PDA

View Full Version : Wake 2 Wake

mlawler34
06-26-2012, 01:26 PM
Looks like I found the reason I have yet to clear the wake yet. My sister took this picture the last weekend. Posture and position look solid going into and at the wake, but as you can see below I am obviously not timing the pop right to get that extra height and distance! I have been clearing about 2/3 of the wake regularly and this might be the final step.

Any tips to get the timing right and clear it?

snork
06-26-2012, 01:44 PM
your legs are bent allowing them to absorb the wake and you're looking down when you should be look'n across
Short'n your line, stand tall off the wake, look to the other side of the wake where you want to go, slight tug on handle keep'n your biceps near your vest so when you land at the opposite side you have something to give in your arms keeping you from fold'n at the waist. Also when you land at the other side you can slow down the board be let'n go of your back hand off the handle.
The only thing I do see correct in the pic is your arm to body position

mlawler34
06-26-2012, 01:49 PM
Thanks man. I think that was where I was going with the position looks correct as I keep the handle at waist level, and after I posted I was going to say that the rope could definitely be tighter to the body like you mentioned.

Appreciate the post. Glad my sister caught this picture, cause that was the first thing I noticed was how bent my knees were. Never really thought about where I was looking. Good point!

madcityskier
06-26-2012, 02:09 PM
X2 on don't look down. When you're getting to the bottom of the wake stand up like you're getting off the lawn chair to catch a poorly tossed beer that's going high.

LYNRDSKYNRD
06-26-2012, 02:20 PM
Yeah hips and butt should all be forward with your head up. Whats your speed and rope length?

Hrkdrivr
06-26-2012, 02:27 PM
X2 on don't look down. When you're getting to the bottom of the wake stand up like you're getting off the lawn chair to catch a poorly tossed beer that's going high.

So you stand up BEFORE riding up the side of the wake? That might explain a lot for me...

snork
06-26-2012, 03:13 PM
There's a ton more that go's into wakeboard'n but what was mentioned above is your basic fundamentals to wake crossing.
Be Proud, stand Tall, Look where you are Go'n, Unload all your Energy when riding up the wake, Relax in the air and Enjoy your landing, then carve out turn back into the wake and do it all over again and again and again :D :woohoo: :banana:

mlawler34
06-26-2012, 03:38 PM
Yeah hips and butt should all be forward with your head up. Whats your speed and rope length?

I am riding at 65 feet at 21.5 mph. I know its probably better to even come into 60 feet and maybe slow down a little but I am very comfortable with this combination. Once I really clean up my pop I know I will be able to clear it!

mlawler34
06-26-2012, 03:41 PM
Glad I posted in here. Definitely appreciate all the help!

This is my first season riding and have really progressed well so far and am looking to continue to get better. I have been working on that whole riding switch thing too! Its funny cause I can ride switch all day on a snowboard lol, but I cannot get comfortable switch on the wakeboard! But that takes time.

Again thanks for all your help. Looks like this might help out some other people too.

kgrove
06-26-2012, 04:20 PM
I love video and photography for learning in sports. Unless you're a world class athlete, you don't have great body awareness so you'll think you're doing something correct, then see yourself on video and realize your not close... Awesome tool, though I'm almost afraid to see myself. Sometimes ignorance is bliss.

mlawler34
06-26-2012, 04:34 PM
Haha I agree completely. The guys I ride with and I are looking to get something better than a camera phone to shoot some video. We all just want to get better

snork
06-26-2012, 04:40 PM
no need to get any shorter than 65' boat speed no less than 21 mph you're not a 10 y.o.
your length of the board in combination to body weight will determine boat speed other than to clean up the wake.
if you find that your board is riding deep in the water not on top you'll need to speed up,
you should be able to carve with the board on edge, it should be responsive, its not that different to slalom skiing.
I also noticed with the pic your starting off way to close to the wake, its ok when you're an advanced rider but not yet. Draw a imaginary line between you the pylon and the driver, basically the rope should line up with the boat driver then make an approach to the wake

mlawler34
06-26-2012, 04:51 PM
I also noticed with the pic your starting off way to close to the wake, its ok when you're an advanced rider but not yet. Draw a imaginary line between you the pylon and the driver, basically the rope should line up with the boat driver then make an approach to the wake

Never thought about that before, seems like a good visual to know how far out you are or need to be. Thanks

Nick911
07-04-2012, 11:03 PM
Check out learnwake.com as well. Some good instructional vids. I'm just getting into some tricks and hope to start some inverts this summer and have found some decent tips there.

onebadrubi
08-01-2012, 12:58 AM
You are absorbing the "pop" of the wake in your legs. I will do this from time to time and will have to have video to correct it. Stiffen up your posture some, doesn't necessarily mean you have to stand up more, but stiffen your lower body, and keep it "quiet" when approaching the wake. Also, think of it this way... Let the board ride the wake up. Do not try to jump the wake, just ride in with a good edge set and good tension in the rope... before you know it you will be clearing and landing in the flats.