PDA

View Full Version : Elbow tendonitis

davidstan
06-29-2012, 01:33 PM
Slalom skiing seems to kill my tendons going from the wrist to elbows. Right now i have to take a few weeks off and surf and board instead at below 20 mph speeds. Anyone else have this issue? it is called golfers elbow strangely and i have been getting some therapy but advil seems to be the only relief. Dr gave me some stretch and low weight excercise to do so mid summer slalom is out for now :(

mikeg205
06-29-2012, 08:38 PM
When you get better...do an easier start so you don't shock the tendons on the hole shot start. That snap shock travels right up the rope to your fore arm. Get some HO Tail gloves they have nice wrist supports. This brace takes the strain off the upper forearm... http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=15249956&findingMethod=rr

KYshooter
06-29-2012, 08:56 PM
I feel ya. Got the same thing from a Crossfit workout and been struggling with it for 6 weeks now. It doesn't hurt all the time, but certain directions or pulls and it aches pretty good. My wife is in the medical field and says its just inflammation since it is still strong. So far I've tried getting rid of foods associated with inflammation (like wheat) and eating more food with natural inflammatory properties. Was feeling better this week so pushed it a little today and back to sore. Uggghh. Wife says need to take prescription doses of ibuprofen for two weeks consistently. Yuck, but desperate now. Still boarding and surfing, but no way on skiing.

macattack
06-29-2012, 09:39 PM
Check out this thread...mac

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=32092&highlight=elbow

Jeff Lyman
07-01-2012, 09:06 AM
Years ago I had the same issues. I started drinking more water and taking 500mg of Glueclosemine for joints. Still take the Gluec. now 6 years later and no tendend issues at 51 years young.

I use a shaped handle skiing and believe that also helps.

TNH2oSkier
07-01-2012, 01:26 PM
Try using a radius handle, it helps mine. I also try to minimize my slack hits.

kjohnson
07-02-2012, 01:20 PM
Slalom skiing seems to kill my tendons going from the wrist to elbows. Right now i have to take a few weeks off and surf and board instead at below 20 mph speeds. Anyone else have this issue? it is called golfers elbow strangely and i have been getting some therapy but advil seems to be the only relief. Dr gave me some stretch and low weight excercise to do so mid summer slalom is out for now :(

I have had this problem for years. Three things help. The stretch exercises, take Alleve (or generic, in the am and pm) everyday (don't miss a day) and get straps that tighten around your forearms that compress the tendons while you ar skiing (you can buy these on the internet). Tendonitis is inflamation and the alleve really helps.

ntidsl
07-02-2012, 02:35 PM
Had it for 12 years now. I just live with it to be honest. Hurts really bad sometimes I wince in pain.

davidstan
07-02-2012, 03:26 PM
To sum this up, IBU, Radius handle, special gloves and elbow straps. May be easier to go back to playing tennis where i never had elbow pain :rolleyes:. Something i never knew but makes sense is a new rope every so often due to rope losing elasticity. Our rope is 5 years old and prolly 200 hrs skiing.

gatorguy
07-02-2012, 03:58 PM
I am on the "almost completely better" side of my elbow tendonitis. I had an acute flair at the start of last season. I could hardly pinch a piece of paper it hurt so bad. Tons of stretching, IBU, elbow strap, even a wrist ****-up splint, some PT/OT, ultrasound therapy, a steroid injection, and resting it as much as possible. You can rest it simply by using your other arm as much as possible and when you have to use your hurt arm, protect it with a splint, and good body position. For example when picking up your pants from off the floor, turn your hand palm up so that you use your flexors instead of your extensors.

As skier we are prone to this type of injury because we are constantly using our wrist extensors as we grip the handle. In order to increase our grip strength we extend our wrist thus putting the wrist flexors (our gripping muscles) on stretch. A muscle is stronger when it is at its longest length, ie. on stretch. The pain comes from small tears in the tendon hooking the muscle to the bone, and those tears cause inflammation. So those above who said this is an inflammatory process were right, but it started as a mechanical problem that is exacerbated by inflammation. Long story short it is not something that should be ignored, or just “played through.” It is a progressive disease that if not addressed will become a chronic problem, and will eventually require a surgery that doesn’t even work every good. The biggest problem is that the only treatment that actually works very well is complete rest for 6wks, but that is almost impossible for regular humans because we use our hands for everything.

Good luck. I hope yours gets better soon.

TNH2oSkier
07-02-2012, 04:09 PM
New rope is critical, sorry I missed that. Once they become worn out they are like a piece of steel cable. Just changed mine out sunday. We go through 3 or 4 ropes a season, even though they still look good. I swap the newest used ones out to the ez up, and then toss the ez up rope.

davidstan
07-02-2012, 07:26 PM
Does length of rope make a difference? We ski approx 65 ft long rope. We are intermediate ski level so what would be the recommended length for rec skiing?

beef
07-04-2012, 10:00 AM
I've had this problem for a couple of seasons, but have pretty much beat it now. Agree with all posted here so far. I would add to start with both palms facing down, instead of a baseball bat grip. Started doing that a season or two ago and it definitely reduces the strain on the "palm up" elbow.

nkorep2
07-04-2012, 01:24 PM
Could also check out what is called "prolotherapy" the surgeons dont believe in it, but Ive personally had success with it in dealing with tennis elbow, which is on the outside of the elbow vs. golfers which is on the inside.

Additionally, there is a chiropractic technique that works too, but hurts to do called the "graston technique" Im not sure of the spelling. But basically they rub a butter knife- like piece of metal over the affected area. It is supposed to break up the scaring and allow for normalization of that tendon tissue. It worked for tennis elbow, and work tremendously well for scar tissue build up I had after a hand surgery. Broke up a 3/16in thick layer of scar on my palm, no kidding.

rhsprostar
07-05-2012, 12:26 PM
To sum this up, IBU, Radius handle, special gloves and elbow straps. May be easier to go back to playing tennis where i never had elbow pain :rolleyes:. Something i never knew but makes sense is a new rope every so often due to rope losing elasticity. Our rope is 5 years old and prolly 200 hrs skiing.

WOW! 5 year old rope with 200 hours! Have you ever broken a rope while skiing? GET A NEW ROPE ASAP!
If that rope breaks while you are skiing you will have one of thge worst falls of your life...trust me I know from experience:mad:

On another note the radius handle worked really well for me. Also stretching your hand back by pulling back on your fingers and holding for 30 seconds and repeat....

Jeff Lyman
07-08-2012, 09:25 PM
Careful with the Aleve I agree it works great for inflamation. I was taking it every day after double knee \ tendon surgery. I started to get an upset stomach after everything I ate. I had to cut the Aleve down to almost nothing to be able to eat again.

kjohnson
07-09-2012, 08:15 AM
Careful with the Aleve I agree it works great for inflamation. I was taking it every day after double knee \ tendon surgery. I started to get an upset stomach after everything I ate. I had to cut the Aleve down to almost nothing to be able to eat again.

I agree with you about Alleve and the stomach. I use Tums and it seems to help. Since I have started taking one Alleve everyday, I don't have any pain. Before, I could not pick up 5# the day after I skied. I know that the Alleve, forearm wrap, etc, are only masking the problem, but it is the only way I can continue to ski pain free. Not good in the long run, but I'm not ready to stop skiing. I am 55 and ski on a course. I don't know how many more years I will be able to last but I am going to keep going as long as I can. Once you start chasing buoys you get addicted.

davidstan
07-09-2012, 07:43 PM
We switched out our old rope for new this wknd and big difference on this Mon. Will try the radius handle on Friday and report back. The elbow brace just made my arm sore but the rope change helped I think. Question. Does length of rope make a difference if you don't course ski but just rec skiing?

TNH2oSkier
07-10-2012, 08:38 PM
65' should be perfect for open water skiing.

Jeff Lyman
07-10-2012, 10:05 PM
I agree on the new rope vs old yes the elastic in the new is much more than the overstretched old one. Nobody I ski with (6 guys) has ever complained of elbo issues and we always use a radius handle. I would guess that helps a bunch.

Johnson.... 55 isnt anything I hope.... almost there myself. I plan to ski into my 60's easy have a few buddys that already do it course and all.

davidstan
07-18-2012, 04:33 PM
Thanks for your replies. I found the source of my problems and i feel stupid. it was my technique getting out of the water on the start, i noticed both arms slightly bent. I am used to coming out w/ arms very straight so shoulders take the stress but i guess i got into the habit of bending at the elbow a little and strain was filtering into the elbows. :rolleyes:

gatorguy
07-23-2012, 10:24 AM
Johnson.... 55 isnt anything I hope.... almost there myself. I plan to ski into my 60's easy have a few buddys that already do it course and all.

Just met a guy at lake Powell who is 70yo and skis the course every morning and evening. On his 70th B-day he took 70 passes. He runs the course perfectly at 15 off and 28mph. He also runs it on his air chair every morning after he slaloms it. I watched him take 10 passes with no rest. Oh, he also had both knees replaced last year.

Funny thing is that he's a motivational speaker, and he totally motivated me without even opening his mouth. His name is Joel and his is always down the left end of last chance in a blue and white houseboat that says "success in a can" on the side.

kjohnson
07-23-2012, 12:54 PM
Just met a guy at lake Powell who is 70yo and skis the course every morning and evening. On his 70th B-day he took 70 passes. He runs the course perfectly at 15 off and 28mph. He also runs it on his air chair every morning after he slaloms it. I watched him take 10 passes with no rest. Oh, he also had both knees replaced last year.

Funny thing is that he's a motivational speaker, and he totally motivated me without even opening his mouth. His name is Joel and his is always down the left end of last chance in a blue and white houseboat that says "success in a can" on the side.

He must be taking steroids or something. :-) I am tired after 12-18 passes in one day!