PDA

View Full Version : Teak deck falls off

mess33
06-25-2012, 01:05 AM
I own a PS-214 setup with hard tanks. We were wakesurfing today and the teak deck ripped off. All 12 stainless woodscrews pulled out. The port tank and the forward tank were full. I also had 1600lbs of fatsacks in the boat. I suspect the deck was not designed to take the torque. We have been surfing for 3 years with this set-up and never had a problem. What is the best solution to re-attach the deck? I either need wider and longer screws to fit the stripped out holes or I need to go with round head bolts right through the top of the teak and through the aluminum plate underneath. Any suggestions?

Philscbx
06-25-2012, 05:49 AM
go with round head bolts right through the top of the teak and through the aluminum plate underneath
I would go this route - using at least 4 SS bolts in each mount w/nyloc nuts at the outer positions.

Fill in between with larger/longer SS screws.
If you can find them round head Torx Drive - much easier to drive.

Jerseydave
06-25-2012, 08:07 AM
You may want to consider modifying your teak platform, making it less wide so there is less water pressure against it while surfing. It may improve your wake shape as well.

Or just remove it while surfing.

jmw
06-25-2012, 08:19 AM
I've got an 09 214v I purchased this year and I’m pretty certain the platform came off mine at some point. I can see the holes from the previous screws. The brackets had enough play in them to spread them apart and reattach which is what they did on mine. I've seen lots of talk about people drilling the brackets giving the platform more angle also.

mess33
06-25-2012, 10:42 AM
I considered just removing it but for safety reasons i like having the deck there. Hate to see the kids that close to the boat without the deck on. My dealer suggested recessing bolts from the top and at some point possibly reshaping the deck for a better wake.

JRW160
06-25-2012, 12:05 PM
I had the screws on one side of my platform come out last weekend. I filled the holes with marine epoxy and then drilled small pilot holes and put the screws back in. It seemed to be fine when we had the boat out yesterday.

mallees
06-26-2012, 12:20 AM
I just drilled extra holes in my brackets, then put new screws in fresh parts of the deck.

gts-20
06-26-2012, 12:50 PM
We have a PS214 with the ballast system as well. The screws from our teak platform came loose on a very rough day out on the lake. After we put the boat on the trailer, there were only two left holding the platform on. Our dealer used larger screws in the existing holes, and drilled new holes in the brackets and added additional screws. They told us that they hear this alot with the 214 due to the size of the platform and how low it sits to the water. We don't surf, but I could see where the load on the platform at surf speeds/ballast weight would put a lot of stress on it.

mess33
06-29-2012, 10:18 AM
Thanks for the help everyone. I ran 4 bolts all the way through the deck and attached them to the brackets and countersunk the holes on tp of the deck. I then used 8 larger screws from the bottom in the same holes and it is holding excellent.

nauti-dreamer
06-29-2012, 11:44 AM
Just out of curiosity....was anyone surfing at the time it fell off? What was the Look on their face?

mess33
07-09-2012, 11:51 PM
My son was surfing. He had just gotten up and had not yet worked his way into the curl or pitched the rope so the deck missed him. He and everyone in the boat were saying WTH.

Philscbx
07-10-2012, 03:50 AM
Yeah, typical comment when wing comes off in flight.

Impact if made, would be quite serious.
Guess I'll be updating the inspection list, even though not used in that mode, yet.