PDA

View Full Version : difficulty loading

occva
06-28-2012, 12:24 PM
I am having a hard time loading my boat ( 86 MC ) on a steep ramp. I have tried backing in deep, shallow and everywhere in between. It seems it needs alot of throttle to get it to climb high enough to get the bar hooked. Anyone have any tips?

mzimme
06-28-2012, 12:26 PM
Get some liquid rollers and spray your bunks with it next time you pull the boat off your trailer. That will make it easier to throttle the boat into place.

ntidsl
06-28-2012, 12:41 PM
Depends on your driver. My wife drives the vehicle most of the time and she is very good, probaly better than I these days. On certain ramps she knows that as I pull up she has to back down or vica versa. Our pontoon boat its crazy; she actually backs the trailer under the boat rather than me pulling the boat onto the trailer...its actually easier. Try it!

psychobilly
06-28-2012, 01:20 PM
Remove the factory bunks and throw them away! Order you some boards from Ultimate Bunk Boards dot com and you wont have this issue. Note to self, do not unhook your boat until it's in the water after installing these or you could possibly launch your boat on to the ramp they are so slick.

Jim@BAWS
06-28-2012, 01:41 PM
If you have the original factory v blocks...trashem...Get the new thinner ones. They allow just enough extra travel on the trailer for the boat to get into the locking arm easier.

Not a true advocate of liquid rollers...yes it works great. I ended up buying a a prop for a customer as I did not know he had it on his bunks. Very embarrasing to have a MC X7 on a boat ramp with basically no pitch at the top watching it slide off...there was nothing I could do...if you do use it be very careful. you do not want to unstrap your boat before it hits the water...speaking from experience

Jim@BAWS

blakehardesty
06-28-2012, 01:48 PM
If you have the original factory v blocks...trashem...Get the new thinner ones. They allow just enough extra travel on the trailer for the boat to get into the locking arm easier.

Not a true advocate of liquid rollers...yes it works great. I ended up buying a a prop for a customer as I did not know he had it on his bunks. Very embarrasing to have a MC X7 on a boat ramp with basically no pitch at the top watching it slide off...there was nothing I could do...if you do use it be very careful. you do not want to unstrap your boat before it hits the water...speaking from experience

Jim@BAWS

Eloborate please. I have the same problem but fortunatly I only take it out once a year.

occva
06-28-2012, 02:40 PM
Jim,
What is the thickness of the new blocks?

ricford
06-28-2012, 03:07 PM
On steep ramps the eye doesn't line up with the boat buddy on my 96 prostar because the back of the boat is still floating. I pull up easy till it touches or just before it touches, attach the winch strap, pull out of the water and winch the last few inches

Jim@BAWS
06-28-2012, 04:32 PM
Jim,
What is the thickness of the new blocks?

The old orignal blocks where made of wood probably 1 inch thick. The new ones are poly coated
with carpet. That extra 1/2 or so of forward drive allows the boat to seat easier in the v blocksOn steep ramps the eye doesn't line up with the boat buddy on my 96 prostar because the back of the boat is still floating. I pull up easy till it touches or just before it touches, attach the winch strap, pull out of the water and winch the last few inches

You have the boat to deep. Just the top of the fenders should be showing!!
Jim@BAWS

occva
06-28-2012, 04:55 PM
[QUOTE=Jim@BAWS;853428]The old orignal blocks where made of wood probably 1 inch thick. The new ones are poly coated
with carpet. That extra 1/2 or so of forward drive allows the boat to seat easier in the v blocks

Thanks, the blocks I have now are a full 1 1/2" thick plus the carpet. I will be switching soon.

orbeamlb
06-30-2012, 12:16 AM
I took me a few times to learn not to back the trailer in too far. The longer Bow Eye used with the Boat Buddy would get hung up on the V-Block. Tops of fenders exposed fixed that.

kgrove
06-30-2012, 01:49 AM
Either my trailer is different than everyone else's or X15s load different. If I put only 1-2 inches of water above the fenders, I have to use an uncomfortable amount of throttle to either pull the boat off or on the bunks (like enough throttle everyone looks at me and my prop is spinning water all over the launch area).

I've never taken a measuring stick out there, but I'm going to guess I have 4-6" of water above my fenders for it to be comfortable. I've never had any difficulty with the bow eye being too high or anything. Any other X15 owners on trailer depth? Do you need to go deeper than these threads suggest or is it just my setup? Maybe my fenders are lower or bunks higher.

langedp
06-30-2012, 07:30 AM
I don't power load. It's not allowed at most launches here. I put the trailer in pretty deep and just float the boat on. I only winch it a couple of feet. No boat buddy. I took it off long ago.

psychobilly
06-30-2012, 08:11 AM
Either my trailer is different than everyone else's or X15s load different. If I put only 1-2 inches of water above the fenders, I have to use an uncomfortable amount of throttle to either pull the boat off or on the bunks (like enough throttle everyone looks at me and my prop is spinning water all over the launch area).

I used to have to do the same thing until installing UBBs. Now I ease up, hook up winch and crank it up. Unloading the big ole beast is an ease now too. I used to have to throttle up like crazy and you know how these inboards walk on you.... Unloading by myself is an ease now. I keep my fenders 1/3 out of the water and then, as Jim has also instructed, I unhook her an I ease her right off the trailer...

d2jp
06-30-2012, 11:58 PM
I am having a hard time loading my boat ( 86 MC ) on a steep ramp. I have tried backing in deep, shallow and everywhere in between. It seems it needs alot of throttle to get it to climb high enough to get the bar hooked. Anyone have any tips?

I noticed this and discovered that on a steep ramp, the bow/keel was dragging on the hard rubber keel pad. It had also scraped off a good bit of gelcoat. I added a keel roller in front of the pad - boat loads like a dream and has prevented the gel getting gouged from the old keel pad.

Latin Flyer
07-01-2012, 07:59 AM
I discover liquid roller on this forum, best thing ever!

occva
07-01-2012, 06:11 PM
Thanks for the replys. Got some liquid rollers. Huge difference.

Also, I think power loading is only option on the old stars and stripes trailers. The winch is too low.

etduc
07-02-2012, 09:22 AM
Thanks for the replys. Got some liquid rollers. Huge difference.

Also, I think power loading is only option on the old stars and stripes trailers. The winch is too low.
Just don't unhook your winch strap, till the prop is over the water! Just sayin'

Not telling how I learned this, just learned it, the hard way. $$ Stuff really works, too well. :cool: