PDA

View Full Version : Tachometer not working. 94 PS 205

Spence
06-23-2012, 02:20 AM
Hey guys. Tons of useful info on here but I can't find the thread that i saw before suggesting where to source parts from. All dash lights and gauges work except for tach needle. Connections on back of gauge appear to be fine. Is a replacement tach needed and where can I get one? Anything to troubleshoot before I deem it ruined? I assume if the tach is bad then my hour meter (which still works fine) will need to be replaced with a fresh one and I will have I run the hours up manually as described in a recent post?

Thanks for any help!

east tx skier
06-24-2012, 01:15 PM
Is it registering any rpm at all, i.e., it's off by a couplevof hundred, or is it dead? On either event, try this. Remove the tach, look Saint the back for a switch that says 8 cyl, 6 cult, etc. If it's there, turn it back and forth throughout the range several times and set it back to 8 CTO. See if that helps. Apart from that or a loose wire, I got nothing.

mikeg205
06-24-2012, 01:26 PM
Trace the tach connection wires back to the ecm...check all connections away from ECM as well. JMC...or JimN may have better advice.

Spence
07-02-2012, 01:53 AM
Is it registering any rpm at all, i.e., it's off by a couplevof hundred, or is it dead? On either event, try this. Remove the tach, look Saint the back for a switch that says 8 cyl, 6 cult, etc. If it's there, turn it back and forth throughout the range several times and set it back to 8 CTO. See if that helps. Apart from that or a loose wire, I got nothing.

Not registering at all. Didn't find a cyl switch on the back. No luck on finding any wiring issues so far. If it is dead, any advice on where to source one from?

mikeg205
07-02-2012, 08:32 AM
Maybe this one will work... http://greatlakesskipper.com/product/56_76_78-boat-gauges-inboardoutboard-tachs/29942-tg-faria-faria-tch045a-inboard-outboard-boat-tachometer-gauge-w-hour-meter.html

I know Faria has a number of gauges that fit our time period mastercrafts.

Spence
07-27-2012, 11:39 AM
There was a bad wire, replaced it all is well.