PDA

View Full Version : Velvet Drive 1:1 rebuilding

sam196370
06-25-2012, 10:19 AM
So I lost my reverse gear and changing tranny fluid didn't help so I'm hoping someone can recommend a rebuilder in the Fairfield, CT area or provide a list of what I should replace if I were to rebuild it myself. If I do it myself I was planning on a rebuild kit, new cooling hoses/cooler, prop shaft packing, neutral safety switch.....am I missing anything?

Looks like removing trans doesn't require removing engine too - is this correct? Also looking for a shop that sells quality rebuild kits/cooling hoses, etc along with a rebuild manual if available.

Thanks for the feedback and if anyone has rebuilt one of these themselves I'd be interested to hear what level of difficulty this job entails.

Trans is from '79 SNS with 351W

thatsmrmastercraft
06-25-2012, 10:22 AM
SKIDIM will have everything you need should you decide to do the work yourself.
http://www.skidim.com/products.asp?dept=1101

Philscbx
06-25-2012, 10:33 AM
SKIDIM will have everything you need should you decide to do the work yourself.
http://www.skidim.com/products.asp?dept=1101I start there - then I have to go to sites with views. I don't do well with micro views.
Out of 3 mil sites - can't use their image link to sell/promote it here.

sam196370
06-29-2012, 01:47 PM
So picked up used trans today which looks great and I'm told functions well.

I'm going to install this myself and any insight would be extremely helpful. It seems like I disconnect the prop coupling, unbolt trans from bellhousing & mounts, remove cooling lines and installation is the reverse? I'd like to replace the cooler & cooling lines, anything else I should replace while I have it out?

Most importantly - do I need to re-aling the prop shaft and if so how is that done? I plan on unbolting the trans from mounts so shouldn't have to align those; do I?

Thanks

thatsmrmastercraft
06-29-2012, 01:49 PM
Might be a good time to replace shaft seals.

sam196370
06-29-2012, 03:57 PM
Got neoprene shaft seals and trans cooler/lines. So to swap these it's basically unbolting old one and bolting in new one?