PDA

View Full Version : New PS197?

bbruzzese
06-22-2012, 10:56 PM
Is there really no new 197 for 2013? Any word on when the new hull will be ready?

Sullivan
06-24-2012, 11:21 PM
Correct, I don't think a new boat will be around until 2014.

captain planet
06-25-2012, 08:37 AM
:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Jerseydave
06-25-2012, 09:17 AM
I'm sure it's coming, probably still in the development stage. What does your dealer say?
You could reach out to Jim@BAWS on here and see what he says....he's the Tampa area dealer.

Where do you ski in the northeast?

Jim@BAWS
06-25-2012, 10:09 AM
I'm sure it's coming, probably still in the development stage. What does your dealer say?
You could reach out to Jim@BAWS on here and see what he says....he's the Tampa area dealer.

Where do you ski in the northeast?

He says what Sulli says

Sullivan
06-27-2012, 12:18 PM
One thing to consider if you are looking for a new boat. The 2012 197 rocks, mine has the 5.7 with powerslot and I have been given nothing but praise this year at my tournaments. Its an excellent boat, drives like its on rails and the wake is great.

I too am looking forward to something new but.......I sure love my 197.

bbruzzese
06-28-2012, 03:05 PM
We ski in VT and have enjoyed the 197 quite a bit. As die hard CC owners we switched to the 197 in search of a little more space. Aside from a few glitches we've been pretty happy...skis great and super fun to drive but beginning to get the urge for something new.

rhsprostar
06-28-2012, 06:03 PM
Nothing this year?:eek:
Wow MC is really late to the party on this one........
If they wait much longer CC is going to put out another newer version of the 200
I thought that the new promo boats would be on the new hull???

Jim@BAWS
06-28-2012, 06:06 PM
Nothing this year?:eek:
Wow MC is really late to the party on this one........

How so...the 197 HULL is AWESOME!!If they wait much longer CC is going to put out another newer version of the 200
They need to..Hull does not perform unless it has a 6.0I thought that the new promo boats would be on the new hull?
Which boats...what hull...2013 will be the same as 2012!!!

Jim@BAWS

lettmeknow
06-28-2012, 06:28 PM
I have first hand reliable intel on the new Prostar for 2014. It will be named Prostar 201. MC wants to one up CC again ( cc196 vs MC197) . It will share some of the same characterisics of the new Xstar. It will have the funky rub rail dip and will also incorprate a small pickle fork front bow to address the complaints of the small seating area of the 197. It will have a rear swooping mini tower that does not interfere with shortline. . It will have a built in boom that stores itself in the gunnel when not in use. A push of a button will release the boom and it will telescope out automatically! No power tower, but now you got this cool auto feature. The engine will be pushed forward 3 inches as well as the gas tank to improve weight distibution. The storage locker is thinner but goes all the way to the floor. The dash will have no gauges. It will be one offset( simalar to CC) six inch screen . It will display all info and zero off. It will have two rope release systems, one specific to trick the other to slalom. The wake is supposed to be so faint and soft that it will sure to see new world records. As far as power plant, there is talk of a turbo charged V6 that is supposed to get better gas consumption than anything we have seen before.Thats about all I know right now, I am rooted to have WTT #1! Please do not share any of this info outside of TT , as it is all very secret.

D3skier
06-28-2012, 07:03 PM
wonder if they plan on putting the ford eco-boost in the new boats.... that would be cool

thatsmrmastercraft
06-28-2012, 07:08 PM
I have first hand reliable intel on the new Prostar for 2014. It will be named Prostar 201. MC wants to one up CC again ( cc196 vs MC197) . It will share some of the same characterisics of the new Xstar. It will have the funky rub rail dip and will also incorprate a small pickle fork front bow to address the complaints of the small seating area of the 197. It will have a rear swooping mini tower that does not interfere with shortline. . It will have a built in boom that stores itself in the gunnel when not in use. A push of a button will release the boom and it will telescope out automatically! No power tower, but now you got this cool auto feature. The engine will be pushed forward 3 inches as well as the gas tank to improve weight distibution. The storage locker is thinner but goes all the way to the floor. The dash will have no gauges. It will be one offset( simalar to CC) six inch screen . It will display all info and zero off. It will have two rope release systems, one specific to trick the other to slalom. The wake is supposed to be so faint and soft that it will sure to see new world records. As far as power plant, there is talk of a turbo charged V6 that is supposed to get better gas consumption than anything we have seen before.Thats about all I know right now, I am rooted to have WTT #1! Please do not share any of this info outside of TT , as it is all very secret.

A marinized Eco-Boost F-150 engine?

rhsprostar
06-28-2012, 11:24 PM

ummmm.......................you do realize this is a public forum for anybody to read right?
Interesting stuff though..........it will be interesting to see if it is true in two years time.

I just think that a 12 YEARS between hull changes is just a little much even for MC. I am concerned that they are spending too much time messing with super expensive wake boats(no disrespect) than dealing with the grass roots building blocks that Rob Shirley built the company on. The timing from a marketing persective is now (or last year) for something that could put them in the leading position in the waterski market.

AZX9
06-29-2012, 12:58 AM
R&D follow sales.

I'm sure this is not quite the norm everywhere, but at the Mastercraft dealers I've been to, I have never even seen a 190 or 197. As far as that goes I hardly ever see people skiing on the lakes. Kind of like skis vs snowboards on the slopes. Dying passions.

east tx skier
06-29-2012, 11:28 AM

You, sir, get the prize for teasing a group of grown men. Well played!

This sounds like the boat you described.

http://images.wikia.com/simpsons/images/0/05/TheHomer.png

snork
06-29-2012, 11:56 AM
ummmm.......................you do realize this is a public forum for anybody to read right?
Interesting stuff though..........it will be interesting to see if it is true in two years time.

I just think that a 12 YEARS between hull changes is just a little much even for MC. I am concerned that they are spending too much time messing with super expensive wake boats(no disrespect) than dealing with the grass roots building blocks that Rob Shirley built the company on. The timing from a marketing persective is now (or last year) for something that could put them in the leading position in the waterski market.

Only in his dream, he forgot the sarcasm smiley face :friday:

Ned
06-29-2012, 12:43 PM
dying passion??? skis vs snowboards on the slopes??? not sure you been there lately? new schoolers free skiing have surpassed anything done or possible in sideways stance. I know... I am old. mad respect for what is being done on the wakeboard these days. never stop pulling for slalom and footing. I was competitive freestyle skier back in the day when it was about expression. bringing rules, objective scoring brought it to olympic level (and some say made it stale). a smooth slalom run always impresses. a rippin bump run that includes off-axis rotations is killer. barefooting opens up wild creative expression. so when did the passion die?

Ned
06-29-2012, 12:46 PM
oh ya... this was about making / designing a competition ski boat. stop doing that and I will buy a boat from somebody that does. any tug can make a big wake. who ever makes quality, style and no wake is the leader... and that's the boat I want.

lettmeknow
06-29-2012, 01:00 PM
R&D follow sales.

I'm sure this is not quite the norm everywhere, but at the Mastercraft dealers I've been to, I have never even seen a 190 or 197. As far as that goes I hardly ever see people skiing on the lakes. Kind of like skis vs snowboards on the slopes. Dying passions.

Thats because us skiers had to move to private ski lakes to avoid the wakemaker machines. If you think skiing is dying then why are there over 100 man made ski lakes in California alone!

captain planet
06-29-2012, 02:29 PM
:purplaugh:purplaugh:purplaugh

itch2ski
06-29-2012, 02:51 PM
Went into my local pro shop last weekend and they have been selling more skis than boards this season! I could go for a lake full of 20' small wake machines over one full of 24' monster wake makers.

rhsprostar
06-29-2012, 02:57 PM
Hey letmeknow if that 2014 stuff was just a load of BS.......thats pretty good!
All good stuff, not sure about the telescoping boom but if the wakies can have an electric tower, why not a telescopic boom for the skiers!

Guys, didn't mean to ignite a skiers vs boarders debate here but I would love to know how many 197's/190's that MC does produce each year? I know that they used to make 100 of the Tournament team boats alone before regular 197/x7 production even started. Now that may have decrease as competion from the other ski boat companies have increased but it still has to be a fair chunk of the sales. Is it not the opening price point boat for MC?

Eastie or Sulli should have some insight into production numbers no?

PS I never see any wakeboarders out anymore either, seems to be all surfing now.....

east tx skier
06-29-2012, 03:52 PM
All good stuff, not sure about the telescoping boom but if the wakies can have an electric tower, why not a telescopic boom for the skiers!

Guys, didn't mean to ignite a skiers vs boarders debate here but I would love to know how many 197's/190's that MC does produce each year? I know that they used to make 100 of the Tournament team boats alone before regular 197/x7 production even started. Now that may have decrease as competion from the other ski boat companies have increased but it still has to be a fair chunk of the sales. Is it not the opening price point boat for MC?

PS I never see any wakeboarders out anymore either, seems to be all surfing now.....

I don't have any production info. I do have a tidbit that I picked up when I was shopping for a closed bow several years ago. If I'm off by a couple, mea culpa.

In 2006, MasterCraft produced 8 Pro Star 190s.

bbruzzese
06-29-2012, 04:32 PM
Unfortunately often times perception is reality...the perception is that a basically unchanged 10 yr old hull is badly in need of an update. Particularly when the competition continues to introduce new, innovative product. I haven't seen a 190 on a showroom floor in years and 2014 is 2 yrs too late in my opinion.

JohnE
06-29-2012, 07:18 PM
I don't have any production info. I do have a tidbit that I picked up when I was shopping for a closed bow several years ago. If I'm off by a couple, mea culpa.

I remember that statistic. Or something close. So few people seem to want closed bow. I'm sure I've read it, but why do you prefer OB? If I were solely skiing, I can fit 3 or 4 plus skis in an open bow. The added storage of closed bow doesn't seem appealing. Just curious.

lettmeknow
06-29-2012, 07:30 PM

Yes, it was total BS, I'm the last person in the know! I personally liked the name prostar 201 just to one up CC! :D

JohnE
06-29-2012, 07:35 PM
Yes, it was total BS, I'm the last person in the know! I personally liked the name prostar 201 just to one up CC! :D

Ha I bet your list of features will be confusing people for years

east tx skier
06-29-2012, 08:43 PM
I remember that statistic. Or something close. So few people seem to want closed bow. I'm sure I've read it, but why do you prefer OB? If I were solely skiing, I can fit 3 or 4 plus skis in an open bow. The added storage of closed bow doesn't seem appealing. Just curious.

If you read that stat here, it was probably from my posting it when I was boat searching. I got it from Mike in 2007.

As you know, I owned a 205 for about 4 and a half years. It was my first direct drive and I bought it because my father in law had one and I didn't really do much comparing. I got lucky since it turned out to be a great boat. But the reality of our situation was that, 98% of the time, it was just my wife, son and I going out on the lake, skiing, and coming back to the dock to relax. Even with two kids, that's still pretty much our routine. The ski locker in the 205 was always full of water and pretty useless, the combing pads wouldn't fit a ski in that era. And, so all of our gear was in the aisles or in the walkthrough making it hard to navigate. We added the jump seat, which was great, but then you had to get over it to get out the front. The bow seating came in handy some times, but you'd never want to ski with people in the bow. So, for the most part, it was just something else to clean, worry about the vinyl, and dig pine needles out of (we get a lot of pine needles).

For my line length and speed, the closed bow I have skis better and tracks better than anything in that price range and most things within $15K above that price range (or at least as well). It has tons of dry storage under the nose that doesn't look sloppy since you can't see it, and has a really wide open view from the driver's seat. It feels wider (because it is) and I can get 3 across in the observer's seat if they want to be friendly.

For how we use our boat, it was the best choice. I don't miss bow seating at all. I didn't want the kids sitting up there anyway.

YMMV

rhsprostar
06-30-2012, 12:17 AM
Eastie are you trying to kill us all??? On top of everything in this thread already you want to introduce a closed vs open bow debate?!:rolleyes: LOL

And come on, 6 190 closed bows in 2006, maybe thats possible if they just went to a few key jumpers but it's irrelevant vs how many 197/x7's were sold. Why would MC push a closed bow option when they owned the market on the open bow competiton ski boat and it skied just as well if not better.....Why do you think that CC made the 200?

JohnE
06-30-2012, 10:12 AM
If you read that stat here, it was probably from my posting it when I was boat searching. I got it from Mike in 2007.

As you know, I owned a 205 for about 4 and a half years. It was my first direct drive and I bought it because my father in law had one and I didn't really do much comparing. I got lucky since it turned out to be a great boat. But the reality of our situation was that, 98% of the time, it was just my wife, son and I going out on the lake, skiing, and coming back to the dock to relax. Even with two kids, that's still pretty much our routine. The ski locker in the 205 was always full of water and pretty useless, the combing pads wouldn't fit a ski in that era. And, so all of our gear was in the aisles or in the walkthrough making it hard to navigate. We added the jump seat, which was great, but then you had to get over it to get out the front. The bow seating came in handy some times, but you'd never want to ski with people in the bow. So, for the most part, it was just something else to clean, worry about the vinyl, and dig pine needles out of (we get a lot of pine needles).

For my line length and speed, the closed bow I have skis better and tracks better than anything in that price range and most things within $15K above that price range (or at least as well). It has tons of dry storage under the nose that doesn't look sloppy since you can't see it, and has a really wide open view from the driver's seat. It feels wider (because it is) and I can get 3 across in the observer's seat if they want to be friendly.

For how we use our boat, it was the best choice. I don't miss bow seating at all. I didn't want the kids sitting up there anyway.

YMMV

Given how you use your boat I can see the light. :D

east tx skier
06-30-2012, 11:07 AM
Eastie are you trying to kill us all??? On top of everything in this thread already you want to introduce a closed vs open bow debate?!:rolleyes: LOL

And come on, 6 190 closed bows in 2006, maybe thats possible if they just went to a few key jumpers but it's irrelevant vs how many 197/x7's were sold. Why would MC push a closed bow option when they owned the market on the open bow competiton ski boat and it skied just as well if not better.....Why do you think that CC made the 200?

Why only 6 can be answered with that's how many were ordered that year. I know I'm in the minority of boat owners, but that doesn't make my opinion any less the law at my house. As for the 200, I'm sure it will sell great. But I'm not selling my boat to buy one.

03geetee
06-30-2012, 11:13 AM
Heres my reasoning for the closed bow....

I feel there is always something cool and primal about the having a bare bones made for one purpose machine. Be it a 68 Hemi Dart that might have a steering wheel, four tires, a monster motor/4 speed and a few body panels holding it all together, if you owned one and ripped it once down a back road you would know why it is what it is COOL. I think the appeal follows very true with the closed bow ski boats of yesterday. I love our 83 SnS for these reasons. Its fast, big enough, skis awesome, looks incredible after 30 years, and the best thing of all its simple. The closed bow just adds to the simplicity and if that means a few people cant tag along for a boat ride, well thats what the pontoon is for. For me the wife daughter and a couple in the love seat this boat is just what we need and nothing we dont.

Besides the closed bow gives you so much more to wax!!!!

JTR

madcityskier
06-30-2012, 11:30 AM

This is a very different company than the one Rob Shirley built. It's now a high end boat company making things for the market, not a company making boats for skiers and offering any help they can years down the road. MasterCraft owners and some dealers are a community. MasterCraft is a company making a profit. Nothing wrong with that, just realize that it's harder to provide the old level of service and focus when they make so many boats now and owners of boats 30+ years old are still looking for parts while the competition's boats are mostly long gone.

mikeg205
06-30-2012, 11:31 AM
This is a very different company than the one Rob Shirley built. It's now a high end boat company making things for the market, not a company making boats for skiers and offering any help they can years down the road. MasterCraft owners and some dealers are a community. MasterCraft is a company making a profit. Nothing wrong with that, just realize that it's harder to provide the old level of service and focus when they make so many boats now and owners of boats 30+ years old are still looking for parts while the competition's boats are mostly long gone.

well said J.

rhsprostar
06-30-2012, 11:35 AM
Eastie, I am with you on that point. Although I tell myself that the open bow is my decision, it really does boil down to the fact that my wife likes the open bow and thunks it's better for the family. Whatever makes her happy and gets me out on the water again!

Now that being said my ski partner has a 2008 196 CC and it's a great "ski machine" BUT for him the boat never, I am mean NEVER leaves his dock unless there is a skier behind it. It has Zero hours of cruising or leisure time.....seriously, ZERO.
The closed bow option is perfect for him as I find that when we are truly just skiiing the open bow is never used.

As they say.............Whatever floats your boat!

mikeg205
06-30-2012, 11:44 AM
I could have went with a closed bow as well...Rarely have more than 3 in the boat.. I take my 205 out for skiing only and a cruise with the wife...I personally like the open bow look....but that's just me...grew up with open bow fishing boats..so it was just ingrained in some of us.

Jim@BAWS
06-30-2012, 04:43 PM
I know that they used to make 100 of the Tournament team boats alone before regular 197/x7 production even started. ...

TT Boats are made throughout the model year...They are not made in batchs. They are made per the TT members specs.

WOW that means at 1/3 of the production in 2006 of 190's went through Bay Area WaterSports...I wonder if that is really true???It must be its on TEAMTALK!!!

JohnE
06-30-2012, 07:29 PM
IIRC, Mike put a 190 on the showroom floor a few years ago to see how it would sell. 06 or 07 would be my guess. There is a thread here somewhere.

The misrepresentations and misconceptions on this board lately are incredible. And I'm not meaning Jim or ETS.

Sullivan
07-02-2012, 05:13 PM
Pickel Fork! Ha! I was freaking out over that one.

smiller
06-29-2013, 11:15 AM
You guys are all wrong.

I just returned from deep within the bowels of a hidden bunker in Tennessee spending a week on this marvel of a boat.

Everyone here has it wrong. The boat is laid up in 100% virgin carbon fiber. No recycled Chinese crap on this boat. In order to save weight the Pylon is cnc turned titanium alloy as are the stringers.

As for the pickle fork that is hogwash. They have reserved pickle forks strictly for the swine boats ( otherwise known as wakeboard boats). There will be no bow seating or a tower option. It is a ski boat. Save the towers for the swine who create huge waves and root in their own feces, fowling the water for everyone else.

The power plant will be a 400hp hybrid electric backed by a diesel charging engine. The carbon footprint on this engine will be so low that it will put the Carbon Pro straight in the sights of the EPA simply because of its name (akin to IRS targeting).

If you believe this I also have a bridge to sell you.

03 35th Anniversary
06-30-2013, 12:30 PM
Well the 2014 line up consist of
X-2
X-10
X-14V
X-25
X-30
X-35
X-55
X-Star
PS-214V

No 190/197 or 214
Looks like MasterCraft is out of the Direct Drive Business.

ttu
06-30-2013, 12:40 PM
suppose to be more added as they release them.

03 35th Anniversary
06-30-2013, 12:46 PM
I was kinda wondering why they would leave that market wide open.

But then again I was seeing the resale value of my 197 go up as well!

Miss Rita
06-30-2013, 12:58 PM
from post #10: It (the new ProStar 201) will have a built in boom that stores itself in the gunnel when not in use.

I find that interesting, as my 1991 SkiPro had the same option.

TMC
07-29-2013, 05:02 PM
Team Talkers -

We said we would give you the heads up and we're going to keep our word. I cannot answer any questions really but you guys might want to keep your ears to the ground next week - August 7th to be exact. We might be unveiling a new direct drive that day. Can't say for sure though.

More details to come.

Jason

thatsmrmastercraft
07-29-2013, 05:03 PM
Team Talkers -

We said we would give you the heads up and we're going to keep our word. I cannot answer any questions really but you guys might want to keep your ears to the ground next week - August 7th to be exact. We might be unveiling a new direct drive that day. Can't say for sure though.

More details to come.

Jason

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Aric'sX15
07-29-2013, 06:07 PM
TT Boats are made throughout the model year...They are not made in batchs. They are made per the TT members specs.

WOW that means at 1/3 of the production in 2006 of 190's went through Bay Area WaterSports...I wonder if that is really true???It must be its on TEAMTALK!!!

Can't Be true! Because 1/3 of 8 means you received 2 and only a part of a 190!

AussieMC
07-29-2013, 06:46 PM
Thanks Jason, Very excited.:dance:

rhsprostar
07-29-2013, 10:52 PM
Team Talkers -

More details to come.

Jason

Wow.....it's finally here! Can't wait. Been looking forward to this day for 3 years.
Bring it!!!:banana::banana:

georgea0731
07-30-2013, 12:25 AM
I can only said its about time!!! After no Anniversary boat last year, and basically the same boat for over 10 years. It was due.
I can't afford a new boat right now (building a house on the lake), but in a year or two once things settle down, look out.

captain planet
07-30-2013, 07:48 AM
Team Talkers -

More details to come.

Jason

....that is OLD news. Where have you been? ;)