Pour yourself a good drink and read my tale...
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=48427

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
06-30-2012, 11:37 PM
Yes it sounds like you will need to replace shaft, strut, packing, prop, and align the engine. jim @ bay area watersports 1-877-817-7774 should be able to get you the parts you need. if not I'm sure he can recommend somebody.

Hrkdrivr
06-30-2012, 11:39 PM
So far I've had to get a new prop, a new drive shaft, new cutlass bearings and today I discovered I also need a new strut. Will have to order it on Monday.

My suggestion is to order from skidim.com. A lot of people here use them. They have great customer service, the ship quickly and their prices are about the best you'll find. If you don't see what you need on the web page or you're not sure, call them. Theyre very helpful.

Get the tools out and don't be afraid; it's all pretty doable even if you're not a gear-head.

petermegan
07-01-2012, 01:11 AM
Just curious how far from center of the rudder the shaft is? You are aware that the shaft is deliberately offset enough so the shaft comes out past the rudder. (So they tell me anyway). Is there a visible bend in your strut or have you assumed it is bent because the shaft is not in the middle of the rudder? Just had a thought that it just may be a bent prop. Cheers.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
07-01-2012, 01:19 AM
^x2 the shaft are offset a bit so you can remove prop and shaft without interference from rudder, can you turn shaft by hand?

FrankSchwab
07-01-2012, 02:30 AM
OK, first, is the prop damaged? I'm assuming the answer is "yes", so you're going to have to decide whether it can be repaired, or needs to be replaced. OJ Props will evaluate it, and fix it if possible, if you ship it to them. You may be able to find a local prop shop who can do it also.

Next, let's evaluate the strut. The strut is the center of the world when it comes to your propshaft. Look under the boat, and examine where the propshaft goes through the bottom of the boat (the "shaft log"). If the propshaft is touching the sides of the shaft log, then you're in deep doo-doo - the strut is probably bent. If it isn't, you may be OK, but to be sure you're going to have to do some work. (Read the document I posted on hrkdrivr's thread for terminology). Seperate the propshaft coupler at the transmission by a couple of inches, loosen the stuffing box hose and pull it up the shaft, and evaluate how the propshaft comes through the shaft log. If it's not touching the sides, you're golden - bolt everything back together and thank your lucky stars (although you've already done most of the work involved in doing a full propshaft alignment, so you might as well follow through).

Now, let's assume the strut is bent (the propshaft hits the shaft log). If you have an old-style stuffing box, add some Gore-Tex packing to your list of parts (by far the cheapest thing you'll be buying). If the bend isn't too bad, some have been successful at enlarging the screw holes in the strut base, applying new sealant, holding the shaft in the center of the shaft log, and tightening the screws down again. Others have been successful using the propshaft as a really long lever and physically bending the strut back into position. Me? I'd replace the strut.

You can measure runout in the shaft with it mounted in the boat (and the coupler bolted together). If it's high (read hrkdrivr's thread for some authoritative numbers), you can try to have it straightened, or replace it. You can also pull the shaft, and have a machine shop measure it's straightness.

Worst case, you're looking at $1500 or so in parts to get back on the lake. Best case, $300 or so for a used prop (check on Ebay).

Good luck, and post questions/results here. Lot's of helpful folks.

/frank

Kdmann64
07-01-2012, 09:18 AM
Hrkdrivr I have been reading your post and it has been helpful/ stressful. I hope you will be available on here to help me out.

The prop looks good, I know it still could be bent but there is no visible damage.

I assume the strut is what the shaft runs through under the boat. That this is obviously bent to the right, if someone could post a pic of where the prop is supposed to be that would help I guess. I'll take a pic of what mine looks now but I don't k owns to post the pic.

I don't think I can turn the prop by hand right now. It is in a bind.
I'll get under the boat today and do more investigation. Thanks for your help so far guys and keep it coming. I don't know all the terminology here so you guys will have tobe patient with me. Also can some one tell me how to post pics with my iPad or iphone

Hrkdrivr
07-01-2012, 09:47 AM
KDmann,

Pics would definitely help.

The strut is the thing right in front of the prop; the prop shaft runs through it up into the bottom of the boat...pic below.

If this is visibly bent you need to bite the bullet and either get it fixed or buy a new one. I'm buying a new one. It's the "center of the universe" as someone said, and if it's not right, nothing will be right.

Hrkdrivr
07-01-2012, 09:53 AM
As for whether or not the prop is damaged, it might be damaged enough to cause vibration without your being able to see it. You need to send it off to someone to be checked. If you hit something hard enough to bend the strut, you probably damaged the prop too. My prop was damaged beyond repair, but it was damaged symmetrically, if that makes sense, so that I couldn't really tell visually.

petermegan
07-01-2012, 09:53 AM
Sorry, I can't help with how to get your photos up but definitely need some photos!!

Kdmann64
07-01-2012, 09:57 AM
Ok prop is bent.
Strut looks to me to be bent toward the right and from under the boat the shaft looks like its touching log on the right. Very hardto turn prop. Time to start ordering parts?

Jerseydave
07-01-2012, 09:57 AM
It's a bit harder to replace these parts on a V-drive if you're not familiar with the process.
Since it sounds like you need a prop, rudder, strut, propshaft, engine alignment and maybe more I would think your insurance would come into play and let an inboard shop repair it for you.

Kdmann64
07-01-2012, 10:26 AM
Ok what the process for tear down?
Prop first left handed threads? Can I use an impact?
Then shaft or strut?
Can the strut be straightened or is it better to spend the $300. If I buy one does it come with the bearings inside or do ivy them separately? Also what size and kind of packing do I need?

woobiedmd
07-01-2012, 10:37 AM
I agree with Dave. This happenned to me 2 summers ago. The price for shaft, prop, strut, cutlass bearing came out to about $1,300. My insurance deductable was $500. My boat ins premium hasn't gone up. The final bill from the repair shop was $2500. To me the only negative was the 2-3 week wait in the middle of the summer! Good luck. The mechanical ability isn't that hard but, this may be one for the professionals or a friend that you owe a couple of cases of beer!

Kdmann64
07-01-2012, 10:39 AM
No Boat insurance, think I need the cases of beers.

woobiedmd
07-01-2012, 10:43 AM
Sorry about that. As everyone said, you're probably looking at a new strut/bearing, shaft,prop, and packing. Skidm is great. I had already tore mine down with Vince's help over the telephone but, the parts were too much. I believe it was around $1,300. Call Skidm Monday and I know they can help you out. Good luck with your B.O.A.T.- Bring On Another Thousand!

Kdmann64
07-01-2012, 04:32 PM
Status update: got prop off going to take it to a local shop tomorrow.
Got 8 bolts off the strut.
Working on shaft but it's not going well.
Behind back seat I took big nut off shaft, got two of the four bolts on the "coupler" off. Something happened with the other two, it's like they got cross threaded as th came off, they at stuck. Got hurt hand and mad had to walk away for a bit. Once I get those off what's next?
What do I do at the hill,of the boat? Where is,the packing? I see three screws a the hull around the shaft. From,under the boat, but what's inside the boat what do I do?
Please help

mikeg205
07-01-2012, 04:36 PM
PM -V- he just struggled with changing out some of this gear.

Kdmann64
07-01-2012, 10:42 PM
http://s1175.photobucket.com/albums/r638/kdmann64/?action=view&current=fc203f65.jpg

Kdmann64
07-01-2012, 10:43 PM
http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r638/kdmann64/fc203f65.jpgTrying to get pics up

Kdmann64
07-01-2012, 10:46 PM
Bent struthttp://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r638/kdmann64/e1e48ab0.jpg

Lumbergh
07-01-2012, 11:20 PM
http://i470.photobucket.com/albums/rr66/Lumbergh556/Not-a-good-sign.jpg

Kdmann64
07-02-2012, 05:02 PM
So how do I get the shat out, I'm still working on coupler but what is in thenull of the oat, I loosened two screw clamps that wrap around some black tubing of some sort, but nothing seems to have come loose, what is this and what do I do with it?
Props at local shop, they said they can fix it.

FrankSchwab
07-02-2012, 06:09 PM
You're probably looking at the stuffing box (http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/stuffing_box). The propshaft goes from the prop, through the strut, into the shaft log (the part that goes through the hull), into the stuffing box (connected to the shaft log via a short rubber tube that isolates any shaft runout from the hull), then into the coupler. The article I just linked describes how to get the old packing out of the stuffing box, and install new. Doing the full propshaft alignment means that you'll have to loosen the rubber tube from the shaft log, and pull it up the shaft a little bit. Replacing the propshaft means that you'll have to pull the nut off the stuffing box, and remove the old packing.

It sounds like two of your four coupler bolts have seized. I don't have a good answer here - maybe grind the heads off?

It sounds like you were able to remove the nut on the propshaft. Now, the question is "How do I seperate the propshaft from the coupler?". hrkdrivr's experience is relatively common - with the propshaft nut loosened (but not completely removed), find a way to set up vibrations in the propshaft and/or a pull on it. Searching in the forum will find quite a few threads.

/frank

bobx1
07-02-2012, 06:31 PM
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://glen-l.com/inboard-hdw/drawings/8vdrv-drw.jpg&imgrefurl=http://glen-l.com/inboard-hdw/hdw-description.html&h=244&w=549&sz=38&tbnid=h6UcmAc1e47mhM:&tbnh=55&tbnw=124&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dinboard%2Bboat%2Bdiagram%26tbm%3Disch %26tbo%3Du&zoom=1&q=inboard+boat+diagram&usg=__M1S4TNfTGl9pkJRKhuhSwceQmSA=&docid=evWmkgDyKHj17M&hl=en&sa=X&ei=7BLyT4L6L4Hz0gHZxLD6Ag&ved=0CEIQ9QEwAA&dur=2877

Kdmann64
07-02-2012, 06:51 PM
Ok so I need to get the rubber tube to slid up off the log then take the stuffing box nut off?

Kdmann64
07-02-2012, 06:51 PM
O yeah what kind and size of packing do I need?

FrankSchwab
07-02-2012, 08:42 PM
If it were me, I'd wait on worrying about the stuffing box until the propshaft slides out of the boat. Then, it'll be easy to pull the hose off the shaft log and pull the whole assembly out of the boat. Loosen the lock nut, remove the packing nut, clean all the old packing out.

Based on the Skidim page (http://www.skidim.com/products.asp?dept=1032), and assuming that you have a 1-1/8" diameter shaft, you'd need the 3/16" packing (http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=GFO3/16X24).

You won't be able to re-pack the stuffing box until you've got the new propshaft installed (and the alignment done). Then it's about a 10 minute process. Don't tighten the packing nut significantly until you get the boat in the water - if it's too loose, it'll be dripping into the bilge which is no big deal. If it's too tight, it'll destroy the packing and possibly put a groove into your nice new shaft.

/frank

Kdmann64
07-03-2012, 07:54 PM
Ok props fixed, coupler is off, shaft is out, and strut is off yeah me. Shaft looks good, my father is taking by a machine shop at his work to check.
Now I'm looking at log/packing box and don't know what I'm looking at. Here are two pics. I loosened the clamps but e rubber hose can't really slid up cause of that yellow thing. And ther is a tube coming into it that runs up to a T at a rubber hose hat runs between the manifolds. Why is al this? Is there a packing nut I here somewhere and what do I have to take off so that I will be ready to reinstall the shaft?
[/IMG]

Kdmann64
07-03-2012, 07:55 PM
http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r638/kdmann64/3afe7c81.jpg
One shot

Kdmann64
07-03-2012, 07:55 PM
The other side
http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r638/kdmann64/78096df8.jpg

FrankSchwab
07-04-2012, 05:03 AM
Wull, what you gots there is a "dripless packing". Two manufacturers are PSS (http://www.shaftseal.com/en/product_categories) and OJ (http://www.ojprops.com/products).

Yours doesn't look quite like either of those, so I'm not sure what you have. The hose brings a bit of water down from the cooling system to make sure that the seal is cooled/lubricated - without the hose, air can get trapped in the seal and let it run dry.

I'm not sure what needs to be done to get a new shaft through there - there's unlikely to be a packing nut, but there may be a seal that fits on the shaft. Jamming the propshaft back through may damage it (or may not; I'm out of my depth here). Maybe someone else will recognize the maker and be able to link to maintenance instructions for it. It looks like it barely fits in the space available for it.

/frank

Jerseydave
07-04-2012, 08:28 AM
Feel for the seal with your finger, see if it's inside and smooth all around. I doubt you have any damage to that dripless packing but if you want to replace it I think those hose clamps are the only thing holding it there so it should come right off. I've never done one like that, maybe others can chime in. I think that I would just leave it alone, but soak the inside of it with binding lube before you slide your propshaft back in. Soak the propshaft too.

Kdmann64
07-05-2012, 06:34 PM
Feels smooth inside, got shaft straightened, now I'm waiting on strut from skidim, service has not been good for this order. I'm ready to get this thing back together and give it a test drive.

Kdmann64
07-07-2012, 01:44 PM
Thanks to all who helped. I got my strut today and have everything put back together. We are going to take the boat out this afternoon to test it out. I'll get back on tonight with the results. Say a prayer that I did all is right.

Hrkdrivr
07-07-2012, 02:14 PM
Good work! I'm still waiting on my strut...not SkiDim's fault; they were out of them and the holiday week didn't help.

Kdmann64
07-07-2012, 04:42 PM
Yeah I got mine from skidim, they are fantastic and worked with me to get it here today. Hooked up loaded up and heading out.

Kdmann64
07-07-2012, 11:58 PM
So far so good, vibration was good boat seems to run great. I did have some water in the bilage, it wasn't bad though, maybe coming in around shaft ill have to put one water in the hull in the driveway and it see where it's leaking out.

Tom023
07-08-2012, 09:47 AM
Good chance the leak could be from the dripless seal. It's easy to damage the seal inside just sliding the shaft back up through. The threads, or splines on those shafts, nick the seals and cause a leak. Did you wrap the threads in electrical tape, or better yet, have an installer cap over the end? If not, I would look for a drip while the boat is in the water.

Kdmann64
07-08-2012, 07:28 PM
Taped me up when I put it back in, got hasty taking it out and forgot

Kdmann64
07-11-2012, 06:37 PM
was looking around in the boat today makeing sure it was dry cause we had a lot of rain last night and found oil, or tranny oil right under the end of the shaft at the tranny. what the heck, is there a chance i damaged a tranny seal during the repair, what do i do and how do i fix?