PDA

View Full Version : Stuffing box

LaRue
06-23-2012, 11:32 AM
Added third cord last week to the two cords i added last year in an effort to slow drip rate. Managed to adjust to a drip rate of 1/8 seconds. After an hour of boating drip rate had increased to 1/3 seconds but nut and shaft were quite warm if not hot.

Not sure if that is normal. Suggestions or thoughts?

-V-
06-23-2012, 01:32 PM
When I redid mine, I was able to put all four in using something to push each strand all the way back. As of now, my drip rate is about 1 drip every ten seconds and my nut still feels hot. I am using the gortex rope packing. Not to sure this is normal but at least the nut is not glowing. I am also interested in knowing if this is normal or not.

LaRue
06-24-2012, 10:06 AM
Bump...

1redTA
06-24-2012, 10:28 AM
I got three in pretty easy, goretex as well. The shaft is warm with a drip every 8-10. Warm to me is being able to hold my hand on the nut, hot to me is not being able to hold my hand on the nut :-) no I will not put my hands on any one else nuts.

d2jp
06-24-2012, 10:38 AM
I replaced mine with goretex a few weeks ago and after breaking in, couldn't really get it to drip at all. It never got 'hot', just warm. However after reading up on the subject I decided that some drip was better than none. I re-adjusted to get a very small drip rate, maybe every 10-15 seconds.

Brian B
06-24-2012, 06:17 PM
What wrenches are you guys using and where did you get them?

Thanks