PDA

View Full Version : '93 Prostar 205- fuel gauge pegged?

Mid TN
06-30-2012, 12:20 PM
I bought a fuel sender from Skidm last year and it never worked right, the gauge is pegged all the time. So the unit I bought from them is discontinued and I bought another, it's a WEMA USA. they didn't sound like the sender I had was a good one.

Disconected the old sender unit and my gauge is still pegged? Took my dash apart, everything looks tight, but there are some wires that have been electrical taped up??
Don't understand why this is pegged all the time. Guess I'll start unhooking wires to see if it will unpeg. It is a Teleflex gauge, that is what all my gauges are, I assume they are original.

Anyone have any ideas where to start?

Thanks!

Table Rocker
06-30-2012, 12:24 PM
It would be hard to beat this thread as a place to start. A great job by mtajpa

http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=48823

mikeg205
06-30-2012, 12:29 PM
check resistance on sending unit.... should be low if full, so if you disconnected and gauge still pegged when you turn on boat - there's a short. I would check the wires from the gauge to the sender. Easy fix...all those wires are on the starboard gunwale IIRC. I switched from electronic to wemausa sender...

mikeg205
06-30-2012, 12:30 PM
It would be hard to beat this thread as a place to start. A great job by mtajpa

http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=48823

dang...you beat me to this.. lol... :D

Mid TN
06-30-2012, 01:43 PM
Thanks yall! In the mean time I googled 'Teleflex" and went to www.jamestowndistributing.com.
They have all the Teleflex trouble shooting info. Checking it out now, except it was 108 here yesterday and pushing that now! Oh well, need to get it fixed and put back together. I NEED WATER BAD!!! Will let yall know what I figure out for sure!

Mid TN
07-01-2012, 03:08 PM
It's getting worse! Figured out my fuel gauge is bad. Now the motor won't start!!! Can't find a Coil for it either. Keeping thinking I did something behind the dash while I was looking at the fuel gauge!? I never touched anything on the engine, maybe just a coincedence!? I am getting gas to the carb, I pulled the fuel lines off the 4010, I also saw I'm squirking gas in the carb. Will be checking my spark next.

mtajpa
07-01-2012, 05:12 PM
Check your kill switch! Might of pulled it on your quest.

Mid TN
07-01-2012, 07:25 PM
I did check my kill switch and it seems mighty sloppy. Feels like I can push it in more when it is on there? I pushed it in and tryed to start it with no luck either.