PDA

View Full Version : New trailer tires

Retoxtony
06-25-2012, 12:24 AM
Looks like its time for new trailer tires and I was wondering where you guys recommend buying them. I was planning on ordering them and installing them myself but I'm not having much luck finding them online. Any place I should be looking? Also, any tires I should be staying away from?

Jerseydave
06-25-2012, 08:14 AM
I bought mine from discount tire direct....Carlisle 215/75R14. I have them on both of my trailers, so far so good.

I had many problems with Goodyear Marathon tires, belt separations. I have a feeling there were some bad runs on those tires in 2004-2005. I still have 2 that are newer and they have been fine.

thatsmrmastercraft on here sells tires/wheels......you may want to reach out to him for a quote.

Hrkdrivr
06-25-2012, 08:20 AM
I bought mine from discount tire direct....Carlisle 215/75R14. I have them on both of my trailers, so far so good.

I had many problems with Goodyear Marathon tires, belt separations. I have a feeling there were some bad runs on those tires in 2004-2005. I still have 2 that are newer and they have been fine.

thatsmrmastercraft on here sells tires/wheels......you may want to reach out to him for a quote.

What he said. I replaced one or two Marathons due to failures before I realized they might have had a bad run. Eventually replaced them all with Marathons and haven't had any more problems, but if I had it to do again, I'd go with a different manufacturer and go up to a "D" load rating.

Ironhorse
06-25-2012, 08:23 AM
I believe Mr Mastercraft on this forum is your go to guy when it comes to tires.

Ski-me
06-25-2012, 08:54 AM

Same thing here.....even used Discount Tire too!

Just get "ST" rated tires for trailers.

damaged442
06-25-2012, 09:23 AM
I got mine through Dunn Tire, and they are also Carlisle. I got them already mounted on the white spoke rims that look just like the original rims. I've had them three years and so far, so good. I know you can get them through Overton's/Gander Mountain and others too. Trailer tires always seem to be a touchy subject around here. There are never any happy stories about them, that's for sure. Like the old saying goes, "When you do good, no one remembers. When you do bad, no one forgets."

rspiecha
06-25-2012, 09:52 AM
Maxxis or Kumho trailer tires have lasted. Kumho has a D rated 15 inch tire for the tandem guys.

Rob

thatsmrmastercraft
06-25-2012, 09:56 AM
Selling tires, or anything for that matter, across the border can be difficult and costly. Retoxtony......where in Canada are you?

Retoxtony
06-25-2012, 03:57 PM
Selling tires, or anything for that matter, across the border can be difficult and costly. Retoxtony......where in Canada are you?

i'm in southern saskatchewan. I'll probably get them shipped to Sweetgrass, Montana and pick them up there. I finally found where Discount tire keeps trailer tires on their site so i might just get the carlisle tires they sell and order new truck tires while i'm at it. If i'm going to drive to the border i might aswell make it worth the gas money.