PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Sending unit float doesn't float

Red 08 Xstar
06-24-2012, 11:45 PM
So my fuel gauge recently stopped working. After some testing I found the problem is due to the fact that the float on the sending unit will not float in gas. It floats fine in water, just not in gas. Anybody else had this problem? If so, what was the fix? The sender is made by Royce Industries. I didn't see any place on their website to order a replacement float.

krutzmart
06-26-2012, 10:52 AM
I havn't had the fuel sending unit go out but have had the ballast sending units go out.
They read full when its empty and empty when its full. IDK
but you can always tell when they are full and empyt of course.
Gas on the other hand, full not a problem, empty may be .....

JimN
06-26-2012, 11:13 AM
So my fuel gauge recently stopped working. After some testing I found the problem is due to the fact that the float on the sending unit will not float in gas. It floats fine in water, just not in gas. Anybody else had this problem? If so, what was the fix? The sender is made by Royce Industries. I didn't see any place on their website to order a replacement float.

They're not going to make floats available as a separate item- it's not something they would sell in sufficient quantities to make it worth their time/money.

Got a photo? Never seen a float that didn't. What is it made of?

Jorski
06-26-2012, 11:28 AM
It would float in both fluids, or sink in both fluids....density is very close.

In my unit, the float was in a tube, and was getting stuck. The solution was to shave a little off of the foam float that held the magnets.

Don't know if that's the type of float that you have....need pics.

JimN
06-26-2012, 11:35 AM
It would float in both fluids, or sink in both fluids....density is very close.

In my unit, the float was in a tube, and was getting stuck. The solution was to shave a little off of the foam float that held the magnets.

Don't know if that's the type of float that you have....need pics.

The density isn't that close. Gas is about 6 lb/gallon and water is over 8 lb/gallon unless either has been adulterated, although I haven't seen unadulterated gas in a long time.

I have to wonder if the float was degraded by ethanol or something else.

TNPIG
06-26-2012, 11:49 AM
Fuel gauge not working in my 84 S&S either. Could someone tell me where to find the sending unit? Thanks

JimN
06-26-2012, 04:53 PM
Fuel gauge not working in my 84 S&S either. Could someone tell me where to find the sending unit? Thanks

In the tank. Look on top.

mikeg205
06-26-2012, 04:55 PM
wwww.wemausa.com for sending units.

Troop
06-28-2012, 11:37 AM
anyone know what the bolts are torqued to??

JimN
06-28-2012, 07:49 PM
anyone know what the bolts are torqued to??

Snug enough that ot won't leak. You probably won't find a torque spec.

Jeff Lyman
06-28-2012, 08:01 PM
I took mine apart on my 93 Prostar. I lightly sanded the float until it would slide up and down easly then re-glued the magnets. Working fine since spring but got stuck at full once. Took a screw driver handle and tapped on the top of the sending unit and it came loose.

Troop
06-29-2012, 01:09 AM
Thank you..

Red 08 Xstar
07-08-2012, 10:31 PM
In case any body else ever has this problem, I thought I would post my fix. I let the sending unit sit out on my workbench for 2 weeks, put it back in the tank and it works like new again. I guess it just needed to dry out.

panther
07-09-2012, 12:37 AM
When I was having problem with my gauge and sending unit, I found a magnet had dislodge from the float in the sending unit (ISS Pro). I found my float moved without any resistance within the tube. I used epoxy to attach the magnet back inside the float, put the sending unit back together and it checked out okay with a multimeter. Later, found the gauge to be bad and replaced it.

gambier
09-04-2014, 03:20 PM
Reviving this thready, my 08 X-35 fuel gauge has been showing empty since I bought it this year. Took the sender out and it works fine, drives the gauge as you move the float up and down. Float moves nice and freely. It's definitely that the float won't float anymore per the OPs problem.

Red - is yours still working after a couple years?

I looked on skidim and only saw two-wire versions - I have a three wire sender. Anyone replaced theirs?

Even better, anyone find a float only?

GT500 MC
09-04-2014, 06:40 PM
Reviving this thready, my 08 X-35 fuel gauge has been showing empty since I bought it this year. Took the sender out and it works fine, drives the gauge as you move the float up and down. Float moves nice and freely. It's definitely that the float won't float anymore per the OPs problem.

Red - is yours still working after a couple years?

I looked on skidim and only saw two-wire versions - I have a three wire sender. Anyone replaced theirs?

Even better, anyone find a float only?

I had this problem last year (2010 mcx). Just went to dealer and bought a new fuel float. They said it was fairly common problem. Little piece of rubber was $25 iirc. Easy to change once you got to it.

gambier
09-04-2014, 07:19 PM
Excellent! Glad to hear you can just buy the float. I'll call the local dealer.