PDA

View Full Version : Open Water Swim League?

BriEOD
06-24-2012, 01:16 AM
I'm just curious if anyone else participates in anything such as this?

We are very lucky and live near Annapolis, MD on the Severn River. We have a Severn River Swim League in which we have six different neighborhoods and perhaps 100 participants. All of the meets are held in the river. Therefore, if you are swimming the 50M freestyle you may have boat wakes rolling over you in the lanes. Each of the different neighborhoods has their own river swim area with lanes, starting blocks, etc. We have a centrally-managed digital timer with push button stoppers. This league has been going on for years and we have participants in many different categories. We separate by sex and begin at under 6 and than in increments of 2 years (under 8, under 10, etc) all the way until under 18. After that, we have an unlimited category (any aged adult). It is really a lot of fun and rather than being on a team, your team is your neighborhood. It is much different than swimming in a clear and calm swimming pool.

Here is a shot from yesterday. My son, Cody, is in the orange cap getting ready to do the under 8, 50M freestyle.

BriEOD
06-24-2012, 01:21 AM
You can see the starting lanes block and lanes in this shot. This is yesterday at Epping Forest.

BriEOD
06-24-2012, 01:35 AM
Here is our own setup. A few of the swim lanes aren't in. We have four lanes normally. Yes, also we sort of cheat in our neighborhood. What you see is our 1 million gallon artesian well-fed spring water pond adjacent to the Severn River. We get these bloody sea nettles (jelly fish) towards the later half of the summer. Therefore, when the meet is in our hood we do it in the pond vice the river. The Severn is brackish and we are up at the head of the river so it is much more fresh than salt.

BriEOD
06-24-2012, 01:39 AM
Here is Cody last year at one of our home meets.

Anyway, I'm just curious if anyone else participates in a swimming league not in a concrete pool?

HRC
06-25-2012, 08:02 AM
That's a cool idea. While I've never been in a league, I used to compete in triathlons and have swam in open waters.
Nice pictures too.

d2jp
06-25-2012, 08:54 AM
Can't speak from personal experience, but have been involved in/around competitive swimming for years. Open water swimming is becoming a bigger part of the local USA Swimming sanctioned age group teams. More meets available, more coaches interested in it. Great to see active kids, and a nice set-up you have there!

BriEOD
06-26-2012, 01:10 AM
Thanks for the comments guys. We enjoy it and yes, we are very lucky to have some fantastic amentities for our kids.

east tx skier
06-26-2012, 11:40 AM
Brian, I can't believe how big Cody has gotten.

BriEOD
06-26-2012, 12:59 PM
Doug, it seems like he was born yesterday. He will be 8 in September and is heading into the second grade. I'm sure I'll soon be typing you a note that he is shaving and getting his driver's liscense. Where does the time go?

That said, he is happy and healthy. He is really enjoying where we live and all of the activities such as the swim and dive league. He, and his neighborhood pals, have no idea how lucky and fortunate they are.

I hope all is well with you, Amy, Cameron, and ... (I'm drawing a blank on your youngest's name -- mea culpa).

B

east tx skier
06-26-2012, 01:31 PM
We're all great. Cameron and Andrew are growing like weeds. So different, but definitely brothers. Getting the new lake house into shape and will be spending more time down there soon. Cameron can't wait. Andrew loves the boat, but could care less about riding behind it ... for now.

BriEOD
06-26-2012, 01:46 PM
Andrew! That's right...excuse my Alzheimers.

The lake house sounds fantastic. I'm glad you all are getting to spend some good quality time down on the water.

We are totally spoiled now being on the water. I can't imagine going back to having to trailer to a public ramp.

gatorguy
06-26-2012, 01:50 PM
That looks like a lot of fun. I've lived in a bunch of different places, and the areas with active neighborhoods have always been the best. I like doing things with the people I live around. I've been other places where I didn't even know the people in my own back yard. I'm the kind of guy that will go out of my way to meet you too. In fact I make it a habit of meeting everyone in my neighborhood with a DD or VD regardless of the make. People always look at you a little funny as you are walking in their driveway, but usually I can't get them to shut up once they start talking boats.

shepherd
06-28-2012, 04:46 PM
Here is our own setup. A few of the swim lanes aren't in. We have four lanes normally. Yes, also we sort of cheat in our neighborhood. What you see is our 1 million gallon artesian well-fed spring water pond adjacent to the Severn River. We get these bloody sea nettles (jelly fish) towards the later half of the summer. Therefore, when the meet is in our hood we do it in the pond vice the river. The Severn is brackish and we are up at the head of the river so it is much more fresh than salt.

Yes, I was going to ask if you had to deal with the sea nettles! Great idea with the pond. What do the other communities do? Are they further up the river where the sea nettles don't go?

Looks like a lot of fun for the kids. I have an 8 y.o. nephew up in MD who can barely dog paddle, and has no interest in towed watersports (he had a bad experience in a toob behind an MC once... :rolleyes:). It would be nice to see him get into something like that.

BriEOD
06-29-2012, 03:12 AM
Typically, the nettles don't start showing up until the back end of the summer. Factors such as how much rain we get in the spring and how hot the summer is impact how soon they arrive. As you probably know, they like warm water with high salinity. I live at the very top of the Severn and they start to show up at the end of July. The Severn, as is most the Chesapeake Bay region, is brackish. Some people just deal with the bloody things. I bought us all the lycra suits (looks like a wet suit but is really thin and SCUBA divers use them).

As for swimming, some neighborhoods surround their swimming area with a very tightly woven net. But ultimately, you're going to see them and they suck. Therefore, the pond is brilliant, plus it is spring-fed fresh water and not full of run-off.

Where in MD is your nephew?

shepherd
06-29-2012, 05:37 PM
Nephew is in the Silver Spring area. The sea nettles are the scourge of the Chesapeake. The hottest time of the year, and you can't jump in the water to cool off without getting stung. :mad:

Sometimes I miss the Chesapeake Bay, but then I remember those little bastards. Late spring, before they come out, is pretty nice though.

BriEOD
06-30-2012, 12:59 AM
Like any body of water, there are pros and cons. We manage it as best we can and continue to enjoy the water from April until November. I have no real complaints.