PDA

View Full Version : Looking at 2001 x-star.... New tranny cooler lines?

brettmcox
06-24-2012, 10:07 AM
I am looking at a 01 x star and i was told the tranny cooler libes just got replaced. Boat is at a dealer and they got it with water in the tranny, they pumped it out, changed the line, ran it and pumped it out again... if there is no water in it now, should i have 2nd quesses about the boat?

sheckski
06-25-2012, 07:20 AM
Water in tranny suggests the seals are gone. Only way to replace is pull tranny. Only way to pull granny is pull engine. Big job.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

jmw
06-25-2012, 09:43 AM
I practically put myself through college rebuilding flood cars and some people think it's the end of the world if water gets in the motor or transmission but generally if you catch it quickly and change all the fluids it's not a problem. You do need to know why it had water in the transmission, it could leak in from seals, if enough water was in the boat from rain, flood, sinking, etc it could have leaked in from the vent. I think the biggest thing is how long was the water in there and how much was it run with water in the tranny. If it truly is fixed, and it runs good, you are probably fine. I would take it out for a long water test and check the fluid before and after. It will turn milky looking if water is getting in the transmission. Also, it usually takes flushing out the system several times to get it completely clear, I dont think I've ever seen one that had a considerable amount of water in it come clear after only 2 flushes. It will get a little better each time... Since they are disclosing it that is good sign and it very well may be fixed.

brettmcox
06-25-2012, 10:04 AM
thanks all! The boat is a bank repo. At a car dealer lot. The main sellers are boarders that got it at to us it for the summer.
KEY POINT-- center bag is missing.... My guess is..... Center bag leaked at some point... Water got into tranny from vent.... It was going to get repoed, never flushed tranny....

The dealer is going to meet me at the lake and test drive it. I hate to have him drive 2.5.hours, on a 50/50 shot to sell.

Again thanks all for input...
I guess it will be ok... If he has been using for a few weeks....