PDA

View Full Version : Fishermen Putting Trot Lines Out

O2BESOHUGE
06-26-2012, 12:34 PM
Directly Where Folks Ski...it Pisses Me Off! Im Ready To Call The Water Patrol And See If We Can Get Them Moved? Are They Legal? Does Anyone Know?

Thanks!

psychobilly
06-26-2012, 01:06 PM
More than likely they are legal. Dangerous? Well that depends on how they are fishing their lines. We fish ours deep and can only be found by my plotter. They are anchored on both ends and nothing over 5 foot off bottom. I would nicely talk to them and find out if they are deep. If they're *****s, then just ski all around them while they are running the lines. I know I wouldn't stay there long. As a matter O fact, skiers cove is off limits for my lines. I have fished it in the winter time once but lets face it, it's a huge lake!!

Good luck

BriEOD
06-26-2012, 01:33 PM
Whether there are legal or not varies from state-to-state. I can't speak intelligently about the laws in Alabama (I just had a mental image of Joe Pesci in the movie My Cousin Vinny). In Maryland trot lines are very popular--and legal--for crabbing. There are restrictions on the length of the lines and marking the ends. Fortunately, I've never had any issues with crabbers fishing where we ride. I realize fishing and crabbing with a trot line is a little bit different, because for crabbing you want the line to rest on the bottom. Thus, it isn't as significant of a concern to ride over an area baited with a trot line.

Good luck.

gatorguy
06-26-2012, 01:38 PM
They are all over the lake near my house. Not many people ski there ever because it is the "fishing Lake" Because of that though, Smooth water can be found almost anytime of day 365 days a year when the wind is not blowing. Unfortunatly I live in Oklahoma, where the wind comes whipping down the planes!

thatsmrmastercraft
06-26-2012, 01:41 PM
Whether there are legal or not varies from state-to-state. I can't speak intelligently about the laws in Alabama (I just had a mental image of Joe Pesci in the movie My Cousin Vinny). In Maryland trot lines are very popular--and legal--for crabbing. There are restrictions on the length of the lines and marking the ends. Fortunately, I've never had any issues with crabbers fishing where we ride. I realize fishing and crabbing with a trot line is a little bit different, because for crabbing you want the line to rest on the bottom. Thus, it isn't as significant of a concern to ride over an area baited with a trot line.

Good luck.

Great movie. What's a "ute"?

kal_dude
06-26-2012, 01:48 PM
2 what???

Philscbx
06-26-2012, 01:54 PM
Great movie. What's a "ute"?Apparently in the movie Ute - refers to anyone who isn't married, whether they are 18 years old or 58.
Also-
It's the common driven truck in Australia - usually small cab with aluminum flat bed. From recent time there.

thatsmrmastercraft
06-26-2012, 01:56 PM
It's the common driven truck in Australia - usually small cab with aluminum flat bed, if that's what you're referring to.
I spend some time there.

:purplaugh:purplaugh:purplaugh

LittleFuss
06-26-2012, 05:13 PM
we only hang ours between trees where no sane ski boat driver would go.

O2BESOHUGE
06-27-2012, 12:49 PM
Im Going To Try Taking A Photo Of This Stuff On Our Lake...looks Like A Slalom Course But With Fish Hooks On It Right Through The Main Parts Of The Lake

02ProstarSammyD
06-27-2012, 02:08 PM
I love me some crab pots too