PDA

View Full Version : Tightening Pylon

parks_jr_55
08-24-2005, 07:08 PM
It seems as if we loosed up the ski pylon when pulling multiple skiers. It moves around a little bit and creaks when cutting. How would this be tightened back down. Is this something the dealer should do?

AirJunky
08-24-2005, 07:14 PM
Pull the floorboard up & it's like 4 nuts on 2 U bolts to tighten it down.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
08-24-2005, 07:15 PM
good question parks.

Mine doensnt creak or move, but it does flex a bit when a skier is starting out, or on a corner cut. How much flex is normal?

Thats a good one parks! :toast:

bepresto
08-24-2005, 07:42 PM
real easy fix, do not think that there should be any flex in the pylon at all.

Thrall
08-24-2005, 08:16 PM
I thightened up the pylon on my boat almost 2 seasons ago and it's held fine ever since, and most of the time it has a skylon pole on it, and it gets some serious torque to the side placed on it.
Simple procedure. Pull the floor board up (mine has a small sect w/ 4 screws), and crank the snot out of the u bolts.

AirJunky
08-24-2005, 08:19 PM
real easy fix, do not think that there should be any flex in the pylon at all.
I'd question WHAT is flexing if there is. That thick aluminum pylon probably isn't doing it. I'd imagine it's the fiberglass stringers underneath...... and that can't be good.

MasterCrafting
08-24-2005, 08:36 PM
check where the pylon meets the floor, that "shoe" can get alittle cracked out. Make sure that when you use an extened pylon that you tighten the cable really tight!

There are two U bolts that you can try tightening up, if that doesnt happen you're in trouble...odds are you're going to have to rebuild the "shoe" (only if its cracked out)

Speaking from experiance here...our pylon is rock solid now!

08-24-2005, 09:32 PM
So are you guys saying there should be absolutely ZERO deflection in the pylon???? wow, thats hard to believe. Does anyone else here have deflection in their pylons? I noticed the other day when we were skiing that when the skier starts out the big pull causes the pylon to deflect a bit. and when the skier cuts real hard. So maybe there is a problem under the floor in my boat where the pylon attaches???? :confused: So what do I look for??

bradamerry
08-24-2005, 09:33 PM
I just tightened mine in the 87'.. Didn't even have to take the floor out.. :D

AirJunky
08-24-2005, 09:54 PM
I'm not saying there should be ZERO deflection. I'm saying that if the stringers or the cross supports are bending, they can break down over time. So the idea is to reduce that deflection as much as possible.
Your best bet is to ask someone who knows for sure. Maybe Jim or MyMC will jump in with an answer from the book.

Holtrodj
08-24-2005, 10:12 PM
Anyone ever serviced the rotating plastic piece where the rope is attached? ( I forget the MC term for it) Mine will creek a bit when a skier cuts hard. Is there a recommeded way to lube this up?

08-24-2005, 10:25 PM
well, I just went out and snugged up my 2 u bolts on the pylon. THe top was pretty tight. the bottom wasnt loose, but the nuts snugged up on it a bit. It feels good and tight. I just notice it flexes a bit when a skier starts out or cuts hard thats all. I cant imagine that those pylons could have no deflection in them at all, thats alot of force pulling on them. I sure hope mine is ok being that it deflects a bit. :( I hope I dont have to get into some serious re fabbing the structure on it.

Farmer Ted
08-24-2005, 10:35 PM
I just tightened mine in the 87'.. Didn't even have to take the floor out.. :D

Wildman, you up for some Thursday or Friday night skiing if the weather holds out? (so we can Ops Check your pylon of course!)

bradamerry
08-24-2005, 10:38 PM
Friday............................

Farmer Ted
08-24-2005, 10:42 PM
Friday............................

sounds like a plan! I know H & T will be stoked to get out, they were bummed that they missed Greeson.

bradamerry
08-24-2005, 11:14 PM
sounds like a plan! I know H & T will be stoked to get out, they were bummed that they missed Greeson.
I will be laying YOUR HO down Friday!!!!!!!!!!

Farmer Ted
08-24-2005, 11:17 PM
I will be laying YOUR HO down Friday!!!!!!!!!!

What's wrong with your HO?

(did that come out right?)

bradamerry
08-24-2005, 11:25 PM
What's wrong with your HO?

(did that come out right?)
missing some screws holding the boot down. Must have worked loose riding in the boat, since it hasn't been used much this summer :noface: .

Farmer Ted
08-24-2005, 11:31 PM
missing some screws holding the boot down. Must have worked loose riding in the boat, since it hasn't been used much this summer :noface: .

You sure you're ready for the Mach1? She's a quick HO!!!!

bradamerry
08-24-2005, 11:32 PM
You sure you're ready for the Mach1? She's a quick HO!!!!
yes sir.................

08-25-2005, 10:25 AM
OK you two thread Bullies, I am the thread police and I am here to get this thread back on track. I have been following you for a while watching you threadjack back and forth. Please give me your license, registration, proof of insurance and step out of the car please. :purplaugh :dance:

Now reallly, does anyone know about this pylon flex issue?? I admit I am a bit concerned about it now that someone brought it up. Is it OK for the pylon to flex? or should it be completely rigid? :confused:
:popcorn:

UMP

rspiecha
08-25-2005, 11:08 AM
Mine is fine for pulling skiiers, but when I put the skylon on and tighen the cord. I get flex to the left and right as the wake boarder cuts back and forth. I would also like to know if this is normal.

Thanks

Rob

Diesel
08-25-2005, 11:57 AM
Mine is fine for pulling skiiers, but when I put the skylon on and tighen the cord. I get flex to the left and right as the wake boarder cuts back and forth. I would also like to know if this is normal.

Thanks

Rob

Yes it is normal. Just make sure you check and tighten the U-Bolts every season. They are stainless and will streach with use.

08-25-2005, 12:20 PM
so is it normal for side to side flex only with a skylon? or also for flexing back when pulling a slalom skier?? :confused:

MasterCrafting
08-25-2005, 11:14 PM
Our pylon is normally rock solid, but when we pull mulit lines it flexes alittle...nothing to really be worried about.

erkoehler
08-26-2005, 01:38 AM
Mine moves back and forth with the fly high on when you pull to the side. I think it is that the fly high isn't a perfect fit over the pylon, not that the pylon is loose. I already tightened my pylon once this year, I will now check it again since you guys have me worried.

JohnnyB
08-27-2005, 06:46 PM
Nice to know others have seen this same slight flexing....makes me nervous as hell!!!

With a wakeboarder tuggin' on it to get some pop off the wake, mine moves side-to-side a bit. I check/tighten the u-bolds a couple times a season.

I have considered beefing up the mounting like in the attached:

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=1855&highlight=pylon+iron

BIGBADBLUE
08-27-2005, 07:01 PM
Mine on my 94 205 is rock solid and does not flex. I do tighten it every spring but neer had any flex at all. Wonder why this changes from boat to boat. Is it a different pylon? My buddies '98 205 flexes quit a bit

08-29-2005, 12:44 PM
This IS interesting. and I agree, it makes me nervous as all hell too. :o YOu know, I was a dummy and forgot to check it when my buddy skied saturday night to see if it flexed at all. NOw that I think of it, the times I noticed it flexed were with larger skiers, all over 225 lbs. and it was on the start. When you yank them out of the water it would deflect a bit.
I imagine that we we skied 3 skiers behind it, that flexed it too.

Now that I tightened it, I will have to see if it deflects at all.

SO does anyone have any input on this??? I keep having fears that This could blossom into a headache from hell. I just envision having to install stainless steel braces or supports in to correct this if it IS a problem and gets worse..... :o or doe some figerglass work, or both. I dont know. Can anyone ease our minds if we are worrying over nothing...... :confused:

anybody know anything about these pylon issues?

UMP

Andyg
08-29-2005, 01:01 PM
Yesterday I was out with my 197 and I looked at the pylon while pulling my buddy out of the water on his slalom ski. He weighs about 220 lbs and there was a noticable reward flex of the pylon as he came out of the water. I didn't look after he got out of the water to see if there was any side to side flex while he was cutting. I would think the amount of flex I saw is normal for pulling a larger person out of the hole on a slalom ski.

08-30-2005, 02:02 PM
SO.....anybody else???? :confused:

rodltg2
08-30-2005, 02:10 PM
my 93 flexed and started creaking after the use of the skylon the first time. i have since sold the boat so i never had a chance to check if the bolts came loose. it scared me though since i was pulling a 230lbs skier the first time it did it. i dont think the extended pylons are good for it/

08-30-2005, 03:02 PM
HOw bout just regular skiing without a pylon? anyone have any deflection when a skier starts out??

After I see how it goes after I tightened the U bolts, I can try to tighten that cross member that they are connecting to.

I just want to know how much flex is normal. I dont want to worry over nothing, ya know.

BTW, I am a self proclaimed "professional worrier" I can succesfully worry about 5 things at once..... :o

UMP

rodltg2
08-30-2005, 03:06 PM
thats when i noticed it. it was after taking the skylon off and pulling a skier through the course.

east tx skier
08-30-2005, 03:43 PM
UMP, a little flex is fine. In fact, I believe it's designed to flex a bit. I've seen it happen in all models of ski boat.

Andyg
08-30-2005, 04:14 PM
Based on the pylon being a cantilvered beam of 36 inches long and 2 inches in diameter with a load of 250lbs and made from a stainless steel alloy I calculated the defelection of the pylon at the rope to be approximately 3/16". I would think that a 250 lb load is not unreasonable based on a 220 lb guy getting out of the water on a slalom ski. It would probably flex more than this as I used a straight 2 inch diameter pylon and pylons taper as they get towards the top.

I now have a headache after using my brain for the first time since college. I guess that 7 years of undergrad paid off.

east tx skier
08-30-2005, 04:29 PM
They must offer the math classes during those last three years?

08-30-2005, 06:18 PM
"Seven years of college down the drain!!!!" - John Blutosky "Bluto"

:uglyhamme

I have no idea how much mine flexed, but it did. I am curious to see if it does after I tightend the u bolts.

Thanks for easing my mind eastie!!! :o :worthy:

See, its not fun being a professional worrier. It wears on ya after a while...... :(

73SS
08-30-2005, 06:29 PM
You can pull a lot with center pylons. We regularly pull 3-5 people behind the boat. My estimate of the people I was pulling is about 800 lbs. We pull multiple skiers for pyramids and multiple tubers for "kill tubing". The pylon deflects, some at the pylon and some moving in between the stringers. It is easy to see the deflection between the pylon and the engine cover. My boat is old and the pylon is stainless steel. I have rebuild the retaining brackets between the stringers out of 3/8" stainless. My old bracket was aluminum and very cracked.

08-30-2005, 06:33 PM
Good info 73SS :toast:

seaforth
08-30-2005, 06:46 PM
Our boat is old, and has many quirks but the pylon is rock solid. I would think there should be no noticeable deflection.

Just my .002