PDA

View Full Version : 2000 X Star steering cable

redraider08
06-25-2012, 07:10 PM
Just bought a 2000 x- star and the guy I test drive it with at the dealer said the stiff steering was normal, and since that was the only inboard I had ever driven I took his word for it. Then yesterday I drive my friends 1989 tristar 190 and you could turn it at all speeds with your finger. So am assuming the steering in my boat should be about the same. Has anyone used a steering cable other then the mastercraft cable? Im sure the factory replacement will be best but just wanted to make sure before I ordered the part. Thanks!

Rossterman
06-26-2012, 12:25 AM
Pretty common problem. I had the cable on my 2001 205v replaced at the dealer during the transfer inspection when buying the boat as it was stiff and the new cable is very light with no discernable drag or resistance.
Understand from the mechanic that the outer wire braiding rusts causing the sheath around the cable to get tighter over time. Guess if they used stainless steel it would never need to be replaced but so much for selling more cables. Cost is around $200 and folks have posted online instructions on how to replace it.

redraider08
06-26-2012, 09:21 AM
Looking at getting the 19' Teleflex TFXTREME cable. The Teleflex part # is SSC15419. $134 at www.lowcostboatingstore.com Any thoughts?

redraider08
07-02-2012, 12:22 PM
Just thought I would update the post in case anyone needs info for the future. I got the cable in last week but didn't have time to install it before I went to the lake this weekend so I just greased the cable and rudder. Rudder took a small about of grease and the cable to much more then I thought it would. I put a few pumps in it then would work the steering wheel then pump more grease into it. I didn't think greasing would help much but to my surprise worked pretty well. I can't steer the boat with my finger but I can live with it the way it is now. It is a 12 year old boat and only had 170 hours on it when I bought it in April, so I’m sure it spent a lot of time sitting there with little maintenance due to the lack of use. I think I will at least wait until this winter to replace the cable as long as the steering stays the way it is now that it has been greased.