PDA

View Full Version : 82 S@S Dash/ignition wiring

old blue
06-25-2012, 02:18 PM
Hey Guys,

I could really use some help! I have been rebuilding my 82 and am finished with everything but the dash wiring and I seem to have made a mess of it.

The problem first seems to be that the ignition works fine to the starter and the upper guages turn on fine when the key turns, but the hot wire to the blower (and thus all the switches) is hot all the time. Key or no key turned or not.

Any one got an ignition/dash diagram? What should it look like? :confused:

Wiring seems designed by nature to make me feel stupid. :o

I promise pic's as soon as I can get them to my computer!

thanks
kent

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
06-25-2012, 02:58 PM
Hey Guys,

I could really use some help! I have been rebuilding my 82 and am finished with everything but the dash wiring and I seem to have made a mess of it.

The problem first seems to be that the ignition works fine to the starter and the upper guages turn on fine when the key turns, but the hot wire to the blower (and thus all the switches) is hot all the time. Key or no key turned or not.

Any one got an ignition/dash diagram? What should it look like? :confused:

Wiring seems designed by nature to make me feel stupid. :o

I promise pic's as soon as I can get them to my computer!

thanks
kent

On my boat all the switches are also hot at all times, this is so you can run the, blower, bilge pump, and nav lights without the need to turn ignition. I believe your boat should be the same.

ctjahn
06-25-2012, 03:04 PM
When I rewired my 78 two years ago with a new Blue Sea Systems fusebox, switches, fuses, etc.... I wired all my stuff to the key. Key is out, nothing works, and nothing can be left on accidently... (although that means if I am parked and want power, (if I had a radio for example), I have to leave the key on which can burn out the pertronix if left on...)

My choice and preference... Your mileage may vary.....

Cj

old blue
06-25-2012, 03:13 PM
Wow, thanks for the fast response.

I assumed (my usual mistake) that the blower ect. worked with the key. So I guess it is possible I wired it correctly.

When I rewired my 78 two years ago with a new Blue Sea Systems fusebox, switches, fuses, etc.... I wired all my stuff to the key. Key is out, nothing works, and nothing can be left on accidently... (although that means if I am parked and want power, (if I had a radio for example), I have to leave the key on which can burn out the pertronix if left on...)

That's a great Idea. I don't have time now, but that's what I need to do.

I've put lighted toggle (white/red) switches in and do not want the white light on when the key is out. I can wire them with red only, and no white so there is no draw on the battery.
I'll do that to get on the water, then redo the dash with fuse box ect. later.

Thanks
kent

thatsmrmastercraft
06-25-2012, 11:23 PM
On my boat all the switches are also hot at all times, this is so you can run the, blower, bilge pump, and nav lights without the need to turn ignition. I believe your boat should be the same.

Same thing on my '77. You want to be able to leave the bilge pump set on auto and be able to activate without the key in. Same thing with the blower, otherwise your choke would be wide open before you had the opportunity to fire up your engine.