PDA

View Full Version : Can I call this a wakeboarding injury?

kgrove
06-29-2012, 03:55 PM
I'm really bummed. I went out today and had a blast - felt like I was really improving and working on some skills. We come back and I'm not with my normal crew so I'm having to do almost everything solo. I power the boat up the trailer, boat buddy engages, kill the engine and go to winch it tight. I'm laying on my belly and start winching and the handle gets down low where I have no leverage, but I still need to tighten it so I give it a little more pull... And I rupture my bicep tendon. One of the people with me was standing about 10 feet away and could here the popping noises over the clicking of the winch. My bicep has partially retracted near my shoulder and is off a little to one side, so little doubt what I did.

Google tells me I have to get surgery and recovery will be at least 2-3 months. Bad bad day. And I can't even really claim this is a wakeboarding injury. That would sound so much cooler.

Specter
06-29-2012, 04:02 PM
Dang, that sounds painful. Here's to a speedy recovery.

web
06-29-2012, 04:24 PM
You probably want to have the surgery very soon. What you describe sounds similar to what a friend of mine did several years ago. I don't know the details exactly, but I think he told me that by the time he had someone look at it they said it couldn't be repaired because the tendon (I think) had shrunk back too much. So he has permanent 1/2 strength in that bicep...and it kind of looks funny too, in a ball like he's always flexing.

Best wishes for a quick recovery for you.

thatsmrmastercraft
06-29-2012, 05:27 PM
I'm really bummed. I went out today and had a blast - felt like I was really improving and working on some skills. We come back and I'm not with my normal crew so I'm having to do almost everything solo. I power the boat up the trailer, boat buddy engages, kill the engine and go to winch it tight. I'm laying on my belly and start winching and the handle gets down low where I have no leverage, but I still need to tighten it so I give it a little more pull... And I rupture my bicep tendon. One of the people with me was standing about 10 feet away and could here the popping noises over the clicking of the winch. My bicep has partially retracted near my shoulder and is off a little to one side, so little doubt what I did.

Google tells me I have to get surgery and recovery will be at least 2-3 months. Bad bad day. And I can't even really claim this is a wakeboarding injury. That would sound so much cooler.

Sounds more like a boat ramp blooper. :rolleyes:

Sorry to hear about the injury. I spent last summer/fall out of commission from a stupid accident and related surgery on my neck. If dictated, do the surgery A.S.A.P. and really follow the therapy. Good luck.

shepherd
06-29-2012, 05:30 PM
I think you deserve to call it a wakeboard injury. "Wakeboard-related" at least. Best of luck to you for a quick recovery. If it was me, I'd be seeing the doctor today if they could fit me in.

cpr05xtr
06-29-2012, 05:32 PM
man next time you need to make someone stick around and help you out. My dad did that to his calf snow skiing a few years back and his calf is still balled up. Hope it dose not ruin your summer get well soon

snork
06-29-2012, 05:44 PM
I have a blown bicep years ago from racquetball did not get it reconnected but did not lose any strength just looks as described above
Three weeks ago I blew my Triceps in the same arm from massive Raleys and S-Bends probably 5 too many :( the swelling has gone down some but the arm is black and blue and incredibly sore.
If its not too late I might have it addressed this fall but I never heard any good outcomes from surgery
This blows

JohnE
06-29-2012, 07:50 PM
Delete this thread, come up with a better story, and learn to like surfing and drinking. You can do both with only one hand.

Seriously sorry to hear about your injury.

madcityskier
06-29-2012, 08:17 PM
I couldn't say it's a wakeboard injury. You'll have to be honest and tell them you were picking up a 4000 lb boat.

kgrove
06-30-2012, 12:34 AM
Seriously bummed. Surgery scheduled for Friday. The only good news is the doc thinks I should be back to normal activity in about 2 months following surgery, so I should be back on the water somewhere maybe just the other side of Labor Day. I trust he knows what he's doing, but damn that seems fast.

I guess they have to take a screw and reattach the bicep tendon to my forearm near the elbow. My wife didn't think it was funny when I said "Awesome, this will be the first screw I've had in months".

AZX45OD
06-30-2012, 01:04 AM
sorry to hear about your injury. hopefully you'll still be able to fit in many lake trips in Sept-October.

AZX9
06-30-2012, 02:23 AM
You should be able to drink beer on the platform with the other hand.

kgrove
06-30-2012, 02:41 AM
I'm sure it won't be long before I break out the surfboard.

kgrove
07-03-2012, 06:19 PM
Crap. Apparently I misunderstood the doctor. Recovery from a ruptured bicep tendon is 2 months to having full range of motion, not full activity. He says I'll be lucky to get clearance for something like wakeboarding in 4 months... 4 to 6 months is typical. I'm staring at November to January before I get the green light.

The important part I learned for those listening: if you feel a muscle pull and hear a pop, get it checked out ASAP. If it is a tendon rupture, surgery is best done quickly before the muscle and tendon have time to retract and form scar tissue. Luckily for me I didn't do my normal routine and wait it out to see if it got better on its own. This one would have been easy to skip as just a pulled muscle. It actually doesn't hurt as bad as I would have assumed from the description of the injury.

pmkkdx
07-03-2012, 06:38 PM
Seriously bummed. Surgery scheduled for Friday. The only good news is the doc thinks I should be back to normal activity in about 2 months following surgery, so I should be back on the water somewhere maybe just the other side of Labor Day. I trust he knows what he's doing, but damn that seems fast.

I guess they have to take a screw and reattach the bicep tendon to my forearm near the elbow. My wife didn't think it was funny when I said "Awesome, this will be the first screw I've had in months".

hahaha ... I can relate, wife's (at least mine) don't have much of a sense of humor in that regard!!!

first off, I would NOT state anywhere it was related to a wakeboarding (or even boating for that matter) accident as it might be the tipping point to cause all our insurance to take a hit. I learned that years back dealing with dirt bike (motorized) accidents started forcing various sanctioned events for the land owners to have liability insurance which closed dozens of events due to the costs involved. I would leave it as merely an incident involving a winch.

good luck with the surgery and rehab! I was forced to stay off my dirt bike for 6 months following my first back surgery (the doctor told me I could do anything I normally would do in 6 weeks to 2 months, but my wife told him I raced dirt bikes in which I bumped it out to 6 months minimum).

saberworks
07-03-2012, 07:27 PM
Just hold on with the other hand!

TayMC197
07-03-2012, 07:35 PM
Have surgery ASAP. It'll take about 3 months to be about 85-90%. I did this last match. It sucks but can be recovered. Longer you wait for surgery, the harder it is to fix and the more the muscle atrophy.