PDA

View Full Version : Worth putting this on?

imracin68j
06-23-2012, 01:04 AM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Edelbrock-Performer-RPM-Intake-Manifold-7181-Ford-SB-V8-351-Fits-Windsor-Heads-/390423096904?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5ae707ae48&vxp=mtr#ht_1618wt_804

I hate the way my intake looks.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
06-23-2012, 02:54 PM
The rpm manifold is probably too tall to fit under the hood, the weiand version fits under my dog house and it's virtually the same as edelbrock rpm. Having said that most stick with the standard edelbrock version, just be sure to apply some paint or clear coat to the bare aluminum.

bturner2
06-24-2012, 08:26 AM
Unless you're looking to change performance have you considered pulling yours off and getting it power coated?

east tx skier
06-24-2012, 11:57 AM
If you barefoot, it might be worth considering. For slalom, I'd go with the straight performer intake from Edelbrock.

TRBenj
06-25-2012, 09:39 AM
An intake manifold alone wont be worth a whole heck of a lot in terms of performance. Maybe 5-10hp. They work better with upgraded heads and cams.

imracin68j
06-27-2012, 10:30 PM
it just looks like crap and if I'm going to have it off why not upgrade i guess. it's a little easier than a GM because it looks like you don't have to remove the distributer

imracin68j
06-27-2012, 10:31 PM
I'd want more torque probably

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
06-27-2012, 10:32 PM
it just looks like crap and if I'm going to have it off why not upgrade i guess. it's a little easier than a GM because it looks like you don't have to remove the distributer

Correct dizzy does not need to be removed to do an intake manifold.

imracin68j
06-27-2012, 10:35 PM
what about the torker 2?

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
06-27-2012, 11:20 PM
what about the torker 2?

You can go to the mfg website and there will be information on the height of each manifold. I have my factory manifold in the garage so I can measure that for you, then you would need to measure how much clearance you presently have, I used 2x4 as a spacer until the doghouse touched and then figured out which manifold would fit for my application. But that torker 2 is to much intake for a stocker, 2500-6500 operating range.

imracin68j
07-04-2012, 04:31 PM
Ya, could you measure it for me? How much taller can I go with an 88. I ordered a torker 2 but I'm sending it back after I read some reviews. I'm stuck between performer, performer rpm and wialand stealth. Also I've noticed I smell fuel a little more. Carb need cleaning?

woodnnn
07-04-2012, 04:54 PM
What engine do you have. If you have a 351 Windsor go with the performer. There is enough clearance under the motor cover for a taller manifold. But bother. These are not performance motors. Unless you have a big block. 425 horse. Most are just pulling low Tom truck engines.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

LYNRDSKYNRD
07-04-2012, 05:25 PM
My '87 had a performer on it when I bought it so it definitely fits.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Cloaked
07-04-2012, 05:42 PM
Ya, could you measure it for me? How much taller can I go with an 88. I ordered a torker 2 but I'm sending it back after I read some reviews. I'm stuck between performer, performer rpm and wialand stealth. Also I've noticed I smell fuel a little more. Carb need cleaning?
Would you consider selling me the stock 351 intake?

tockit
07-04-2012, 07:14 PM
An intake manifold alone wont be worth a whole heck of a lot in terms of performance. Maybe 5-10hp. They work better with upgraded heads and cams.Which camshaft do you guys recommend?

I was considering upgrading my stock 351 Windsor to the GT40p Heads and an Intake and I'm looking at parts/prices?

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
07-04-2012, 07:59 PM

the carburator needs tuning.

intake stamping E6TE 9425 CB

front measurement is 2 7/16" rear is 3 9/16"
the original spacer is 1 1/4"

these are carburator pad height; take front height+rear height then divide by 2= carb pad height

stocker without spacer 3"
the stocker with spacer is 4.25"
the performer has a pad of 4" (shorter than original w/ spacer)
the performer rpm is 4.8"
the weiand stealth is 4.7"
(this fits under my motor box with no issues, your results may vary)

you will need to figure how much clearance you have right now then you can make a decision

imracin68j
07-04-2012, 08:02 PM
Would you consider selling me the stock 351 intake?

Ya, once I know everything works

JimN
07-04-2012, 08:57 PM
Correct dizzy does not need to be removed to do an intake manifold.

But replacing the manifold is a whole lot easier with that out of the way.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
07-05-2012, 08:37 AM
Which camshaft do you guys recommend?

I was considering upgrading my stock 351 Windsor to the GT40p Heads and an Intake and I'm looking at parts/prices?

something like comp cam 35-218-3 should work; picking cams is a wide open discussion there are many variables...

imracin68j
07-05-2012, 11:35 AM
You have to yank the motor for a cam swap? I've built sbc but never messed with fords.

JimN
07-05-2012, 12:12 PM
You have to yank the motor for a cam swap? I've built sbc but never messed with fords.

You should be able to do this by removing the ski pylon.

imracin68j
07-05-2012, 12:51 PM
Seems like it would be tough to degree with the trans hooked up

JimN
07-05-2012, 12:55 PM
Seems like it would be tough to degree with the trans hooked up

Why is that?

imracin68j
07-08-2012, 09:11 PM
My motor has an indmar sticker on it. Does that change anything?

JimN
07-08-2012, 10:12 PM
My motor has an indmar sticker on it. Does that change anything?

Well, if you can read the serial number, you could contact MC or Indmar and get the engine's specs. That might give you something to compare with any new parts you might want to use as replacements.

imracin68j
07-10-2012, 11:09 AM
Do I still use the spacer? I'd get more torque If I didn't have to use it. It would be cool not to breath the valve covers into the intake also.

Cloak, your mail is full, I couldn't send you a PM.

JimN
07-10-2012, 11:17 AM
Do I still use the spacer? I'd get more torque If I didn't have to use it. It would be cool not to breath the valve covers into the intake also.

Cloak, your mail is full, I couldn't send you a PM.

Why would that be "cool"? What would you do with the combustible fumes that are in/come from the crankcase? The PCV valve is a controlled vacuum leak, used to scavenge the pressure from the crankcase when you're running the engine hard.

imracin68j
07-10-2012, 11:21 AM
Because hot air from the engine heats up the cooler air going in and robs horsepower. It also throws oil residue into the intake. I'd also have more clearance on the top. You have a point with the fumes.

JimN
07-10-2012, 11:37 AM
Because hot air from the engine heats up the cooler air going in and robs horsepower. It also throws oil residue into the intake. I'd also have more clearance on the top. You have a point with the fumes.

When an engine is at WOT or close to it, what's your estimate of the hot air:cool air? I'd guess less than 1% and at high RPM/open throttle, the vacuum below the throttle plate is extremely low, so it's only ventilating the crankcase in a big way when it's idling so, my point from the earlier post is moot. Also, the oil residue at normal operating temperature shouldn't be too bad. It's not as if these engines are operating at a razor's edge WRT the makeup of intake air, air:fuel ratio, timing advance/valve advance, etc.

imracin68j
07-10-2012, 12:54 PM
Actually, it's hotter than that as the temp in your engine bay is not 180 degrees. And the heat in your engine is hotter than your water temp. Water is trying to cool down the inside of your motor. I never feel heat out of the engine bay when i lift the cover so the difference is at least 50 degrees. To make a long story short, the air being sucked into the intake is from the engine is much higher. I would bet it's around a 5-10hp loss dragging heat from the engine back into the engine.

Also, it sucks having a vent on the back (RR) on a ski boat because the boat raises up and send all the oil to the rear of the valve cover and when the valve does open up the rockers alone are splashing oil everywhere in the rear. That's why race cars don't run breathers on the right side.

JimN
07-10-2012, 07:25 PM
Actually, it's hotter than that as the temp in your engine bay is not 180 degrees. And the heat in your engine is hotter than your water temp. Water is trying to cool down the inside of your motor. I never feel heat out of the engine bay when i lift the cover so the difference is at least 50 degrees. To make a long story short, the air being sucked into the intake is from the engine is much higher. I would bet it's around a 5-10hp loss dragging heat from the engine back into the engine.

Also, it sucks having a vent on the back (RR) on a ski boat because the boat raises up and send all the oil to the rear of the valve cover and when the valve does open up the rockers alone are splashing oil everywhere in the rear. That's why race cars don't run breathers on the right side.

That's true but the engine passes over 600CFM and that's not as hot as what's under the engine cover after the engine has been shut off and the heat just collects in there. Race cars run high volume pumps, unlike passenger vehicles and boats.

There's not much oil under the valve covers- it's not like it fills up when the engine runs.