PDA

View Full Version : 1991 Prostar 190 throttle question??

Appling77
06-23-2012, 12:54 AM
I just bought the 91 this week. I took it to the lake today long story short is that when I would put it in forward it would not engage unless I went almost full throttle then backed off, then it would work fine unless I went to neutral then I had to do it agian to get moving. Reverse works fine. Someone at the dock said it was a cable adjustment that was needed. Anyone know how to fix this, is it something I can do on my own? etc. I am somewhat mechanically inclined. I just don't want to go adjusting throttle cables and mess something up. Thanks!

jmw
06-23-2012, 01:03 AM
It sounds like your linkage just needs adjusting. Does the boat rev up as you move the throttle forward and just the transmission not engage? If so, you only need to adjust linkage on the transmission because your throttle is working correctly. Does reverse work properly? On a 91 everything is manual so it should be an easy fix.

jmw
06-23-2012, 01:07 AM
similar problem http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=48646

Appling77
06-23-2012, 01:14 AM
It sounds like your linkage just needs adjusting. Does the boat rev up as you move the throttle forward and just the transmission not engage? If so, you only need to adjust linkage on the transmission because your throttle is working correctly. Does reverse work properly? On a 91 everything is manual so it should be an easy fix.

Yes it revs up so when it does go in gear it yanks forward. Rev works good.

Appling77
06-23-2012, 12:51 PM
So can some tell how to adjust the linkage?
Also is there a repair manual for this boat?

Appling77
06-24-2012, 10:56 PM
Can anyone give me a little more info on this cable adjustment? Steps of what to do. I'm taking the boat out tomorrow and would like to have this fixed. Thanks

Jerseydave
06-24-2012, 11:31 PM
Make sure your button near the shifter is all the way in when you're trying to shift into forward.
You don't want the engine to rev up over 1000 rpm's and then have the trans engage....that's really hard on the trans/drivetrain.

You may have a problem with the Morse shifter assembly....if it's not a cable adjustment problem.

Watch the shifter cable @ the trans when shifting, make sure it is engaging the trans fully. You should check this with engine OFF. You can disconnect the cable at the trans and shift the trans fully into gear with your hand, then adjust the cable to match that movement. Again, do this with the engine OFF. Then check it in the reverse position to make sure that also engages fully.

Hopefully I'm steering you in the right direction.....if not others will no doubt chime in.

Appling77
06-24-2012, 11:54 PM
Hey I appreciate the help, that does make sense.

Appling77
06-24-2012, 11:56 PM
Do I need to remove the engine cover fully and the rear floor panel to do this?

jmw
06-25-2012, 12:45 AM
Jerseydave is correct. Watch the shifter cable @ the trans when shifting, you can even mark where it stops with a marker. Then disconnect the cable at the trans and shift the trans fully into gear with your hand, if where the mark does not match where it's fully engaged by hand adjust the cable to match where it's fully engaged by hand. Try it first with the engine off but you can leave it disconnected and water test if you have a safe area, just be careful because you will be in forward or reverse until you can manually put it back in neutral.

Appling77
06-25-2012, 11:20 AM
Thanks for the help I'm going to work on it this afternoon. Will I need to pull the engine hood out of the boat and remove the rear panel to do this?

Appling77
06-26-2012, 12:11 AM
I figured it out I'm going to test it out tomorrow on the lake. It looks like to me it's a long time for the fuel cable to engage.

Appling77
06-27-2012, 12:15 AM
Problem fixed ! Thanks!

Lumbergh
06-27-2012, 11:05 AM
What was the fix? Pictures?

Appling77
06-27-2012, 11:22 AM
I just adjusted the cable on the transmission like 1 1/2 turns. I'll get a pic of it.