PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Daddy Hauler

StrmChzr
06-28-2012, 05:01 PM
I purchased the Overton's Fuel Daddy a while back. My bro-n-law built this "hitch hauler" so I could safely transport 25 gallons in fuel daddy from gas station to boat dock using my SUV.

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/4412/gascaddy3.jpg

http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/1672/gascaddy5.jpg

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/1563/gascaddy2.jpg

http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/1157/gascaddy4.jpg

CantRepeat
06-28-2012, 05:43 PM
Pretty cool but I would say it's anything but safe to carry 25 gallons of gas in a plastic jug on the back of your car. It's more like a bomb waiting to go off. IMHO

ricford
06-28-2012, 05:54 PM
Pretty cool but I would say it's anything but safe to carry 25 gallons of gas in a plastic jug on the back of your car. It's more like a bomb waiting to go off. IMHO

You watch too many movies. Mythbusters tried to make a gas tank explode from a collision and were unsuccessful.

CantRepeat
06-28-2012, 06:13 PM
You watch too many movies. Mythbusters tried to make a gas tank explode from a collision and were unsuccessful.

A gas tank in a car or a plastic tank on the back of a car? If you think for one minute that gas is not explosive you are very wrong. lol at mythbusters not being able to get gas to catch fire.

If common static can ignite gas I'm pretty sure a spark from a crash could do so as well. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuZxFL9cGkI

Gas fumes are HIGHLY flammable.

Lucky26
06-28-2012, 06:19 PM
Having suffered third degree burns from gasoline I would not carry it on my vehicle. The hauler looks very well made though.

snork
06-28-2012, 06:26 PM
Gotta get the gas to the boat somehow looks well made too

CantRepeat
06-28-2012, 06:30 PM

I guess they didn't do it right. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVpQQj0iXSA

soacj
06-28-2012, 06:32 PM
Cool hauler--don't be tempted to fill that gas caddy on the platform without some sort of ground wire... Wife's relative was filling one in the bed of a pickup and fumes ignited due to static:eek:

We use 5 and 6 gallon jugs exclusively just because they're easier to deal with. That and a shaker type syphon tube works great for filling the boats and the PWC on the lifts.

As for concerns about carrying that on the back of the SUV, what's better--25 gallons of gas on the back, or 25 gallons in the interior???

BrooksfamX2
06-28-2012, 06:58 PM
Does anyone remember the Ford Pinto? just sayin'

It does look nice though.

JLowder
06-28-2012, 07:00 PM

Yeah, I tell that to Ralph Nader.

ricford
06-28-2012, 07:11 PM
Don't want to get into a whole thing here, but I didn't say it wouldn't catch fire. I said it wouldn't explode. Gas fumes are explosive in the right mix with air. A sealed container like that is pretty safe.

dog paw
06-28-2012, 08:34 PM

Fuel tanks in cars (and trucks) have been plastic jugs for years.

People make way to much over this stuff. Fuel is Flammable end of story. The what ifs get way out there...

Had a attendent refuse service to me last week. I have hauled hundereds of gallons of fuel from this station in these 20 gal steel drums that were hasmat rated to haul solvent anywhere in the country. She told me they were the wrong color........ BUT the law in our state says if its over 8 gal it must have DOT GAS on it. So be it, I borrowed one of those cheap 30 gal plastic tanks that you could jab a pencil through got my 30 gal of $1.73 gal "bonus points" high test and was on my way. along with the $700 a month I spend on fuel....

Just a little common sense, why is that so hard anymore???

StrmChzr
06-28-2012, 10:39 PM
I understand all the "gas is flammable" comments and don't disagree. In the FWIW department, the fuel daddy has a ground wire for fueling and it's HUMID in Kansas this time of year, so I'm more worried about some moron rear ending me in the 2.5 miles between dock and gas station. Actually, my biggest concern is the 150 lbs of fuel weight I'll be unloading - which is why I had the long ramp built.

CantRepeat
06-29-2012, 12:12 AM
Just a little common sense, why is that so hard anymore???

When someone plows into the back of you what good is common sense? Really what does any of your post have to do with the safety of gas when someone smashes into you?

jafo9
06-29-2012, 03:17 AM
interesting discussion. i often carry 6 5gallon plastic gas cans on a hitch carrier on the back of my suv. if they aren't in the carrier they are usually in the rear compartment of the vehicle.

would you guys say its safer to carry them in the vehicle or outside the vehicle?

CantRepeat
06-29-2012, 09:10 AM
interesting discussion. i often carry 6 5gallon plastic gas cans on a hitch carrier on the back of my suv. if they aren't in the carrier they are usually in the rear compartment of the vehicle.

would you guys say its safer to carry them in the vehicle or outside the vehicle?

I remember a study that was conducted about carrying gas in a can in the trunk of a car. I seem to remember 1 gallon of gas has the same explosive power as 14 sticks of dynamite. It was a long time ago and there was a time when a lot of people carried gas in their trunk.

I would think you are worse off to carry it inside the passenger compartment.

I'm not trying to be overly dramatic about it but as long as you know the risks that are involved and you make the decision to accept those risk it's all on you. ;)

gatorguy
06-29-2012, 10:20 AM
So it seems to me that according to all the “gas can explode” people there is no good way to transport fuel. How in the world are you supposed to get fuel to your boat without pulling the boat out of the water, or fueling on the water. Small cans in or out of the vehicle are dangerous. Large containers are dangerous. Does wrapping that plastic jug in a few millimeters of fiberglass and putting it on a trailer all the sudden make it safe? What about hanging it under a car next to the exhaust system? Still not safe in the event of a crash. No matter what you do fuel is flammable, and vapor is explosive and also poisonous. So what’s a guy to do? He could build his own fuel depot and have a tanker come fill it putting the transportation risk onto someone else. Not a realistic option for the masses, and it comes with its own set of risks. So give a guy a break, and credit for coming up with an innovative, practical, and reasonably safe solution to the problem he was presented with.

dog paw
06-29-2012, 12:00 PM
I'm not trying to be overly dramatic about it but as long as you know the risks that are involved and you make the decision to accept those risk it's all on you. ;)

There ya go :) I see way more "risk's" out on the water everytime I go out than hauling boat fuel.. Sorry if I came across wrong.

Gatorguy put it well, I could not. It just bugs me working with this kind of stuff since day one to have some one bust your balls cause your cans are the wrong color.... LOL! The last fuel tank I changed on a Yukon I cut up into small pieces with a chain saw so the landfill would accept it. No static issues :) Storm's B in law did a great job on the hauler. Just not a big fan of the plastic caddys To me that would be the ticket for a SUV.

CantRepeat
06-29-2012, 12:21 PM
Cry me a river! No ones busting anyone's balls.

The carrier is great metal work for sure.

What's the best way to get gas down to a boat with out pulling it out of the water. Probably in a gas can. :D

atthelake
06-29-2012, 02:19 PM
What's the best way to get gas down to a boat with out pulling it out of the water. Probably in a gas can. :D

A 65 gallon TidyTank with 50' of hose, automatic shut-off nozzle and a 13 GPM pump works great for me! Back down to the lift, roll out the hose and done in under 10 minutes, no fuss, no muss. Piping in an in-line flowmeter for when friends want to fill up their boats,sea-doos etc.