PDA

View Full Version : You know you have a bad day when.......

mzimme
06-26-2012, 11:26 AM
Thought this would be fun to share stories of unfortunate events. Not to be confused with the ramp follies thread, but more just random things that probably ruined your, or someone elses day.

Last weekend I pulled up to the marina to fill my tank up before heading out for the day, and there was probably a 45-50ft Regal cruiser gassing up as well. When I went in to pay and tip the girl that helped me out, she gratefully said thanks for the tip, then explained how before I got there she spent 35 minutes pumping 400 gallons into that regals tank, and come the $1500 dollar gas tab the guy tipped her nothing.

That's rough...

cpr05xtr
06-26-2012, 11:34 AM
we were sitting at my patio on the lake last sat night and my brother took his girlfriend out in his fishing boat. This was her first time fishing. She caught a fish and when my brother got the fish in the boat it started flopping and caught the hook in the other end of the lure in his forearm so she was freaking out and all the sudden we noticed he was sitting dead in the water so we whipped out the bino's and it just looked like he was pulling in the fish. Then all of the sudden the boat whips into gear and he flys straight through the slalom course which is "Against club rules" because we have a traffic pattern and he pulls into his dock faster and with more precision than anything i have ever seen. Before we knew it he was walking down the dock holding a fish against his arm with a barbed hook in his forearm. 10 min later and after cutting off the hook with a pair of side cutters the decision was made to run into the er because he was bleeding so bad we could not get a firm enough grip on the hook to push it the rest of the way through. This was at about 7:45 pm. He arrived back to the lake at 12:45. What a night. At least the ER Doc let him keep the forceps just incase it ever happened again.

mzimme
06-26-2012, 11:46 AM
Yep, that'll ruin your day.

milkmania
06-26-2012, 04:59 PM
Yep, that'll ruin your day.

wait till he see the bill for those forceps:rolleyes:
that'll ruin his year.

AFX-15
06-26-2012, 09:48 PM
A friend of mine who is a log home builder posted this on facebook the other day... dont know any details other than he was seriously f-ed for a few hours.

SilviaMan
06-27-2012, 08:09 AM
A friend of mine who is a log home builder posted this on facebook the other day... dont know any details other than he was seriously f-ed for a few hours.

That sucks... Over or under torqued ... can ruin your day for sure!

cpr05xtr
06-27-2012, 11:29 AM
wait till he see the bill for those forceps:rolleyes:
that'll ruin his year.

ya for sure

DJ 50
06-29-2012, 05:32 AM
Thought this would be fun to share stories of unfortunate events. Not to be confused with the ramp follies thread, but more just random things that probably ruined your, or someone elses day.

Last weekend I pulled up to the marina to fill my tank up before heading out for the day, and there was probably a 45-50ft Regal cruiser gassing up as well. When I went in to pay and tip the girl that helped me out, she gratefully said thanks for the tip, then explained how before I got there she spent 35 minutes pumping 400 gallons into that regals tank, and come the $1500 dollar gas tab the guy tipped her nothing.

That's rough...

Ok now I feel like a huge a$$. I don't think I have ever tipped the gas dock people. I don't have any idea why that thought has never crossed my mind. I can't think of every seeing anyone else do it either. Do people normally tip them? Really I'm not cheap I just never thought to do it for some strange reason.

MattsCraft
06-29-2012, 07:59 AM
I don't gas up at Marina's often, but when I do I always tip at least $5 if they pump my gas, they are usually young kids working in the hot sun all day. Some of the Marina's don't have attendents and you pump yourself, in this case no tip.

shepherd
06-29-2012, 12:24 PM
they are usually young kids working in the hot sun all day.

I'm sitting at a desk in an over-air-conditioned office 9 hours/day. Those kids aren't getting any sympathy from me. That said, I wouldn't have a problem tipping them because they're probably only making minimum wage.

cpr05xtr
06-29-2012, 04:18 PM
i dont let the kids pump for me luckly my club has a private pump for members only the only time i ever have used the marina kids are when at another lake or if our caretakers forget to get our tank filled first of the season. Last time i was at another lake the kid pumped a gallon of gas on the interior of my boat

mzimme
06-29-2012, 04:24 PM
i dont let the kids pump for me luckly my club has a private pump for members only the only time i ever have used the marina kids are when at another lake or if our caretakers forget to get our tank filled first of the season. Last time i was at another lake the kid pumped a gallon of gas on the interior of my boat

I guess that's when you know you're having a bad day, huh? 8p

Double D
06-29-2012, 04:53 PM
When your stuck in 100 degree temp in Cincinnati watching and scoring your sons baseball team, and NOT boating!

milkmania
06-29-2012, 05:08 PM
When your stuck in 100 degree temp in Cincinnati watching and scoring your sons baseball team, and NOT boating!

but, are they winning?
that's the important part8p

milkmania
06-29-2012, 05:11 PM

you mean the Maid or Butler were having a bad day?:confused:

:uglyhamme

Double D
06-29-2012, 06:53 PM
but, are they winning?
that's the important part8p

No, not winning this time. That makes it worse. And now that storm went through and the power is out at the hotel for a few hours now.

Sent from Never Neverland using my iPhone 4 on Tapatalk

ahhudgins
06-29-2012, 07:43 PM
Didn’t ruin my day, just pissed me off at the end of a nice weekend and added one more reason why I hate cell phones.

I helped an elderly couple load their pontoon boat up on their trailer and as soon as they pulled up the ramp, the guy in front of me backed his bass boat trailer into the water. I waited around at the marina because I was next in line to pull out. After about 15 minutes the guy with the trailer in the water was nowhere to be found. I eventually went inside the marina and asked the manager where the guy had gone? “The guy” was standing inside the marina and he replied “He’s on his way”. Confused, I asked him “Who is on the way?” The idiot had put his trailer in the water and then called his son on his cell phone to let him know it was time to take out!!!!! After about another 15 minutes his dorky son came idling up the cove wearing one of those orange PFDs. When the father came out to his truck and walked past me, I just said “Really?” I wanted to stab him in the throat with a potato peeler. :mad:

orbeamlb
06-30-2012, 12:03 AM

Had a similar experience with one of my wheels during the spring. Luckily the wheel came off 1/2 mile from home going 25mph in the neighborhood rather than the 70mph five minutes earlier.

Had to limp it the rest of the way home with two studs at 10mph. (Ruined a tire with maybe 200 miles on it and damaged the fender)

DJ 50
06-30-2012, 06:44 AM
You're having a bad day when you are working security for an empty office building over night. You get on the elevator to go check another floor and the elevator breaks down with you on it. You remember you left your phone on the desk in the lobby so you hit the help button in the elevator. You then suddenly hear your phone at the desk in the lobby ringing and you quickly figure out the help button calls your desk......fyi elevator floors are not confortable to take naps on

Oneday
07-01-2012, 01:39 AM
when you live in nor ca, and ur spending ur summer working in louisiana with no boat!!!!!!!!

occva
07-01-2012, 06:27 PM
Wn the boat and cooler is loaded friday night ready for the course Saturday morning and a tree falls on your house at 10pm. Hit home depot first thing for a fresh chainsaw blade and tarp. Cover the roof and get the tree off the driveway. Finally get to the course and try to ski in between the rollers sent down the course from two mastercraft x14's that just had to get that extra 150' run to the end of the channel.

Ps. If you were the blue or yellow x14 at the end of bull run creek by the course, Thanks. :mad::mad:

ahhudgins
07-01-2012, 09:19 PM
Wn the boat and cooler is loaded friday night ready for the course Saturday morning and a tree falls on your house at 10pm. Hit home depot first thing for a fresh chainsaw blade and tarp. Cover the roof and get the tree off the driveway. Finally get to the course and try to ski in between the rollers sent down the course from two mastercraft x14's that just had to get that extra 150' run to the end of the channel.

Ps. If you were the blue or yellow x14 at the end of bull run creek by the course, Thanks. :mad::mad:

We headed to the lake Friday night and got in the middle of the east coast storm. It took 2 hours for a usual 40 minute drive. Pulled one tree out of the road with my truck and helped some guys cut up another huge oak across the road. No power at the lake house so we came back home Saturday morning and luckily no damage to either house. We finally found a generator so we have the frig and a window AC unit going. We are told that we may not have power until next weekend. We may not be able to get enough gas to keep the generator going that long.:(

Double D
07-01-2012, 09:30 PM
You go to Portage Lakes to watch the fireworks from your boat for the first time since you own such boat (12 years), and Mother Nature decides to screw it up!!!! Thanks Batch!!!

Second and third pictures where of a tree that fell over from the wind 40 feet from my ride!!

occva
07-01-2012, 11:29 PM
We headed to the lake Friday night and got in the middle of the east coast storm. It took 2 hours for a usual 40 minute drive. Pulled one tree out of the road with my truck and helped some guys cut up another huge oak across the road. No power at the lake house so we came back home Saturday morning and luckily no damage to either house. We finally found a generator so we have the frig and a window AC unit going. We are told that we may not have power until next weekend. We may not be able to get enough gas to keep the generator going that long.:(

We were told no power til the 7th. Emptied freezer and staying with family locally with power. Good luck finding gas. Stations around me that had power were out of gas. Forget finding ice.

milkmania
07-01-2012, 11:51 PM
*snip*We finally found a generator so we have the frig and a window AC unit going. We are told that we may not have power until next weekend. We may not be able to get enough gas to keep the generator going that long.:(

my coleman 5000 runs a little less than 5 gallons in 8 hours... (5 gallon tank)
once had an equipment mechanic tell me that machinery fuel tanks are sized for an 8 hour work period http://deephousepage.com/smilies/nixweiss.gif

ahhudgins
07-02-2012, 05:51 PM
my coleman 5000 runs a little less than 5 gallons in 8 hours... (5 gallon tank)
once had an equipment mechanic tell me that machinery fuel tanks are sized for an 8 hour work period http://deephousepage.com/smilies/nixweiss.gif

That's about what I'm getting. 8 hours = 5 gallons.

Once we got the generator we drove back to the lake to get a window AC unit (thank goodness I kept a back up in case the heat pump goes out) and got all of the food out of the refrigerator so we could bring it back home. Got everything hooked up and found out the next morning that the compressor is shot in our 5 year old frige. Heading to Lowes for a new frige and dumpster to throw out about $400 worth of mushy food.

Not a bad weekend. $850 for a generator, $400 of wasted food, $900 +(?) for new frige, 95+ temps all week, and who knows when we will get power back.

occva
07-02-2012, 08:10 PM
That's about what I'm getting. 8 hours = 5 gallons.

Once we got the generator we drove back to the lake to get a window AC unit (thank goodness I kept a back up in case the heat pump goes out) and got all of the food out of the refrigerator so we could bring it back home. Got everything hooked up and found out the next morning that the compressor is shot in our 5 year old frige. Heading to Lowes for a new frige and dumpster to throw out about $400 worth of mushy food.

Not a bad weekend. $850 for a generator, $400 of wasted food, $900 +(?) for new frige, 95+ temps all week, and who knows when we will get power back.

Think of all the gas money you saved in the boat...;)

onewheat
07-09-2012, 03:02 AM
I'm sitting at a desk in an over-air-conditioned office 9 hours/day. Those kids aren't getting any sympathy from me. That said, I wouldn't have a problem tipping them because they're probably only making minimum wage.

My 17 year-old started working as a dock hand this summer - they get LOWER than minimum wage. He now tells me what tip is appropriate every time I pull in a dock. If they catch me, tie me up and don't let me bump the dock $2 - $3 is appropriate. That being said, he will also catch, tie up, pump gas, get ice and fill a tube and then get $0 from some people too.

gotta_ski
07-09-2012, 03:22 AM
I worked on a gas dock for two summers. The guys that tipped me when I saw them got special treatment. Doing a quick vac on their boat, giving them free ice, parking it for them so they could go eat lunch, checking the fluids over for them, whatever. The cheap bastards that never gave me a dime pumping gas or helping them launch? They would be waiting a long time, and I never ran to catch them. Everyone got several opportunities, but once I start to recognize you and never a tip, you blew your chance.
Doesn't take much, 3-5 bucks. If you're spending $100 to $150 bucks to fill your rather expensive boat, you can probably spare a few dollars for the kid working minimum wage. Especially when I'm putting myself at risk catching your 75k Cobalt and you can't seem to slow down enough to not take a chunk out of the bow and the dock. Don't get me started.

The guys that tipped also got shaded parking, I swap a prop for them in the water, dinner reservations anywhere on the lake, and I'd bring some of them parts from town on my way to work to keep their vacation rolling. All for a $3 or $5 tip when they gassed up. A pretty good deal if you ask me.

tideengineer
07-09-2012, 08:42 AM
...when you tear a lower abdominal muscle on the first set over glass water Sunday morning....out now for a few weeks...

Double D
07-09-2012, 10:13 AM
you spend 4 hours on a lake in a beautiful 40th Anniversary PS197 watching great barefooters and wakeboarders, and some eye candy, but you can't join in the water fun because you screwed up your back the day before unhooking your trailer.... :(