PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Gauge / Tank 1992 PS 190

alp
08-25-2005, 11:17 AM
Last night for the first time in 31 years of boating I ran out of gas. My gauge read a little over 1/4 but the tank was dry. Later, I put in 11 gallons. With the key off the gauge goes to empty, with the key on it's still just above 1/4. Any thoughts on what the problem may be?

mlange
08-25-2005, 12:46 PM
Alp,

It's possible that it's a stuck sender. It sounds like you still have put only 11 gallons in and it's around the same spot it was when the tank ran dry? If you put in more gas and the gauge still doesn't move, it's pretty safe to say that that is probably your issue?

If it were an issue with the signal from the sender to the gauge I would expect it to be stuck on either full or empty, not at 1/4. I may be wrong here, though.

If it is a bad or stuck sender, I wrote up a how-to article a month or so back on installing a new sender that you can grab from the how-to sections of either malibuboatowners.com or themalibucrew.com. It's a pretty simple job to put in a new one assuming you can get to your gas tank relatively easily.

Good luck.

Mike

alp
08-25-2005, 05:34 PM
Thanks. Nice How-to article. I'll take a look at the tank tonight to see if I have enough room for the job.