PDA

View Full Version : Recarpeting trailer bunks - the ends?

TN X-45
06-28-2012, 09:13 PM
Anyone have a quick tip for doing the tips of the bunks with carpet? I followed all previous advice - olefin carpet from Lowes, monel staplers, electric staple gun, etc, but cannot find any easy tips for doing the ends??? It took me forever on the first bunk, cutting and trial and error.

east tx skier
06-28-2012, 11:36 PM
That's about right. 45 degree cuts at the corners. Cut flaps so you're not doubling up. Keep stapling.

mtajpa
06-29-2012, 12:28 AM
Here is how I did mine.

TN X-45
06-29-2012, 08:51 AM
Thanks mtajpa and east!

gatorguy
06-29-2012, 09:39 AM
Looks good Mtajpa. When I did mine I was in a real big hurry, and I didn't even cover the ends because the boards where too long. I am thinking about pulling them off, trimming a few inches from one end and doing it right.

Miss Rita
06-29-2012, 04:21 PM
When I wrapped my carpet as pictured above I found that the stainless staples I had were too short. I had to use Stainless screws and finishing washers to hold the carpet down.

thatsmrmastercraft
06-29-2012, 04:22 PM
When I wrapped my carpet as pictured above I found that the stainless staples I had were too short. I had to use Stainless screws and finishing washers to hold the carpet down.

Takes more time but will last forever.

tockit
07-01-2012, 05:53 AM
Nice job mtajpa!

Anything in particular any of you guys do to keep the bolt from spinning after you put the carpet over them?

Ran into that this week.

JDC
07-01-2012, 10:06 AM
Nice job mtajpa!

Anything in particular any of you guys do to keep the bolt from spinning after you put the carpet over them?

Ran into that this week.If your bolts are long enough, you can double nut the end of the bolt to hold it. Double nutting is threading 2 nuts on the end and tightening them against each other, then hold the inside double nut to tighten, or the outside double nut to loosen, your bunk nut.

If they're short, you could clamp vise grips on the end of the bolt to hold it. You probably won't do anything with those boards except tighten the bolts anyway until your ready to do it over, so screwing up the ends of the threads is no big deal. You'd just have to cut the bolts off when that time comes.

For someone who may be just starting their project, if you're using new wood, drill the holes for your carriage bolts a bit small and knock the bolts in with a hammer. That helps hold the bolts a bit, but they still may spin if you have a small burr or nick in the threads and causes the nut to catch. Nylock nuts can be tight too.

New wood will also shrink up a bit as it dries out (in the off season) so they may need snugged up a bit later, and the double nut trick will help then.

mtajpa
07-01-2012, 10:14 AM
Drilled a recess hole for the carriage bolt slightly undersized. Then I put 3M 5200 on the underside of bolt. Smack it in with a hammer and fill recess with more 5200. Put some masking tape over the 5200 so it doesn't get all over everything. Then carpet the bunks. Don't use the nyloc nuts like was posted earlier. The 5200 will take a week to set up so just tighten the bunks down snug. Then go back in a week and tighten again and double nut.

mtajpa
07-01-2012, 12:29 PM
Pictures of the above. Plus I used this for my stapler.