PDA

View Full Version : New Distributor for '93 PS 190

Master Earl Craft
06-27-2012, 04:00 PM
I have a '93 Prostar 190 with the 285HP 351 Windsor Indmar engine. I tried to replace the stock Prestolite distributor (PN F0JL121CA) with a Mallory replacement that is supposed to fit the 351W (PN 675-YLM554CV). Everyone at Indmar (Kentucky and California), Mallory and CP Performance said the new one should be an exact replacement and drop right in. Unfortunately, the new Mallory hangs up about 1/2" from seating. Right after the drive gear starts to mesh. The old Prestolite is about 1/2" longer and slides right back in. It appears the hex drive for the Mallory is about .015 smaller and therefore will not fit. Again, though it sounds weird, the longer Prestolite slides right in over the oil pump shaft and the shorter Mallory hangs up. Also of note, the additional 1/2" on the Prestolite seems to be attributed to some type of extension/adapter. Almost like an extension on your socket set. I gave up on the Mallory and put the old Prestolite back in, but am still looking for answers. It's almost like for some reason the original oil pump was replaced with one that has a shorter shaft and an adapter, with a smaller hex drive, was put on the distributor to compensate. Does anyone have any thoughts??? (And no, I was not into the adult beverages... yet):)

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
06-27-2012, 09:57 PM
Perhaps the mallory unit was mis boxed and is for a 302 which does have a shorter deck hence a shorter dizzy, other than this I got nothing.

Master Earl Craft
06-28-2012, 07:26 AM
On the Mallory PN tag is says its a 9 26302. Could it be as simple as that? I spoke with the folks at Mallory and CP Performance and they both said that was for the 351. I'd guess the 351 might have a tag that says 0 26351?

occva
06-28-2012, 11:21 AM
I recently replaced mine with the Pretronix. I had to rotate the hex in the engine so the new one would line up. Try dropping it in in many different positions, I did this and it would go down in two different positions. Next i started rotating the hex in the engine until I could get it in at TDC.

Master Earl Craft
06-28-2012, 05:35 PM
I was gointo try to drop an extension with a 5/16 socket on it and attempt to rotate the oil pump shaft, until I realized my new distributor was 1/2" shorter than the original. That's when I stopped to try to figure this all out.

Thanks for the advice

Master Earl Craft
07-10-2012, 08:46 AM
These photos explain my issues. No one at Indmar or Mallory has ever seen anything like this before... frustrating!!!