PDA

View Full Version : rtp vs mcx

rodltg2
08-24-2005, 10:27 PM
so ive started looking at some new boats at the dealer since i sold the stars and stripes :( i didnt want to really sell it but it was the first to go. anyway they have a beaatiful 05 x-7 but it has the rtp motor. is that way under powered. going form the lq9 to that has got to be a big difference.

6ballsisall
08-24-2005, 10:28 PM
so ive started looking at some new boats at the dealer since i sold the stars and stripes :( i didnt want to really sell it but it was the first to go. anyway they have a beaatiful 05 x-7 but it has the rtp motor. is that way under powered. going form the lq9 to that has got to be a big difference.

Im so sad to hear the 93 is gone, that thing was a beauty! Mag has the rtp in his 209, Mag what you got to say?

Workin' 4 Toys
08-24-2005, 10:32 PM
I have not been in one with the rtp. But to compare mine to a few year older boat with a 330hp Corvette engine. Its not a huge difference until you get 3 skiers in the water. Not the exact boats either. His is a 205. I honestly think you may not be happy with the rtp coming from the lq9. IMO.

Mag_Red
08-24-2005, 10:33 PM
As many know here, I ordered the MCX, but due to some saleman's screw up, ended up with the 310 HP predator. In all seriousness, I don't think I'd notice the difference in the 40 HP. As big of a pig the 209 is, as compared to the 197, the 310 has more than enough umph! Comes out if the hole quickly, tops out at 45 MPH, and runs all week-end on a tank of gas :woohoo: Very fuel efficient. :headbang:

6ballsisall
08-24-2005, 10:42 PM
As many know here, I ordered the MCX, but due to some saleman's screw up, ended up with the 310 HP predator. In all seriousness, I don't think I'd notice the difference in the 40 HP. As big of a pig the 209 is, as compared to the 197, the 310 has more than enough umph! Comes out if the hole quickly, tops out at 45 MPH, and runs all week-end on a tank of gas :woohoo: Very fuel efficient. :headbang:

So Mag if it doesn't use gas you wont mind if I siphon your tank while we are at Bob a Palooza right?? :D

Mag_Red
08-24-2005, 10:46 PM
So Mag if it doesn't use gas you wont mind if I siphon your tank while we are at Bob a Palooza right?? :D :rant: You better not be dipping your hose in my tank! :eek:

6ballsisall
08-24-2005, 10:47 PM
:rant: You better not be dipping your hose in my tank! :eek:

ROTLMAO :purplaugh

rodltg2
08-24-2005, 10:50 PM
Im so sad to hear the 93 is gone, that thing was a beauty! Mag has the rtp in his 209, Mag what you got to say?

im sad to sell it, the new owner is driving 12 hours to pick it up . he will be here in 3 hours. i almost want to tell him nevermind. i hate to see it go and i know i will regret it. i had to sell one and that was the first to go. im not cleaning it , maybe he'll change his mind.

sand2snow22
08-25-2005, 12:06 AM
I agree, doubt you'll notice much unless you're loaded and trying to get a big skier out of the water. I even notice with the MCX. Resale MCX probably better right now, unless gas prices keep climbing, then who knows, maybe a better demand for the RTP. You'll like not going to the well as much.. :)

rodltg2
08-25-2005, 12:07 AM
the lq9 is way to thirsty, i must have spent 300 this last trip

Ric
08-25-2005, 12:26 AM
I've skiid that motor and I think it has plenty of power
it actually has quite a bit of throttle response and "pop" at the drop of the throttle, (more than my LTR330 I had at the time I compared them)

PendO
08-25-2005, 12:42 AM

Neighbor on the river has an 02 PS 190 with the 310HP, I'm 6'3" 220+/- ... and can't pull the boat around in the corners, and feel it has plenty ... still, we orderd the MCX with powerslot ... honestly though, if the 310 starts every time I bet you would love it;)

Compared to the 98 190 Sammy we had the Corvette/powerslot ... I think the 02 310 pulls harder out of the hole, but I have never driven the 02, just skied it, and maybe it was just a difference in prop size. The 02 is 1:1. (In truth, I'm not sure if the 02 310 HP is the same as the 06' 310 HP engine? -)edit

sizzler
08-25-2005, 02:34 AM
RTP V MCX???????......... i'd go with the MCX over the Rear Toe Plate any day Rod.........the 350 ponies beat the one weak foot anyday :D

sorry couldnt resist

gregg
08-25-2005, 09:48 AM

Rod: I have the 310 in my 2002 Maristar 210 and even fully loaded has always done everything I asked it to. ( Even pull my fat *** up with double boots). Has great low end torque and tops about 45. Use the 14x20 OJ. Tried the 14x18 and the holeshot is amazing, but it hits the rev limiter abound 40mph. Also can ski and board pretty heavy both days of the weekend on one tank of fuel. Hope this helps!!

VTJC
08-25-2005, 10:25 AM
I am not sure RTP(310HP) is comparable in a 197 with Predator(310HP) in other hulls. I have a 99 SportStar(95-97 prostar hull) with a Predator and 4 blade CNC OJ, this has awesome power and pull out. I frequently ski behind a 05 197 with RTP, the pulls are weak, but adequate for our long setups on a lake. Another guy who has a LT1 in an older hull asked for a harder pull out after skiing behind 05, but 05 is full throttle for pull outs. When I upgrade to a newer hull I am getting a larger motor, unless this particular 05 is slow.

RobertT
08-25-2005, 10:39 AM
Don't forget, if you order one with the MCX you will get the "free" perfect pass type speed control. Not needing PP pays for the upgrade.

My neighbor has the 310 in his 197, with the powerslot. Its just as fast out of the hole without a big load.

His top end is about 7mph slower than mine, but unless you barefoot whats the difference???

The only time we notice a huge difference is when you load the boat down with 7+ people and pull tube or something....then the MCX has a noticable difference.

If it were me, I would get the MCX if you could get it immediately, but if you are going to be out of a boat for an extended period of time...forget it.

There is a few 05 X7s on ebay too.

What color X7?

Diesel
08-25-2005, 10:53 AM
I have zero experience with the RTP but I love my MCX. It acually pulls quite a bit harder out of the hole than my 95 with the LT1 and the 209 is a much larger boat. It does run out of steam at WOT and I only get about 42-43 mph out of it. You might ask enginenut but I think the torque curves are very similar between the two engines yet have different HP curves. They will both pull well out of the hole but the extra horses of the MCX will keep you accelerating at the higher rpms vs the RTP. Torque and HP curves would help us make a better comparison.................

rodltg2
08-25-2005, 11:52 AM

What color X7?

i think i will stick with the mcx, i do barefoot. the thing is they have an 06 x-7 but the new graphics are boring to me. i want to see if they will pull them off and just put mc decals on it.

Ric
08-25-2005, 12:02 PM
I have zero experience with the RTP but I love my MCX. It acually pulls quite a bit harder out of the hole than my 95 with the LT1 and the 209 is a much larger boat. It does run out of steam at WOT and I only get about 42-43 mph out of it. You might ask enginenut but I think the torque curves are very similar between the two engines yet have different HP curves. They will both pull well out of the hole but the extra horses of the MCX will keep you accelerating at the higher rpms vs the RTP. Torque and HP curves would help us make a better comparison.................
not that it matters but the MCX is also a fine looking piece of machinery!

Ric
08-25-2005, 12:03 PM
i think i will stick with the mcx, i do barefoot. the thing is they have an 06 x-7 but the new graphics are boring to me. i want to see if they will pull them off and just put mc decals on it.
what color is the 06?

Granite_33
08-25-2005, 12:06 PM
You might ask enginenut but I think the torque curves are very similar between the two engines yet have different HP curves. They will both pull well out of the hole but the extra horses of the MCX will keep you accelerating at the higher rpms vs the RTP. Torque and HP curves would help us make a better comparison.................

The answer I got from the dealer was that exactly.......low end torque is very important.....and both motors compare at that level. Published HP levels IMO can be high, but not at levels where we would normally operate an MC.

dos pesos

rodltg2
08-25-2005, 12:17 PM
what color is the 06?

its the reverse black and white with the black blok letters x-7. if i can have them chasnge out the graphics it could look like this

peason
08-25-2005, 12:20 PM
Very nice - I really like the look of that boat.

Ric
08-25-2005, 12:28 PM
its the reverse black and white with the black blok letters x-7. if i can have them chasnge out the graphics it could look like this
I like it I like it.
will all 06 197/X7 have black windshield frames or just TT boats? I dont like black windshield frames for practicality.

RobertT
08-25-2005, 01:14 PM
If I could trade my X7 in, it would be for that boat exactly.

GET THE 06 IF THEY HAVE IT IN STOCK!!!

The decals are irrelevant. Not only can you buy any decals you want from Mastercraft, you can also have them made at any local sign shop.

Get the MCX, period. The new boat will have much higher resale, the best motor out there, dang man just do it.

If you don't like it, let me know, I might just buy it from you.

Rockman
08-25-2005, 01:25 PM
the lq9 is way to thirsty, i must have spent 300 this last trip

Not trying to threadjack or anything, but does anyone have a 209 or 197 with the 8.1 liter?

I'd be interested to see how much gas that burns compared to the LQ9 or standard 350 engines.

If I ordered a new boat, I would like to get a 197 but with the big 8.1 liter. I just haven't seen any besides the original one MasterCraft had in the tournaments a few years back. Skip let us check out the boat from top to bottom.

Is this setup with a lighter boat and bigger engine just NOT the best way to go? If so, why? :confused:

PendO
08-25-2005, 01:58 PM
Rockman, I think Jim @ Baws spoke of the monster you are mentioning in a different thread on octane ratings ... I suppose for footin' you might want the L18 to have the coolest boat on the water, and pulling stumps out of the bedrock, but I'm not to sure the slalom guys would like the added weight, if there is any? (anyone know the weight difference between MCX and L18?)

Not trying to threadjack or anything, but does anyone have a 209 or 197 with the 8.1 liter?

I'd be interested to see how much gas that burns compared to the LQ9 or standard 350 engines.

If I ordered a new boat, I would like to get a 197 but with the big 8.1 liter. I just haven't seen any besides the original one MasterCraft had in the tournaments a few years back. Skip let us check out the boat from top to bottom.

Is this setup with a lighter boat and bigger engine just NOT the best way to go? If so, why? :confused:

This seems to be an ongoing discussion that never seems to end.
87 is all you need in the good old FORD 351. A tank of 93 every now and then does'nt hurt especially if it is AMOCO or BP WHITE gas. Additives like TECHRON in the Chevron product seems to help. With the price of
gas so damn high why put in the expensive stuff. None of us are running
4 cylinders in our boats. The LQ-9 has a reccomendation for min of 89
but will self adjust to 87. as does the 8.1. We just SOLD a CUSTOM 2006 Prostar 190 with a L-18 in it Mini tower, all red white and blue Special Graphics. AWESOME I will try and post some pictures of this animal.

Additives have had a topic of conversation in the past. I started a thread months ago on a product call K-100. The stuff is AWESOME. Nothing but
postive feedback from customers. Fuel gauges working again. Better performance. The others like STABIL and SEAFOAM can't touch this product.

Jim@BAWS: