PDA

View Full Version : Shaft Seal Replacement? Taking on h2o

briggle2
06-25-2012, 02:31 PM
It appears my shaft seal melted or just rotted away? It's a 02 x star. Any tips on replacing this seal? I'm hoping its rather simple and this takes care of my water problem! :D

Tom023
06-25-2012, 02:38 PM
The seal for the shaft is on the inside of the boat, this is a picture of the outside portion of the fitting that the shaft seal attaches to. You may be getting some water leakage around this, where you see the black caulk, which can just be resealed. You need to look inside to see if the shaft seal (either a stuffing box (brass) or OJ dripless) seal are actually leaking.

briggle2
06-25-2012, 03:43 PM
Oh... So it's not going to be easy, but thanks for your expertise. This caulking looks like it's rotting off, could I scrape off the old and reseal it to see that solves the problem first? Then take a look inside? Thanks.

jmw
06-25-2012, 05:22 PM
I'm not sure when they switched shaft seals from stuffing box (brass) to OJ dripless in this link. It will be under you engine. A pic of OJ dripless is on this thread. http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=48724

Hrkdrivr
06-25-2012, 05:38 PM
I'd say you look pretty good. Look inside and see if you're getting water inside near the seal (the thing that looks like the pic in the link above). If so, that's a different problem unrelated (I think) to what you're seeing here on the outside If you're not getting water inside then all you have is some caulk to clean up on the outside if you want to. Looks like that black fitting is just held on with wood-type screws, as in no nuts on the inside? You could probably remove the screws, slide the fitting away from the hull, clean it up, re-caulk and screw it back in. I don't know if I'd even bother!

Your shaft even looks pretty well centered.

Hrkdrivr
06-25-2012, 06:55 PM
Oh, I missed the title of your thread. Yeah. Check the seal on the inside. Duh.

mikeg205
06-25-2012, 08:03 PM
^^ +1 - looks like previous owner was unsure of how to adjust drip rate or do maintenance on shaft seal.