PDA

View Full Version : Disapointed!!

ourx15
06-30-2012, 09:01 AM
Well, I ordered my x15 in March. and was told it would be ready mid June. Well that didn't happen. Found out today that it might be in next week. July 3rd or 4th. The dealership has done everything they can to accomidate me. They have been great. But haven't heard why it's late, or if Mastercraft intends to appoligize or explain why this happened. This is my first Mastercraft, and thought it would be more pleasent. Instead I have been sitting for 2.5 weeks wondering where my boat is. is this happening to anyone else?

psychobilly
06-30-2012, 09:03 AM
I'm pissed too, rain today :-(

snork
06-30-2012, 09:54 AM
Mastercraft make boats in batch and has each model planned out well in advance, your dealer has a slot in production and is produced in a timely manner. It could be that the whole batch of x15 got bumped because of the new XStar??? Shoulda ordered a XStar

CantRepeat
06-30-2012, 10:04 AM
Mastercraft make boats in batch and has each model planned out well in advance, your dealer has a slot in production and is produced in a timely manner. It could be that the whole batch of x15 got bumped because of the new XStar??? Shoulda ordered a XStar

That's some pretty wild speculation right there.

Jim@BAWS
06-30-2012, 10:13 AM

WOW...that is news to me..when did they start doing that...inquiring minds would like to know

Jim@BAWS

JohnE
06-30-2012, 10:18 AM
It is not uncommon for there to be a several week delay on a new boat. My first new one kept getting pushed back. I was hoping to get it in December and it wasn't ready till the end of January

03geetee
06-30-2012, 10:59 AM
I see it this way, keep in mind its not going to make you feel any better, but these are the best boats in the world. They are in high demand and mastercraft isnt going to start cutting corners or rushing to hire people that dont know what they are doing to make them any faster.

Good things take time, this being one of them. When it arrives you will be so happy you have it the wait wont matter.

Just my .02

JTR

JDC
06-30-2012, 11:12 AM
I see it this way, keep in mind its not going to make you feel any better, but these are the best boats in the world. They are in high demand and mastercraft isnt going to start cutting corners or rushing to hire people that dont know what they are doing to make them any faster.

Good things take time, this being one of them. When it arrives you will be so happy you have it the wait wont matter.

Just my .02

JTRI would throw in the same 2 cents.
Good things come to those who wait.

snork
06-30-2012, 11:39 AM
Yes, entirely speculative, wasn't meant to be factual as per ??? Don't be so closed minded

Jim@BAWS
06-30-2012, 11:51 AM
Yes, entirely speculative, wasn't meant to be factual as per ??? Don't be so closed minded

"Mastercraft make boats in batch and has each model planned out well in advance, your dealer has a slot in production and is produced in a timely manner. It could be that the whole batch of x15 got bumped because of the new XStar??? Shoulda ordered a XStar"

You did not say that...I am not picking an arguement here...pure and simple this is how
BAD info gets put out. I will not go into how boats are ordered and how completion dates are set for dealers...but I am sorry to say you have BAD INFO...some folks read this verbatum and think everything on here is true " But I read it on TEAMTALK"...that does not make it gospel...so please be careful on what you say and how you say it!

Jim@BAWS

mikeg205
06-30-2012, 12:05 PM
"Mastercraft make boats in batch and has each model planned out well in advance, your dealer has a slot in production and is produced in a timely manner. It could be that the whole batch of x15 got bumped because of the new XStar??? Shoulda ordered a XStar"

You did not say that...I am not picking an arguement here...pure and simple this is how
BAD info gets put out. I will not go into how boats are ordered and how completion dates are set for dealers...but I am sorry to say you have BAD INFO...some folks read this verbatum and think everything on here is true " But I read it on TEAMTALK"...that does not make it gospel...so please be careful on what you say and how you say it!

Jim@BAWS

SO much for being true if it's on the internet.....;)...

snork
06-30-2012, 12:11 PM
So is that why Mastercraft are so expensive, do they make one model type one at a time?
I'm sorry Jim but I have seen build sheets and Mastercraft does make more than one model type at one time, unless my eyes have deceived me. For example, July 11th they might start a batch production on ten X15 for a number of dealerships, then on July 16th switch to ten x30 for the next batch.
If not, the BOD might think of some sort of reorganization from the top down

h2oskifreak
06-30-2012, 12:12 PM
Ask your dealer to let you take out a demo boat while you wait. Especially another brand, that way when your new MC arrives, you will be confirmed you made the right choice.

Ron Grover
06-30-2012, 12:15 PM

Just my .02

JTR

Just my $.02

I am the plant manager of a manufacturing plant. It's a poor way to manage plant production when you "manage by excuse." When production is scheduled the production team needs to ensure the plan takes place. You don't make commitments without the info to make the deadline. No one says cut corners or rush. You build realistic schedules and produce to the plan. The plant and dealers must be on the same page, if not then the team needs work.

I side with the customer. If the commitment was mid-June then I'd be disappointed and upset too. After all I'm sure the boat was ordered to use this summer and summer is ticking by and no boat.

I'm not really a hard a$$ at work but I do expect results and living up to commitments from every single person on the team from top to bottom. After all I'm the guy that ultimately answers to the customers.

Lucky26
06-30-2012, 12:19 PM
Better late I think. The longer they take, the more chance they will have to get fixes to the many software issues.

03geetee
06-30-2012, 12:42 PM
Just my $.02

I am the plant manager of a manufacturing plant. It's a poor way to manage plant production when you "manage by excuse." When production is scheduled the production team needs to ensure the plan takes place. You don't make commitments without the info to make the deadline. No one says cut corners or rush. You build realistic schedules and produce to the plan. The plant and dealers must be on the same page, if not then the team needs work.

I side with the customer. If the commitment was mid-June then I'd be disappointed and upset too. After all I'm sure the boat was ordered to use this summer and summer is ticking by and no boat.

I'm not really a hard a$$ at work but I do expect results and living up to commitments from every single person on the team from top to bottom. After all I'm the guy that ultimately answers to the customers.

If he was buying some pallets of paper or some bulk good that is mass produced I would agree. When you build a customize boat which is why people buy mastercrafts in the first place expect the original posters scenario. This is just amplified when a one off product is in high demand.

All I was trying to say.

JTR

Jim@BAWS
06-30-2012, 12:53 PM
Mastercraft does not start a group of X15s all at the same time. They do not hav 20 molds for X15s.
Production of different models is scheduled out in advance. You need to get an assigned slot for the product that the dealer wants or has requested then MC plugs all that info and sets production. But MC does not so called BATCH a group of simliar boat for production at the same time. At the factory there maybe a 197 being built right next to an X Star

Jim@BAWS

Ron Grover
06-30-2012, 01:33 PM
If he was buying some pallets of paper or some bulk good that is mass produced I would agree. When you build a customize boat which is why people buy mastercrafts in the first place expect the original posters scenario. This is just amplified when a one off product is in high demand.

All I was trying to say.

JTR

Sorry, that still doesn't cut it with me. MC has been building customized and specialty boats for over 40 years. NO EXCUSES.

JTR, do you work for MC or something? Our plant makes specialty products and relies on raw material suppliers from all over the country and Canada. You do what you have got to do and make no excuses. Our customers count on us to make on time deliveries. Why should the expectations be any different for MC.

501s
06-30-2012, 03:13 PM
I think if you are PROMISED your $85k boat on a date, and pay the deposit and plan your summer around it the boat should arrive on time. If it doesn't the only person who loses is the owner because they have trips or vacations planned with their over priced toy.

I have only ordered 2 new boats and both were late by about a month and I had to push to get them when I did. It almost seems like the norm, but I don't think thats ok. Imagine how happy customers would be if they arrived ahead of schedule?

Ron Grover
06-30-2012, 03:14 PM
Put this thread together with this one:http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=48886

Some managers at MC need to be reading this board.

mikeg205
06-30-2012, 03:19 PM
Well, I ordered my x15 in March. and was told it would be ready mid June. Well that didn't happen. Found out today that it might be in next week. July 3rd or 4th. The dealership has done everything they can to accomidate me. They have been great. But haven't heard why it's late, or if Mastercraft intends to appoligize or explain why this happened. This is my first Mastercraft, and thought it would be more pleasent. Instead I have been sitting for 2.5 weeks wondering where my boat is. is this happening to anyone else?

If you want to get out - I can take you out.... are you semi local to me?? My 205 should be able to accommodate while you wait for your new ride.

I know it's screwin' up your summer but I am willing to help you out.

mikeg205
06-30-2012, 03:26 PM
Run down to Venore and ask for a plant tour...they are open to that...you can ask a bunch of tough questions and report back to us here... no sarcasm... imagine if concerned consumers (buyers) started showing up and being professional and wanting to see plant tours and then asking where their boat is in production?

MIskier
06-30-2012, 04:43 PM
The boat may very well have been built on time but the biggest logistical issue is getting the boat to the dealer. They wont just transport your boat to insure it arrives when the dealer said it would.

ourx15
06-30-2012, 05:31 PM
Thanks for the offer for a pull. But i live up in Canada. And like I said, the dealer has been great. They have given me a 2007 Supra 24ssv. The only problem i have is... I spent alot of money on this boat. And I am sorry, but mastercraft needs to deliver on the dates they have set. I understand this takes time. In that case don't tell me it will be here in June set more realistic dates. Or contact buyer and compinsate them, or update them, and tell them it will be late. The dealer is doing everything they can to keep me happy, but haven't herd anything from Mastercraft. Other than it will be late. No appolige from Mastercraft, nothing. Many appoligies from the dealership, but #@!!all from Mastercraft. They say they're big on customer service??? But I haven't herd from them yet. Am I out of line thinking this way???

mikeg205
06-30-2012, 05:50 PM
Thanks for the offer for a pull. But i live up in Canada. And like I said, the dealer has been great. They have given me a 2007 Supra 24ssv. The only problem i have is... I spent alot of money on this boat. And I am sorry, but mastercraft needs to deliver on the dates they have set. I understand this takes time. In that case don't tell me it will be here in June set more realistic dates. Or contact buyer and compinsate them, or update them, and tell them it will be late. The dealer is doing everything they can to keep me happy, but haven't herd anything from Mastercraft. Other than it will be late. No appolige from Mastercraft, nothing. Many appoligies from the dealership, but #@!!all from Mastercraft. They say they're big on customer service??? But I haven't herd from them yet. Am I out of line thinking this way???

I would be P.o'd too...and I would schedule a factory tour in Venore MC's are expensive and MC should take a lesson from Lexus on how to treat its customers ... I bring my 205 to Kenora every summer for 2 weeks...Just one lake off of Lake of the Woods.

Maybe the brain-iacs at Wayzata partners no better than us consumers - MC is rebuilding since 2009, I can't even imagine how some of the employees must feel. Lot's of changes at MC from what we all know of from pre-2008 business practice.

I bet the new stakeholders that helped MC avoid bankruptcy are forcing production and customer service execution decisions.

Go figure - buy a 80K boat and have a poor start-up experience.

mikeg205
06-30-2012, 05:57 PM
Ok... this may shed some info on what's happening....

http://wayzatainvestmentpartners.com/content/blogcategory/68/42/

Wayzata - We take a leadership role in creating and managing each investment in the portfolio. So as in every public or privately invested companies, it's more about return on investment than customer satisfaction, even though customer satisfaction builds shareholder value.

IMO - If I was a partner at Wayzata - I would be making changes at the factory in Vonore, TN.

thatsmrmastercraft
06-30-2012, 06:04 PM
Ok... this may shed some info on what's happening....

http://wayzatainvestmentpartners.com/content/blogcategory/68/42/

Wayzata - We take a leadership role in creating and managing each investment in the portfolio. So as in every public or privately invested companies, it's more about return on investment than customer satisfaction, even though customer satisfaction builds shareholder value.

IMO - If I was a partner at Wayzata - I would be making changes at the factory in Vonore, TN.

That clears everything up.:rolleyes:

snork
06-30-2012, 06:05 PM

If it an issue with logistics then take a trip to the factory, do a tour then take the boat back with you. Something I did a few years back but never got compensated for it :(

mikeg205
06-30-2012, 06:23 PM
That clears everything up.:rolleyes:

Yeah - more about building shareholder value and not being concerned about each and every delivery...it's not like they are producing thousands of boats a month... probably had some vendor delay or somebody took a day off, maybe a boat construction start had issues and had to be restarted...yadda yadda....

Pay some overtime to some employees to try to get caught up and deliver boats on time is out of the question.... They have all the orders for this season... why ratchet up costs when you can just be late...sounds like a management decision to be dollar foolish and have your prospective customers consider alternatives.

snork
06-30-2012, 06:29 PM
What alternatives?

mikeg205
06-30-2012, 06:49 PM
What alternatives?

If initial quality ticks enough people off then Bubu and CC may have a chance...EastTX is a convert and very knowledgeable...They already lost EastTx and he's a moderator on this forum....Thread jack alert... why is there a non-MC owner as a moderator...lol... :D

JohnE
06-30-2012, 07:22 PM
Wow this thread is ridiculous. And FWIW Eastie (by choice long before switching brands) isn't a mod here anymore. It's been about 4 or 5 years.

All this uproar over a boat being a few weeks behind schedule? That is normal. I'm not saying it's right but that was my experience in 2008 and 2009. And the bs about being compensated??? If your dealer has been in business for more than 3 months then he knows it is the norm. He just didn't want to tell you that instead of June it could be early August before you get the boat. He's passing it off as factory fault, but don't tell me he has consistently received a boat on the day it was scheduled to arrive. If he did his job he would have told you that boats never arrive on schedule. Ask him point blank if this is the one and only time he didn't get a boat at the date he was told it would arrive. As MI said, some or much is solely on the shipping aspect. If the boat is done they are not going to send one special delivery. They are going to wait for it to make sense logistically. Problem is that this is prime time. If this were January the thread never would have existed.

ourx15
06-30-2012, 07:47 PM
Didn't mean to offend you. I'm just saying... Why set a date you can't complete by. This is my first experiance buying a new boat. You are telling me that this happens alot? Why do they make unrealistic dilivery dates? Why not make there delivery dates later. Then if you ever get it early, its a bonus. IMO, as far as being compensated, damn rights. The company didn't deliver when they said they could. And you are telling me this happens frequently, then definitly the company should be held accountable.....

mikeg205
06-30-2012, 07:48 PM
Timing is everything... and there was no shot at East-tx...just tryin to keep it light...

JohnE
06-30-2012, 08:00 PM
Didn't mean to offend you. I'm just saying... Why set a date you can't complete by. This is my first experiance buying a new boat. You are telling me that this happens alot? Why do they make unrealistic dilivery dates? Why not make there delivery dates later. Then if you ever get it early, its a bonus. IMO, as far as being compensated, damn rights. The company didn't deliver when they said they could. And you are telling me this happens frequently, then definitly the company should be held accountable.....

I'm not offended in the least. Believe me the factory never promised anything. These dates change daily. They are nothing more than tentative dates and are not billed as anything else. Trust me your dealer is not unaware of this. He could have outlined that it would definitely be in your hands by mid August and possibly earlier. He just chose the other route. The factory not promising dealers a date and then failing. Being compensated is the most ridiculous thing I have heard of. But then I don't know what your dealer promised you. Bottom line is that you should hold your dealer accountable. How long have they been a mc dealer.

BTW, this is not meant as a personal attack. As you said this is your first new boat purchase. All the more reason I hold your dealer accountable. You admittedly had no idea about the process.

CantRepeat
06-30-2012, 08:42 PM
So is that why Mastercraft are so expensive, do they make one model type one at a time?
I'm sorry Jim but I have seen build sheets and Mastercraft does make more than one model type at one time, unless my eyes have deceived me. For example, July 11th they might start a batch production on ten X15 for a number of dealerships, then on July 16th switch to ten x30 for the next batch.
If not, the BOD might think of some sort of reorganization from the top down

I just have to pile on what BAWS said... they don't have 10 X30 molds just sitting there waiting to be filled.

SPECULATION turns into bull**** pretty fast.

CantRepeat
06-30-2012, 08:45 PM
If initial quality ticks enough people off then Bubu and CC may have a chance...EastTX is a convert and very knowledgeable...They already lost EastTx and he's a moderator on this forum....Thread jack alert... why is there a non-MC owner as a moderator...lol... :D

You couldn't be more full of **** over why Eastie isn't a mod here.

I normally don't get into the personal **** like this but you're an idiot for that comment. You have no clue what you're talking about.

snork
06-30-2012, 08:52 PM
OK, 10 molds is little overboard on my example theres more likely 3-4 molds of every model with the exception to the ten X300 molds

milkmania
06-30-2012, 09:27 PM
The boat may very well have been built on time but the biggest logistical issue is getting the boat to the dealer. They wont just transport your boat to insure it arrives when the dealer said it would.

That's why there's Hot-Shots.
If a manufacturer lost a couple thousand dollars on a $85,000 purchase, it might be some incentive to meet the danged deadline.

If I gave a deadline to a customer... I'd be doing everything in my power to meet that deadline.
If I couldn't meet it, that customer would be in the loop.
Open and honest communication is vital to success and keeping the customer happy.

what would happen if you added into your purchase, a little contract of your own? Something like, buyer receives $100.00 per day (from manufacturer) for every day beyond the promised date....
15 days late buys $1500.00 worth of toys or fuel.

I guess they've got so many customers paying upwards of $85,000 that it doesn't matter if they piss a few of them off.... :rolleyes:

it all boils down to expectations and accountability!

CantRepeat
06-30-2012, 09:37 PM
OK, 10 molds is little overboard on my example theres more likely 3-4 molds of every model with the exception to the ten X300 molds

Really?

JulioX2
06-30-2012, 09:54 PM
I think OURX15 feels in the dark with the delivery date. I'd be p!$$ed off to if I was given a date and they failed to come through. And not getting any updates whatsoever isn't good for business. Being in Canada, our summers are short and we gotta make the best of it. I feel your pain.

OURX15, you could try and get on the MAstercraft facebook page and ask them about the progress on your boat. I know in the past they've posted pictures of customers builds in progress.

snork
06-30-2012, 11:01 PM
You crack me up CantRepeat
Did I type ten X300? I meant ten x355 molds all of which are made in Dubai
By the time ourx15 gets his boat 2013 models will be hitting the water

holdenh2o
06-30-2012, 11:34 PM
Just my $.02

This is the right perspective. While good things may come to those that wait, a slippery slope is created when so many make excuses for large corps. Why have an delivery date of mid-June. Mind you, with a 3+ month lead time on a production slot that has already been reserved??

BrianT
07-01-2012, 12:29 AM
I'd be not asking the dealer why they didn't give more accurate info regarding the delivery time. Am I to assume that they were totally unaware that your boat was going to be late sooner in the build process? I would have guessed that they knew sooner than they are maybe letting on.

As far as making someone pay a late penalty? Seriously?? There is NO way MC or a dealer is going to agree to non sense like that... When it comes to manufacturing there always is going to be inconsistency's. Another vendor maybe late on a product etc. Go ahead and see how far writing in a late penalty gets you.... It won't happen.

OURX15, yes we have short seasons up here up I'd ask your dealer some hard pointed questions about them "not knowing" your boat was going to be late. I'm betting they knew. And if you are getting the use of another boat in the meantime, be thankful.. At least you are on the water, even if it' s not your boat.

Good luck and I certainly hope it gets here soon. We were out today and the weather was awesome. Going for another rip Monday.

onebadrubi
07-01-2012, 12:40 AM
Standard manufacturing procedure is to tool the line for a boat. Meaning they slot a certain amount of days for a model. Now, accessories can differ, but the gist of the boat will be the same. Example being they will have so many days alloted for X15's. This could be to build two or 10. It all depends on their manufacturing schedule. They could then build 20 x25's in a row, then come back to a few x15's. But.... I sure hope that the company that I love is not making a x15, then xstar, then 197, and so on and so on. You are creating inconsistency, raising manufacture cost, and the end only hurting the consumer.

I do not know anything about the MC manufacturing process. I will put that in this for a disclaimer. But, I do know they are slotted and your dealer only has so many slots that he has to put in for early in the years. Your dealer can not call right now and get whatever you want made... It would take some serious juggling and probably other dealers willing to wiggle. These slots are laid out by inteligent people at MC to lower manufacturing cost, order materials, and set delivery dates.

My thoughts why it could be late.

1) Wrong date given for delivery
2) Problem found in manufacturing, most likely before your boat, or maybe even in another model. And this cause a complete back up in the schedule.
3) Raw material issue
4) Transportation/Delivery. You are over the border. Could this have something to do with delivery? In the US we have more dealers close to each other, so logistics are probably much easier than up there for MC.

I really hate to hear this situation. Being a manufacturer's rep on other products I know this happens every day in many products! Companies have so many people involved in the manufacturing and delivery of one product, that the chance for the ball to be dropped is so great. I'm proud your dealer is taking care of you by giving you a boat to use. I know the MC dealer I am closest too would most likely not do that. Hence why I would not buy a boat from them again.

onebadrubi
07-01-2012, 12:43 AM
One more thing. If your boat is behind a few weeks, everyone's is! Just a thought.

vision
07-01-2012, 01:31 AM
My new one is coming 4 weeks early. I feel lucky.

mikeg205
07-01-2012, 08:28 AM
You couldn't be more full of **** over why Eastie isn't a mod here.

I normally don't get into the personal **** like this but you're an idiot for that comment. You have no clue what you're talking about.

Sorry, never intended to offend anyone here. Never meant to..

psychobilly
07-01-2012, 08:33 AM
Dang and I was just upset that it was raining yesterdee.....

JohnE
07-01-2012, 10:24 AM
That's why there's Hot-Shots.
If a manufacturer lost a couple thousand dollars on a $85,000 purchase, it might be some incentive to meet the danged deadline.

Milk, the point is that there is no way the Manufacturer promised to deliver by any deadline. Which makes the rest of your post immaterial. Aside from this I agree with what you wrote.

milkmania
07-01-2012, 12:39 PM
Milk, the point is that there is no way the Manufacturer promised to deliver by any deadline. Which makes the rest of your post immaterial. Aside from this I agree with what you wrote.

I may have read it wrong but the OP's first line said it would be ready "mid-June"
That sounded like a deadline to me, that's all I was basing my post on.:o
it sounds like he had an expectation.

milkmania
07-01-2012, 01:00 PM
Penalty clauses are added to contracts all the time... if the two parties don't agree on it, they don't sign the contract.

At a previous employer, we bid school contracts all the time.....lots of give & take, but we had to remain competitive also.
And in another contract we had to sign a penalty clause.... since we created a product for many different stores, one of those stores had us sign a penalty clause that if a competitor's product was inadvertently shipped to their store and off-loaded into their facility.... we were subject to a $10,000 fine.
In order to be awarded the contract, we had to agree to their policies.

JohnE
07-01-2012, 01:05 PM
I may have read it wrong but the OP's first line said it would be ready "mid-June"
That sounded like a deadline to me, that's all I was basing my post on.:o
it sounds like he had an expectation.

Yes mid June is what the DEALER promised. And now dealer pawns it off as if the factory didn't meet some promised deadline. The factory never gives a deadline

JTNG
07-01-2012, 01:28 PM
OK so this is how it went for me! Wife and I decided on the new X30 after our dealer in Portland gave us a test drive on the 1st one that he got in and that was in May. He showed me his MC list of boats that he reserved for build for his inventory, some X30's and X25's and others. He had already chosen color combos, engine, accessories, etc... on most of them so they where unable to be changed. There was one X30 that had not been dialed in yet, and we had 2 weeks to make a decision on it before it went to build on the 12th of June. So we submitted our build in the last week of May. On June 12th my dealer called me and told me that we have a VIN number. I tried getting updates like photos of the build and where it was in production but my dealer couldnt give me any answers, saying his MC rep couldnt get any pictures or updates and that when he heard from the Delivery Truck Driver he would know when it was going to be here. My dealer did give me an expected date of somewhere around the 1st of July. Got a phone call on Friday June 29th to bring in my X14V and that my new boat was going to be here on July 3rd. So I get to be there when it is off loaded from the Semi Tuesday morning around 8am. I am pleased with the build and delivery time just wish MC could communicate with their dealers better with time frames and photos and such!:D

TheWoons
07-01-2012, 01:38 PM
I didn't read through the entire thread but I can tell you that this year we ordered a new X25 and once our specs were sent it arrived 4 weeks later. Pretty impressive.

bjames
07-03-2012, 02:23 PM
My local dealer did warn me that the estimated delivery date was ONLY a target date based on completion and estimated shipping, but in reality the shipping depends on when other boats are being shipped to that dealer - meaning they have to wait for a full trailer load (I think 5 boats fit on a semi truck) of new MC boats are destined to that dealer. So if your boat is the first boat finished, you may have to wait till the 5th boat is completed to fill the trailer. I was told that once the trailer is full, its only 3 days from mfg to Alberta dealer.