PDA

View Full Version : Another good impeller story

damaged442
06-25-2012, 10:09 AM
My cousin has a 92 Maristar 210 and stopped by yesterday afternoon with it. As she was pulling up to the dock, she was asking if I would check the boat out, as it was acting strangely. As it gets closer to the dock, I start to hear the high pitched overheat alarm. I grab the boat and look over the windshield to see the temp at about 210-220. After tying it up to the dock, I grab my trusty flathead screwdrivers that I have in my boat and off to work I go.

First, I figured I check the intake screen at the transmission cooler. That was surprisingly clean. It doesn't take a rocket surgeon to go to the next logical step. As I was taking the four screws off the impeller face plate, I was trying to picture in my head how bad it would look! I apologize in advance that I did not have a camera to take pics, but basically picture about 1/16 of an inch of vanes left, the rest were gone! Needless to say, it was not difficult to remove. :D

To get her back up and running, I grabbed the spare impeller from my glove box and stuffed it in. Put the face plate back on, started it up and temp gauge settles back down to a more reasonable 140. Just put the order in for a new impeller with gasket so it will be fixed properly for next weekend.

Using nice language, I made sure I reiterated the fact of the importance of the impeller. :mad: Besides oil, it's about the least expensive insurance we have! I hope the lesson has been learned.

Bottom line:

1. Replace impeller regularly
2. If the old one looks good, make sure it goes in your glove box as a spare (obviously her old one would NOT fit that category)

You NEVER know when you (or someone else) will need it!!

I miss the lake already, this week is going to SUCK!!

02ProstarSammyD
06-25-2012, 10:26 AM
Good job on having a spare. Most people don't which shocks me. You can change most impellers in no time with basic tools. Takes me about 15 min on my merc. 15min of work on the water in an emergency can save you a ton of cash