PDA

View Full Version : Finally a College Football Playoff!!!

trickskier
06-26-2012, 08:17 PM
A four-team playoff for college football has been formally approved by a presidential oversight committee, a dramatic change for the sport that will begin in 2014. The four teams will be chosen by a selection committee, the semifinals will be held at current bowl sites and the national championship game will be awarded to the highest bidder.

The 12-year deal is through the 2025 season.

The 11 conference commissioners and Notre Dame athletic director Jack Swarbrick presented their proposal to a board of 12 university presidents at the Dupont Circle Hotel. In less than three hours, the group agreed upon a postseason that college football fans have been clamoring for years.

The group of presidents also endorsed a rotation of the semifinal games among six bowl sites and rotation of the championship game among neutral sites. The championship game will be managed by the conferences and will not be branded as a bowl game. The group also announced the creation of a selection committee that will rank the teams to play in the playoff, "giving all the teams an equal opportunity to participate." The committee will consider win-loss record, strength of schedule, head-to-head results and whether a team is a conference champion.

"A four-team playoff doesn't go too far; it goes just the right amount," said Virginia Tech president Charles Sterger. "We are very pleased with this arrangement, even though some issues remain to be finalized."

Two main topics that need further discussion are how teams will be selected and how revenue will be distributed. The commissioners have agreed in principle as to how the revenue will be divided, according to Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany, but that has not been made public yet.

SkiDog
06-26-2012, 08:36 PM
A four-team playoff for college football has been formally approved by a presidential oversight committee, a dramatic change for the sport that will begin in 2014. The four teams will be chosen by a selection committee, the semifinals will be held at current bowl sites and the national championship game will be awarded to the highest bidder.

The 12-year deal is through the 2025 season.

The 11 conference commissioners and Notre Dame athletic director Jack Swarbrick presented their proposal to a board of 12 university presidents at the Dupont Circle Hotel. In less than three hours, the group agreed upon a postseason that college football fans have been clamoring for years.

The group of presidents also endorsed a rotation of the semifinal games among six bowl sites and rotation of the championship game among neutral sites. The championship game will be managed by the conferences and will not be branded as a bowl game. The group also announced the creation of a selection committee that will rank the teams to play in the playoff, "giving all the teams an equal opportunity to participate." The committee will consider win-loss record, strength of schedule, head-to-head results and whether a team is a conference champion.

"A four-team playoff doesn't go too far; it goes just the right amount," said Virginia Tech president Charles Sterger. "We are very pleased with this arrangement, even though some issues remain to be finalized."

Two main topics that need further discussion are how teams will be selected and how revenue will be distributed. The commissioners have agreed in principle as to how the revenue will be divided, according to Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany, but that has not been made public yet.

I'll bet that nobody is happy either!

trickskier
06-26-2012, 08:39 PM

You're never going to please everyone!

CruisinGA
06-26-2012, 10:22 PM
HTF is Notre Dame still relevant?

We don't even lose to them !

CantRepeat
06-27-2012, 09:02 AM

Yeah, there is still a small problem here and that is considering "whether a team is a conference champion".

Someone is always going to be belly aching about who should be one of those 4 teams and I think conference champions really shouldn't hold all that much water considering how heavily stacked the SEC is. Does anyone rally think Houston, Georgia or Louisiana Tech should be 1 of those 4?

When you have subjective voting someone is always gonna be butt-hurt about the results.

What are the possibilities that 3 out of the 4 could come from a single conference if they have the best teams? None! They wont let it happen because too many of the other schools will be *****ing and moaning like no tomorrow.

pmikler
06-27-2012, 09:34 AM
ESPN has switched the discussion to "someone is still going to be left out and blah blah blah" Ok... let take your argument and expand on it. If we had a 64 team play off someone is still going to moan about being left out. At the very least the percentage is now greater that the best team is going to be playing as one of the four and thus more fair. I like it.

CantRepeat
06-27-2012, 09:46 AM
ESPN has switched the discussion to "someone is still going to be left out and blah blah blah" Ok... let take your argument and expand on it. If we had a 64 team play off someone is still going to moan about being left out. At the very least the percentage is now greater that the best team is going to be playing as one of the four and thus more fair. I like it.

I would have been happier if they would have at least done 8 teams.

pmkkdx
06-27-2012, 09:52 AM

yep, 8 teams makes much more sense to me too. With the 4 team playoff, just wait until one of the powerhouses sits at #5 ... there will be a change!

stuartmcnair
06-27-2012, 10:49 AM
All this does is screw the fans. Who will be able to afford a second game? Say your team wins in New Orleans and gets to go to Indianapolis for the championship game, will you be able to go? After you paid for your family to attend the Sugar Bowl at $500 per ticket and about two grand for the rest of the trip can you then turn around and go to the championship at $1,000 per ticket and about four grand for the hotels, meals travel, etc.? Will you be able to take the time off from work to go? ESPN and SI made this controversy so they could profit from it. Most people are just too stupid to see what just happened.

tideengineer
06-27-2012, 11:06 AM
I will enjoy watching what happens when the SEC has 2 or 3 teams in the top five...all heck will break loose. Roll Tide, War Eagle, Geaux Tigers, and Go Gators...

DemolitionMan
06-27-2012, 12:02 PM
8 teams would have been better.

pmikler
06-27-2012, 04:53 PM

It is better than what we have though.... IMO

CantRepeat
06-27-2012, 05:29 PM
It is better than what we have though.... IMO

I kind of agree, but with it still being a semi subjective voting system it's still up in the air a bit. It gets even more muddled when you start going with the conference champ deal. Just because your a champ in your conference doesn't mean you are a top 4 team in the country. Hell, it does even mean you are a top 8 team.

mzimme
06-27-2012, 05:47 PM
The 4 teams should be the No. 1-4 nationally ranked teams. You won't have to complain about conference bias, and it will put more pressure on the rating system.

JimN
06-27-2012, 06:18 PM
Why the F does a presidential oversight committee need to be involved in college football?????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????

We have far more important things for them to deal with.

CantRepeat
06-27-2012, 07:00 PM
Why the F does a presidential oversight committee need to be involved in college football?????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????

We have far more important things for them to deal with.

What did I miss here? :rolleyes:

JimN
06-27-2012, 07:05 PM
What did I miss here? :rolleyes:

I see 'presidential oversight committee' combined with 'college football playoff' and I immediately think it's POTUS, not college presidents. Sorry for freaking out. Carry on, Montescue.

CantRepeat
06-27-2012, 07:32 PM
I see 'presidential oversight committee' combined with 'college football playoff' and I immediately think it's POTUS, not college presidents. Sorry for freaking out. Carry on, Montescue.

I wouldn't put it past him... :(