PDA

View Full Version : Dinged Prop

ldurnal
08-24-2005, 05:57 PM
What are the repercussions of running with a dinged up prop?

rodltg2
08-24-2005, 06:02 PM
your shaft seal can go,
could bend your shaft too

AirJunky
08-24-2005, 06:06 PM
Depends on how bad it is. Distaster like Rod mentions would have been caused by a big ding. A small nick, say the size of the tip of a pencil, should cause much more than a vibration....... for a while. Running it that way for ever could begin to wear on the shaft components.

6ballsisall
08-24-2005, 06:10 PM
Your asking for transmission problems.

MarkP
08-24-2005, 06:18 PM
Most likely if you don’t feel vibration when under power you “should” be ok. If you do feel a vibration you will not do yourself any favors by continuing to run it.

maristarman
08-24-2005, 06:25 PM
Even if you run it for a short period of time with the vibration there can be annoying little repercussions. I tore up my prop and had to limp in for about 20 minutes. During that time it was enough vibration to back out some of the nuts that hold the seatback cushions on.

Talked to the dealer about it and they said the only way to find out where they came from was to feel around the back of the seat area and try and find the small hole.

The techie at the dealer that actually had to do that a time or two warned me that the little fiberglass splinters that you get in your hand when you have to do that are really hard to get out (they break real easy) and easy to get infected.

Needless to say, I've got a few seatback bolts rolling around the glove box on the boat.

:noface:

NatesGr8
08-24-2005, 06:27 PM
Recently dinged my prop, well bent the tips of the prop. It wasn't much more vibration, but i felt a loss in hole shot. I just ordered up the acme 543 for the 30 day trial :headbang: If its not here by the weekend i'll run the bent prop cautiously, i wouldn't want to go too long with the vibration.

88 PS190
08-25-2005, 04:23 PM
second on the splinters... you basically need to cut the skin surface off of the top and then grab it with sharp tweezers.... I'd wear gloves if you stick your hand back in there.

Get yourself a new prop, and keep the old one as a spare so that if you really hit something you can get home. (along w/ a prop wrench, some cotter pins, and a couple of extra nuts.

jrhollow
08-25-2005, 04:32 PM
Everyone talks about these CNC props, do they make that much of a difference? I have an 03 X2 and am looking at getting another prop (the one I have has a few dings in it). At first I was just going to get another factory one, but after reading a few reviews I have rethought that. Any suggestions on what prop would work best for wakeboarding.

whitedog
08-25-2005, 07:59 PM
Check the market place I just put up a 3 blade stainless recently reconditioned 13x13 1" shaft. Was my fourth prop, I run 4 blade props now and am cleaning out the shed. Asking $60.00 shipped to your door. PM me for more info.

erkoehler
08-25-2005, 08:06 PM
Would that work on a 1996 MC PS 190? I may be interested.....