PDA

View Full Version : Shipping boats

RkyMtnPhan
06-24-2012, 08:08 PM
I just bought a 1980 stars and stripes with a trailer, and now I need to figure out how to get it across the country. I've registered with uship.com, does anyone know of any other companies?

dobber
06-24-2012, 08:57 PM
There is someone on screamandfly that will transport your boat. He might be a little more than uship, but he will be the only one towing your boat. Not sure that's the case with uship.

toolz
06-24-2012, 09:07 PM
I've used Uship several times (nothing as big as a boat) and have had very good luck. Just be careful- never put money up front, and check out the shipper as much as you can.

RkyMtnPhan
06-24-2012, 09:31 PM
The best offer I've gotten on uship is $1800 to ship the boat from rochester, ny to denver, co. That's about half of what I paid for the boat.

Ski-me
06-24-2012, 09:47 PM
I Paid $950 from uship from carson city Nevada to Colorado springs, CO for a reference. Just pay attention to their feedback and be sure they have insurance. I also had my boat added to our policy before it was shipped just as a precaution.

Wired_Right
06-25-2012, 02:33 AM
I just bought a 1980 stars and stripes with a trailer, and now I need to figure out how to get it across the country. I've registered with uship.com, does anyone know of any other companies?

Where is the pick up and drop off of the boat?

kgrove
06-25-2012, 03:22 AM
I've always heard $1 per mile as a good rule of thumb for shipping costs, but I'm sure it varies especially as fuel prices change. Before you ship make sure thr trailer is in good mechanical condition (unless the trailer will be on a flatbed). If they have to deal with flat tires etc I'm sure they would ding you for some major extra charges.

Ski-me
06-25-2012, 09:58 AM
I've always heard $1 per mile as a good rule of thumb for shipping costs, but I'm sure it varies especially as fuel prices change. Before you ship make sure thr trailer is in good mechanical condition (unless the trailer will be on a flatbed). If they have to deal with flat tires etc I'm sure they would ding you for some major extra charges.

My guy towed it behind his truck and he was very concerned that the trailer was in good condition. Wanted to know the condition of the tires before the haul. Also wanted to be sure there was a spare tire. He kept checking the wheel bearing heat throughout the trip just because no one knew the history of the maintenance on the trailer. If the guy doesn't ask about these things before hauling....may not be the right guy. :(

RkyMtnPhan
06-25-2012, 02:05 PM
Thanks. The pickup is near rochester, ny and the dropoff is denver, co.

cpr05xtr
06-25-2012, 02:24 PM
1800 is going to be close to what anyone would charge. Not a bad deal.

deminimis
06-25-2012, 04:27 PM
$1800 seems reasonable. I have shipped some bikes and those run a good $800. Once looked into shipping a Sportsmobile and that was around $1800, so I'd say you're in the ballpark.

10ptmust
06-27-2012, 02:03 AM
I used Uship to get my boat from Sacramento to Seattle. I concur with previous advice; don't pay upfront, check the feedback, verify their insurance, add to your insurance prior to shipment.