PDA

View Full Version : Wakeboard speed and rope length

goebelt
06-26-2012, 01:39 AM
How fast and how long of rope should I use. I am not very good but wanna learn the best I can do is a wake to wake 180. I don't know how I will ever do a flip
Thanks

kgrove
06-26-2012, 02:34 AM
Difficult question... depends on your riding skill, plus boat speed and rope length need to be matched with your wake. There is no right answer. My suggestion is take a video of yourself to give some of the riders here an idea of your board control. There are good riders he who tend to give very sound advice.

501s
06-26-2012, 04:15 AM
21.5MPH and 65 feet is a good starting point.

tdjaster
06-26-2012, 10:01 AM
This is an awesome learning video for your first invert.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgNhCwKLf48

I ride at 22 mph and 70 feet.

sp00ky
06-26-2012, 10:03 AM
How fast and how long of rope should I use. I am not very good but wanna learn the best I can do is a wake to wake 180. I don't know how I will ever do a flip
Thanks

It's gonna depend on the boat and where the sweet spot is for the wake. If you are just learning wake to wake bring it in a couple of sections to get the wakes closer together. But when you start landing in the flats let the rope out.

barry1me
07-11-2012, 11:12 PM
This is an awesome learning video for your first invert.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgNhCwKLf48

I ride at 22 mph and 70 feet.

good advice.

Fab
07-13-2012, 02:43 PM
Those videos drive me crazy that dude looks so relax on the board and seems to pop a mile high without effort !!

Why do I **** on my pants trying to do a simple wake to wake jump ?! :D

Good advice for sure !!

kskonn
07-13-2012, 08:34 PM
Those videos drive me crazy that dude looks so relax on the board and seems to pop a mile high without effort !!

Why do I **** on my pants trying to do a simple wake to wake jump ?! :D

Good advice for sure !!

thousands of hours on the water can do a lot for looking relaxed on a board!!

AZX9
07-14-2012, 03:06 AM
How about for an X9 with the wide wake. What's a good length?

kgrove
07-14-2012, 04:04 AM
Depends on how you weight the boat and how fast you're riding.

Here's the trick I was taught to nail your rope length: Weight the boat how you want to ride and pick your desired speed, then drive with the rope dragging behind you (no rider). Whatever length rope puts the handle just in front of where the wake starts to wash out is the longest length you should use. The faster you go, the longer your rope can be. The more weight (including people) you put in your boat, the shorter your rope needs to be. Each hull is different, and you can always go shorter if you want to narrow the gap between the wakes.

mdskier
07-14-2012, 10:39 AM
I have teenagers trying to learn to do an invert. Great video tdjaster, thanks.

I think we have the speed and rope length down but am wondering about weighting the boat. I have a '99 Maristar. Will it help to use Fat Sacks? Are they needed for beginners? Just not sure if the boat on it's own makes a good enough wake.

ccrydr
07-26-2012, 10:31 AM
AZX9 - I have similar questions
Im behind a 2003 x9....i have got 650lbs ballast in the back....factory installed ballast in teh locker (not sure the weight). May or may not have people in teh boat. I have been riding only for a couple years and cant get across Wake to wake.. I am currently at 19mph at about 50'. Thats the shortest my rope will go....the issue i think i have is im 245lbs (at 6'5") So am i right in thinking if im at 50ft i should increase my speed a bit to 20-21 and it will help...im close, im consistently landing on top of the wake but can seem to get across.

LYNRDSKYNRD
07-26-2012, 10:49 AM
crydr i'd skip to 22mph with your build also watch some good videos to make sure your technique is solid.

tdjaster
07-26-2012, 11:05 AM
AZX9 - I have similar questions
Im behind a 2003 x9....i have got 650lbs ballast in the back....factory installed ballast in teh locker (not sure the weight). May or may not have people in teh boat. I have been riding only for a couple years and cant get across Wake to wake.. I am currently at 19mph at about 50'. Thats the shortest my rope will go....the issue i think i have is im 245lbs (at 6'5") So am i right in thinking if im at 50ft i should increase my speed a bit to 20-21 and it will help...im close, im consistently landing on top of the wake but can seem to get across.

Size, speed, ballast, rope length mean nothing without correct technique. Wake jumps are all about digging in to create line tension.

Quinten
07-26-2012, 12:55 PM
My rope is 70 ft at 33 km/h or 20.5 mp/h, with a 2012 X2 stock ballast full, pilot and co pilot in the boat.

ccrydr
08-14-2012, 12:22 PM
So i made it across the wake this weekend behind my X9....55 ft, going 22mph, 650 ballast (replaced factory with this), center locker full and a couple of folks along with the driver. Thanks for the tips on the speed and a bit more aggressive edge.