PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a new towing vehicle

Hogwild
06-25-2012, 09:34 PM
Hey, guys. I'm thinking of maybe purchasing a new towing vehicle for my Maristar 230. Right now I have a 2004 4runner with 235 hp V8 and 320 lb-ft of torque at 3400 rpm. It's getting close to 90K miles and never had an issue, but it's going to need a new set of tires soon and the 90K mile service is going to run about $1K. Thus, I'm thinking of trading it in and possibly getting something that offers better towing capability.

I know there is a "show your rig" thread but I was really hoping to get honest, open opinions on all of you who drive and tow with possible replacement vehicles (Ford F150, Toyota Tundra, Chevy Tahoe or Silverado)? Also, how well has your vehicle held up for you or what have you had to do to it over the life of the vehicle? I have read review sites, but wanted to hear from real owners with 1st hand experience.

I feel blessed that the 4runner has never given me any issues except for routine maintenance and I hate to see her go but I'm just not sure it's the right vehicle to keep towing my boat with.

Thanks and I'll hang up and listen.

Jerseydave
06-25-2012, 09:54 PM
For pickups, it's hard to beat the new F-150 with the Eco-boost engine. I don't own one myself, but 2 of my friends have them (one guy is a Ford master tech) and they love the way they drive and tow. Torque that rivals the diesels, 18-19 mpg back and forth to work and even better highway mpg.

Late 2013 (2014 models) GM is changing the pickups and suburbans, plus word is the new engine will have close to 400 hp. I'm waiting.

Also, late 2013 (2014 model) the Ford Expedition is scheduled for a facelift, with the possibility of the Eco-boost engine available in it too. I'm waiting.

If you're shopping used, it's hard to beat the '07-current Tahoe/Suburban/ 1/2 ton GM trucks. I have an '07 Suburban 5.3 liter and it's a good driver. Gets 17-18 mpg highway solo, 13.5 mpg towing my prostar on the highway, but only 10 mpg towing the X-star. Not a ton of power but it gets the job done....for now :D

onebadrubi
06-25-2012, 11:43 PM
Vehicles I have used to tow my maristar 215.

07 dodge mega cab 5.9 cummins
08 silverado z71 5.3l 4 spd transmission
2010 dodge hemi half ton (new body style)
2011 GMC sierra 4x4 6.2l 6 spd.

Diesel obviously had the best capability towing. The worse was hte silverado with the 5.3 and 4 spd. The best truck I have towed with yet was the dodge half ton, of the gas engines. It was a great truck fit and finish, extremely smooth riding, and great mileage. Pulled the boat great! 18 or so 50/50 hwy and city driving. around 10-11 towing.

My current rig is the 6.2l sierra and it tows it fine. Just don't like it as much as I did the dodge half ton. The dodge's ride was much better, gas mileage was better empty and towing, and truck was a little better fit and finsih. Yes, I was as shocked as anyone else to see dodge finally getting it together with the fit and finish.

I have a keen interest on the eco boost motor fords. I was trying to get one hard when I bought my sierra, but they were just coming out and not willing to negotiate. I will possibly be enertaining getting one next year. The reviews of MPG are iffy right now. Some guys are swearing by 22 and some swear they cant get better than 15. I have honest and trust worthy friends that know vehicles that are both sides of the spectrum. If someone could guarantee me 20 out of truck on the hwy with that power I'd own one tomorrow.

Hogwild, your screen name anything to do with the razorbacks? If so where do you live? I am from Arkansas and graduated from the U of A.

BMcD
06-26-2012, 02:37 AM
Onebadrubi,

I'm a GM guy through and through. My tow rigs (for my X-45) have gone from an '02 Escalade (6.0) to an '02 Suburban (5.3L), now to an '05 Escalade ESV (6.0L). When my rig isn't available (wife is toting kids around), I have my buddy pull it with his Tahoe. The trucks have never let us down and the longer wheelbase in the 'burb and Escalade is quite helpful when pulling long distances in variable conditions. I will say that I am a bit slower over mountain passes with the 5.3L, for obvious reasons, and when my Suburban ventured above 175,000 miles this spring I knew it was time to move on.

My vote is GM, but then again I am biased.

BMcD
'06 8.1L X45

Day1 (http://www.Liveday1.com) Wakesurfers

kgrove
06-26-2012, 03:04 AM
You'd need to give more specifics like budget, where and how you tow (hills, long or short distances, etc) and other needs for your truck (seating capacity, do you need it to be a p/u) to get a more tailored recommendation.

I've always been a Toyota guy myself. They cost more up front for sure... Tend to hold resale value much better than GM or Ford, so arguably you get your money back, or at least thats the argument i always use with my wife to justify why I bought the more expensive car. It does seem to be born out by my experiences versus friends who bought GM and Ford, but maybe it's luck or I take better care of my cars than they do. My experience is similar to yours with your 4Runner that they have been extremely reliable.

The other knock I'll give Toyota is that at least until the 5.8L engine they put in the newer Tundra, Sequoia, and Land Cruiser they really weren't a great tow car. The engines are wonderfully smooth and quiet for normal or even off road use but weren't blessed with much torque to tow heavy loads. I've heard good things about the 5.8L engine but have not towed with one myself, just test drives.

Trig2275
06-26-2012, 08:56 AM
I have 2010 Toyota Sequoia towing my X-15. It has the 5.7L and tows it perfectly. The Crew Max Tundra works great as well if you stay with Toyota. You weren't lucky with your 4runner. To never have a problem out of a 4Runner is normal.

Philscbx
06-26-2012, 09:02 AM
I prefer 3/4 ton for all the right reasons - the DuroMax 2500 Crew.
I keep looking the 2500 series Suburban - one of these days.

onejdgreen
06-26-2012, 09:23 AM
Like Kgrove said, we need to know what your budget is, towing distance, terrain, etc. I have towed 2 miles to 2,000 miles with 1/2 ton to 1 ton and everything inbetween. My vote is a 3/4 ton Diesel. More power than you know what to do with, no embarassing moments at the ramp because you cant pull the trailer up, seen that quite often... Great mileage for pulling, I get 18-20 pulling my 197, of course there is nothing stock with my engine either. That is another plus if your a gear head, diesels are relatively easy to get more out of.

Ironhorse
06-26-2012, 09:26 AM
If your 4Runner has not caused you any issues, why would you change from Toyota? I would look at the Sequoia or Tundra. I drive a Tundra Crewmax Platinum and love it.

dfmaus
06-26-2012, 09:32 AM
I have a Dodge 5.9L 2500 diesel - 24 mpg overall(not towing), but I do have a manual transmission unlike most. 18-20 when towing a prostar, 16 when pulling 10000 lbs of camper. 610 lbs of torque with no mods, I'm sure the new models are all better than my 2005.

Like Kgrove said, we need to know what your budget is, towing distance, terrain, etc. I have towed 2 miles to 2,000 miles with 1/2 ton to 1 ton and everything inbetween. My vote is a 3/4 ton Diesel. More power than you know what to do with, no embarassing moments at the ramp because you cant pull the trailer up, seen that quite often... Great mileage for pulling, I get 18-20 pulling my 197, of course there is nothing stock with my engine either. That is another plus if your a gear head, diesels are relatively easy to get more out of.

mzimme
06-26-2012, 09:36 AM
If it were me, I'd keep the 4runner. New tires and a 90k service do not cost as much as a brand new rig. If your current rig does the job without any complaints, why fix what's not broken?

I guess I'm a little biased though. My Lexus(toyota) daily driver has been nothing short of phenomenal. 134k miles in under 5 years, and the most expensive repair I've made on the thing was a couple of o2 sensors. Come to think of it, that's the only repair I've had to make.

pmkkdx
06-26-2012, 09:40 AM
I'm with Philscbx ... but I use a truck for many other towing reasons where a diesel 2500 is minimum requirements for me as I frequently get up into the 12-15k+ range for loads. Dodge 4x4 with Cummins for me. Owned 8 over the past 21 years, wouldn't have anything else for my towing needs. I haven't gotten the 6.7 dialed in yet for higher mpg, but all the 5.9s easily tuned in to 22-24 mpg highway empty and 15-16 towing (14.7 worst case but tipped scales slightly over 21k lbs) .

I upgraded my wife's '06 4runner to a '11 4runner due to the new interior redesign and it tows our '04 X2 well over short distances (the '06 struggled a bit). Haven't tried it for any long distances yet. Will likely look into a Tahoe or Suburban in a couple years when we upgrade again to get a bit more seating capacity/room, which is what we had prior to the '06 4runner when our kids were at home. The '11 4runner gets about 21-22 open highway, 17-18 around town/highway combination (wife's normal) and 12-13 towing boat/16 foot flatbed with Kubota RTV (but again, fairly short distances), has very large rotors with very good braking. We really like the Toyotas but they really aren't designed for someone over 6 foot tall IMO. I personnally would also look into the new Durango with Hemi as it offers 7400 (RWD)/ 7200 (AWD) towing and rating similar on MPG compared to the 4runner.

pmkkdx
06-26-2012, 09:43 AM
If it were me, I'd keep the 4runner. New tires and a 90k service do not cost as much as a brand new rig. If your current rig does the job without any complaints, why fix what's not broken?

I guess I'm a little biased though. My Lexus(toyota) daily driver has been nothing short of phenomenal. 134k miles in under 5 years, and the most expensive repair I've made on the thing was a couple of o2 sensors. Come to think of it, that's the only repair I've had to make.

I highly agree with this if it meets your needs!!! only reason we upgraded was for features of the redesigned interior as we were extremely pleased with our '06 other than interior room.

kskonn
06-26-2012, 10:16 AM
I have owned the following:
2007 chevy Tahoe
2009 F150 with 5.4 liter
2000 F250 Powerstroke
2010 Cadillac Escalade
2012 F150 with Ecoboost engine

The best towing vehicle of the 5 has actually been the F150 with the Ecoboost engine, pulls my X2 effortlessly.

The 5.4 Liter with Ford worked well and I put 150k on the truck with no issues, was short on power- I had the exact same experience with my Tahoe, reliable but it struggled with hills etc...

The F250, well it towed great, sold it when I realized how well the 2012 F150 towed.

Escalade towed pretty well, the 6.2 liter engine was a beast.

I put 100k plus on every vehicle I have owned, no real problems with any of them. I am not a biased brand guy, I buy what I like, I almost bought a tundra this last go around, but I just like the F150 a little better. Two of my buddies have tundras and they have been great trucks for them.

good luck, there are a lot of good options out there right now.

TRBenj
06-26-2012, 10:28 AM
I highly agree with this if it meets your needs!!! only reason we upgraded was for features of the redesigned interior as we were extremely pleased with our '06 other than interior room.
I agree as well... if the truck works well now, that 90k service and some new tires will have it back to tip top for a good while. I havent had a single issue with my '07 V8 (125k now).

I would be curious to know how heavy that Maristar is though- as well as how often you tow. If youre pushing the 7k lb tow capacity, and tow long distances regularly, then a bigger vehicle may be justified. If theyre shorter or infrequent trips, then something like the 1 ton trucks that everyone seems to love would be overkill if you dont need the extra space/capacity on a daily basis.

kodiak
06-26-2012, 12:54 PM
Wife just switched from an 03 Tahoe to a 2011 Sequoia last year and must say the Toyota is better in just about everything except fuel consumption. The Tahoe was a good truck but I pull up and down mountains and it would struggle (5.3L). With the Sequoia (5.7L) I have no problem maintaining highway speeds.

If your 4Runner has not caused you any issues, why would you change from Toyota? I would look at the Sequoia or Tundra. I drive a Tundra Crewmax Platinum and love it.

Hogwild
06-26-2012, 08:01 PM
First of all, thanks for all the responses. And now as far as more details go, right now I haul the boat (about 6500lb i think) 2-3 times a month on a trip ranging from 30-60 miles and I plan on taking it about 4 times a year on a trip about 200 miles down the road so I could see hauling about 1000 miles a year. The terrain here is not Colorado mountainous by any means but I do live in the Ozarks so it gets pretty hilly at times. I don't have any kids that I know of so back seat room really isn't an issue at this time.

And as far as why I'm even considering trading, I have these concerns....1. Trade it now because after 100K miles resale value typically takes a huge hit. 2. If I keep it, I can see having to plug about $2,500 into the 4runner in the not so distant future (new tires, 90K mile service, recommended transmission cooler, weight distribution hitch), whereas if I bought new, this $2500 could go directly into a vehicle already possessing or not needing these things. I love my Toyota and never thought I would even think about another brand, but I'm just not sure the Tundra has the proven track record of the other brands but it doesn't mean I can't be persuaded otherwise. :D One thing is for sure, I definitely don't want to hurt my 4runner and sometimes I'm afraid I may be overdoing it hauling something this heavy. Anyway, those are the things that have me weighing my options.

Hogwild, your screen name anything to do with the razorbacks? If so where do you live? I am from Arkansas and graduated from the U of A.

Yes it most certainly does. I live in Fayetteville and am a Razorback fan through and through. WPS!!!
What year did you graduate?

thekubiaks
06-26-2012, 08:20 PM
I have a 2008 Toyota Tundra 4WD with 5.7L V8. I love everything about it except the gas mileage is awful. I get 15MPG in the city and just under 10MPG pulling my 2006 X1. Although I don't care for Fords (because they were hard to work on), I have to give the nod to the new F-150's. They look sharp and it sounds like they have good gas mileage. I'm guessing Ford got with the program in the last few years after the GM bankruptcy stuff and are making solid trucks. The F-150 will probably be my next one.

ddanenberger
06-26-2012, 08:44 PM
I am sure people will say something ...but I but a new grand Cherokee overland with the hemi for towing our x25. 14 MPG towing in hills of Michigan ...no issue. Great tow.

AZX9
06-26-2012, 10:05 PM
I knew before I started reading the posts that the advise was going to be all over the place. If anything we will confuse the issue. My two cents are no different.

First of all when it comes to towing and mileage there is no substitute for diesel. Now for my story. I had a 2500 Dodge Ram Cummins that towed wonderfully. It replaced an F250 V-10 that would not hold speed in hill situations and got about 6 mpg towing. I was in a similar situation with pending steering component repairs and decided to get a new vehicle. Since I drive a company car the vehicle would be the wife's daily driver. She did not want a clunky truck to drive around so I gave her a choice. She could get anything we could afford AND it had to be diesel. After considering the few choices out there we went with the VW Touareg. It's mid sized and my 6'3" son fits just fine in the back seat. Not so in our 4runner. It has all wheel drive so absolutely no wheel spin issues at the ramp. It has a 7700lb tow rating. With a 3 liter diesel the thing gets about 31 mpg at 65 mph. We get about 24 in town. The torque is awesome for towing with a fairly large and flat torque curve that is mated to an eight speed transmision so it's never searching for a gear. It pulls strong and keeps speed going up grades. This is the type of tow vehicle that passes slow people in motorhomes on a two lane road. The vehicle has a substantial all around feel to it. From the solid feel of the door closing to the solid tow stability. It's a rocket ship that feels equally well doing 85+ mph. We absolutely love the vehicle and it's cool not driving a vehicle that everyone else has. It's hard to rub two of them together. The wife is excited because the 2013 Porche Cheyene which is made in the same factory along with the Audi Q7 will have the diesel next year. I can dream.

Good luck in putting a consensus from all the info thats conflicting. In the end you'll have to use your gut.

Hogwild
06-26-2012, 10:21 PM
I knew before I started reading the posts that the advise was going to be all over the place. If anything we will confuse the issue. My two cents are no different.

First of all when it comes to towing and mileage there is no substitute for diesel. Now for my story. I had a 2500 Dodge Ram Cummins that towed wonderfully. It replaced an F250 V-10 that would not hold speed in hill situations and got about 6 mpg towing. I was in a similar situation with pending steering component repairs and decided to get a new vehicle. Since I drive a company car the vehicle would be the wife's daily driver. She did not want a clunky truck to drive around so I gave her a choice. She could get anything we could afford AND it had to be diesel. After considering the few choices out there we went with the VW Touareg. It's mid sized and my 6'3" son fits just fine in the back seat. Not so in our 4runner. It has all wheel drive so absolutely no wheel spin issues at the ramp. It has a 7700lb tow rating. With a 3 liter diesel the thing gets about 31 mpg at 65 mph. We get about 24 in town. The torque is awesome for towing with a fairly large and flat torque curve that is mated to an eight speed transition so it's never searching for a gear. It pulls strong and keeps speed going up grades. This is the type of tow vehicle that passes slow people in motorhomes on a two lane road. The vehicle has a substantial all around feel to it. From the solid feel of the door closing to the solid tow stability. It's a rocket ship that feels equally well doing 85+ mph. We absolutely love the vehicle and it's cool not driving a vehicle that everyone else has. It's hard to rub two of them together. The wife is excited because the 2013 Porche Cheyene which is made in the same factory along with the Audi Q7 will have the diesel next year. I can dream.

Good luck in putting a consensus from all the info thats conflicting. In the end you'll have to use your gut.

Yeah, I figured that I would get responses from across the board, but I like to hear other's experiences with certain vehicles. And I like the fact that you responded because I wouldn't even have considered the Touareg as an option, but is one that I may well consider. I have always liked VW vehicles, but didn't realize it had that towing capacity.

ttu
06-26-2012, 11:02 PM
hogwild, i am in a similiar position. i had a 08 sequoia that pulled great but drank gas like crazy. it needed service at the 90K area along with tires and brakes. i did not do all the repairs and bought a 06 land cruiser. ( always loved the way they drive). it pulls the boat fine but still drinks gas.

i have been debating on going with either a audi q7 tdi or a touareg tdi as azx9 recommended. found a nice 09 q7 with low miles but concerned about realibity. also like the touareg but would want a 2011.

maybe azx9 will chime in on this part.

pmkkdx
06-27-2012, 09:22 AM
Oh yes, the TDI Touareg is another one that I would definately consider for my wife's daily driver & sometimes tow vehicle but forgot to mention. That came to light about a week after we bought our '11 4runner and really wished I had heard more about it prior to our purchase.

Ironhorse
06-27-2012, 10:36 AM
My wife drives an XC90 Volvo and it is a terrible vehicle. My wifes friend drives a 2010 Touareg and her husband says they have had nothing but issues with it as well. All I am saying is you may not have missed out buying the 4runner before you considered the Touareg. They do look good though.

swatkinz
06-27-2012, 05:13 PM
what's this 90K Toyota service you all are talking about. $1K? What does that service include?

mzimme
06-27-2012, 05:26 PM
what's this 90K Toyota service you all are talking about. $1K? What does that service include?

For my Lexus, the big portion of the 90k service is the timing belt. Not sure if it's the same case on the 4runner, however.

Also things like oil, trans fluid, radiator flush, rear diff flush, spark plugs, wires, accessory belt, etc. Normal maintenance things, but the timing belt is usually the big one.

TRBenj
06-27-2012, 05:28 PM
Its specific to the V8... timing belt and water pump are the 2 big hitters. I had them do a trans drain/fill also (flush is not recommended).

The V6 is much more reasonable, as it has a timing chain.

Hogwild
06-27-2012, 07:21 PM
You all are correct. Dealer told me that on V-8's the timing belt job alone takes them 4 hours to do and is about 2/3 the cost of that 90K service. The rest is fluids, etc.

Hogwild
06-27-2012, 07:23 PM
i have been debating on going with either a audi q7 tdi or a touareg tdi as azx9 recommended. found a nice 09 q7 with low miles but concerned about realibity. also like the touareg but would want a 2011.

Still hoping he responds as well. He has my interest peaked with the touareg.

ttu
06-27-2012, 07:35 PM
You all are correct. Dealer told me that on V-8's the timing belt job alone takes them 4 hours to do and is about 2/3 the cost of that 90K service. The rest is fluids, etc.

around a $1000 for the timing belt, water pump and fluids. on my sequoia it was going to run another $400 for tranny along with $350 brakes and $1400.00 for tires.

fskof
06-27-2012, 08:43 PM
I have a 2004 VW Touareg V8 that I use to tow my Prostar 209 and I love it. This thing tow's better then the 1998 Dodge Dakota v8 or the Chevy silverado I had.
I have the air suspension that raises and levels the car.

Hogwild
06-27-2012, 09:22 PM
around a $1000 for the timing belt, water pump and fluids. on my sequoia it was going to run another $400 for tranny along with $350 brakes and $1400.00 for tires.

Yeah, that's why I was estimating at least $2500 -3000 for everything. Kind of hard not to think about a new ride when it gets to this point.

lt14me
06-27-2012, 09:44 PM
Here's an odd recommendation as most would say stay away from British, however I have had ZERO problems with my 2005 Land Rover LR3 and currently have over 100k on the odometer. Paint and interior still like new. It has a 7700lb towing capacity, and pulls my 22 and a half foot maristar with full tank of gas with no real problems. Has a ford/jaguar sourced AJ series v8, with a bulletproof ZF 6 speed. Of course gas mileage suffers to 10-11 towing, but it has automatic leveling suspension on all four corners so the boat always stay's level, and is extremely comfortable and quiet. Just my $.02

ttu
06-27-2012, 11:29 PM
rover's are great looking suv's! please don't take this wrong but you might be the first person i have ever heard of with 0 issues!

my old neighbor who is now head fb coach at arizonia state had a freebie 05 when he was a asst at univ of tulsa and that thing was in the shop all the time. my other neighbor had a range rover sport and same thing. again love the looks of them.

AZX9
06-27-2012, 11:34 PM

Still hoping he responds as well. He has my interest peaked with the touareg.

2010 models have the older body style and have an air suspension for raising the clearance and off roading (street tires of course). They also have a self leveling rear end I believe.

2011+ newer body style interior and out and I believe a little longer wheel base but I'm not sure. Simple spring suspension with no self leveling. The Touareg's carry a 100,000 mile drive train warranty unlike the other VW models. They have a 36,000 mile maintenance coverage covering all scheduled maintenance. This is not a Mexico made VW These are made in slovakia in the same factory and line as the Q7 and Porsche Cheyene. The fit and finish of the Tourareg is well above the other VW models and is in my opinion just as nice as the wife's Audi A4 it replaced. We looked at the Q7 and other than a few upgrades it's close in "niceness". We have about 21,000 miles with not one issue. Most seem to have a factory hitch ordered but not all. If you drive one of these you will quickly fall in love with it when your but sinks in when the turbo kicks in. Its got 406 ft pounds of tourque. As a comparison my Cummins had 555 with twice the displacement. You'll be hooked. Make sure you buy it with the hitch. There really is no option for aftermarket hitches and the wiring is made to accommodate other country's lighting rules so it has to be programmed to USA configurations. Mine didn't have a factory hitch and eight pin wiring harness. I insisted it had to have it be fore I bought it. The dealer agreed before he found out that after the fact the hitch and parts were hella expensive. They ended up pulling them off of another car on the lot. So far (knock on teak) the wife has not put gasoline in it yet like she did to my truck. Ask any questions, I love my Touareg and will be happy to expand on info.

AZX9
06-27-2012, 11:41 PM
rover's are great looking suv's! please don't take this wrong but you might be the first person i have ever heard of with 0 issues!

my old neighbor who is now head fb coach at arizonia state had a freebie 05 when he was a asst at univ of tulsa and that thing was in the shop all the time. my other neighbor had a range rover sport and same thing. again love the looks of them.

I had a 97 Disco that was a blast to off road in but it had a ton of issues all the time. Good thing was it was all under warranty other than the last issue i had. Was at a Dairy Queen drive through and put the window down. It wouldn't go back up, and it was winter. I had to ***** and speek with the dealerships head president to get it fixed at no cost to me. They have of course been owned by BMW then FORD and now Some Indian company. At a recent offroad event I attended with my son they sponsored an off road obstacle course and let people drive new vehicles. During the drive the employee acknowledged issues of the past and indicated the company was working hard to improve quality. He sited that a local area dealer was able to cut the incoming warranty and other repairs over the last few years by over half. I do love the Rangerover but can't afford one.

lt14me
06-28-2012, 12:34 AM

I understand, people thought I was nuts buying a land rover let alone a first year lr3 (2005 model year). But I took the risk and glad I did, I know they are problem prone, I might have gotten lucky (knocking on wood)..... But 7 years and 103000 no issues of course I do all maintenance including the front and rear differential fluids, plugs, etc......And yes they are now owned by Tata makers of the worlds cheapest car....the tata nano :o

ttu
06-28-2012, 10:23 AM
2010 models have the older body style and have an air suspension for raising the clearance and off roading (street tires of course). They also have a self leveling rear end I believe.

2011+ newer body style interior and out and I believe a little longer wheel base but I'm not sure. Simple spring suspension with no self leveling. The Touareg's carry a 100,000 mile drive train warranty unlike the other VW models. They have a 36,000 mile maintenance coverage covering all scheduled maintenance. This is not a Mexico made VW These are made in slovakia in the same factory and line as the Q7 and Porsche Cheyene. The fit and finish of the Tourareg is well above the other VW models and is in my opinion just as nice as the wife's Audi A4 it replaced. We looked at the Q7 and other than a few upgrades it's close in "niceness". We have about 21,000 miles with not one issue. Most seem to have a factory hitch ordered but not all. If you drive one of these you will quickly fall in love with it when your but sinks in when the turbo kicks in. Its got 406 ft pounds of tourque. As a comparison my Cummins had 555 with twice the displacement. You'll be hooked. Make sure you buy it with the hitch. There really is no option for aftermarket hitches and the wiring is made to accommodate other country's lighting rules so it has to be programmed to USA configurations. Mine didn't have a factory hitch and eight pin wiring harness. I insisted it had to have it be fore I bought it. The dealer agreed before he found out that after the fact the hitch and parts were hella expensive. They ended up pulling them off of another car on the lot. So far (knock on teak) the wife has not put gasoline in it yet like she did to my truck. Ask any questions, I love my Touareg and will be happy to expand on info.

thank you for responding. i may have missed it but what year is your touareg?

Retoxtony
06-28-2012, 04:11 PM
For any of you guys considering a new F150 ecoboost, do yourself a favor. Do not buy one until you can test drive it while pulling your boat. These trucks are extremely hit and miss. Lots of guys say how great they are but mine is absolutely awful, especially when pulling anything. Yes it pulls my boat like its not there, but getting 11 mpg pulling a prostar 205 is pretty bad. My 09 GMC with the 6.2L engine and 33" tires got consistently better mileage.

kgrove
06-28-2012, 04:44 PM
I understand, people thought I was nuts buying a land rover let alone a first year lr3 (2005 model year). But I took the risk and glad I did, I know they are problem prone, I might have gotten lucky (knocking on wood)..... But 7 years and 103000 no issues of course I do all maintenance including the front and rear differential fluids, plugs, etc......And yes they are now owned by Tata makers of the worlds cheapest car....the tata nano :o

This is consistent with what I've witnessed with friends who have owned LRs. The majority have some problems, a few have zero problems, and a few are absolutely awful. Very inconsistent. Unfortunate, because the styling and "feel" is maybe best in class... But I wouldn't buy one even if they were less expensive than other choices.

I value my time and effort too much to deal with problems. I'll stick with my Toyotas until they prove me wrong. Between me and my wife I'm on my 4th Toyota SUV in the last 15 years and the only true repair I've had to make is an antenna motor died. Everything else has been normal "consumables" like timing belts and preventative maintenance.

Tony Retired Barefooter
06-28-2012, 07:00 PM
GM Express AWD 5.3
I have 216,000 miles on mine

Tony

AZX9
06-28-2012, 08:42 PM
thank you for responding. i may have missed it but what year is your touareg?

I have a 2011 TDI Lux model with the sadle brown interior.

ttu
07-01-2012, 09:20 PM
well after we went to the lake yesterday we went and test drove a new touraeg tdi. all i can say is i was really impressed with the power it has. was a little shocked at the sticker price. granted the one i drove was a executive model.

Red 08 Xstar
07-01-2012, 10:42 PM

I have an 05 Land Rover LR3 also. No issues with mine either with 79,000 miles so far. Pulls the XStar effortlessly, and the ride is luxurious.

Lumbergh
07-01-2012, 11:13 PM
... with my Toyotas until they prove me wrong. Between me and my wife I'm on my 4th Toyota SUV in the last 15 years and the only true repair I've had to make is an antenna motor died. Everything else has been normal "consumables" like timing belts and preventative maintenance.

I have read this alot about Toyotas.

The truck I lust for right now is a Land Cruiser.

Always driven German cars exclusively, but for some reason I am jonesing for a LC. I would settle for a loaded Sequoia, but wife insists on a Lexus GX470. So maybe that will be the next boat / kid / ski / do anything hauler.

AZX9
07-02-2012, 01:46 AM
well after we went to the lake yesterday we went and test drove a new touraeg tdi. all i can say is i was really impressed with the power it has. was a little shocked at the sticker price. granted the one i drove was a executive model.

The lux model is about 5000 less. You loose push button start, touch unlock if you have the key near, stereo upgrade, and 20" wheels.

kgrove
07-02-2012, 02:31 AM
I have read this alot about Toyotas.

The truck I lust for right now is a Land Cruiser.

Always driven German cars exclusively, but for some reason I am jonesing for a LC. I would settle for a loaded Sequoia, but wife insists on a Lexus GX470. So maybe that will be the next boat / kid / ski / do anything hauler.

My last two cars have been Land Cruisers and my wife's current car is a Sequoia, both of us on 2007 vintage right now. I've test driven the newer body style Sequoia but not the newer LC. As tow cars, the ones with the 4.7L engine (the cheaper models of the current Sequoias and both models before at least 2008) are passable but suffer on hills due to low torque. The newer models with the 5.7L are supposed to be great at towing, but I haven't pulled anything with them myself. Compared to the LC, the Sequoia is much more affordable and is a better kid hauler if you at least occasionally use the third row of seats, but the LC feels better driving - smoother ride and more luxurious feel. I've test driven the newer body style Sequoia but not the current model LC/Lexus.

You can't go wrong with any of those choices... whichever fits your needs best I'm sure will turn out to be a great car.

deminimis
07-02-2012, 04:42 PM
Back in the day, I towed with a old International Scout and big ol' Caddy. More recently I've used an E-350 Sportsmobile and currently a D-Max Dually. A D-Max dually is overkill, but you never have to worry about nada. The best all around hauler was probably the Sportsmobile. Having the ability to stow/carry a lot of gear securely in a big Ford diesel van was really nice. The best hauler for hauling's sake I've had is definitely the dually. I can tow all day long and then some. I've towed stuff with my former 4Runners and Land Cruiser, but nothing quite as heavy as a boat (although a horse trailer with a pair of those beasts weighs pretty close). The Toys really weren't the right tool. Toyota for driving, 'merican for hauling, in my opinion.

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2537/3910100872_4c011a3f28_z.jpg?zz=1

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-ViM6iDi7bM0/T_H4pYRUJKI/AAAAAAAACUk/TI4pYMz5ZKg/s800/IMG_20120630_144050.jpg

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-cj-7RXMtRUY/T_H36gdSg7I/AAAAAAAACUY/Na_yZ_e98-I/s800/2010-07-17%252008.33.44.jpg

onebadrubi
07-09-2012, 02:10 AM
First of all, thanks for all the responses. And now as far as more details go, right now I haul the boat (about 6500lb i think) 2-3 times a month on a trip ranging from 30-60 miles and I plan on taking it about 4 times a year on a trip about 200 miles down the road so I could see hauling about 1000 miles a year. The terrain here is not Colorado mountainous by any means but I do live in the Ozarks so it gets pretty hilly at times. I don't have any kids that I know of so back seat room really isn't an issue at this time.

And as far as why I'm even considering trading, I have these concerns....1. Trade it now because after 100K miles resale value typically takes a huge hit. 2. If I keep it, I can see having to plug about $2,500 into the 4runner in the not so distant future (new tires, 90K mile service, recommended transmission cooler, weight distribution hitch), whereas if I bought new, this $2500 could go directly into a vehicle already possessing or not needing these things. I love my Toyota and never thought I would even think about another brand, but I'm just not sure the Tundra has the proven track record of the other brands but it doesn't mean I can't be persuaded otherwise. :D One thing is for sure, I definitely don't want to hurt my 4runner and sometimes I'm afraid I may be overdoing it hauling something this heavy. Anyway, those are the things that have me weighing my options.

Yes it most certainly does. I live in Fayetteville and am a Razorback fan through and through. WPS!!!
What year did you graduate?

I graduated U of A in 2010, how about you? I live in Little Rock now. But I work in NWA and Oklahoma a lot. I'd be glad to let you hook your boat to my 6.2l GMC to let you see how it pulls when I'm up there.

I see a few people here are saying go for the 5.7l toyota's. I would be very careful here, they are having issues getting over 12-13 mpgs not pulling anything.

Hogwild
07-10-2012, 10:06 PM
I graduated U of A in 2010, how about you? I live in Little Rock now. But I work in NWA and Oklahoma a lot. I'd be glad to let you hook your boat to my 6.2l GMC to let you see how it pulls when I'm up there.

I see a few people here are saying go for the 5.7l toyota's. I would be very careful here, they are having issues getting over 12-13 mpgs not pulling anything.

Yeah the mpg on the Toyota's does scare me a bit. I graduated a couple of times 8p .. Last time in 2010. I've been in NWA the past 10 years and really don't see leaving if I have a choice.

ttu
07-10-2012, 11:00 PM
hogwild, i can simply say this, the salesman let me take a touareg tdi to the lake on the 5th of july. granted i didn't tow but 3 miles to the ramp with it but i was very impressed. i got 31 mpg on my 40 miles each way. now i just need a 2011- 2012 with a few miles on it for price reasons. not many used ones out there.

i have owned a 01, 05 sequoia along with a 07 tahoe then back to 08 sequoia then my current 06 cruiser and by all means the touareg had better power and mgp's!

kstumpenhorst
07-10-2012, 11:37 PM
I haul my maristar 230 with my gmc 2500 duramax. Wouldn't have it any other way.

AZX9
07-11-2012, 12:17 AM
In considering Chevy GMC or Toyota you should consider the rear end gear ratio for towing. Tahoes, suburbans have 3.42 At best in the rears, they even offer a 3.08. Wow what a dog! The sequoia has a 3.90 I believe.

OHIOPRO205
07-11-2012, 06:22 AM
I just bought a 2012 GMC Sierra 1500. It has the 3.42 gears in it. I got rid of a 2003 GMC Yukon XL with 3.73 gears. I was a little worried but the Sierra has a 6 speed tranny. Just towed 6 hours to Lake Cumberland and it did an awesome job in my opinion. I vote GMC!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

surfacetension
07-11-2012, 10:28 AM
I just got a 2012 Suburban , I had a 2005 but it nickle and dimed me to death , I like the longer wheelbase of the suburban over the tahoe . But the new style transmision is a bit wierd. It wants to downshift all the time . I get about 10 mpg when towing and 19 when not. I like the fit and finish and I have the trailer pack so it has the nice 3:42 rear and heavy duty cooling. hope this helps

92 190 PS
07-11-2012, 10:50 AM
Hogwild here is my two cents. I have the same truck you do a 2005 V8 4runner and my wife had a Honda Pilot. Obviously we towed the boat with the 4runner and we love the truck. We have 4 kids so decided to get the wife a bigger vehicle and something that would tow the boat and the next MasterCraft :).

Long story short I love Toyota and wanted a Sequoia, but they are about impossible to find and my experience with the dealers over the 6 months I looked for one was that many Toyota dealers are a bunch of arrogant bastards. Basically was told that they were going to sell them for a premium and not deal and that was that, because after all it was a Toyota and a Sequoia. Guess I'll take my $50k and go buy something else then...

So........We drove everything from Expedition, Yukon, Escalade and Sequoias. On the way home from driving a Sequoia late one evening I told her lets stop and and have you drive a Nissan Armada just to compare, because we weren't considering Nissan at that point. That was the end of our shopping spree. We bought an Armada 3 months ago and couldn't be more happy. Only downside is it's a bit rough on fuel, but we knew that when we bought it and I'm assuming that most in the market for a vehicle like this doesn't have fuel economy at the top of their list of priorities. Fuel has been 14/15 regular city driving, 17/18 highway and 12/13 towing.

Armada rides great, quiet, plenty of room for the kids and all their baseball equipment and has all the bells and whistles and would tow the house if it had wheels. The first couple of years they were around back in 04 and 05 they had bad reviews for reliability, but that seems to be behind them.

onebadrubi
07-17-2012, 12:54 AM
I would also give the nissan armada or titan (exact same) a great review. I have driven and towed with an 05 titan and they have great torque where it is needed. But, I couldn't get 14 on the highway for mileage, and this is seeming to be common with them.

Also, to the guy who said GM can't get 3.73's, that is correct with a 5.3 and 6 speed, doesn't matter which vehicle. All 4 speed transmissions were "offered" with 3.73's. But I would run far away from any gm with the 4 speed transmission. Not good for anything but s10 pickups.

I have heard rumors that the expedition is possibly coming out with the ecoboost motor. That would take the cake in the SUV class, and the only two half ton trucks I would consider would be the ford f150 with ecoboost motor, or the GM with 6.2l. Both of these will get at least 15 average. I just used my GMC with a 6.2l too tow a 35 foot camper weighing 8,000 pounds 700 miles. Pulled great and average 8.6-9.2 MPG. Pulling the maristar with people and gear I get around 12-13. Truck is good. This is also with a leveling kit and 285/70 tires (about 2" taller and about 1.5" wider).

Voodoo
07-17-2012, 09:23 AM
02 Ford Excursion, 7.3 diesel. 8 pax, one ton internal capacity, tows 11K. Pretty much not a fair fight to compare it to other SUV tow vehicles. 16mpg (loaded).
Voodoo

mccobmd
07-17-2012, 03:14 PM
Armada rides great, quiet, plenty of room for the kids and all their baseball equipment and has all the bells and whistles and would tow the house if it had wheels. The first couple of years they were around back in 04 and 05 they had bad reviews for reliability, but that seems to be behind them.

I would have to echo everything here. I am on my second Armada and for towing in the SUV class nothing compares. It has 3/4 ton capacity at 9000lbs and will start and stop any MC (maybe not the 300). I get 10-12 mpg towing. I got 15.8 driving 70-75 from here to Crested Butte, CO. At 65mph I average 17.4 mpg. I have a 2010 4wd Titanium. I had an 04 before this and it was reliable when I traded it with 95,000 miles. They have more front and second row passenger seating room. Third row is bigger than any competitor but as a result storage inside behind the third row is not as good a Chevy/GMC. Most importantly they are heavy enough to stop whatever you're pulling. Good Luck.

Nick911
07-17-2012, 03:25 PM
My vote for new model Yukon Denali or Cadillac Eacalade. 6.2L aluminum block V8's, they look great, and the rear Autoride auto-leveling function means you are always towing level. No brainer IMO. Mine tows my X25 like a champ. I go 1400 Km through mountains no prob. Wait a year though new models coming out next year.

scott023
07-17-2012, 03:47 PM
My vote for new model Yukon Denali or Cadillac Eacalade. 6.2L aluminum block V8's, they look great, and the rear Autoride auto-leveling function means you are always towing level. No brainer IMO. Mine tows my X25 like a champ. I go 1400 Km through mountains no prob. Wait a year though new models coming out next year.

They have been saying that for a few years now... I'm not holding my breath. 8p

ttu
07-27-2012, 05:23 PM
The lux model is about 5000 less. You loose push button start, touch unlock if you have the key near, stereo upgrade, and 20" wheels.

azx9, would you please check your pm please.

addictedoffroad
07-27-2012, 08:35 PM

I own a Toyota based offroad shop and do a lot of timing belts and timing chains on these vehicles. Its a shame that all dealers charge "Book rate" on these. It might have taken the first guy 4hrs to do it, but to a seasoned mechanic it will take 1/4 of that time. I just did one on a 3.0L V6 last week. Took me an hour and a half with a new water pump as well. FWIW, that 3.0L had 317K on the original belt. Yes, its was way overdue and cracked, but at only 90K, I bet the belt is still in very good shape. Just my $.02

I have an 01' 7.3L Excursion. 186K on it. I have a tuner and mods done to it. 4" Lift, 35s, and have done a lot to the suspension to get it tow-worthy for a lot of weight. I get 17.5mpg unloaded. The boat only knocks it down to 16.5mpg. Its main use is my 30ft Travel trailer though. 9000lbs and I get 13.5mpg. I live in Colorado and pull major passes with it. It easily cruises 65mph up I-70 over the major pulls up the Rockies with the travel trailer on it. It doesn't even know the boat is behind it. LOL.

Best part is that its paid for, fits my entire family(and my neighbor's family....lol) and can smoke most sport cars unloaded. :D

Personally, I would keep the 4runner. Get a Scan Gauge II and program the gauge for tranny temp and just drop it out of OD when it gets over 210*. The Toyota you have a is a great rig. If Toyota is ever allowed to import a diesel in the new Tundra/Sequoia, I will own one.

Hogwild
07-29-2012, 01:22 AM
I own a Toyota based offroad shop and do a lot of timing belts and timing chains on these vehicles. Its a shame that all dealers charge "Book rate" on these. It might have taken the first guy 4hrs to do it, but to a seasoned mechanic it will take 1/4 of that time. I just did one on a 3.0L V6 last week. Took me an hour and a half with a new water pump as well. FWIW, that 3.0L had 317K on the original belt. Yes, its was way overdue and cracked, but at only 90K, I bet the belt is still in very good shape. Just my $.02

I have an 01' 7.3L Excursion. 186K on it. I have a tuner and mods done to it. 4" Lift, 35s, and have done a lot to the suspension to get it tow-worthy for a lot of weight. I get 17.5mpg unloaded. The boat only knocks it down to 16.5mpg. Its main use is my 30ft Travel trailer though. 9000lbs and I get 13.5mpg. I live in Colorado and pull major passes with it. It easily cruises 65mph up I-70 over the major pulls up the Rockies with the travel trailer on it. It doesn't even know the boat is behind it. LOL.

Best part is that its paid for, fits my entire family(and my neighbor's family....lol) and can smoke most sport cars unloaded. :D

Personally, I would keep the 4runner. Get a Scan Gauge II and program the gauge for tranny temp and just drop it out of OD when it gets over 210*. The Toyota you have a is a great rig. If Toyota is ever allowed to import a diesel in the new Tundra/Sequoia, I will own one.

Thanks offroad...From what dealer told me it seems that the V-8 is harder to change the belts on than the V-6. But I agree with you on the cost and time as it seems a bit much. The more I think about and talk with others I may just hold off and have them check the belts every time the oil is changed until I absolutely have to replace. So what's this Scan Gauge II all about and is it something I could install myself?

ttu
08-04-2012, 05:04 PM
well bought the new touareg tdi. sweet. amazing amount of power and mpg's.

Hogwild
08-05-2012, 12:04 AM

Very nice!! Enjoy your new ride.

AZX9
08-05-2012, 02:47 AM

That looks like mine!!

Camusic X15
06-16-2013, 03:24 PM
I have 2010 Toyota Sequoia towing my X-15. It has the 5.7L and tows it perfectly. The Crew Max Tundra works great as well if you stay with Toyota. You weren't lucky with your 4runner. To never have a problem out of a 4Runner is normal. I'm looking to replace my 2005 Sequoia Limited with a new Sequoia. I've read that having the self leveling suspension is a must. Which model Sequoia do you have? I'm also towing an X-15

Camusic X15
06-16-2013, 03:25 PM
I'm looking to replace my 2005 Sequoia Limited with a new Sequoia. I've read that having the self leveling suspension is a must. Which model Sequoia do you have? I'm also towing an X-15

Terrell
06-16-2013, 03:34 PM
Toyota Tundra with the 5.7 Liter V8. It pulls my Pro205 like a dream.