PDA

View Full Version : My wife learned to ski today:)

PendO
08-24-2005, 11:13 PM
Well, it took 5 or 6 tries with a new pair of 65" Jobe Hemi''s ... but she got up deep water today. Just my dad and our little ones in the boat, and the water was glass. Went on a 4-5 mile ride. Finally toward the end she crossed the wake ... she had no idea it would be so smooth;)

Thankfully whe did not get ran over as some jackass wanted to ride no more than 150 feet behind us (they were even with the 3rd wake) ... mind you, they were the only other boat operating on 10 miles of the river ... my wife thought at first we were motioning to her to go outside the wake, but I was trying to get this idiot to get out of our wake without scaring my wife so that she would fall down and get ran over.

Anyway, I am pretty stoked, she is excited to do it again, and wants to learn to wakeboard and wakesurf this weekend;) I will post a picture later (sorry guys, no swimsuit - I had her in a drysuit just in case it took a while)

Casey

shepherd
08-24-2005, 11:20 PM
A drysuit in August???
If I put one of those on down here, I'd have heat stroke before my feet hit the water! :eek:

Congrats Pend. Hope she keeps at it.

MarkP
08-24-2005, 11:21 PM
Well, it took 5 or 6 tries with a new pair of 65" Jobe Hemi''s ... but she got up deep water today. Just my dad and our little ones in the boat, and the water was glass. Went on a 4-5 mile ride. Finally toward the end she crossed the wake ... she had no idea it would be so smooth;)

Thankfully whe did not get ran over as some jackass wanted to ride no more than 150 feet behind us (they were even with the 3rd wake) ... mind you, they were the only other boat operating on 10 miles of the river ... my wife thought at first we were motioning to her to go outside the wake, but I was trying to get this idiot to get out of our wake without scaring my wife so that she would fall down and get ran over.

Anyway, I am pretty stoked, she is excited to do it again, and wants to learn to wakeboard and wakesurf this weekend;) I will post a picture later (sorry guys, no swimsuit - I had her in a drysuit just in case it took a while)

Casey
Ah, Ahem!!! The camera??

JK.. Congrats.. Did she like it?

You can tell how stoked I was… I was typing as I was reading the end of your post. Cant wait for the shots!!!

Leroy
08-24-2005, 11:21 PM
Congrats Casey! 4-5 miles :worthy: :worthy:

Everything is possible now!

PendO
08-24-2005, 11:52 PM
Congrats Casey! 4-5 miles :worthy: :worthy:

Everything is possible now!

She just kept haning on, we didn't teach her the "cut" signal ... oh well, she skipped her run today;)

PendO
08-25-2005, 12:05 AM
A drysuit in August???
If I put one of those on down here, I'd have heat stroke before my feet hit the water! :eek:

Congrats Pend. Hope she keeps at it.

Yeah, it was a bit over the top ... air temp was low 70's and water temp 69, I just didn't want her to get cold as the last time she took a crack at it it was 2002 and I tried to get her up using my slalom and my brothers slalom (different lenghts, different boot sizes - needless to say that was 2 babies ago so - and she swallowed a lot of water).

shepherd
08-25-2005, 08:31 AM
Yeah, it was a bit over the top ... air temp was low 70's and water temp 69, I just didn't want her to get cold as the last time she took a crack at it it was 2002 and I tried to get her up using my slalom and my brothers slalom (different lenghts, different boot sizes - needless to say that was 2 babies ago so - and she swallowed a lot of water).

Yeah, I can sympathize. My wife is a natural, got up on 2 skis the first time she ever tried and skied around the lake a bit. But after a few tries getting up on one, she got frustrated and won't try any more. Some of these beginners, you've just got to treat them gingerly. :cool:

RickDV
08-25-2005, 08:35 AM
Congrats! I can barely get my wife to drive the boat.

Did she make it outside the wake? I am guessing the XStar wake was too much to try her first time up. A new challenge for her next time.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
08-25-2005, 09:06 AM
well congrats to her!!! :toast: good job!!! better get that slalom ski ready to go next!!!

on the stupid idiot boater thing. That really *%*$#&# me off when you get a retard that does that. :noface: ESPECIALLY with a rookie skier behind the boat. Now, I admit that I am sometimes a bit "Hitler-esqe" in my thinking at times, but I think it should be legal to carry paint ball guns on our boats and feel free to shoot them at retards on the water. Please keep in mind, I dont want to hurt anyone, just wake them up and discourage them from boating like an idiot or being too close to me. :) Bounce a few paint balls off their hull and see if that gets their attention. Or if thats too extreme, maybe a banner you can hold up that the wind wont catch that says "Back off RETARD!!!!!" maybe that would help. So are there any laws against shooting paint ball guns from boats???? :confused:

88 PS190
08-25-2005, 04:27 PM
ha ha, screw paintball, a potato cannon is much more interesting and will do some real damage...

get their registration number and a picture of it occuring, preferably several pictures, then call up the local sherrif and report it, along w/ the photos atleast they'll get a fine for doing so.

ps. the sherriffs on our lake will definately stop boaters and pwc riders who get too near to skiers and sailboats.

NeilM
08-25-2005, 04:45 PM
Way to go [wife of] PendOrielle.:toast:

too bad about the moron following so close behind

.. hopefully, this will improve the quality and quantity your boating time.. I know it sure did for me.

PendO
08-30-2005, 11:08 PM
Congrats! I can barely get my wife to drive the boat.

Did she make it outside the wake? I am guessing the XStar wake was too much to try her first time up. A new challenge for her next time.

This was run #3 ... oh, and the X-star wake is huge, I skied it at 15 off for a few turns, then went to 80' ... at 35mp it is still a friggin' ramp, I saw disaster all over that and switched to the sky ski for a pull.

PendO
08-30-2005, 11:09 PM
This is run #4 ... she was so excited to know what "glass" feels like ... now she knows why we only ski when the water is good;)

PendO
08-30-2005, 11:38 PM
Thanks for all the support- I'm glad my husband kept on me about learning to ski- It's only been 3 summers! It is great to finally appreciate and understand his excitement around skiing. I Love it and am sad to be learing so late in the season. My brother-in-law will just have to keep lending me his drysuit! Heather

RickDV
08-30-2005, 11:40 PM
This is run #4 ... she was so excited to know what "glass" feels like ... now she knows why we only ski when the water is good;)

How fun. What a great time.

Crash
08-31-2005, 12:25 AM
You guys all talk about how great it is that your wife's ski...there is a down side to it...it eats into your skiing time!! Now my wife and kids take more sets than I do! They claim its because they need 'more practice' than I do...I think its BS!

MarkP
08-31-2005, 12:33 AM
Thanks for all the support- I'm glad my husband kept on me about learning to ski- It's only been 3 summers! It is great to finally appreciate and understand his excitement around skiing. I Love it and am sad to be learing so late in the season. My brother-in-law will just have to keep lending me his drysuit! Heather
Congrats Heather!!:headbang: !

Great shots PendO!

whitedog
08-31-2005, 12:38 AM
Keep it up Heather!! :)

My wife learned to salam last Sunday, (sorry no camera last weekend)

Crash: I agree it cuts into our ski time. :( But to see the excitement of my wife and the kids with every new accomplisment make it worth it.:dance: