PDA

View Full Version : Does my heat exchanger need to be replaced?

redwings0921
06-26-2012, 05:14 PM
So I put my boat in the water for the first time this season and noticed the engine was getting hot. I noticed I was losing lots of antifreeze, but I had no idea where it was going. Then, the heat exchanger overflow began filling with water. Do I need to replace the heat exchanger? Could this be the sign of an underlying problem? 99 Xstar with an indmar motor

Thanks

Philscbx
06-26-2012, 05:41 PM
This has a closed cooling system?

redwings0921
06-26-2012, 08:23 PM
This has a closed cooling system?

Correct. Not sure if it was stock. Engine was rebuilt by Indmar the year before i bought it. Looks like it uses an Orca heat exchanger. $1100 sound about right for a new one?

CruisinGA
06-26-2012, 09:24 PM
Some pictures would help!

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
06-26-2012, 10:09 PM
So I put my boat in the water for the first time this season and noticed the engine was getting hot. I noticed I was losing lots of antifreeze, but I had no idea where it was going. Then, the heat exchanger overflow began filling with water. Do I need to replace the heat exchanger? Could this be the sign of an underlying problem? 99 Xstar with an indmar motor

Thanks

you can remove heat exchanger and have a radiator shop pressure test it and if necessary repair it. it might have a split or a crack, perhaps a winterzation issue...