PDA

View Full Version : fiberglass vs teak swim platform

Dan2060
06-25-2012, 09:30 AM
Do you have a fiberglass or teak swim platform? I have teak and like the durability, but maintenance is a challenge. I'm assuming fiberglass has less maintenance, but will get cracked, scratched, etc. What's your opinion?

Pictures of fiberglass decks up close would be great.

onejdgreen
06-25-2012, 09:36 AM
I have a teak platform and love the look and durability. I think it adds a touch more of "class" to it. This year I used a stain on it, instead of teak oil, and it is holding up really nice.

02ProstarSammyD
06-25-2012, 09:44 AM
I'm about to redo my fiberglass deck. Not sure if PO just beat up the deck bad but mines in pretty nasty shape. Lots of cracks and scratches. Would much rather have a teak deck

rspiecha
06-25-2012, 10:07 AM
Teak all the way. More durable to impacts and can be sanded and cleaned back to new looking.

Ironhorse
06-25-2012, 10:39 AM
Teak and love it.

itch2ski
06-25-2012, 10:53 AM
I prefer the look and feel of teak. If I had to have a fiberglass platform it would be covered in sea deck. It seems like the rubber from the factory is harder, less comfortable, and always leaves footprints on the upholstery.

whirli
06-25-2012, 11:00 AM
Love the look of Teak, always wanted on, i have a S&S with a fiberglass platform. Last week was putting on my ski while the engine was idling (warming up) with a S&S with a Teak platform, and holy loud.... I guess that is why they used fiberglas back then? Much quieter at idel?

east tx skier
06-25-2012, 11:11 AM
I think if the fiberglass gets cracked and scratched, then its maintenance factor would be a good deal higher than teak. I oil my platform once a year, use it for one of its intended purposes, i.e., standing on it with my ski on, and it always looks very nice.

scott023
06-25-2012, 11:39 AM
I have teak, and the whole family loves it. Easier on the knees for the younger kids, and like others have said, I love the look of it. I sand and oil ours once a year.

02ProstarSammyD
06-25-2012, 11:45 AM
and always leaves footprints on the upholstery.
I've found most of the problem with this is keeping the areas in the plastic crap cushion clean. I usually powerwash my boat at one of the do it yourself places on the way back from the lake since its en route and cheap insurance that crap doesn't dry up in there. First time you powerwash the deck you'll be amazed how much dirt/etc accumulates in it.

_fng_
06-25-2012, 12:27 PM
What do you guys prefer, slotted or solid teak? Or whatever was OEM

surfacetension
06-25-2012, 01:36 PM
I have teak and keep my boat in the barn I stain it everytime I use the boat and it looks like new , I think the teak looks very rich and classy

TN X-45
06-25-2012, 01:47 PM
I have fiberglass (flake) with the teak inlay. I am seriously considering changing to an all teak platform. The fiberglass is easily damaged/scratched. Mine was damaged by my previous dry stack storage place and I have an estimate for $800 to fix it b/c of the flake. I will likely take the $$ and buy a teak platform. Also, with teak, you get an easy transom guard.

amcmac
06-25-2012, 02:14 PM
I like the fiberglass with a seadek pad so my kids don't slip and fall. I usage a teak that needs redone, but what do you guys do for traction and still get it to look so good?

dfmaus
06-25-2012, 03:04 PM
I just replaced my older rubber covered teak platform(you can see it in the background) with a homemade replacement, sanded to 220 and 3 coats of teak oil, not slippery at all. I think the open slats help a lot with traction.

I like the fiberglass with a seadek pad so my kids don't slip and fall. I usage a teak that needs redone, but what do you guys do for traction and still get it to look so good?

kgrove
06-25-2012, 03:16 PM
I love my teak deck. I had a fiberglass deck before on my previous boat. I dont know I'd say it was any less maintenance as I had to have the rubber redone twice. My teak I only oil once per year and I don't sand it very much before oiling - just enough to take out up to the medium scratches. It will show some scratches afterward and doesn't look showroom quality, but it's not supposed to. As for being slippery - just don't sand teak as fine. Sanding with fine grit looks awesome but isn't practical. I think I go to about 100 or 120 grit and have even considered stopping at 80.

As you maybe can tell, I consider my deck a tool not a decoration. I oil it to make it last longer not to look good (although it does look good it's on accident).

amcmac
06-25-2012, 04:20 PM
I know there are hundreds of posts on this so please don't flame me for this question, but could someone point me in the direction of an oil to use that won't be slippery when wet or at least a good thread talking about this?

kgrove
06-25-2012, 06:59 PM
There is a great thread in the FAQ.

It's not the oil or finish that makes the teak slick, it's how fine a grade sand paper you use. If you sand it super fine like a piece of great furniture, it will be super slick. I'm sure there are good and bad brands, but I always opt for whatever teak oil is cheapest and/or most convenient to purchase.

rhsprostar
06-25-2012, 07:32 PM
Love the look of my teak platform but it is a real PITA to maintain. I put in HOURS every spring to get it looking right. That only lasts a month or so, then I have to recoat while it is on the boat....if I was ordering a new one it would be fiberglass with the seadeck covering. Super comfy and almost zero maintenance.
Now my boat is not a garage queen and gets used a lot in the summer for swimming and diving by the kids as well as me for skiing.....
If you don't leave your boat in the water for extended periods then I think teak would be okay as long as it is covered from the sun!!!
I just got a new cover this spring that covers the platform as well as the rear transom and the teak seems to be lasting better than in previous years......
................that being said.....I have a really nice teak platform for a 197 that I would consider trading for a white or blue fiberglass one.....:D
Any takers???

BrianT
06-25-2012, 07:53 PM
rhsprostar, I have a metal flake gunmetal one, and you are in Canada...... Easy to ship. It is off a X7 so the same as your boat.

rhsprostar
06-25-2012, 07:58 PM
rhsprostar, I have a metal flake gunmetal one, and you are in Canada...... Easy to ship. It is off a X7 so the same as your boat.

Lets see some pics! Are you selling or looking to trade?

c_craig
06-25-2012, 09:30 PM
Teak is the only way to go. Takes a beating from the skyski and heals up nice with a little oil. I curse it every spring, but it's the only way.

c_craig
06-25-2012, 09:40 PM
Teak is a must for us...

BrianT
06-25-2012, 10:39 PM
Lets see some pics! Are you selling or looking to trade?

Shoot me your e mail in PM and it will send you over some pictures.

duke
06-26-2012, 09:30 PM
anyone know approx how much and where to get the rubber teak inlay for a fiberglass platform? Looks good and cheaper than replacing!

Skyskiguy
06-26-2012, 10:15 PM
Ditto on the teak for Sky Skiers. I just picked up an 06 X30 and the only thing I don't like is the fiberglass deck. One of my next projects will be to build a teak deck with a slot for the Sky Ski strut to slide into.
The faux teak inlay for the fiberglass decks are found at SeaDek.

petermegan
06-26-2012, 11:04 PM
bought my 2000 prostar 190 with fibreglass swimdeck 18mths ago. Haven't had teak, but am impressed by the durability of what I have. If it gets a bit stained or grubby I give it a gentle steam/pressure clean, comes up almost new. 12year old with zero maintenance, probably speaks for itself.

AZX9
06-26-2012, 11:26 PM
My Malibu had a fiberglass platform and the edge was a little sharp on the bottom. I'm diggn the teak on the MC but I can tell its going to be a maintenance item. That's not an issue though.

Cobra Rob
06-26-2012, 11:44 PM
I am thinking about building a teak platform that is a tad bit smaller for surfing.

Not sure I will have the free time with all of the traveling I am doing lately. Anyone know a place that is capable of building one to slightly custom specs at a reasonable price? I am thinking a solid one over the slotted..