PDA

View Full Version : Shaft removal, V-drive

Hrkdrivr
06-24-2012, 03:06 PM
The thread I started about my prop strike has withered away a little...

Need advice on how to remove the prop shaft. First of all, is .005" too much runout at the prop seat? Runout in front of the strut is .002".

If it IS too much, how to I get the shaft out of the seal? Can I just unbolt the coupler and pull the shaft out the back? I can't find any videos or pictures of the install/removal. I have the seal pictured here:

jmw
06-25-2012, 12:59 AM
I posted on your other thread and I would not pull the shaft at this point. If you do end up removing the shaft, it's almost guaranteed that you will need a puller to remove the shaft from the coupler. Look at Too-Tall's thread http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=44049&highlight=motor+blown+1008&page=5

Tom023
06-25-2012, 02:31 PM
The shaft should pull out of that seal easily, but that is really not your problem. Your issue comes when trying to install the shaft back through the OJ dripless seal. The "graphite" seals inside are very susceptible to damage from the sharp edges on the end of the shart. OJ has a plastic cap to fit over the shaft to minimize the damage, but you still need good access to the seal to hold it in position as the shaft is slid through, otherwise you run the risk of crushing or disloding the seals. It's not a simple matter of just pushing the shaft up through the shaft log. OJ also has a special lubricant to use when installing the shaft. I'm speaking from experience on this having destroyed the first seal I had.

Hrkdrivr
06-25-2012, 02:48 PM
I posted on your other thread and I would not pull the shaft at this point. If you do end up removing the shaft, it's almost guaranteed that you will need a puller to remove the shaft from the coupler. Look at Too-Tall's thread http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=44049&highlight=motor+blown+1008&page=5

I've had the coupler loosened up already when trying to get the prop off so I think I have that problem solved; the end of the prop shaft was moving back and forth in the coupler...we'll see!

In any case, I'm going to mount the new prop and dunk the boat into the water and see if the vibration is still there...

Hrkdrivr
06-25-2012, 02:51 PM
The shaft should pull out of that seal easily, but that is really not your problem. Your issue comes when trying to install the shaft back through the OJ dripless seal. The "graphite" seals inside are very susceptible to damage from the sharp edges on the end of the shart. OJ has a plastic cap to fit over the shaft to minimize the damage, but you still need good access to the seal to hold it in position as the shaft is slid through, otherwise you run the risk of crushing or disloding the seals. It's not a simple matter of just pushing the shaft up through the shaft log. OJ also has a special lubricant to use when installing the shaft. I'm speaking from experience on this having destroyed the first seal I had.

Figures, it's never easy, is it?

I've been e-mailing with Eric at OJ and he said to cover the splines with electrical tape to protect the seals. Good access to the seal is something I most definitely don't have. I might have to stand on my head while holding the seal and have someone else feed it through from the outside. That is if I have to pull it...hopefully the new prop will be the fix.