PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a sub, limited budget

Legolamb
06-26-2012, 02:55 PM
Install will be in a 96 Prostar 190, and I definetly use my storage space under the observers seat. Always a lot of stuff in there, so my question is does a subwoofer need to be in an enclosure to get a good thump? Can I just mount the woofer to the dividing board under the dash where the fire extinguisher is located, pointing toward the drivers feet? If this isn't going to yield good results, what about a 10" bazooka tube under the observers seat, all the way to the port side, firing rearward towards the open side storage area? I really don't want to loose storage with a box.

I did do a lot of searching to see other's installs before posting.

Thanks.

Dave

kal_dude
06-26-2012, 03:07 PM
i have the clarion 10" one from my 02 xstar i would sell you dirt cheap... it doesn't need an enclosure. worked great, just upgraded to a JL Audio 10" sub
kal
414-801-0297 cell

mlawler34
06-26-2012, 03:44 PM
You would be fine with an infinite baffle sub. I just put a JL infinite baffle and it hits really hard and clean. My clarion would have been fine except it had a large slit in it.

east tx skier
06-26-2012, 03:45 PM
I have a closed bow and tried the bazooka tube with pretty unsatisfying results. Went for an 8" Polk MM840 in a 0.38 CF Sealed enclosure and it rounds out the base nicely without sacrificing much space under the bow. I have it on the hump (not applicable to MC) in front of the driver's kickboard firing at the starboard hull about 1 foot away from the hull.

mzimme
06-26-2012, 03:51 PM
If you want some good thump for the money, without sacrificing too much space, go with a setup like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Alpine-SWE-1043-Type-E-4-ohm-subwoofer/dp/B0029Y3D9U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1340736520&sr=8-1&keywords=alpine+e10

http://www.amazon.com/MRP-M500-Alpine-Monoblock-Power-Amplifier/dp/B0013TQ6FK/ref=pd_bxgy_e_img_b

http://www.amazon.com/Scosche-SET10CC-10-Inch-Subwoofer-Enclosure/dp/B003E4769C/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1340736610&sr=1-3&keywords=10%22+truck+sub+box

The enclosure isn't ideal, as that sub needs a little more space, but it will still pound away with that setup. You can do all that for under $250. hard to beat really..

Rossterman
06-26-2012, 04:09 PM
Polk Audio stuff is great quality for a reasonable price. I installed the free air sub 1040UM which was very reasonalby (priced on ebay), is marine rated, and is built like it costs twice as much. I'm sure the JL stuff is nice and sounds great but was out of my price range.

carlsonwa
06-26-2012, 05:03 PM
I would recommend a sealed or ported enclosure. Free-air mounting works well if its under a seat where the compartment forms a box almost, and will sound nice in the driveway, but will be quiet with some waves/ wind. If you have the room, pick up a box online or local will make it easy and in-expensive. With my closed bow, space was limited so I made a custom enclosure for (2) Alpine marine 10s SWR-M100, powered by (1) PDX 1.600M.

http://i723.photobucket.com/albums/ww238/wayne_carlson/a2276269.jpg

76S&S
06-26-2012, 06:37 PM
Crutchfield has an online outlet that has some pretty good deals. I picked up a 12 for roughly half price.

Legolamb
06-26-2012, 10:15 PM
Thanks for all the ideas, gives me some more to think about. I assume though if I go with an enclosure and then pack jackets, skis, wakeboards and other crap on top, it will affect the sound quality, won't it? I also read some posts about not really getting good sound once the observers seat is down if the sub wasn't firing to an open space towards the rear of the boat.

carlsonwa
06-27-2012, 12:33 PM
Thanks for all the ideas, gives me some more to think about. I assume though if I go with an enclosure and then pack jackets, skis, wakeboards and other crap on top, it will affect the sound quality, won't it? I also read some posts about not really getting good sound once the observers seat is down if the sub wasn't firing to an open space towards the rear of the boat.

With the seat down it is a bit quieter, but loud enough already where it's ok.

Legolamb
06-27-2012, 04:38 PM
Thanks Carlsonwa, your enclosure looks really nice. Did you make it out of fiberglass and is it anchored down?

East tx skier, did you use a marine rated enclosure? Can I use a regular box, or do I need to get something other than wood? My boat does sit outside under cover during the season.

carlsonwa
06-28-2012, 01:23 PM
I made it out of MDF, fiberglass resin, bondo and painted, then clear coated.

It leans right into the V of the hull and the weight keeps it right in place. There is actually a pretty good angle on the enclosure. Doesn't move at all with a few life jackets placed around it.