PDA

View Full Version : Starter Problem Towed in by a Sea Doo!!!

zpacheco
06-24-2012, 02:51 PM
Was on the lake yesterday when my starter decided to quit. I could hear the bendix and test the power going to the starter from the solenoid it was where it should be. Pulled the starter off after getting towed in by a Sea Doo.... Nothing more embarrassing! got it tested today and it was shot. After calling and going to every auto parts store in Little Rock trying to find one, thinking this would be an easy fix. I couldn't find one anywhere! So, I'm resorting to ordering one online. I have a 1994 maristar with the 350 Indmar engine in it.

Side note I pulled the starter apart to clean it and look for the problem and I saw wires that were ripped apart rusting on the magnets and broken plastic pieces not to mention someone tried putting electrical tape in it. Who ever owned this boat before looked like they completely rigged this thing up. I posted in a previous thread about hard starts I sometimes have and I feel like i found the culprit.

This is the one skidim.com recommends: http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RA122009
Just that doesnt look anything like the one I got.

mikeg205
06-24-2012, 03:24 PM
Is yours a top mount starter? If its like my bottom mount..Mine looks like this.

http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RF122015

zpacheco
06-24-2012, 03:32 PM
I'm pretty sure mine is top mount. Posting a picture of it now. I don't really understand why they call it top mount though... But you can see that mine has the guard for the gear and everything and the skidim recommended one doesn't. It just looks very different and I want to make sure I buy the right part.

zpacheco
06-24-2012, 03:39 PM
Here is another picture, in this one you can tell that someone even broke the housing that the bolt goes in and it was just resting in there. I don't know how that could of happened. Just know I'm eager to get back on the water and enjoy the time before I go back to school.

mikeg205
06-24-2012, 04:07 PM
The orientation seems right...but this seems a better visual match...

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=New-Inboard-Starter-for-New-Mercruiser-OMC&i=27375DS&aID=601M6&merchID=4006

but spec's are off

Standard clockwise rotation. Top-mount rear entry starter for opposite rotation. Mercruiser-built 4-cylinder 165/170/180/190/485/488. Will not replace nonstarter-mounted solenoids.
Mercruiser:
50-72550A2
50-79604A3
50-97499A2
OMC:
Crusader: 42090
PleasureCraft: RA122008

Unless previous owner put in wrong starter....

zpacheco
06-24-2012, 04:08 PM
That one is for clockwise rotation. I think I have counterclockwise rotation.

mikeg205
06-24-2012, 04:20 PM
You may want to try Call BAWS 813-996-2297 - to make sure you get the right part...skidim.com is very good too.

zpacheco
06-24-2012, 04:24 PM
At this point there is no telling what the PO did to this starter. I'm just glad I finally found it and hopefully I can get it fixed soon! Missing a day out on the lake right now because I'm confined to the driveway, with a dead boat!!! And of course none of the marine places around here open until tuesday. will be calling skidim in the morning.

mikeg205
06-24-2012, 04:26 PM
At this point there is no telling what the PO did to this starter. I'm just glad I finally found it and hopefully I can get it fixed soon! Missing a day out on the lake right now because I'm confined to the driveway, with a dead boat!!! And of course none of the marine places around here open until tuesday. will be calling skidim in the morning.

no the feeling...beautiful day can't go out either... :(... self inflicted party wound... :)

Philscbx
06-24-2012, 05:07 PM
Man, they hacked the heck out of that starter.
Almost looks like it fell off once hitting the flywheel.

May not qualify for a core if needed.
Starters go through tough duty - why I make sure they get removed in fall/
cleaned out of metal grindings from the brushes / & get lubed.

zpacheco
06-24-2012, 05:39 PM
I will definitely be doing that in the future. I have owned the boat for 2 years and just took a look at the starter for the first time. I took it apart and the insides were just obliterated, honestly surprised it lasted as long as it did.

JimN
06-24-2012, 06:01 PM
Was on the lake yesterday when my starter decided to quit. I could hear the bendix and test the power going to the starter from the solenoid it was where it should be. Pulled the starter off after getting towed in by a Sea Doo.... Nothing more embarrassing! got it tested today and it was shot. After calling and going to every auto parts store in Little Rock trying to find one, thinking this would be an easy fix. I couldn't find one anywhere! So, I'm resorting to ordering one online. I have a 1994 maristar with the 350 Indmar engine in it.

Side note I pulled the starter apart to clean it and look for the problem and I saw wires that were ripped apart rusting on the magnets and broken plastic pieces not to mention someone tried putting electrical tape in it. Who ever owned this boat before looked like they completely rigged this thing up. I posted in a previous thread about hard starts I sometimes have and I feel like i found the culprit.

This is the one skidim.com recommends: http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RA122009
Just that doesnt look anything like the one I got.

FYI- normal maintenance calls for the Bendix to be inspected and lubed annually. OTOH, if it lasted this long, that's not bad.

I get starters and alternators from a local shop that rebuilds them. You should have at least one shop near you that does the same. Look under Auto Electric Rebuilders in the phone book, or online.

zpacheco
06-24-2012, 06:11 PM
The bendix wasn't the problem it was the motor inside the starter that someone tried to repair before and just did not do a good job. From everything I have looked at the starter brush plate was completely rigged up. Do you recommend me getting the current one rebuilt? or just buying one they have? do they typically have marine starters at these places?

JimN
06-24-2012, 07:04 PM
The bendix wasn't the problem it was the motor inside the starter that someone tried to repair before and just did not do a good job. From everything I have looked at the starter brush plate was completely rigged up. Do you recommend me getting the current one rebuilt? or just buying one they have? do they typically have marine starters at these places?

When I go for a starter or alternator, they always have the same ones in stock because they know it's a common part number and if they need to make it comply with Coast Guard regs, they have the parts for that, too. If your local shop(s) don't have something already to go, they can/should be able to rebuild it as long as what needs to stay is in good condition.

If you can't fond a shop easily, call a boat dealer or used car dealer to see who they go to for these. Neither can afford to have bad ones, so it should be a safe bet.

zpacheco
06-24-2012, 07:58 PM
Thanks Jim! Will look tomorrow. Really hoping to try and get to use the new tower befor I go out of town for work.

jmw
06-25-2012, 08:01 AM
I'm sure that others are around but my dad was a mechanic and used Jacksonville Starter & Generator, (501) 982-8938 304 E Main St, Jacksonville, AR 72076 (Corner of Main & Oak, Jacksonville AR ) this was 20 years ago, so since they are still around you would hope they do decent work. Not sure about rebuilding your starter with he housing being busted etc but Jim is correct they usually have spares. If you take your starter with you they can probably tell you which way it turns.

JimN
06-25-2012, 08:07 AM
The 5.7L cast iron engine has been around since 1954, so I think enough have been scrapped/salvaged to leave a huge number of starters for the re-manufacturing industry to be pretty well set for a long time.