PDA

View Full Version : Trailer value??

Appling77
06-30-2012, 10:58 AM
Hi when I bought my 91 Prostar it came with a American skier trailer. The boat really doesn't fit right on it and it needs a new winch and needs some welding done to it. You can see it broke under the crank. It has brakes. It needs new carpet and wood. I have my boat in a slip now. I'm thinking about selling this trailer and buying one that fits. I was going to have this trailer modified to work better but not sure if its just better to sell it and get one that fits. I'm not in a hurry but will want to get the boat out this fall to do some stuff to it. Any idea how much this trailer is worth? I looked at nada but that was useless. Thanks

east tx skier
06-30-2012, 11:02 AM
If you redo the bunks, replace the winch, and fix it where it needs welding, I'd guess $700. As is,, it's anyone's guess. Not sure what the market is like for older American skier trailers.

Appling77
06-30-2012, 11:18 AM
If you redo the bunks, replace the winch, and fix it where it needs welding, I'd guess $700. As is,, it's anyone's guess. Not sure what the market is like for older American skier trailers.

Would it be better to sell it or just redo it and keep it? I havn't really priced trailers that are for my boat. I did see a place out in Arizona that makes aftermarket mastercraft trailers.

Appling77
06-30-2012, 11:23 AM

Cloaked
06-30-2012, 03:44 PM
Would it be better to sell it or just redo it and keep it? I havn't really priced trailers that are for my boat. I did see a place out in Arizona that makes aftermarket mastercraft trailers.
I priced a BoatMate trailer here where they are made near Knoxville. For a single axle, standard features (nice set-up), ....$3,700.

The one you have could be rebuilt, all in what your budget allows.

I will say this, as a done deal all around, if I had the money to spare, a new trailer is a good investment and a good sense of security that all is well.

For that one to be of value, someone would have to be looking to tweak on that one and still have a minimal investment, or be wanting to use that one as a spare for boat work, boat storage, short haul, etc....

I say $500 out the door for the trailer as it is. $750 tops. Another $1,200 to make it right. So if you do a refurb, you can have a fairly new trailer (lights, brakes, wheel bearings, welding / fabrication, winch, etc) for say, $1,200 - $1,500. Maybe $2,000 worse case. Remember, brakes, brake lines, actuator, LEDs, tires, etc.....so now while yours is stripped down, do you blast and paint or powder coat?

The $3,700 is a nice new rig.. plus delivery.... BoatMate has a fairly good product, however there is always room for quality in any boating industry product, trailers included. It's very rare to see the ISO 9001 certification in any boat or boating product.

$0.02

thatsmrmastercraft
06-30-2012, 05:16 PM
I priced a BoatMate trailer here where they are made near Knoxville. For a single axle, standard features (nice set-up), ....$3,700.

The one you have could be rebuilt, all in what your budget allows.

I will say this, as a done deal all around, if I had the money to spare, a new trailer is a good investment and a good sense of security that all is well.

For that one to be of value, someone would have to be looking to tweak on that one and still have a minimal investment, or be wanting to use that one as a spare for boat work, boat storage, short haul, etc....

I say $500 out the door for the trailer as it is. $750 tops. Another $1,200 to make it right. So if you do a refurb, you can have a fairly new trailer (lights, brakes, wheel bearings, welding / fabrication, winch, etc) for say, $1,200 - $1,500. Maybe $2,000 worse case. Remember, brakes, brake lines, actuator, LEDs, tires, etc.....so now while yours is stripped down, do you blast and paint or powder coat?

The $3,700 is a nice new rig.. plus delivery.... BoatMate has a fairly good product, however there is always room for quality in any boating industry product, trailers included. It's very rare to see the ISO 9001 certification in any boat or boating product.

$0.02

Very interesting point.

Appling77
06-30-2012, 05:28 PM
Yes that is good info. I plan on restoring and keeping the boat for awhile. (if I can get it running right) lol
So a new trailer would make sense, especially after I put the money into refab a trailer that didn't go with the boat anyway.

JohnE
06-30-2012, 07:33 PM
I'd buy a boatmate if money allowed. I'd grab whatever I could for the trailer you have. Although that will still be a $3k upgrade on a $9-$12K boat. But worth it if you will keep it.

Appling77
07-01-2012, 12:34 AM
Yea im definitely keeping her I got her running right tonight!

h2oskifreak
07-01-2012, 02:29 PM
I sure would consider a new trailer if you are keping the boat. I redid an old trailer and was surprised how much it cost and the work involved. In the end, it didn't hold up like a new one would have. I guess I was trying to be penny wise and not sure it was wise in the end. FWIW

zsqure
07-08-2012, 03:24 PM
Find the correct pro star trailer for your boat, model and year. Run what you have until then. They can be found for around a grand. If you don't care what it sits on then spend the money on a new one. Some MC buyers would rather have a MC trailer. Kinda like GMC tailgate on your Chevy?

clevan
07-08-2012, 05:14 PM
I just priced a Magnum trailer for an 88 PS190. Single axle base trailer with surge brakes $4,500 plus TTL, add second axle, LED lights, aluminum wheels and spare, $5,500+. I am not sure but I believe they are built in Austin and have distributors in San Antonio, Georgetown, and San Marcos. I have seen a number of MC in the area sitting on Magnum trailers, look like nice trailers.

Appling77
07-09-2012, 08:30 PM
Find the correct pro star trailer for your boat, model and year. Run what you have until then. They can be found for around a grand. If you don't care what it sits on then spend the money on a new one. Some MC buyers would rather have a MC trailer. Kinda like GMC tailgate on your Chevy?

Yea ideally I would like the mc trailer that goes with it but they seem like they are hard to find.

zsqure
07-09-2012, 09:57 PM
Yea ideally I would like the mc trailer that goes with it but they seem like they are hard to find.

2001 MC ps190 trailer looks like white is the color for 2650 or so, located in alabama maybe? its on boat trader. There was one or two in Michigan last week also.

Appling77
07-10-2012, 04:23 AM
I didn't think about looking nationally I guess if I want one bad enough I could take a road trip. I live in ft worth tx. Would a 01 trailer work for a 91?