PDA

View Full Version : Official: "Its College Football Season" Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43

93Prostar190
11-15-2017, 05:45 PM
Yo TimR ... I really like your post below .... it feels so true at times.

I think my OSU Buckeyes have been on the favorable side of the Committee and even the BCS over the years ..... our losses seem to come earlier in the year and we get in ... this year ..... it would really take a miracle.

My Top 4 right now ...

Bama
OU
Auburn
Miami

I think Bama, OU are locks.
SEC Championship may open a 2nd team.

Wisconsin losing to OSU in the Big 10 will dash those hopes for the Big10.

Doubtful. Below is the actual committee mantra. Good luck figuring it out:

Championships matter...until they don't
Injuries will be taken into consideration...until they won't
Body of work is important...until it's not
Recency trumps body of work...until is doesn't
Strength of schedule matters...until it doesn't
margin of victory (or loss) doesn't matter...until it does

Timr71
11-15-2017, 06:15 PM
There is another part to this. It's the so called giant elephant in the room (or not in the room). The committee is suposed to be completely seperate and striving towards the singular goal of choosing the 4 best teams to populate the playoff bracket. Sounds pretty simple right?

But, what is actually best for ESPN? Highly rated football games. Games that have a mass appeal. Games that are not blow outs. Etc. It's no different with College Football than it is with any of the major big 4 pro sports. Huge markets bring bigger audiences.

I'm not implying that there's a sub agenda in the room relative to what would be best for the media (ESPN). But there is perhaps a coincidental agenda that gives that appearance. Here's how: The committee has a pretty good cross representaiton from the Power 5. Therefore, if someone or a group of someones are advocating on behalf of say the Big Ten, then they are keeping the scope of participation broad.

Let's just say before Georgia lost...if Bama, Georgia, Clemson +1 (ND or B1G champion) got in. That would actually be pretty bad from a regional and national appeal perspective. You'd have 3 teams from the relatively unpopulated southeast, and zero representation from the West Coast.

So, just keep watching what the committee does and in the back of your mind be skeptical. If they manage to railroad another team...like they did TCU in the first CFP, then it could be a result of this representation quoata that happens to align with the desires of the owner (ESPN).

And I agree that there's no point whatsoever in having these Tuesday night shows...it's made for TV filler.

LDA6339
11-16-2017, 12:22 AM
At the end of the day, Nick Saban and Jalen Hurts will be holding the National Championship trophy. No matter the 4 teams they let have a swing at it, there is not much money to be made betting against Alabama.

Wheelin98TJ
11-16-2017, 08:43 AM
At the end of the day, Nick Saban and Jalen Hurts will be holding the National Championship trophy. No matter the 4 teams they let have a swing at it, there is not much money to be made betting against Alabama.
Unless you have a Delorean and we can go back to 2015. :D

jsx30
11-16-2017, 08:44 AM

The last few years I would agree with you. But, this year, I'm not so sure. Bama's defensive line is decimated. With the iron bowl being in auburn, I would argue that Bama is not even a lock for the Sec championship game. An iron bowl loss for bama would make choosing the top 4 extremely difficult. A sec championship for auburn would make it impossible. It will be really interesting, does a 2 loss sec championship auburn team get into the top 4. What happens if auburn wins out, and Miami beats clemson? Does auburn get picked over a 2 loss Clemson team and a 1 loss bama team? So many different Way that it could play out but an auburn sec champion will screw it all up...

Mastercraftdave
11-16-2017, 08:54 AM
LSU exposed a weakness by scoring 10 points?? I mean 10 points, really? The only thing LSU exposed last week is they are terrible and they gained another L all while proving they need a new head coach. I mean you lost to Troy!!!

The only thing MSST did was take full advantage of 4th string starters because of injuries.

Auburn beats GA year in and year out and it has no impact on the Iron Bowl.

LSU out gained Bama in total yards and time of possession. LSU is a young team that lost to Troy and has since bounced back to beat Auburn (#6), who just pummeled the #1 team. If LSU has a better QB, which has been the same knock year in and year out, they beat Bama.

Why do they need a new head coach? They put up the more yards on Bama, than the last 6 tries and really controlled the clock, they just don't have a QB that can change the game.

Bama is very beatable and if Auburn watches what State/ LSU did, they will beat Bama as they are very similar to State but with a better defense. Injuries happen to every team, and the injury bug is hitting Bama at a bad time.

Mastercraftdave
11-16-2017, 08:56 AM
The last few years I would agree with you. But, this year, I'm not so sure. Bama's defensive line is decimated. With the iron bowl being in auburn, I would argue that Bama is not even a lock for the Sec championship game. An iron bowl loss for bama would make choosing the top 4 extremely difficult. A sec championship for auburn would make it impossible. It will be really interesting, does a 2 loss sec championship auburn team get into the top 4. What happens if auburn wins out, and Miami beats clemson? Does auburn get picked over a 2 loss Clemson team and a 1 loss bama team? So many different Way that it could play out but an auburn sec champion will screw it all up...

Auburn could really screw it all up. The Iron bowl will be a great game to watch.

I don't how the SEC champion is left our regardless as you would have beaten two top 10 teams in back to back weeks.

CantRepeat
11-16-2017, 09:04 AM
Auburn could really screw it all up. The Iron bowl will be a great game to watch.

I don't how the SEC champion is left our regardless as you would have beaten two top 10 teams in back to back weeks.

The same way Penn was left out last year.

Given how crazy the committee acts, Auburn could beat Bama, lose to GA and Bama could still get in. It's like darts at a dart board.

Mastercraftdave
11-16-2017, 09:07 AM
The same way Penn was left out last year.

Given how crazy the committee acts, Auburn could beat Bama, lose to GA and Bama could still get in. It's like darts at a dart board.

I agree, there is no consistency. I think a previous post was very truthful in that the committee will try and put different teams from different Geographic's in for ratings.

I still believe a One Loss Bama team is better than most of these other teams due to Nick Saban alone.

CantRepeat
11-16-2017, 09:12 AM
LSU out gained Bama in total yards and time of possession. LSU is a young team that lost to Troy and has since bounced back to beat Auburn (#6), who just pummeled the #1 team. If LSU has a better QB, which has been the same knock year in and year out, they beat Bama.

Why do they need a new head coach? They put up the more yards on Bama, than the last 6 tries and really controlled the clock, they just don't have a QB that can change the game.

Bama is very beatable and if Auburn watches what State/ LSU did, they will beat Bama as they are very similar to State but with a better defense. Injuries happen to every team, and the injury bug is hitting Bama at a bad time.

Auburn wasn't #6 when they played LSU.

Total yards 306 vs 299 I could see how you would think 7 yards is something to crow about. TA&M put up more yards on Bama then LSU did and they scored more points on Bama then LSU. TA&M had more time of possession then Bama did as well. LSU's game play was nothing special.

Let me preach on. MSST had more yards, more 1st downs and more TOP them LSU did but they still didn't manage a win from it. So both MSST and TA&M had better games against Bama then LSU did and none of them managed to gain a W.

Trying to dog pile on Bama using Auburn hoping that Auburn can get done what LSU could not makes my heart very warm!!

A hurt Bama defense held LSU to 3 points for almost 3 quarters.

Time of possession of 8 minutes more in a loss means nothing.

It was a pretty easy win for a hurt Bama team.

I can't wait for the Iron Bowl. We'll see just how well a hurt Bama team plays.

TBH, Jalen Hurts isn't all that good a QB. He has trouble identifying secondary receivers when the primary is covered up and he is under pressure. His play will not earn him a Heisman trip.

Bama is beatable, yet no one has done it.

jsx30
11-16-2017, 10:10 AM
If you haven't been watching the story about UAB football, this is a great article. In their first year back after being arbitrarily cancelled, they are 7-3, bowl eligible, and have a chance to beat a down Florida team in the swamp this week. To me, this is the best story in college football this year. If uab wins one more game, Bill Clark should be coach of the year...

https://247sports.com/Article/From-shut-down-to-bowl-eligible-The-story-behind-UABs-magical-2017-season-110470505

LDA6339
11-16-2017, 12:04 PM
https://www.thescore.com/ncaaf/news/1423035-alabama-fan-shoots-auburn-fan-during-iron-bowl-argument

Tensions are mounting in Alabama

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MMPRES
11-16-2017, 03:03 PM
https://www.thescore.com/ncaaf/news/1423035-alabama-fan-shoots-auburn-fan-during-iron-bowl-argument

If that's not proof that we take football seriously here in AL, I don't know what would be!
For the record, I would not pull a gun on someone for their opinion about football, but evidently there are some people that put fan in fanatic. (Insert Harvey Updike here)

CantRepeat
11-16-2017, 04:09 PM
If that's not proof that we take football seriously here in AL, I don't know what would be!
For the record, I would not pull a gun on someone for their opinion about football, but evidently there are some people that put fan in fanatic. (Insert Harvey Updike here)

I was gonna ask if anyone knew where he was at the time of the shooting!!! :D:D

jsx30
11-16-2017, 04:31 PM

I remember after the kick six game hearing about multiple shootings and a few deaths...

jsx30
11-16-2017, 04:35 PM
I am not a bama fan...but this is still a great shirt...

CantRepeat
11-16-2017, 04:39 PM
I am not a bama fan...but this is still a great shirt...

That shirt is complete satire genius!! :D

They should have put brother and sister over the Kamasutra!!!

jsx30
11-16-2017, 04:55 PM
That shirt is complete satire genius!! :D

They should have put brother and sister over the Kamasutra!!!

They should both have epic mullets...and they are probably too thin...

captain planet
11-16-2017, 05:02 PM

LOL.....I'm glad I just didn't take a drink or I'd have spit it all over my computer. :D8p

CantRepeat
11-16-2017, 05:37 PM

Dunno, with the meth epidemic going on they should be thinner!!! :D

Bama
11-16-2017, 10:55 PM
If you haven't been watching the story about UAB football, this is a great article. In their first year back after being arbitrarily cancelled, they are 7-3, bowl eligible, and have a chance to beat a down Florida team in the swamp this week. To me, this is the best story in college football this year. If uab wins one more game, Bill Clark should be coach of the year...

https://247sports.com/Article/From-shut-down-to-bowl-eligible-The-story-behind-UABs-magical-2017-season-110470505

Glad to see this for UAB and coach Clark. He is one hell of a football coach. He was the head football coach at our local high school for several years and led them to a few state championships. He brought national recognition to our local high school program, at one point I'm pretty sure we where ranked in the top 10 nationally. Roman Harper formally of the New Orleans Saints was one of his players.

Bama
11-16-2017, 11:11 PM

I was working on the auburn campus monday and was wearing my Alabama cap when one of the administrators walked by and told me that I had the wrong cap on. He said I better watch out, that I may get jumped. I laughed and told him that I wasn't too worried about it. I gave him a Roll Tide and he responded with War Eagle. This should be a good Iron Bowl just not one worth getting shot over. The better team doesn't always win this one, Auburn wins sometimes.

pmikler
11-17-2017, 07:25 AM
I think a previous post was very truthful in that the committee will try and put different teams from different Geographic's in for ratings .

I think its worse than just geography. I think the consider the size of the fan base. Penn getting left out last year has to do with ratings and ratings alone.

CantRepeat
11-17-2017, 08:11 AM
I think its worse than just geography. I think the consider the size of the fan base. Penn getting left out last year has to do with ratings and ratings alone.

When Penn got past over my first thought was some residual hidden feelings about Sandusy. That school and those students will be wrongfully paying for that *******'s actions for a long time.

pmikler
11-17-2017, 08:24 AM
I agree, there is no consistency. I think a previous post was very truthful in that the committee will try and put different teams from different Geographic's in for ratings.

I still believe a One Loss Bama team is better than most of these other teams due to Nick Saban alone.

When Penn got past over my first thought was some residual hidden feelings about Sandusy. That school and those students will be wrongfully paying for that *******'s actions for a long time.. I hadnt thought of that angle. You may be correct.

Timr71
11-17-2017, 10:32 AM

When Penn got past over my first thought was some residual hidden feelings about Sandusy. That school and those students will be wrongfully paying for that *******'s actions for a long time.

I think both of these things are probably true to a certain degree. Unfortunately for Penn State it was the perfect storm.

Penn State was the champion of the B1G, and Championships matter...until they don't.

CantRepeat
11-18-2017, 09:08 PM
tap tap tap

Auburn vs Mercer 24 - 10
Alabama vs Mercer 56 - 0

GA overrated and Auburn overrated!!

93Prostar190
11-19-2017, 09:22 AM
Although Army came out on the wrong end of it .... their game with North Texas last night was an epic back and forth battle!
Now on to Xichigan week here in Cbus!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

MC25
11-19-2017, 10:38 AM
Although Army came out on the wrong end of it .... their game with North Texas last night was an epic back and forth battle!
Now on to Xichigan week here in Cbus!

Go mean green! Was front row at last weeks game. Good to see our football program finally growing.

TyTanium
11-19-2017, 12:19 PM
Go mean green! Was front row at last weeks game. Good to see our football program finally growing.

Is that your QB on the Jumbotron?....she’s cute. :D

LDA6339
11-19-2017, 04:01 PM
tap tap tap

Auburn vs Mercer 24 - 10
Alabama vs Mercer 56 - 0

GA overrated and Auburn overrated!!

Auburn vs A&M: 42-27
Alabama vs A&M: 27-19

Alabama overrated!!

CantRepeat
11-19-2017, 04:53 PM

Alabama overrated!!

Holding TA&M to fewer points, thank you for making my point!

LDA6339
11-20-2017, 02:10 AM
Holding TA&M to fewer points, thank you for making my point!

Winning by a smaller margin, thanks for making mine!

CantRepeat
11-20-2017, 04:23 AM
Winning by a smaller margin, thanks for making mine!

It warms my heart to do so.

Bama
11-20-2017, 06:48 AM

Alabama overrated!!

Overrated?
Undefeated!
an overrated team wins on luck, an undefeated team wins by overcoming obstacles.

CantRepeat
11-20-2017, 11:05 AM

Alabama overrated!!

Overrated?
Undefeated!
an overrated team wins on luck, an undefeated team wins by overcoming obstacles.

http://images6.fanpop.com/image/answers/3135000/3135990_1358864803948.11res_240_180.jpg

kscrib
11-20-2017, 11:21 AM
Overrated?
an undefeated team wins by overcoming obstacles.

Or by playing a cupcake schedule....

Double D
11-20-2017, 11:24 AM

I agree with this statement...

CantRepeat
11-20-2017, 12:11 PM

Yeah, that's how everyone else does it.

Bama played 8 conference games and 4 non and one of those nons was #3 the first week of the season. It's not Bama's fault the rest of the conference went to poop.

kscrib
11-20-2017, 12:22 PM

Bama played 8 conference games and 4 non and one of those nons was #3 the first week of the season. It's not Bama's fault the rest of the conference went to poop.

Really?!?!? Mercer is not cupcake? Mercer is a conference opponent??? By "#3" - you mean the 4-6 Florida State Seminoles, that are not even going to be bowl eligible???

I actually respect the FSU game, but Mercer? Really? Mercer???? at the end of the season when a team should be show casing its strength????

LDA6339
11-20-2017, 12:51 PM
Overrated?
Undefeated!

http://images6.fanpop.com/image/answers/3135000/3135990_1358864803948.11res_240_180.jpg

See here

CantRepeat
11-20-2017, 01:05 PM
Really?!?!? Mercer is not cupcake? Mercer is a conference opponent??? By "#3" - you mean the 4-6 Florida State Seminoles, that are not even going to be bowl eligible???

I actually respect the FSU game, but Mercer? Really? Mercer???? at the end of the season when a team should be show casing its strength????

One team does not make a cupcake schedule.

Mercer is not in the SEC so yes, it's a non conference game for Bama.

I don't make the rankings and when Bama played them they were 0-0 #3. I guess that defeat really demoralized them to the point they fell apart.

MMPRES
11-20-2017, 01:06 PM

Auburn and Bama have scheduled tune up games of some sort before the Iron Bowl in recent history. I'll grant you Bama has had a lower strength of schedule this year than in the recent past. A lot of that can be attributed to the tumultuousness of the SEC right now with coaching changes/scandals and FSU not living up to the hype (after losing their quarterback). Not to make an excuse, but Alabama's UNDEFEATED so far. Hard to say any team is going to perform at its peak when they have a target on their back every week.

All that being said. The Iron Bowl this weekend is going to be epic.
Really shocked it's not the primetime game. Seems like a perfect one to have an night. Although it's probably a good thing they'll have less time to tailgate at Jordan-Hare.

TyTanium
11-20-2017, 01:17 PM
Really?!?!? By "#3" - you mean the 4-6 Florida State Seminoles, that are not even going to be bowl eligible???

You can make other arguements against Alabama but this one shows you’re really trying to twist the numbers.

Alabama has the second highest margin of victory against FSU and they’re the only team to play against FSU’s starting quarterback. If Francois was healthy, FSU would be a 2 or 3 loss team right now.

kscrib
11-20-2017, 01:36 PM
You can make other arguements against Alabama but this one shows you’re really trying to twist the numbers.

Alabama has the second highest margin of victory against FSU and they’re the only team to play against FSU’s starting quarterback. If Francois was healthy, FSU would be a 2 or 3 loss team right now.

I guess you missed this part..... "I actually respect the FSU game"

dvsone79
11-20-2017, 02:11 PM

I’m no bammer, but I agree with CR here. Anyone complaining about Bama’s strength of schedule is delusional. Come play a season in the SEC West and then we’ll talk. Yeah the SEC isn’t as good as it normally is, but it’s still the strongest conference in the nation and has been for at least the last decade.

kscrib
11-20-2017, 02:34 PM
Most every poll has the top 6 as: (in alphabetical order)

* Alabama - Mercer, Bama, SEC Championship(?)
* Auburn - Louisiana Monroe, Bama, SEC Championship(?)
* Clemson - Citadel, South Carolina, ACC Championship vs Miami
* Miami - Virginia, Pittsburgh, ACC Championship vs Clemson
* Oklahoma - KU, W. Virginia, Big 12 Championship (vs OK State or TCU)
* Wisconsin - Michigan, Minnesota, Big 10 Championship

But from what you know right now, and seeing their future opponents, how do you see the FINAL top 4 and why?

I predict that Bama will lose to Auburn. Then you have the SEC Championship which will pit GA vs Auburn in GA's back yard. Imagine what could happen if GA wins SEC Championship!

I don't think that Wisconsin can win back-to-back-to-back-to-back vs Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota, Big 10 Championship (just my guess). So I think they don't make the final cut.

I can see Clemson, Auburn and Oklahoma winning out. So that is 3 of my 4. I am struggling with my 4th....

I posted this a week ago and have not had any takers, yet. Many people seem to be talking about their team, but not about FBS overall. I am still sticking to my thought that Alabama will get beat by Auburn. I was wrong in thinking that Michigan would take down Wisconsin.

My final four in alphabetical order are: Auburn, Clemson, Oklahoma and Wisconsin

pmkkdx
11-20-2017, 04:38 PM
my picks in no particular order of finish ... Alabama, Miami, Oklahoma and Wisconsin

CantRepeat
11-20-2017, 05:06 PM
BTW: if you are playing the odds on Bama vs Auburnt, remember we are getting 3 of 5 injured starters back for that game.

captain planet
11-20-2017, 05:18 PM
BTW: if you are playing the odds on Bama vs Auburnt, remember we are getting 3 of 5 injured starters back for that game.

You on the team?

dvsone79
11-20-2017, 05:28 PM
I posted this a week ago and have not had any takers, yet. Many people seem to be talking about their team, but not about FBS overall. I am still sticking to my thought that Alabama will get beat by Auburn. I was wrong in thinking that Michigan would take down Wisconsin.

My final four in alphabetical order are: Auburn, Clemson, Oklahoma and Wisconsin

Auburn wins the Iron Bowl in a close one at home and spanks UGA again to become the first two-loss playoff team. Clemson takes care of SC and Miami. Wisco wins out. Bama gets in by way of most impressive loss amongst the one loss teams.

1. Wisconsin (only unbeaten team)
2. Clemson
3. Auburn
4. Bama

Bama beats Wisconsin and Auburn beats Clemson in the rematch. Title game is an Iron Bowl rematch. Bama wins that one. Very hard to beat the same team twice in one season, especially Bama.

I think that is actually Bama’s best chance. They’re hurting on defense right now and if they go to the SEC Championship game a week after the Iron Bowl then I give Georgia the edge in that one due to injuries. If anyone knows how to prepare for Bama, it’s Kirby.

Side note: This scenario would involve 3 rematches of regular season games.

93Prostar190
11-20-2017, 05:49 PM
Bama wins out .... In.
Miami wins out .... In. Clemson out.
Oklahoma wins out ... in.
Wisconsin loses to OSU in Big10 title game ... and yes ... OSU is in ..... boom.

MC25
11-20-2017, 06:41 PM
You on the team?

Dear lord. Mr. pot calling the kettle black... lol

rgardjr1
11-20-2017, 07:17 PM
I saw this one today ...

CantRepeat
11-20-2017, 08:37 PM
You on the team?

Hey everyone, look Mr suckeye has come back to troll. I get it. Your one and done team let you down again but it's no reason to troll the Alabama fan base about how WE are getting back starters.

See you in 8 years CP.

captain planet
11-20-2017, 09:00 PM
Hey everyone, look Mr suckeye has come back to troll. I get it. Your one and done team let you down again but it's no reason to troll the Alabama fan base about how WE are getting back starters.

See you in 8 years CP.

There is no 'e' in bandwagon.

kscrib
11-20-2017, 09:11 PM
Auburn wins the Iron Bowl in a close one at home and spanks UGA again to become the first two-loss playoff team. Clemson takes care of SC and Miami. Wisco wins out. Bama gets in by way of most impressive loss amongst the one loss teams.

1. Wisconsin (only unbeaten team)
2. Clemson
3. Auburn
4. Bama

Bama beats Wisconsin and Auburn beats Clemson in the rematch. Title game is an Iron Bowl rematch. Bama wins that one. Very hard to beat the same team twice in one season, especially Bama.

I think that is actually Bama’s best chance. They’re hurting on defense right now and if they go to the SEC Championship game a week after the Iron Bowl then I give Georgia the edge in that one due to injuries. If anyone knows how to prepare for Bama, it’s Kirby.

Side note: This scenario would involve 3 rematches of regular season games.

What do you predict happens to Oklahoma? You have them out of the playoffs.

TyTanium
11-20-2017, 11:00 PM
I guess you missed this part..... "I actually respect the FSU game"

I saw the “respect” sentence but it thought it was sarcasm because it was in such conflict with the rest of the post.

CantRepeat
11-21-2017, 02:01 AM
There is no 'e' in bandwagon.

No but there are two in "one and done"!!

BTW: "one and done"©®™

kscrib
11-21-2017, 10:52 AM
I saw the “respect” sentence but it thought it was sarcasm because it was in such conflict with the rest of the post.

I can see why you thought that my comment about FSU was sarcasm. That portion was not meant to be sarcastic, I should have been clearer.

At the start of the season, I was actually shocked to see #1 vs #3 and was pleased to see such a great match up so early in the year. In as much, I am always disappointed to see the SEC cupcake week the week before the iron bowl. Heck, why not just take a week off vs playing a FCS school?

What irked me this year is that Mercer sold the potential health of their athletes in order to pocket over $1M (combined income from playing Auburn and Alabama in the same year). I put the largest portion of that blame that on the Mercer administration, not on the FBS schools. Mercer is an FCS school with a 2015 enrollment of 8,600. Compared to the FBS schools of Alabama (37,665 in 2016) and Auburn (27,287 in 2015). Mercer student athletes are most likely to be physically smaller and according to their roster, they are a young team:

Fr. 29 30.53%
Jr. 5 5.26%
R-Fr. 19 20.00%
R-Jr. 12 12.63%
R-So. 14 14.74%
R-Sr. 1 1.05%
So. 5 5.26%
Sr. 10 10.53%

I feel in a contact sport like football, that it is irresponsible of the Mercer administration to play the larger, more physical opponents.

In the spirit of good football, Top ranked FBS teams playing middle of the road FCS teams is a joke. I would hope for at least a FBS vs FBS matchup. Heck, we only get a few weeks of football, I want as many good games as possible.

captain planet
11-21-2017, 12:36 PM
I can see why you thought that my comment about FSU was sarcasm. That portion was not meant to be sarcastic, I should have been clearer.

At the start of the season, I was actually shocked to see #1 vs #3 and was pleased to see such a great match up so early in the year. In as much, I am always disappointed to see the SEC cupcake week the week before the iron bowl. Heck, why not just take a week off vs playing a FCS school?

What irked me this year is that Mercer sold the potential health of their athletes in order to pocket over $1M (combined income from playing Auburn and Alabama in the same year). I put the largest portion of that blame that on the Mercer administration, not on the FBS schools. Mercer is an FCS school with a 2015 enrollment of 8,600. Compared to the FBS schools of Alabama (37,665 in 2016) and Auburn (27,287 in 2015). Mercer student athletes are most likely to be physically smaller and according to their roster, they are a young team:

Fr. 29 30.53%
Jr. 5 5.26%
R-Fr. 19 20.00%
R-Jr. 12 12.63%
R-So. 14 14.74%
R-Sr. 1 1.05%
So. 5 5.26%
Sr. 10 10.53%

I feel in a contact sport like football, that it is irresponsible of the Mercer administration to play the larger, more physical opponents.

In the spirit of good football, Top ranked FBS teams playing middle of the road FCS teams is a joke. I would hope for at least a FBS vs FBS matchup. Heck, we only get a few weeks of football, I want as many good games as possible.

I agree. What a joke. BUT, sometimes a small school can pull the upset. Remember this?

captain planet
11-21-2017, 12:37 PM
Or this one?

captain planet
11-21-2017, 12:42 PM
Well, who are the seniors we can plug into this meme this year?

captain planet
11-21-2017, 12:49 PM

MC25
11-21-2017, 01:02 PM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=46MsGQFrzPE

Maristar210
11-21-2017, 03:42 PM
CP is back and off his meds again.....

GO BLUE

jharmon203
11-21-2017, 04:22 PM
The next two weeks will prove quite a bit with the rankings. I personally don't feel that any teams that lose in the conference title games should get in. It makes those games meaningless. I understand last year that OSU got in having not played in the big ten title, but their only loss was away in happy valley. That place is hard to play in at night, we were on our third team that had a bye week before playing us. That's tough I don't care who you are.

Anyways, conference titles are played on neutral fields. If there was home team advantage, I could see the "rematch" idea, but they aren't. 3 weeks shouldn't make much of a difference.

This year is going to be a great example of having to win one to get in. Notre Dame? Go pound sand you pretentious Goldilocks and join a conference. SEC champ, ACC Champ, Big 12 Champ, and Big Ten Champ. Sorry PAC 12, this isn't your year.

pmkkdx
11-21-2017, 05:28 PM
The big 12 kinda screws the pooch since all teams have already played each other once ... so Oklahoma (7-1) will likely be playing TCU (6-2) and if TCU wins, they are theoretically tied since both will have lost to each other once and both lost to Iowa State ... so who is really the champion? I suspect TCU would be crowned for winning the championship match but OK strength of schedule would be higher ... it's a no win for the conference as it will likely knock the big 12 out of the top 4 for the playoff...

not being familiar with many of the other conferences, but do the other conferences have a championship that could pair two teams that have already played?

LDA6339
11-21-2017, 09:36 PM
It can happen in the SEC though its not common. Best team from the SEC west and best team from SEC east faceoff. Best is determined by conference W-L, with ties being broken by the head to head game. Frustrating thing about this is that because its one team from east and one from west, not always do the two best teams faceoff. Sometimes the two best SEC teams belong to the West or more rarely the east.

All this to explain its possible but rare for a rematch championship to occur. Auburn happened to play Georgia this year and could play them again in the conference title game but its not typical that that is the case.

dvsone79
11-22-2017, 09:21 AM
The big 12 kinda screws the pooch since all teams have already played each other once ... so Oklahoma (7-1) will likely be playing TCU (6-2) and if TCU wins, they are theoretically tied since both will have lost to each other once and both lost to Iowa State ... so who is really the champion? I suspect TCU would be crowned for winning the championship match but OK strength of schedule would be higher ... it's a no win for the conference as it will likely knock the big 12 out of the top 4 for the playoff...

not being familiar with many of the other conferences, but do the other conferences have a championship that could pair two teams that have already played?

Yes. It happened in 2010 between Auburn and South Carolina. And also in ‘04 I think between Auburn and Tennessee. Every SEC team plays 2 teams from the other division each season, so there is always the chance that the top teams from each division have already met during the regular season.

If Auburn wins the Iron Bowl, they’ll play UGA again.

captain planet
11-22-2017, 09:49 PM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=46MsGQFrzPE

can someone explain why I just wasted 5 minutes I'll never get back, or why this was posted as if it's relevant.

dvsone79
11-22-2017, 09:59 PM
can someone explain why I just wasted 5 minutes I'll never get back, or why this was posted as if it's relevant.

He even wrote “you didn’t go to school there bro” along with that link and you still clicked on it?

CantRepeat
11-22-2017, 10:04 PM

This would have been way better if you posted it to me. Well, other then it is to you as well.

captain planet
11-23-2017, 07:54 AM
He even wrote “you didn’t go to school there bro” along with that link and you still clicked on it?

......point taken.

CantRepeat
11-25-2017, 05:00 AM
So, who's loss is worse, Clemson or Miami?

CantRepeat
11-25-2017, 05:07 AM
All I can hope for is that no one offers him a job.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/21542164/bret-bielema-fired-arkansas-head-football-coach-five-seasons

_fng_
11-25-2017, 07:05 AM
It warms my heart to watch bert get fired from Arkansas after the dumpster fire his time there has been. And dang did he get FAT!

CantRepeat
11-25-2017, 09:23 AM
It warms my heart to watch bert get fired from Arkansas after the dumpster fire his time there has been. And dang did he get FAT!

Word on the street is they fired him right as he walked off the field!! :D

jsx30
11-25-2017, 01:18 PM
All I can hope for is that no one offers him a job.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/21542164/bret-bielema-fired-arkansas-head-football-coach-five-seasons

I'll be honest...the only reason I clicked on that link was to see if they included any pictures of Bielema's wife...

LDA6339
11-25-2017, 03:28 PM
My hatred for Auburn and my love of a good underdog story are causing an internal struggle. Roll Tide but keep it close! (For 3 quarters)

jsx30
11-25-2017, 04:03 PM
My hatred for Auburn and my love of a good underdog story are causing an internal struggle. Roll Tide but keep it close! (For 3 quarters)

I can see Georgia and Bama fans having some hate. There's nothing worse than having a game won and then losing it due to pure bad luck. But, I'm always surprised when a non GA non bama fan says they hate auburn...

trickskier
11-25-2017, 06:09 PM
C'MON Bama - Tim W-T-F???

captain planet
11-25-2017, 06:30 PM
Ahh, another batch of meatchicken seniors that will close their careers 0-4 against Ohio State. Happy trails fellas!

CantRepeat
11-25-2017, 06:52 PM
C'MON Bama - Tim W-T-F???

It's a tough one for sure. If ohio can get in as a non conference champ then so can Bama!!

Roll Tide!

Double D
11-25-2017, 07:15 PM
This has nothing to do with the playoffs.

Ohio State could have showed better, but a win is a win

Bama; figures. Im not surprised with this loss. Love it!!

LDA6339
11-25-2017, 07:15 PM
It's a tough one for sure. If ohio can get in as a non conference champ then so can Bama!!

Roll Tide!

My prediction: Bama edges into playoffs and wins it all this year.

pmikler
11-25-2017, 07:54 PM

Roll Tide!

And thats why I hate the committee - as a previous poster said everything maters until it doesnt. It belittles conference championships which is exactley what everyone didn't want. It is convienant argument for the fans of that team but leaves to much murkyness and argument

93Prostar190
11-25-2017, 08:17 PM
Chaos, going to be chaos .....

dvsone79
11-25-2017, 08:38 PM
War [email protected] Eagle! If Auburn continues to play like this then it won’t matter who the other 3 teams are. Solid D and Jarred Stidham is the man!

Tough fought game by both teams. Bama made Auburn earn it, for sure. Hope KJ is healthy for UGA next week though.

LDA6339
11-25-2017, 09:22 PM
War [email protected] Eagle! If Auburn continues to play like this then it won’t matter who the other 3 teams are. Solid D and Jarred Stidham is the man!

Tough fought game by both teams. Bama made Auburn earn it, for sure. Hope KJ is healthy for UGA next week though.

Did you watch the 2013 Iron Bowl? We didn’t watch the same game if you think Bama made Auburn earn it, perhaps the worst disciplined game Bama has played under Nick Saban ever.

dvsone79
11-25-2017, 09:45 PM
Did you watch the 2013 Iron Bowl? We didn’t watch the same game if you think Bama made Auburn earn it, perhaps the worst disciplined game Bama has played under Nick Saban ever.

Maybe with your bammer goggles on that’s what you saw. I saw the toughest defense Auburn has faced all season, and the best QB they’ve had to try to contain. They had him dead to rights at least 5 times and he not only escaped but turned those plays into positive yardage. Auburn’s front four are all beasts, and the secondary played better than they have all season.

But yeah I get it. Try to save face by saying it was undisciplined. Truth is Bama has a great football team and they very well might still make the playoff. Things could get interesting if there is a rematch on a neutral field. I doubt most college football fans would want to see that but I would love it!

LDA6339
11-25-2017, 10:21 PM
Maybe with your bammer goggles on that’s what you saw. I saw the toughest defense Auburn has faced all season, and the best QB they’ve had to try to contain. They had him dead to rights at least 5 times and he not only escaped but turned those plays into positive yardage. Auburn’s front four are all beasts, and the secondary played better than they have all season.

But yeah I get it. Try to save face by saying it was undisciplined. Truth is Bama has a great football team and they very well might still make the playoff. Things could get interesting if there is a rematch on a neutral field. I doubt most college football fans would want to see that but I would love it!

I’m literally a student at Texas A&M, that cheers for Bama because literally all my friends from high school go there. If you wanna talk about rose colored goggles take your Blue and Orange ones off bud. But that rant was a good read.

jsx30
11-26-2017, 07:00 AM

I hate to say it, I will be surprised if KJ plays next week. Unless Gus told him to lay on the turf for awhile and play it up soccer style, he may be out. Seeing the replay for Kam Martins injury, I doubt he will be 100%. It will be a tough game for sure. If GA wins, I wonder who gets in...

dvsone79
11-26-2017, 09:34 AM
I’m literally a student at Texas A&M, that cheers for Bama because literally all my friends from high school go there. If you wanna talk about rose colored goggles take your Blue and Orange ones off bud. But that rant was a good read.

LMAO! Another bandwagon fan...

CantRepeat
11-26-2017, 09:38 AM

Hey, jackass!!! I'm THE #1 bandwagon fan around here and don't you forget it!! :D:D

CantRepeat
11-26-2017, 09:40 AM
I hate to say it, I will be surprised if KJ plays next week. Unless Gus told him to lay on the turf for awhile and play it up soccer style, he may be out. Seeing the replay for Kam Martins injury, I doubt he will be 100%. It will be a tough game for sure. If GA wins, I wonder who gets in...

Yeah he wasn't moving too fast. I hope it's nothing serious. I don't like the loss but I really don't like it when the kids get hurt.

dvsone79
11-26-2017, 09:44 AM

Yeah I’m afraid you’re probably right. Kam had his ankle taped and went back in so he’s probably ok to play next week. But def not 100%.

If UGA wins, they’re in.

dvsone79
11-26-2017, 09:45 AM
Hey, jackass!!! I'm THE #1 bandwagon fan around here and don't you forget it!! :D:D

LOL! Yeah CP won’t let any of us forget it!

ord27
11-26-2017, 12:13 PM
Bama should not be in. If they don't even go to their own conference champ game....it's a no brainer. not in
If Bama gets in, there's something still bias and wrong with college football

CantRepeat
11-26-2017, 12:36 PM
Bama should not be in. If they don't even go to their own conference champ game....it's a no brainer. not in

We said the same thing about ohio last year, but look what happened.

93Prostar190
11-26-2017, 01:48 PM
We said the same thing about ohio last year, but look what happened.

Ohio is a University in Athens , OH, Ohio State is the school you
Might be referring to which won the first ever college playoff!

Alabama still deserves one of the 4 spots but after next week not so sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

LDA6339
11-26-2017, 02:38 PM

You must have been asleep for literally any of my others posts in this thread, exception to the last 5 or so if you think I’m a band wagon bama fan. But I appreciate you acting this way on an internet forum, its the same classless experience I had in your stadium after the Aggies beat them last year, which is where my dislike for Auburn came from.

trickskier
11-26-2017, 04:41 PM
Dan Mullen hired by the Gators.

Dumbo Fisher headed to Texas A&M?

CantRepeat
11-26-2017, 04:54 PM

Wow, not sure what to think about that. You think it's a good match?

trickskier
11-26-2017, 05:04 PM
Wow, not sure what to think about that. You think it's a good match?
Would have preferred Chip Kelly but he's headed to UCLA. Mullen is a good QB Coach & he was the offensive coordinator under urban liar. Only TIME will tell......:rolleyes:

93Prostar190
11-26-2017, 05:47 PM
Schiano tp Tenn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jsx30
11-26-2017, 05:51 PM
If you have an instagram acct, these guys are worth following...

jsx30
11-26-2017, 06:08 PM
You must have been asleep for literally any of my others posts in this thread, exception to the last 5 or so if you think I’m a band wagon bama fan. But I appreciate you acting this way on an internet forum, its the same classless experience I had in your stadium after the Aggies beat them last year, which is where my dislike for Auburn came from.

I hate that you had a bad experience there. I've heard multiple opposite stories of opposing fans having a different experience in Auburn. Unfortunately, there are jacka*ses in every fan base. I'm sorry that you ran into a few of them. But, I don't believe that's typical...

dvsone79
11-26-2017, 08:31 PM

Geez, lighten up. It’s too bad you had a bad experience at Auburn. That def is not the norm. And this thread has more than 10,000 posts. I’m sure I missed a lot of what you posted. I’m not about to go back through the whole thing. Ain’t nobody got time fo’ dat!

LDA6339
11-26-2017, 09:47 PM
Well for whatever its worth I’m Auburns biggest fan this week because them rolling Georgia over (again) will help the Tide get back in to the top 4. I want to see Bama get in and play OU first round so Baker Mayfield can play against a real tough SEC defense and see how he holds up. Then an Iron Bowl rematch for the title would be cool to see as well. Not my predictions just what I’m hoping for.

TyTanium
11-27-2017, 12:08 AM

Isn’t the job of the committee to select the best 4 teams? Using your logic we would never have 2 teams from the same division in the playoffs.....and I guess Notre Dame would never get in.

CantRepeat
11-27-2017, 07:48 AM
If any of the top 4 teams lose it's a coin toss as to who gets in.

Judging by the new coach/AP polls no one knows who's the best team.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/rankings

TayMC197
11-27-2017, 08:50 AM
If you have an instagram acct, these guys are worth following...

Lol this was the only thing that cheered me up after the game. There was one girl stuck in the hedges, we were more interested in that than hearing Saban speak. From the article below, it appears they got her out. :D

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2017/11/26/16697888/auburn-alabama-iron-bowl-2017

CantRepeat
11-27-2017, 09:25 AM
Lol this was the only thing that cheered me up after the game. There was one girl stuck in the hedges, we were more interested in that than hearing Saban speak. From the article below, it appears they got her out. :D

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2017/11/26/16697888/auburn-alabama-iron-bowl-2017

That article is actually a good read. Well, so long as you omit the Kiffin crap.

kscrib
11-27-2017, 10:57 AM
Bama wins out .... In.
Miami wins out .... In. Clemson out.
Oklahoma wins out ... in.
Wisconsin loses to OSU in Big10 title game ... and yes ... OSU is in ..... boom.

oops -- missed the first two.

DemolitionMan
11-27-2017, 10:15 PM

Dumbo Fisher headed to Texas A&M?

Good hire by the Gators.

ord27
11-28-2017, 01:20 AM
TyTanium
The best Alabama can do, is be 3rd in their own conference

Isn't the conference champ game supposed to be between the top 2 in the conference?

When the big 12 champ game was between the the north champ and the south champ, it made no sense to me. It should be between the top 2 in the conference....the way that it is now

If that's the case, then yes, those 2 teams could make the playoff

but not the 3rd team in the conference

TyTanium
11-28-2017, 02:53 AM
TyTanium

Isn't the conference champ game supposed to be between the top 2 in the conference?

I messed up editing....see below.

TyTanium
11-28-2017, 03:17 AM
TyTanium

In the SEC, they may be the top 2 as far as conference standings go but they aren’t necessarily the 2 strongest teams.

For example.....The last 3 years, the SEC West had 2 or 3 teams that finished the season ranked above the highest SEC East team. In other words, those years the best team in the conference played the 3rd or 4th best team in conference during the championship game.

In 2012 Alabama (11-1) and LSU (13-0) were clearly the 2 best teams in the country. Since both are from the SEC West, only 1 would make the playoff in your scenario.

dvsone79
11-28-2017, 12:15 PM
I almost feel bad for Tennessee fans right now. Worst season ever? Auburn had a season like that in 2012. Went 3-9 with no conference wins. It was brutal. But they turned it around the very next season. Vols seem to be in bad shape right now. Hope they get a good coach and get back in competitive form. Same with Florida but at least they got a seemingly good hire in Mullen. SEC East is lacking.

ttu
11-28-2017, 12:44 PM
I almost feel bad for Tennessee fans right now. Worst season ever? Auburn had a season like that in 2012. Went 3-9 with no conference wins. It was brutal. But they turned it around the very next season. Vols seem to be in bad shape right now. Hope they get a good coach and get back in competitive form. Same with Florida but at least they got a seemingly good hire in Mullen. SEC East is lacking.

being reported right now that Gundy is interviewing for the Tenn job in Dallas right now. Rumor is double his $4.2m salary.

Mastercraftdave
11-28-2017, 01:52 PM
Personally, I hope Ohio State beats Wisconsin this weekend and gives the committee that situation to deal with.

If you recall last year, a one loss, non conference champion Ohio State team was in the playoffs over a two loss Big 10 Champion.

It could play out very similar this year and Alabama could be the 1 loss team that jumps OSU which based on what the committee did last year, Bama should be in regardless if two SEC schools are in.

Personally, you should have to be the Conference champ to even be considered for the Playoffs, but since the committee did that last year, they should be consistent and do the same as last year.

kscrib
11-28-2017, 03:29 PM
from 11/14/2017 #9989
Most every poll has the top 6 as: (in alphabetical order)

* Alabama - Mercer, Bama, SEC Championship(?)
* Auburn - Louisiana Monroe, Bama, SEC Championship(?)
* Clemson - Citadel, South Carolina, ACC Championship vs Miami
* Miami - Virginia, Pittsburgh, ACC Championship vs Clemson
* Oklahoma - KU, W. Virginia, Big 12 Championship (vs OK State or TCU)
* Wisconsin - Michigan, Minnesota, Big 10 Championship

But from what you know right now, and seeing their future opponents, how do you see the FINAL top 4 and why?

I predict that Bama will lose to Auburn. Then you have the SEC Championship which will pit GA vs Auburn in GA's back yard. Imagine what could happen if GA wins SEC Championship!

I don't think that Wisconsin can win back-to-back-to-back-to-back vs Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota, Big 10 Championship (just my guess). So I think they don't make the final cut.

I can see Clemson, Auburn and Oklahoma winning out. So that is 3 of my 4. I am struggling with my 4th....

From 11/20/2017 #10047

So here I sit with the second to last playoff rankings coming out later tonight. I am still sticking with this... (alphabetical order)

Auburn
Clemson
Oklahoma
Wisconsin

There is plenty of opportunity for craziness now:

Georgia plays Aubrun. Auburn is injured. It is in Georgia's back yard. It is possible Georgia wins. But I am sticking with Aurburn.

If Ohio beats Wisconsin -- now that opens up a whole bunch of crazy possibilities. I have questioned Wisconsin for a while. Winning is Ohio's only way in to the playoffs. I think this has the possibility of going Ohio's way. But I am sticking with Wisconsin -- this is the one I feel the LEAST comfortable with!!

Oklahoma played TCU recently, beating the same high ranked team two times in a season is tough, especially when the games are three weeks apart. Oklahoma/TCU has potential to be a very interesting game too. But, I just don't see this upset happening. BUT it is college football, and all sorts of crazy things can happen.

Miami vs Clemson - Miami is hacked off!! But Clemson is stronger. I am sticking with Clemson.

I really struggle not picking at least one upset!! We all know that at least one is very likely to happen (aka, Notre Dame, Miami, Alabama last week.....)

Loewen
11-28-2017, 04:38 PM
from 11/14/2017 #9989

From 11/20/2017 #10047

So here I sit with the second to last playoff rankings coming out later tonight. I am still sticking with this... (alphabetical order)

Auburn
Clemson
Oklahoma
Wisconsin

So, Oklahoma who gets beat by Iowa State, the same ISU who also beat TCU btw, is top 4? Do I need to mention that a craptastic KSU team beat Iowa State last weekend?

kscrib
11-28-2017, 06:07 PM
So, Oklahoma who gets beat by Iowa State, the same ISU who also beat TCU btw, is top 4? Do I need to mention that a craptastic KSU team beat Iowa State last weekend?

I am saying that is my prediction. What is yours?

We can all argue over what team WE think will get in and why. But, our arguments don't matter, I am trying to predict the playoff committees decisions.

pmkkdx
11-28-2017, 06:26 PM
here might be a little twist ... if TCU beats Oklahoma, they will both be 2 loss teams and the committee might overlook the big 12 having a team in the playoffs, leaving the door open for Alabama or some other 1 loss team

93Prostar190
11-28-2017, 07:22 PM
Wow, you Bama guys want to root for my Buckeyes this week, and you will slide into 4 when we beat Wisconsin. No way the committee pushes us past u..... Bama will be in whenBrutus takes down the Badger

lakedrum03
11-28-2017, 07:51 PM
Wow, you Bama guys want to root for my Buckeyes this week, and you will slide into 4 when we beat Wisconsin. No way the committee pushes us past u..... Bama will be in whenBrutus takes down the Badger

OH!

Go Bucks!

ttu
11-28-2017, 07:58 PM
OH!

Go Bucks!

first I hate OU with passion!! however Ohio State does not deserve to get in with losing 2 and losing so bad against the gooners at home.

LDA6339
11-28-2017, 09:01 PM
OH!

Go Bucks!

IO!

and War Eagle and Go Frogs, anything for Bama

CantRepeat
11-28-2017, 09:44 PM
Week 13 CFP rankings are out.

1 Clemson 11-1 2
2 Auburn 10-2 4
3 Oklahoma 11-1 1
4 Wisconsin 12-0 1
5 Alabama 11-1 4
6 Georgia 11-1 1

So clearly Bama needs at least two of the top for to lose to make it in.

LDA6339
11-28-2017, 09:59 PM
Week 13 CFP rankings are out.

So clearly Bama needs at least two of the top for to lose to make it in.

I watched a discussion on Bama just now. Specifically how despite being ranked 5, Bama would open up as a favorite by about 3 points to everyone ranked above them- exception to Clemson, who they would still be a one point favorite over.

ttu
11-28-2017, 10:27 PM
wow, from what I have read Gundy is turning down a double salary of 8.4 mil for the Tennessee job.

Loewen
11-29-2017, 08:32 AM
I am saying that is my prediction. What is yours?

We can all argue over what team WE think will get in and why. But, our arguments don't matter, I am trying to predict the playoff committees decisions.

I think your predictions are accurate, depending on outcomes this weekend. I'm just pessimistic on how OU will perform versus the other three teams?? They obviously have a tendency to be inconsistent (see ISU on the bad side and "THE" Ohio State on the good side).

*notice the pretentious emphasis on "THE" Ohio State

jharmon203
11-29-2017, 09:43 AM
I am getting slightly disgusted at the comparisons from last year to this year. The big debate this year is if two SEC teams will make it into the playoff. Did two Big Ten teams make it into the playoff last year? Not that I can remember..... So it isn't the same.

The committee last year saw that Ohio State lost to Penn State at night on the road in Happy Valley arguably one of the most difficult atmosphere's to play in in the country. It was the 3rd consecutive team to have a bye week to prep for ohio state. It took some luck for PSU to beat Ohio State, but they did it.

So what did the committee do? They used the "eye test" to put Ohio state in who they felt was more deserving than a conference champ of penn state. They selected who they thought was the true big ten champ IMO. They were clearly wrong due to the result, but you can't fault them for their analysis. Most in the country probably felt that way except for Penn State Alum.

If Ohio State beats Wisconsin in the conference title (and it's a big IF), then Ohio State deserves to get in no matter what the margin. If people want Bama in, then the SEC title holder (Auburn or Georgia) has to be left out because this is what the committee did last year.

I have huge respect for what Nick Saban has accomplished at Bama over the years. He IMO is number 1 and Urban is 2 as far as coaches. Urban beat Saban in 2014 with a fantastic gameplan and many NFL caliber players. I cannot remember the last time Bama had a "Iowa Loss" The Iowa loss was a huge let down, a blip on the radar, an out-liar. While it was a bad loss, I do not believe it's a true indication of the match-up. If you look at the game, it just doesn't make sense.

So what we have here is a Bama team that got beat by a good Auburn team and bama's top 25 wins do not look that great. We have an Ohio State team, if they win out, will have two top ten wins; three top 20 wins, and a conference title. If the resume's were flipped with similar circumstance, who do you think gets in?

Timr71
11-29-2017, 10:52 AM
I am getting slightly disgusted at the comparisons from last year to this year. The big debate this year is if two SEC teams will make it into the playoff. Did two Big Ten teams make it into the playoff last year? Not that I can remember..... So it isn't the same.

The committee last year saw that Ohio State lost to Penn State at night on the road in Happy Valley arguably one of the most difficult atmosphere's to play in in the country. It was the 3rd consecutive team to have a bye week to prep for ohio state. It took some luck for PSU to beat Ohio State, but they did it.

So what did the committee do? They used the "eye test" to put Ohio state in who they felt was more deserving than a conference champ of penn state. They selected who they thought was the true big ten champ IMO. They were clearly wrong due to the result, but you can't fault them for their analysis. Most in the country probably felt that way except for Penn State Alum.

If Ohio State beats Wisconsin in the conference title (and it's a big IF), then Ohio State deserves to get in no matter what the margin. If people want Bama in, then the SEC title holder (Auburn or Georgia) has to be left out because this is what the committee did last year.

I have huge respect for what Nick Saban has accomplished at Bama over the years. He IMO is number 1 and Urban is 2 as far as coaches. Urban beat Saban in 2014 with a fantastic gameplan and many NFL caliber players. I cannot remember the last time Bama had a "Iowa Loss" The Iowa loss was a huge let down, a blip on the radar, an out-liar. While it was a bad loss, I do not believe it's a true indication of the match-up. If you look at the game, it just doesn't make sense.

So what we have here is a Bama team that got beat by a good Auburn team and bama's top 25 wins do not look that great. We have an Ohio State team, if they win out, will have two top ten wins; three top 20 wins, and a conference title. If the resume's were flipped with similar circumstance, who do you think gets in?

This is a pretty good analysis...and I agree with most of it. But there's a couple of things:

1. You're basically stating what I already stated...all games matter until we don't want one of them to matter so then all games don't matter.

2. The last two Big 10 teams that went to the playoff failed to even score a point...including last year's Ohio State...who got in without being the champion or division winner in their conference.

3. At the end of the day...Bama is a 1 loss team with a 12 point road loss to potentially the number 1 team in the country. That's it.

Now, I'm not saying that that means that Bama should be in. All I'm saying is that whatever happens, the committee will come up with their own justification. And groups of people...like OSU fans/alums can and will be frustrated because they were previously the beneficiary of this "moving target" standard that the committee has created. But this time, they could be on the outside looking in.

Oh, and in spite of your and everyone's pour mouthing of this year's Bama team (one that has been decimated by injuries...the kind of injuries that matter to the committee accept when they don't) Westbook in Vegas has Bama as a favorite against all of the top 6 current CFP teams.

Whatever happens, it's going to be fun to watch. :)

MMPRES
11-29-2017, 10:56 AM

Pretty good analysis. I'm biased, so I can't help but root for Bama to get in, however unlikely. If you take it as is, as the committee can see the gravity of their ranking being one week away from the one that determines the playoff landscape; theoretically, if one of the top 4 were to fall, then Alabama could be moved into the top four.

With OSU last year, they had 4 (maybe 5) wins against top 15 opponents which ultimately bolstered them into the playoff over the conference champion Penn State. Which was laughably a flop in the first round.
Unfortunately, this year hasn't shaped up as well for the tide as their best wins have been over LSU and MISSST. (not the most sterling of resumes)

It's difficult to say what they're ultimately going to decide. They have seemed to throw in some sort of curve since they have utilized the committee.

Another interesting thing I overheard on sports radio, that is not typically discussed as a component in their decision making, was the weight of TV viewership that they may take into consideration if there's an argument between Ohio State and Alabama; assuming Auburn stays where they are. Would having two SEC teams, from the same state, in the playoff hurt ratings compared to having OSU? Something to think about. Ultimately, the drive behind all this is to make money, and you have to think that could put a dent in ratings if 3/4 of the playoff is from the south.

With all that being said. I'm really hoping for all around chaos to really make them sweat it out.

Timr71
11-29-2017, 10:56 AM
And one more thing. If you are a proponent of CFP expansion...then the scenario you want is no B1G team in the CFP. The first time that happens (especially if another conf gets two in) it will be the beginning of the end of the 4 team format.

It took the SEC BCS rematch to bring about the first change...and an Iron Bowl rematch in the semis or the final might cause the same reaction again. Never mind that it's possible that Auburn could play Georgia and Bama twice each in their last 5 - 6 games. THAT's NEVER happened before. IF I was an Aub I'd be like "Are you kidding me!?"

Timr71
11-29-2017, 10:59 AM
Another interesting thing I overheard on sports radio, that is not typically discussed as a component in their decision making, was the TV viewership component that they may take into consideration if there's an argument for Ohio State and Alabama; assuming Auburn stays where they are. Would having two SEC teams, from the same state, in the playoff hurt ratings compared to have OSU? Something to think about. Ultimately, the drive behind all this is to make money, and you have to think that could put a dent in ratings if 3/4 of the playoff is from the south.

This HAS to be a real consideration, even though no one really understands how or if it's being discussed directly in that room.

BTW, did anyone else notice that Bama's non-conference foe Fresno State was ranked number 25 last night?

jsx30
11-29-2017, 11:17 AM
My top 4 predictions...

Georgia beats Auburn...dawgs in the top 4
In previous years I would pick Auburn because Richt has trouble winning big games. This year, I think Auburn is beat up, I don't think Johnson is going to be 100%, Kam Martin probably won't be either, Malzahn has a system based on misdirection and the run. With his runners hurt, he is going to have a hard time setting up the pass. He also has a hard time adjusting his system...it either works (iron bowl) or it doesn't (LSU loss)...Smart is a good coach, GA wins...

Clemson beats Miami...Clemson in the top 4
See above, Richt doesn't do well in big games...thats why he's in Miami. If Miami does win, do they move into the top 4...I think they do...

Ohio beats Wisconsin...Ohio in the top 4
I know its the Ohio State University...I just wanted to tweak the Buckeye fans on here a little. I totally agree with previous posts. If Ohio State wins, they should go I'll be honest I'm not too sure about this one. Regardless, the winner of this one gets a CFP nod...

Oklahoma beats TCU...Oklahoma in top 4
Another toss up. This is Bama's only chance to get in. I think Oklahoma wins and its a moot point. If TCU wins, I don't think they will move into the top 4. I think a 1 loss Bama team gets picked over the others in my predicted scenario....

More on Bama's chances....
In previous years, I would say a 1 loss Bama team is better than alot of the current top 5 teams. This year, I totally disagree. Too many defensive injuries and too little team cohesion. Hurts isn't playing well and the coaching staff doesn't seem to quite know what to do about it. I saw a previous post saying that Bama would be favored over many of the current top teams but I just don't see it. There's no way the Bama team I saw in the Iron Bowl would be a favorite over Clemson. I also have to add that the Iron Bowl could have been much worse for Bama. Auburn's offensive play calling is awful specifically on 1st down. I wish I could figure out what percentage of series that Stidham got the ball in a 2nd and 8 or 9 or 10 situation. I feel like he was constantly making throws to get himself out of a hole. Auburn was lucky in the Iron Bowl. The game plan they followed wasn't all that different than the LSU loss game plan. The only differences were an injury plagued bama defense and Auburn receivers who seemed to suddenly learn how to catch...

dvsone79
11-29-2017, 11:18 AM
This HAS to be a real consideration, even though no one really understands how or if it's being discussed directly in that room.

BTW, did anyone else notice that Bama's non-conference foe Fresno State was ranked number 25 last night?

TV viewers may play more of a role than you’d think. But if that’s the case, then so is ticket sales. And no team’s fan base travels better than Bama. I’ve got plenty of reasons to hate on the turds, but they are a rabid and loyal fan base. I’ll give them that. They tend to make most of Bama’s bowl games more like home games. Any bowl/playoff game is guaranteed to sell out if Bama is in it.

Timr71
11-29-2017, 11:23 AM
More on Bama's chances....
In previous years, I would say a 1 loss Bama team is better than alot of the current top 5 teams. This year, I totally disagree. Too many defensive injuries and too little team cohesion. Hurts isn't playing well and the coaching staff doesn't seem to quite know what to do about it. I saw a previous post saying that Bama would be favored over many of the current top teams but I just don't see it. There's no way the Bama team I saw in the Iron Bowl would be a favorite over Clemson. I also have to add that the Iron Bowl could have been much worse for Bama. Auburn's offensive play calling is awful specifically on 1st down. I wish I could figure out what percentage of series that Stidham got the ball in a 2nd and 8 or 9 or 10 situation. I feel like he was constantly making throws to get himself out of a hole. Auburn was lucky in the Iron Bowl. The game plan they followed wasn't all that different than the LSU loss game plan. The only differences were an injury plagued bama defense and Auburn receivers who seemed to suddenly learn how to catch...

Yep, agree. BTW, the line of Bama vs Clemson was Bama -1. So it's not like they would be a huge favorite. And keep in mind that lines are designed to control betting action. I saw it on a graphic they posted during the CFP show last night.

Mastercraftdave
11-29-2017, 11:24 AM

This is a very good analysis. But here is my one problem. A criteria of the CFP should have always been that you have to have to a conference champion to be in the final four. Regardless of the schedule, if you don't win the Conference title, you are not clearly the best team regardless of the eye test, which IMO is very subjective. have you seen the people that are on that committee? Last year was a mistake for them to take OSU and it opened the door for this year to have two SEC schools in the playoff.

In the case of Bama, their schedule may have been a bit easier, but they always took care of business and usually won by a larger margin. But OSU, goes and get blown out by an unranked Iowa team. The loss isn't an outlier. You cant pick and choose which losses are good or bad. A loss is a loss no matter who it is too. This is what makes college football so much fun because on any given day, any team can win the game.

This is very much all about the money. OSU, has a very big following across the entire nation. Yet, most SEC schools fans travel very well which isn't the case for most universities. Having two schools from the same state wont be bad for ticket sales but will impact the TV viewers.

It should be very interesting to say the least. I'm kind of hoping that two SEC schools get in so they will expand it to 8 teams, which would make this so much better for everyone involved. if they expand to 8 teams, that gives 5 spots for the Power 5 conference champs, you could give a spot to the highest ranked non power 5 team, then the next two be decided by the highest ranked team.

CantRepeat
11-29-2017, 11:28 AM
This is a very good analysis. But here is my one problem. A criteria of the CFP should have always been that you have to have to a conference champion to be in the final four.

The only thing that does not account for is if the two best teams in the conference come from the same side.

Mastercraftdave
11-29-2017, 11:45 AM
The only thing that does not account for is if the two best teams in the conference come from the same side.

Yes and no, if Bama was the better team, they would have beat Auburn and been in the Championship. Unfortunately, they didn't, so they are not the second team in the conference.

Would the outcome be different if it was a Bama home game, maybe, but we can only go based on the game at hand. Georgia and Bama share the same record, if Georgia wins, then they would be considered the best team in the SEC regardless of them not playing Bama.

Here is a question, if Georgia beats Auburn, is Bama a better team then Auburn? Who would be considered the second best team in the SEC?

Timr71
11-29-2017, 11:51 AM
This is a very good analysis. But here is my one problem. A criteria of the CFP should have always been that you have to have to a conference champion to be in the final four. Regardless of the schedule, if you don't win the Conference title, you are not clearly the best team regardless of the eye test, which IMO is very subjective. have you seen the people that are on that committee? Last year was a mistake for them to take OSU and it opened the door for this year to have two SEC schools in the playoff.

They absolutely can't do this and here's why:

In both 2008 and 2009, Alabama (undefeated) played Florida (undefeated) in the SEC Championship game. In both games one team was ranked number 1 and the other number 2. Had this been in the CFP era, it's very possible that both teams would get in.

This scenario is possible in 4 of the 5 Power 5 conferences. Only the Big XII stages a title game that's a guaranteed rematch game. (We could spend pages and pages talking about what a clown show the Big XII is, but that's for another day.)

The commissioners of those 4 conferences will never go for the "Champions Only" model because of this very real scenario. And, if they were to do so, you can be assured that the very next year (after this rule change) this exact scenario would present itself again and everyone would be either laughing or crying at the result.

I think people seem to loose sight of this fact: All 5 Power 5 conference's get the same payout regardless of whether they get a team in the CFP. The school's that do participate receive an additional (approx) $360K t cover travel costs. That's the only financial difference from watching it at home and having a team (or 2) on the field. Now, the optics of having (or not) a participant is a whole different thing.

Timr71
11-29-2017, 12:07 PM
Consider this hypothetical from this very season...a what if:

1. What if Ohio State had won vs Oklahoma at home by say a FG (3 pts).

2. Then, What if Ohio State went to Iowa and took care of business leaving there with a 2 TD road win?

3. Then we'd have two undefeated teams playing in the B1G Championship this weekend.

Could you imagine what everyone would be talking about? One of these two teams is going to be eliminated from contention.

Now, what if OSU plays in the B1G Championship game and doesn't play well, turns the ball over 3 times, but is still in the game with a chance to win and Wisconsin kicks a FG to win in the waning seconds.

Do you really want that OSU team eliminated totally from contention? If yes, then you can kiss the non-conference Oklahoma type games good bye. Why? Wisconsin didn't play that caliber of team in their non-conference schedule and they're in. All they did was win and get in.

See the dilemma?

Mastercraftdave
11-29-2017, 12:41 PM
I think the whole CFP is one large dilemma. There will never be a perfect system with 4 teams getting in. if they ever expand it to 8 teams, there will never be a perfect situation.

Its all one big mess and all about the $$$$$.

ord27
11-29-2017, 01:19 PM
sec needs to have their championship game with the best 2 teams in the conference, and not the north v south scenario.

Bama will finish 3rd in their own conference

Because of this, they should not be in the final 4!!!!

If the sec doesn't like it, they need to change how they do their final game

period

kscrib
11-29-2017, 03:16 PM
I think the whole CFP is one large dilemma. There will never be a perfect system with 4 teams getting in. if they ever expand it to 8 teams, there will never be a perfect situation.

I actually think the powers at be like it being a mess. Think about all the folks calling into radio talk shows, watching TV broadcasts, going to websites (with ads), using internet chat forums, using mobile apps, etc. I know I used several of those sources to build my conclusions. Someone is making money from each of those information sources. If the system was cut and dry, no one would be paying attention, trying to find the scenario where they can hope their team can make it into the playoffs.

Why do you think they start announcing it weeks in advance???? Why not wait until after the last game prior to the playoffs to announce the teams? $$$$

jharmon203
11-30-2017, 08:23 AM
Consider this hypothetical from this very season...a what if:

1. What if Ohio State had won vs Oklahoma at home by say a FG (3 pts).

2. Then, What if Ohio State went to Iowa and took care of business leaving there with a 2 TD road win?

3. Then we'd have two undefeated teams playing in the B1G Championship this weekend.

Could you imagine what everyone would be talking about? One of these two teams is going to be eliminated from contention.

Now, what if OSU plays in the B1G Championship game and doesn't play well, turns the ball over 3 times, but is still in the game with a chance to win and Wisconsin kicks a FG to win in the waning seconds.

Do you really want that OSU team eliminated totally from contention? If yes, then you can kiss the non-conference Oklahoma type games good bye. Why? Wisconsin didn't play that caliber of team in their non-conference schedule and they're in. All they did was win and get in.

See the dilemma?

This is a good point, however you don't even need to create the scenario above to make it a good point. What if Wisconsin obliterates OSU in the title game? People might say well they certainly deserve more to get in but it would still encourage the easier non-conference schedule.

We want the CFP to encourage better match-ups which are more exciting to watch.

jharmon203
11-30-2017, 08:34 AM

Ok, who are the two best teams in the SEC? I am assuming you think Alabama is one of them since they aren't in the conference title and clearly the 3 top teams in the SEC are Auburn, Georgia, and Alabama.

So let's play that scenario out this year. Anyway you look at it, it makes the Iron Bowl a meaningless game. Because if the match-up is Georgia and Alabama, then the outcome doesn't matter between Alabama and Auburn. If it's Alabama and Auburn, then Auburn has to beat Alabama twice to be champ on back-to-back weeks.

93Prostar190
11-30-2017, 07:22 PM
Is it me or has this final week of the season brought forward so,e of the best content on thread for the entire season?

Clemson, OU, Bama, OSU ...... the SEC champ gets left out ... any chance for that? (Personally I hope not)

ttu
11-30-2017, 07:47 PM
Is it me or has this final week of the season brought forward so,e of the best content on thread for the entire season?

Clemson, OU, Bama, OSU ...... the SEC champ gets left out ... any chance for that? (Personally I hope not)

if that happens you can guarantee that Saban and the committee will change to a 6-8 team playoff next year!!:confused:

LDA6339
11-30-2017, 08:38 PM

While I agree there is no perfect situation for 8 or 4 teams, I think having 8 teams would help for two reasons. I think the skill gap between 8 and 9 is smaller than gap between 4 and 5. And I think that with the 8th team playing the number 1 team in this hypothetical, the argument over who is 8 and who is 9 matters less, because the odds of either one making it past the first round are lower than the odds of #4 beating #1.

The only con to the 8 teams is 3 rounds of bowl/playoff games is long.

Timr71
11-30-2017, 08:51 PM
93ProStar - definitely some of the best discussion.

Here's an idea that I think they should consider for playoff expansion. Right now, with the 4 teams, it really doesn't matter what seed you are. There's not huge separation between the top four teams and the 2 vs 3 game, the seed only determines what color jersey you wear.

I don't think they'll ever go for this, but I think it's still a fun idea to consider. Playoff expansion from 4 to 6. Here's how it would work.

#1 & #2 get a first round buy. That makes it so it actually means something to achieve those two positions.
3 plays 6
4 plays 5
in the first round of the playoff. These two games take place on the Saturday after Championship Saturday. The only other D1 game on that date traditionally is Army vs Navy. So basically, you'd have a broadcast triple header with Army Navy first, followed by the two playoff games. (there would have to be some kind of provision to account for a scenario where either Army or Navy might be a CFP participant..even though the chance of that is razor thin)

#3 and #4 get to host those games in their own on campus stadiums. Now there's an incentive to achieve the #3 and #4 seedings. #5 and #6 should just be happy to be in the playoff at all. And, if #5 or #6 were to run the gauntlet and win the whole thing, then who could argue that they weren't the best team...at that time?
winners of the first round games would match up against 1 and 2 the way it currently is set up with the 2nd round games rotating among the existing semi-final bowls followed by the Championship game some 8 days later.

LDA6339
11-30-2017, 10:29 PM

Here's an idea that I think they should consider for playoff expansion. Right now, with the 4 teams, it really doesn't matter what seed you are. There's not huge separation between the top four teams and the 2 vs 3 game, the seed only determines what color jersey you wear.

I don't think they'll ever go for this, but I think it's still a fun idea to consider. Playoff expansion from 4 to 6. Here's how it would work.

#1 & #2 get a first round buy. That makes it so it actually means something to achieve those two positions.
3 plays 6
4 plays 5
in the first round of the playoff. These two games take place on the Saturday after Championship Saturday. The only other D1 game on that date traditionally is Army vs Navy. So basically, you'd have a broadcast triple header with Army Navy first, followed by the two playoff games. (there would have to be some kind of provision to account for a scenario where either Army or Navy might be a CFP participant..even though the chance of that is razor thin)

#3 and #4 get to host those games in their own on campus stadiums. Now there's an incentive to achieve the #3 and #4 seedings. #5 and #6 should just be happy to be in the playoff at all. And, if #5 or #6 were to run the gauntlet and win the whole thing, then who could argue that they weren't the best team...at that time?
winners of the first round games would match up against 1 and 2 the way it currently is set up with the 2nd round games rotating among the existing semi-final bowls followed by the Championship game some 8 days later.

I love this plan 1000%
Especially giving the 3 and 4 seeds getting to host a game, it would be very cool to see the energy levels in home stadiums for a playoff game. Neutral sites seem to always be a little less fun.

captain planet
12-01-2017, 07:53 AM

3 plays 6
4 plays 5

I too like this and my buddies and I have discussed this very scenario. The only reason I don't like it is the #1 and #2 play one less game and have less risk of injury. You would think 1 and 2 would roll over 7 and 8, but at least they are all playing...and you never know what could happen. Have the first round played at the higher seed home stadium and the rest play out as it does now.

jharmon203
12-01-2017, 08:40 AM
Tim, your format sounds great, but these aren't professionals. These are student atheletes where an extra week of rest can pay huge dividends. I personally like the 4 team playoff because it still makes the regular season and championships count. If you go to an 8 team playoff, it diminishes it a bit.

This system requires conversation and talk and grind. Teams are going to be going all out this weekend to try to get that playoff spot. Hypothetically, if all the losers lose by a point, who falls where? With an 8 team playoff how would that work out?

Lastly, more games, means more revenue for someone. The CFP is already raking in the dough on these games. What are the players getting?

captain planet
12-01-2017, 10:05 AM
Tim, your format sounds great, but these aren't professionals. These are student atheletes where an extra week of rest can pay huge dividends. I personally like the 4 team playoff because it still makes the regular season and championships count. If you go to an 8 team playoff, it diminishes it a bit.

This system requires conversation and talk and grind. Teams are going to be going all out this weekend to try to get that playoff spot. Hypothetically, if all the losers lose by a point, who falls where? With an 8 team playoff how would that work out?

Lastly, more games, means more revenue for someone. The CFP is already raking in the dough on these games. What are the players getting?

I think the advantage of 8 over 4 is, we have a much more disgruntled feeling for the #5 team not making it as opposed to what we would feel from the #9 team not making it. So far we have had a "well the #5 team did this or did that" and it sucks. I would venture to say that you wouldn't hear much of "well the #9 team only lost by 7 to opponent A where the #8 team lost by 13 to opponent A".

Timr71
12-01-2017, 10:15 AM

I totally agree. And I like it the way it is now. But I think expansion talk will definitely kick into over drive when either or both of the following happens: 1 conference lands two teams in the top 4 and/or the B1G is left out.

dvsone79
12-01-2017, 10:17 AM
I hope it never goes to an 8 team format. These are student athletes not pros. College football doesn’t have the resources to properly support an 8 team playoff. For the 2 teams that make the championship game, those 2 extra games played during bowl season is asking too much, IMO.

TayMC197
12-01-2017, 10:24 AM
if that happens you can guarantee that Saban and the committee will change to a 6-8 team playoff next year!!:confused:

Doubt that, Saban is against the playoff system. He said it diminishes the other bowls and kills their significance. He said that’s what’s leading to many athletes opting out of bowl games that aren’t playoff bound to avoid injury.

jsx30
12-01-2017, 10:25 AM
I would love to see an extended playoff system. But, how many games do we expect these kids to play. It seems like they keep adding more and more games to the schedule. The championship game will be fifteen. I think even now they are playing too many. Personally, I think the regular season should be limited to 10 games, a conference championship, and then some kind of playoff system...

shepherd
12-01-2017, 12:13 PM
Doubt that, Saban is against the playoff system. He said it diminishes the other bowls and kills their significance. He said that's what's leading to many athletes opting out of bowl games that aren’t playoff bound to avoid injury.

I don't like the playoff system either. I used to like watching the traditional bowl games. The Rose Bowl really meant something back then. Now, it's just a consolation prize. It's just not practical to devise a playoff system for a football league with hundreds of teams in it. But, the overwhelming urge to be able to name a team "#1", and to make an extra billion dollars in revenue on the backs of these unpaid "amateur" players, is undeniable.

TyTanium
12-01-2017, 03:35 PM
I’m undecided whether I’m a fan of the playoffs because it’s killed the bowl game importance. If we’re gonna continue down the playoff road though, I say:

Shorten the regular season by 2 games.
Expand the playoffs to 8 teams.
Each Power 5 champion gets in plus 3 wild card teams to be determined by committee.

I might not be a fan of adding possibly 3 high level games at the end of the season though (because of injury). Don’t get me wrong, I’d love to watch them, I’d just like to see the data on injuries first. If were gonna keep adding risk to these players, it needs to be addressed IMO.

dt37803
12-01-2017, 07:31 PM
Painful week in Knoxville. ;( Looking brighter after today.

CantRepeat
12-02-2017, 06:54 PM
Go dawgs and yes suckeyes!

jsx30
12-02-2017, 07:07 PM
I think with the Oklahoma win, bama is out. Ohio state or Wisconsin I don't think it matters...

CantRepeat
12-02-2017, 07:25 PM
Yeah, I was thinking 3 out of the top 4 would have to lose for Bama to get it.

How does the committee put in two two loss teams over a one loss Bama?

kscrib
12-03-2017, 12:14 AM
Wow - the committee has a mess on their hands. Two of the top 4 lost. I need to ponder this for a while.

1) Clemson
2) Oklahoma
3) Georgia

4) Ohio State (10-2), Alabama (11-1) ????

Aurburn (10-3)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CantRepeat
12-03-2017, 05:05 AM
Wow - the committee has a mess on their hands. Two of the top 4 lost. I need to ponder this for a while.

1) Clemson
2) Oklahoma
3) Georgia

4) Ohio State (10-2), Alabama (11-1) ????

Aurburn (10-3)

Get out the dart board! :confused:

kscrib
12-03-2017, 11:55 AM
I am going to cast my vote for Ohio State. They have more wins against ranked opponents, played and won their conference championship. Also from the committee perceptive, they would have more conferences (aka more fans/$$$) interested in the playoffs. I honestly think the last point is why I predict the committee picks Ohio State.

dvsone79
12-03-2017, 12:13 PM
I’m the least-biased towards Bama as you’re likely to find, but being purely objective, they are a better team than Ohio State. Their 1 loss to a very good team vs OSU 2 losses, one of which was a bad loss to a mediocre team. The committee’s job is to put the best 4 teams in. Right now there are not 4 teams in the nation better than Bama.

1. Clemson
2. Georgia
3. Oklahoma
4. Alabama

ord27
12-03-2017, 01:36 PM
I don't necessarily disagree dvsone79

but it seems that the committee has set a precedence :

a team can come in 3rd in their own conference and still make the national final 4

ugh

BOOMER

jharmon203
12-03-2017, 01:50 PM
As an Ohio State Fan, I am curious to hear from Auburn fans.

They beat BOTH teams in the CFP convincingly. They had two play two top ten teams back to back and lost one of them. Georgia played GT before they played Auburn.

So what we have here is Number 1 and Number 3 in the SEC making it.

Did I want the Bucks to be in the CFP? Not necessarily with JT at the helm. This guy has done a ton for OSU giving his heart to it all and I very much thank him. However, the misses yesterday on passing a 4 year quarterback at Ohio State should make.

All I can say is watch out next year with Haskins!

jharmon203
12-03-2017, 01:56 PM
I’m the least-biased towards Bama as you’re likely to find, but being purely objective, they are a better team than Ohio State. Their 1 loss to a very good team vs OSU 2 losses, one of which was a bad loss to a mediocre team. The committee’s job is to put the best 4 teams in. Right now there are not 4 teams in the nation better than Bama.

1. Clemson
2. Georgia
3. Oklahoma
4. Alabama

It seems that losses are really the measure stick isn't it.....

It's not who you have beat, it's how many losses you have and who you have lost to. This is why Alabama is in.

Auburn lost at the end so they can't be in.

I am not saying that losses shouldn't count, I am simply stating that a bad loss severely trumps good wins. OSU, at this point, has much better wins than Bama.

93Prostar190
12-03-2017, 02:09 PM
Congrats to the Bama and other Top 4 teams that made the Playoff bracket.

I am a Buckeye fan and bit sad, but in total truth, I am not sure we are better than anyone else that would qualify for the 4th spot. The Iowa loss hurt, and it should be considered. So no sour grapes here.

I feel OU should have been the 1 seed at the end, although Clemson looks really good.

The Committee cant please everyone, and they got it right this year. I laugh when the ESPN Talkers say "they sent a message" .... yes they were asked to pick the best 4 and they do that ... it is a clear message.

Good luck to everyone, looking forward to the match ups!

jharmon203
12-03-2017, 02:15 PM
And conference titles officially don't mean $#!^, so take it out committee. You proved two years strait you don't care as much.

You don't come out with this statement last week: "very little different between 5-8" and not have Ohio State in beating what the committee put as the 4th best team in the country. If it was close, the conference championship would have meant something no matter margin of victory if they truly valued Wisconsin that high.

This week "Alabama is unequivocally better"

#beconsistent and rank Alabama ahead of Wisconsin last week and take the flak because that would have made much more sense.

CantRepeat
12-03-2017, 02:25 PM
Well, they did to ohio what they did to penn last year so at least they are consistent in that fact.

Now, if Bama doesn't do something really big about the defensive deficit they are facing then we are going to end up like ohio did last year.

jharmon203
12-03-2017, 02:34 PM
Well, they did to ohio what they did to penn last year so at least they are consistent in that fact.

Respectfully disagree, what the committee did was select who they thought was the "true best team" in the big ten over the big ten champ.

If they had followed the same precedent, Georgia would be out and Bama in.

Two big ten teams did not go to the CFP.

But again I am really only puzzling over the reasoning.

CantRepeat
12-03-2017, 03:19 PM
Respectfully disagree, what the committee did was select who they thought was the "true best team" in the big ten over the big ten champ.

If they had followed the same precedent, Georgia would be out and Bama in.

Two big ten teams did not go to the CFP.

But again I am really only puzzling over the reasoning.

Both years they selected a non conference champ to be #4 over a conference champ. Yes, last year it was in the same conference and this year it's not.

jsx30
12-03-2017, 04:40 PM
I'm surprised they picked Bama. Bama hasn't looked good for the last 3 games. I don't think bama is a better team than Ohio State right now. Maybe earlier in the year, but not over the past few weeks. I know they have a solid case but so did a Ohio state and the buckeyes actually played yesterday. Bama was sitting at home. As for auburn, yes they did beat Georgia and Bama, but we definitely didn't look good yesterday. Gus's system either works or it doesn't, he has trouble making adjustments and he has to have a runner to make his schemes work. Georgia played a great game, they are very well coached. I think they will be playing Clemson for all the marbles.

Footin
12-03-2017, 07:48 PM
Bummer for the Buckeye's, congratulations to Alabama.

LDA6339
12-04-2017, 12:30 AM
My take is that they looked at losses and not wins/whether or not the wins were pretty. I'm glad Bama got in, but I thought the fact that Bama squeaked by Texas A&M and Mississippi State was going to be the reason Ohio State got in over the Tide. Ohio didn't have any close games that weren't supposed to be close and one bad loss. Bama had two way too close games and a bad loss.

That being said I'm excited for my conference to be the first to have two teams make the playoffs, and echo what CR is saying about Ohio getting the same treatment Penn State did.

Can't wait to watch Faker Mayfield play an SEC defense, if he makes it past Georgia and Bama beats Clemson he is in for a real wakeup call in the Natty with Bama's defense being healthy by then. S-E-C!

dvsone79
12-04-2017, 09:27 AM
You can’t just look at wins. Losses count, too. And they should. Just as much as wins. It’s the whole body of work we’re considering. And they’ve made it clear that quality wins count for teams, but to make that metric fair, then bad losses (or losses to non-quality opponents?) should also count against teams that have them.

jharmon203
12-04-2017, 09:51 AM
You can’t just look at wins. Losses count, too. And they should. Just as much as wins. It’s the whole body of work we’re considering. And they’ve made it clear that quality wins count for teams, but to make that metric fair, then bad losses (or losses to non-quality opponents?) should also count against teams that have them.

Here's the problem and Tim brought it up earlier. With Alabama getting in, you can just about kiss goodbye the tough match-ups at the beginning of the year. We love watching those match-ups, but what has happened here is OSU is being penalized for losing twice. They should be penalized for that, but what would the conversation have been if it had just been the Iowa game. I think that's a different conversation.

We needed to create a system where tough match-ups are encouraged and rewarded. Losses should count, but IMO top 25 wins should count more because if they don't we will get more mercer's at the end of the year. As an Ohio State Fan, do I regret playing Oklahoma now? Sort of. I really enjoyed getting hyped for the game and looked forward to it but it's now labelled as a high risk game when losses become a big number that can't be explained away no matter how many top 25 teams you have beaten.

slalomjunkie
12-04-2017, 09:59 AM
Everything they say on my sports radio station is that they only look at wins. Who you beat, and how bad they beat em. What do I know...

CantRepeat
12-04-2017, 01:36 PM
I forgot to tell CP how happy I am that Bama kept ohio out of the playoffs!! That's a victory all by itself!!

captain planet
12-04-2017, 02:13 PM
I forgot to tell CP how happy I am that Bama kept ohio out of the playoffs!! That's a victory all by itself!!

I would expect nothing less.

Uh, with JT at the controls Ohio State doesn't deserve to be in because they would get crushed. Now if Haskins was playing I'd be more upset. I'm disappointed to not get watch Ohio State rematch Clemson. The way all the talking heads were going Saturday night I thought OSU would be in since they didn't play Mercer in week 11.

That's fine. Let the final come down to Clemson and Georgia. mayfield is the reincarnation of ryan leaf and everybody is tired of alabama.

LDA6339
12-04-2017, 02:15 PM
Here's the problem and Tim brought it up earlier. With Alabama getting in, you can just about kiss goodbye the tough match-ups at the beginning of the year. We love watching those match-ups, but what has happened here is OSU is being penalized for losing twice. They should be penalized for that, but what would the conversation have been if it had just been the Iowa game. I think that's a different conversation.

We needed to create a system where tough match-ups are encouraged and rewarded. Losses should count, but IMO top 25 wins should count more because if they don't we will get more mercer's at the end of the year. As an Ohio State Fan, do I regret playing Oklahoma now? Sort of. I really enjoyed getting hyped for the game and looked forward to it but it's now labelled as a high risk game when losses become a big number that can't be explained away no matter how many top 25 teams you have beaten.

As an Aggie getting excited about the coaching change, if true thats going to be frustrating. Our season opener is against Clemson next year and we scheduled a one and one with em, so in 2019 we will play them again but in Clemson. If (and this is a big if) we were to hold our own against them but lose by lets say a touchdown and they look at it as any old loss instead of a hard fought game against a good team, that could get very frustrating.

I echo what is being said about how they should look at all of it, and early September games should matter just as much as late November ones.

dvsone79
12-04-2017, 02:22 PM

That’s a good point. I haven’t really thought about it from that angle.

GoneSkiing
12-04-2017, 02:59 PM
Some teams need the tough September match ups to get consideration. As a Badger fan, I knew that our only hope of making the playoff was to go undefeated. If we would have dropped a game to say Northwestern early on, we wouldn't have been in the discussion at the end even if we won the Big Ten Championship. If we would have played (and beat) an LSU or Stanford level team in non-conference, we may be able to afford a loss.

CantRepeat
12-04-2017, 03:46 PM
I would expect nothing less.

Uh, with JT at the controls Ohio State doesn't deserve to be in because they would get crushed. Now if Haskins was playing I'd be more upset. I'm disappointed to not get watch Ohio State rematch Clemson. The way all the talking heads were going Saturday night I thought OSU would be in since they didn't play Mercer in week 11.

That's fine. Let the final come down to Clemson and Georgia. mayfield is the reincarnation of ryan leaf and everybody is tired of AlaBAMA.

Not everyone, just you! :D

Agreed, if we don't have week one defense back for the game it's going to be a long night. But at least we get to see Bama play at LEAST one more time this season.

LDA6339
12-04-2017, 05:42 PM
Not everyone, just you! :D

Agreed, if we don't have week one defense back for the game it's going to be a long night. But at least we get to see Bama play at LEAST one more time this season.

I was told all Linebackers except one will be back, and I was told Minkah Fitzpatrick will be back up to 100%, apparently he has been playing but not 100% here lately with a hamstring injury.

CantRepeat
12-04-2017, 07:05 PM
I was told all Linebackers except one will be back, and I was told Minkah Fitzpatrick will be back up to 100%, apparently he has been playing but not 100% here lately with a hamstring injury.

Hammies, if you even partly pulled one in your life, are extremely painful. It's like the worlds worst long term muscule crap that wont go away.

TyTanium
12-04-2017, 08:07 PM

That’s what they said on the news last night. ^^^

Minkah is 100% and only 3 injured players that won’t be in the Clemson game: Linebacker Shaun Dion Hamilton, Safety Hootie Jones and Tight end Miller Forristall.

Alabama has played most of the season with 4 linebackers on the sideline. 3 of them will be near 100% for the playoff.

CantRepeat
12-04-2017, 08:35 PM
That’s what they said on the news last night. ^^^

Minkah is 100% and only 3 injured players that won’t be in the Clemson game: Linebacker Shaun Dion Hamilton, Safety Hootie Jones and Tight end Miller Forristall.

Alabama has played most of the season with 4 linebackers on the sideline. 3 of them will be near 100% for the playoff.

IMHO, Hamilton is the most important.

93Prostar190
12-04-2017, 09:32 PM
Let’s keep our eye on the ball people, one more big game left before bowl season ....... Go Army! Beat Navy!

TyTanium
12-04-2017, 11:03 PM
IMHO, Hamilton is the most important.

Out of the three hurt ones, I agree!

shepherd
12-05-2017, 10:02 AM

stuartmcnair
12-06-2017, 09:38 AM

Here's the problem with your statement. No one schedules more tough games to open the season than Alabama. Alabama, in the Saban era, has opened the season with teams like Clemson, Virginia Tech, West Virginia, Penn State (2nd game), Michigan, Wisconsin and Florida State (they were ranked #3 before their QB got injured, don't act like that didn't matter). For the most part Bama plays one of the hardest schedules in the nation every year.

Yes, there are some cupcakes. No, that is not going to change. Those cupcakes are always home games and generate a ton of revenue that a home and home with a power 5 would not be able to make up.

You shouldn't regret playing Oklahoma, that wasn't the problem at all. The problem was you got absolutely destroyed by a pathetic Iowa team. Not just beaten, manhandled. Were it not for that? In. There is yet to be a champion without a loss so the Oklahoma argument does not hold water.

jharmon203
12-06-2017, 10:16 AM
Here's the problem with your statement. No one schedules more tough games to open the season than Alabama. Alabama, in the Saban era, has opened the season with teams like Clemson, Virginia Tech, West Virginia, Penn State (2nd game), Michigan, Wisconsin and Florida State (they were ranked #3 before their QB got injured, don't act like that didn't matter). For the most part Bama plays one of the hardest schedules in the nation every year.

Yes, there are some cupcakes. No, that is not going to change. Those cupcakes are always home games and generate a ton of revenue that a home and home with a power 5 would not be able to make up.

You shouldn't regret playing Oklahoma, that wasn't the problem at all. The problem was you got absolutely destroyed by a pathetic Iowa team. Not just beaten, manhandled. Were it not for that? In. There is yet to be a champion without a loss so the Oklahoma argument does not hold water.

I will give props to Alabama for trying to schedule a tough opponent in Florida State at the beginning of the year. It's not Alabama's fault Florida State tanked. However, it still has to be factored in with being a game that wasn't as difficult. Furthermore, the SEC isn't the powerhouse it used to be. Yes it still has excellent teams in it, but it's not the gauntlet it was 5 years ago. Ohio State certainly plays cupcakes as well and I agree it helps on both sides of the ball.

However, to say that the loss to Oklahoma wasn't part of the problem I completely disagree because people keep talking about Ohio State being a two-loss team. If we had scheduled another cupcake, then it more than likely would have been a one-loss team. Then we can compare resumes.

OSU beats two top ten teams and another in the top 15, wins their conference championship, and has a loss to an unranked opponent. Alabama beats two top 25, but lose the Iron Bowl to which their opponent got rocked in the conference title, and we have to talk about Fresno to bolster their case... OSU's loss does look worse, but their wins look much better.

Why does the SEC schedule the cupcakes late November? Do you enjoy watching those games?

The CFP decision was more about losses rather than quality wins. When the CFP was created, people celebrated it because it meant that it was going to encourage tougher match-ups. Should Alabama be penalized for Florida State tanking (because everyone thought that would probably be a quality win), the answer is unfortunately "yes". I can just about guarantee if Oklahoma would have tanked like Florida State did, then OSU would not have gotten in last year.

Again, I wanted OSU in because it encouraged quality wins with the conference championship.

dvsone79
12-06-2017, 11:10 AM
Here’s another angle to it: how likely is it that if OSU got in, they lay a goose egg and everyone questions the committee’s decision? Not very likely, but it happened last year against Clemson. On the other hand, how likely is Bama to lay a turd? Virtually zero chance. Saban will have his team ready and if they lose (I don’t think they will, I think they’ll win it all) it will still be a close game. I guarantee that was in the minds of the committee as they made this decision.

stuartmcnair
12-06-2017, 01:03 PM
I meant the Oklahoma loss was not a problem because of Alabama's comparable loss to Auburn (difference being home loss versus away loss to similarly ranked team). Another issue is how you determine a top 10 or top 25 win. It should be when the game is played but revisionists have decided that it matters what they are at the end. So using that philosophy discounts Alabama's wins because teams fell apart after those games. Could be due to injuries or any number of reasons. However, the committee does not view games in that light. The committee watches the games, grades the film, determines what the teams looked like in the games as they were played. Hence, Alabama looked like a much better and more consistent team in that regard.

I was on the field for the Bama-FSU game and it was the hardest hitting game I have ever witnessed. That's up there with some pretty big games. They fell apart later but don't act like that team didn't have some serious talent.

jharmon203
12-06-2017, 03:27 PM
Another issue is how you determine a top 10 or top 25 win. It should be when the game is played but revisionists have decided that it matters what they are at the end. So using that philosophy discounts Alabama's wins because teams fell apart after those games.

Well then OSU would have two top 5 wins (Penn State at 2 and Wisconsin at 4) and 3 top 15 wins;) Beating the No 12 team in the country by 45 points. However, the early rankings are not really accurate because those are not what the CFP put them at. Why do you think they wait until like week 8 to release the rankings? Because the body of work hasn't been proven yet and there would be no true way of proving a top 5 ranking. Is Alabama a top 5 team in the country right now? Yes. Is FSU? No. Is Penn State a top 5 team in the country? No. Is Wisconsin? Probably not. However, the committee put them at 4 because they had zero losses which brings me back to my original point on how detrimental losses are.

I agree with Tim's assessment that I glad Wisconsin didn't win, not only because they played OSU, but because the committee would have had to put them into the playoff by playing one top opponent and having zero losses. Why was Wisconsin part of the conversation? Because they had zero losses.....

TayMC197
12-06-2017, 06:46 PM
I will give props to Alabama for trying to schedule a tough opponent in Florida State at the beginning of the year. It's not Alabama's fault Florida State tanked. However, it still has to be factored in with being a game that wasn't as difficult. Furthermore, the SEC isn't the powerhouse it used to be. Yes it still has excellent teams in it, but it's not the gauntlet it was 5 years ago. Ohio State certainly plays cupcakes as well and I agree it helps on both sides of the ball.

However, to say that the loss to Oklahoma wasn't part of the problem I completely disagree because people keep talking about Ohio State being a two-loss team. If we had scheduled another cupcake, then it more than likely would have been a one-loss team. Then we can compare resumes.

OSU beats two top ten teams and another in the top 15, wins their conference championship, and has a loss to an unranked opponent. Alabama beats two top 25, but lose the Iron Bowl to which their opponent got rocked in the conference title, and we have to talk about Fresno to bolster their case... OSU's loss does look worse, but their wins look much better.

Why does the SEC schedule the cupcakes late November? Do you enjoy watching those games?

The CFP decision was more about losses rather than quality wins. When the CFP was created, people celebrated it because it meant that it was going to encourage tougher match-ups. Should Alabama be penalized for Florida State tanking (because everyone thought that would probably be a quality win), the answer is unfortunately "yes". I can just about guarantee if Oklahoma would have tanked like Florida State did, then OSU would not have gotten in last year.

Again, I wanted OSU in because it encouraged quality wins with the conference championship.

Mercer was the only cupcake game Bama had in November. LSU, Tennesse(sucks), Mississippi State (not that bad), Mercer, Auburn. Typically that cupcake game is a chance for them to rest before a big rival. Bama's loss was to a rival on Auburns home field. That's most of the time a close game even if one team isn't doing well. Bama typically schedules a tough out of conference opponent, followed by 2 fairly easy, then begins the SEC gauntlet.

Lets say OSU had one loss and the Oklahoma thing didn't happen. Now compare losses. Bama's loss wasn't a disgrace. OSU, good luck trying to explain that quality loss.

Now was I surprised Bama made it, yes.. but I did feel they deserved it. Nobody from OSU was crying last year when they didn't win the conference and made it. They had a chance, now a chance has been given to Bama.

LDA6339
12-06-2017, 10:13 PM
In my eyes Bama laid 3 eggs this season:

They barely survived a 7-5 Texas A&M team (8 point game)
Bama beat 8-4 Miss St (ranked 24) by a late touchdown drive to save the game (7 point game)
Bama lost by 12 to Auburn in what was by far the most undisciplined game they have played in a very long time under Saban (lots of false starts, a few fumbled snaps, etc.)

If I was in the committee I would have put Ohio in over Bama because I expect more from the Dynasty, barely beating 2 teams that arent' that good, and losing to Auburn in such an undisciplined fashion should somehow be measured against the one egg laid by Ohio State.

All that being said, I'm glad Bama got in because SEC, but I think its fair to say they look at losses more than they look at quality of wins.

jharmon203
12-07-2017, 08:46 AM
Mercer was the only cupcake game Bama had in November. LSU, Tennesse(sucks), Mississippi State (not that bad), Mercer, Auburn. Typically that cupcake game is a chance for them to rest before a big rival. Bama's loss was to a rival on Auburns home field. That's most of the time a close game even if one team isn't doing well. Bama typically schedules a tough out of conference opponent, followed by 2 fairly easy, then begins the SEC gauntlet.

Lets say OSU had one loss and the Oklahoma thing didn't happen. Now compare losses. Bama's loss wasn't a disgrace. OSU, good luck trying to explain that quality loss.

Now was I surprised Bama made it, yes.. but I did feel they deserved it. Nobody from OSU was crying last year when they didn't win the conference and made it. They had a chance, now a chance has been given to Bama.

To your first point: My point was cupcakes in November. The Big Ten doesn't have cupcakes in November. All of ours are typically at the beginning of the year.

To your second point: You are kind of proving my case here. I didn't say Iowa was a quality loss. We didn't show up and our guys gave up. It's looks bad. However, quality wins should carry more weight. OSU has more.

Third point: Huge difference again this year because the big ten didn't send two teams last year. It didn't come at the detriment of the SEC or any other conference (the big 12 didn't have a chance to get someone in, Penn State was ranked 5th). The committee selected an OSU team that beat a top ten Opponent away(OU), lost to an opponent away by 3 points after 3 consecutive bye weeks (which didn't allow them to play in the big ten title), and beat their rival ranked in the top 10.

Mastercraftdave
12-07-2017, 09:07 AM
I love the notion that the SEC is having a down year when they have two teams in the Playoffs and teams like Auburn and LSU that could probably beat the majority of the teams ranked ahead of them.

The Big 10 has maybe two good teams, and same thing with the Big 12. I find this very funny when Anti-SEC people say its a down year.

stuartmcnair
12-07-2017, 09:48 AM
It's a down year across college football, not just the SEC. There really aren't any "great" teams this year. A lot more injuries to key positions than normal in the SEC as well. Starkel doesn't get hurt against UCLA and the Aggies are a much different team. Alabama's linebackers all healthy? Huge difference. Deebo Samuel doesn't get hurt and South Carolina is a different team as well. Georgia may not have been as good had their QB stayed healthy.

Been kinda crazy this year.

TyTanium
12-07-2017, 11:46 AM
To your first point: My point was cupcakes in November. The Big Ten doesn't have cupcakes in November. All of ours are typically at the beginning of the year.

To your second point: You are kind of proving my case here. I didn't say Iowa was a quality loss. We didn't show up and our guys gave up. It's looks bad. However, quality wins should carry more weight. OSU has more.

Third point: Huge difference again this year because the big ten didn't send two teams last year. It didn't come at the detriment of the SEC or any other conference (the big 12 didn't have a chance to get someone in, Penn State was ranked 5th). The committee selected an OSU team that beat a top ten Opponent away(OU), lost to an opponent away by 3 points after 3 consecutive bye weeks (which didn't allow them to play in the big ten title), and beat their rival ranked in the top 10.

The intent of the committee is to pick the 4 best teams, period.

Your comment about “detriment of the SEC or any other conference” suggests that you’re trying to ensure everybody gets a trophy. The conferences don’t matter. If the 4 best teams are in the Big10, they all get in.

Let’s put Ohio State in a 5 game series against Clemson on a neutral field. Does Ohio State win at least 3?
How about against Oklahoma?
Georgia?
Alabama?

The reason I say a 5 game series is to get closer to the average.

IMO they got the 4 best teams correct.

shepherd
12-11-2017, 05:16 PM
Ole Miss quarterback Shea Patterson transferring to Michigan.
They can sure use a decent QB up there.

captain planet
12-23-2017, 02:39 PM
Can anybody tell me what the two teams playing in the Dollar General Bowl have in common? :rolleyes:

That game has the Toledo Rockets facing off against the Appalachian State University Mountaineers. I'll be watching that game for sure.

Anyone? ;)

Double D
12-23-2017, 03:34 PM
Can anybody tell me what the two teams playing in the Dollar General Bowl have in common? :rolleyes:

That game has the Toledo Rockets facing off against the Appalachian State University Mountaineers. I'll be watching that game for sure.

Anyone? ;)

Easy, they both beat Meatchicken in past years.

captain planet
12-23-2017, 07:44 PM
Easy, they both beat Meatchicken in past years.

DING, DING, DING, What do we have for him Johnny? :D

captain planet
12-23-2017, 07:49 PM
Here is some other trivia I heard on Golic and Wingo the other day. Did you know that harbaugh and rich-rod are the only two meatchicken coaches to start their coaching careers 0-3 against THE Ohio State University? How awesome that harbum has that tied to him forever.

Fred Flintstone (hoke) would have gone 0-3 if Fickle wasn't head coach in 2011.

CantRepeat
12-24-2017, 05:58 AM
CP, none of that matters since the suckeyes didn't get into the playoffs.

captain planet
12-27-2017, 08:23 AM
I guess Appalachian State must have something for teams that wear yellow and blue.:rolleyes:

Maristar210
12-27-2017, 01:22 PM
I guess Appalachian State must have something for teams that wear yellow and blue.:rolleyes:

BUCKEYES SUCK AND HAPPY NEW YEAR

jsx30
12-27-2017, 04:23 PM
Latest sec shorts video...funny stuff, the middle school dance one was pretty funny too

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XrcJF4lxdDM

CantRepeat
12-27-2017, 08:35 PM
That's a pretty accurate video!!

CantRepeat
12-29-2017, 06:46 AM
I'm pretty sure this is Harvey Updyke's sister!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHJg1XrlNXQ

93Prostar190
12-30-2017, 05:04 PM
How bout those Buckeyes and Big 10!

captain planet
12-30-2017, 06:29 PM
How bout those Buckeyes and Big 10!

Hope Penn St. can keep it up.

Double D
12-30-2017, 11:34 PM
Wisconsin got it done. 7-0 BIG wins. Now for TTUN. Anyone else?

captain planet
12-31-2017, 10:05 AM
Wisconsin got it done. 7-0 BIG wins. Now for TTUN. Anyone else?

Go GAMECOCKS!!! I feel dirty rooting for an sec team....but it is meatchicken.

Oh, and go lsu as well. Again, feel dirty, but it is norte dame.

CantRepeat
12-31-2017, 11:27 AM
ESPN 300

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/playerrankings/_/order/true

Looks like Clemson is trying to corner the market on 5 stars this year.

Timr71
01-02-2018, 09:09 AM
Well?

I'm ready to read all of the anti-SEC / anti-Alabama vitriol. I've got my popcorn...let er rip.

What do we need? Playoff expansion? Guaranteed seeds for (undeserving) conference champions? Give all teams one mulligan card (a get out of Iowa free card)? Anti-SEC legislation?

One thing is certain: Next Monday night, an SEC team will win the conference's 9th National title in the past 12 seasons. SOOOOOO overrated.

There is actually something that could be done to get this under control...win the games on the field. Nah, that won't work. :)

Mastercraftdave
01-02-2018, 09:26 AM
The Anti-SEC banter is on its way.

I do think this will force an 8 team playoff, which should have been the case from the beginning. UCF really made this evident.

Timr71
01-02-2018, 09:46 AM
https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/look-twitter-is-not-pleased-with-alabama-vs-georgia-in-the-national-championship/

93Prostar190
01-02-2018, 09:54 AM
Congrats to Bama and Georgia .... good wins and fun games to watch!

Should be a good one ... I am not sure about the SEC haters .... it is a bit regional, but overall I think a pretty darn good bowl season so far.

Happy for the Big 10, except for the 1 blemish.
Super Happy about Army.

and lastly .... Frost needs to shut up ......

CantRepeat
01-02-2018, 09:56 AM
There's nothing to say. This thread will be very quiet until next year.

Bama got CLEMDATION!!!

Timr71
01-02-2018, 10:06 AM
Agreed. Kudos to the B1G for such a strong bowl season.

2RLAKE
01-02-2018, 10:15 AM
great games last night ... that Oklahoma-Georgia was fun to watch ... should be a good national championship game

captain planet
01-02-2018, 10:33 AM
Yea, the Big 10 was undefeated this bowl season. Nice to see.

hondaprlud
01-02-2018, 11:00 AM
SEC proved they deserved 2 entries. Hats off to them.

Olaff
01-02-2018, 12:19 PM
I just wish Clemson would have beat them again. I'm still not sure how that State between Mississippi and Georgia got in the playoffs even though they weren't undefeated...
I loved watching Sabin get run over by his own QB!!!

maxpower220
01-02-2018, 12:33 PM
Sooner fans are almost harder to find today than Auburn fans. Congrats to the #2 team in the country (and only undefeated) UCF.

The playoffs have been running for a few years now and has shown us the truth of college football. Expansion of teams to the playoff won't change the outcome. Going back to the BCS 1 vs 2 won't change the outcome. Truth: Nick Saban coached teams are the best in college football, SEC teams will win about 75% of all titles.

SteveO
01-02-2018, 12:34 PM
The Anti-SEC banter is on its way.

I do think this will force an 8 team playoff, which should have been the case from the beginning. UCF really made this evident.

I agree that an 8 team playoff would have cleared much of the concerns seen via the 4 team setup.

CantRepeat
01-02-2018, 12:49 PM
I just wish Clemson would have beat them again. I'm still not sure how that State between Mississippi and Georgia got in the playoffs even though they weren't undefeated...
I loved watching Sabin get run over by his own QB!!!

Put wish in one hand and **** in the other and see which one gets filled first.

The same way all the other one loss teams got in.

Sabin loved watching his team run all over Clemson.

dvsone79
01-02-2018, 02:24 PM
I’ve said it before, but now it has been validated. Anyone who thought Bama didn’t belong was delusional. Also, an 8 team playoff is overkill. All UCF proved is that any decent team has a shot at winning one game with a month of prep after a cupcake season. Let’s see them run the SEC gauntlet and then we’ll talk. Oh wait, no they don’t have the depth. They’d be a 3 or 4 loss team in the SEC.

jsx30
01-02-2018, 09:19 PM
The GA/Oklahoma game was probably one of the most exciting games I have ever watched. Watching Mayfield cry in the post game show made me love the sec that much more. The bama Clemson game to me was boring to watch after that one. I think it's classic bama mentality that there's an audible rumble for Hurts to be benched. The auburn Ucf game was a painful thing to watch as an auburn fan. UCF showed up to play and played a great game...I don't think malzahn will last more than 2 more seasons at auburn...he's ridden cam newton's coat tails as far as he can...

This ends my random thoughts and ruminations on the games yesterday...

CantRepeat
01-02-2018, 09:26 PM
They just signed malzahn to a 7 year extension worth almost 50 million. That buyout in 2 years will be way more then Auburn will pay. He's there for at least 5 more years.

Bama
01-02-2018, 11:54 PM
Someone told me a long time ago, you will know when your team is good. EVERYONE WILL HATE THEM!
Great to see Kirby Smart`s Bulldogs WIN! They will HATE him as well one day.
Dabo, we love you but you too will be HATED.
Hats off to the Big 10

jsx30
01-03-2018, 06:25 AM
They just signed malzahn to a 7 year extension worth almost 50 million. That buyout in 2 years will be way more then Auburn will pay. He's there for at least 5 more years.

You may be right. I made a New Years resolution to be more optimistic. So I'm trying...Maybe Auburn will decide to buy him out Gene Chizik style...

CantRepeat
01-03-2018, 06:36 AM
You may be right. I made a New Years resolution to be more optimistic. So I'm trying...Maybe Auburn will decide to buy him out Gene Chizik style...

Well, football is very important to Auburn University so you never know.

Gene's buyout was 7.5m and then they added another $209k to buyout the rest of his staff.

If they let Gus go at the 2 year mark they would be on the hook for say roughly 25m + the price of a new head coach. However, if they wait until he has 2 years left it would be closer to 10m. Either way, there are enough wealthy Alum that would pay either amount for a coach that could get Auburn 2 titles in those 5 years.

But, you have to wonder what did Kirby Smart ask from Auburn that they would not pay? I mean, he got 3.75m a year from Georgia and Gus got 4.75m.

Kirby will get 1m bonus this year. $400k for winning SEC champ game and either 1m for a national title and guaranteed $600k for just being in the title game plus another $200k for being ranked in the top 5 in the AP.

jsx30
01-03-2018, 11:27 AM
Well, football is very important to Auburn University so you never know.

Gene's buyout was 7.5m and then they added another $209k to buyout the rest of his staff.

If they let Gus go at the 2 year mark they would be on the hook for say roughly 25m + the price of a new head coach. However, if they wait until he has 2 years left it would be closer to 10m. Either way, there are enough wealthy Alum that would pay either amount for a coach that could get Auburn 2 titles in those 5 years.

But, you have to wonder what did Kirby Smart ask from Auburn that they would not pay? I mean, he got 3.75m a year from Georgia and Gus got 4.75m.

Kirby will get 1m bonus this year. $400k for winning SEC champ game and either 1m for a national title and guaranteed $600k for just being in the title game plus another $200k for being ranked in the top 5 in the AP.

In the span of 2 games, Gus went from about to be fired to a 7 year 50 million dollar contract. Arkansas was sniffing around, and I'm guessing Auburn matched whatever Arkansas was offering. I guess they saw what was going on at Tennessee at the time and didnt want to get into the same situation. It still baffles me why they didn't let him go to Arkansas.

maxpower220
01-03-2018, 07:53 PM
I know I'm the only one like this, but I don't have cable/dish/etc. (i.e. only antennae). On New Year's Eve and New Years day, there were only 2 college football games on network TV. That's just sad.

paco_06
01-03-2018, 08:47 PM
I know I'm the only one like this, but I don't have cable/dish/etc. (i.e. only antennae). On New Year's Eve and New Years day, there were only 2 college football games on network TV. That's just sad.Yep, that's all I have too. It was weird nothing being on. I have access to sling, but I just hate to sign up knowing I'll only use it during football season and probably rarely at that!

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk