PDA

View Full Version : '95 Prostar 190 Indmar Won't Start

cmaz
06-22-2012, 03:38 PM
New to forum. Went to start engine couple of weeks ago (on fake-a-lake), started up no problem, except starter was somewhat unresponsive (a couple of hits with a rubber mallet on the starter and the engine started). I replaced the starter to avoid starting problems. Put boat in water, and engine would not start. It sputters with some smoke from the flame arrestor and will not turn over. There is a strong rich smell of gas, is getting spark (checked plug on block and noted fuel injection in cylinders). The new starter is doing its job, Engine will not turn over. I tried with starting fluid, and engine still would not start.

Probably unrelated: when it started earlier in season, there was no temperature gauge readout, so I pulled the temp feeder out of block above the plugs cleaned off and put back in. I have not been able to see if this fixed the lack of temp readout because it has not started.

Jerseydave
06-22-2012, 04:43 PM
What engine do you have?

1st I would pull all the spark plugs and look at then, sounds like they are gas fouled. Either clean them or better yet put in a new set.

Where in the northeast are you located?

cmaz
06-22-2012, 06:32 PM
Engine: 275 hp; Just purchased a new set of plugs and will install and try out tomorrow; S Central Mass.

SkiDaddy
06-23-2012, 09:34 AM
Did the problem start right after you changed the starter? If yes, then what might you have done when you removed and replaced the starter that could be causing this? Did you mess around with the distributor, any plug wires, etc.??

Also, when you say, "it won't turn over", I think you mean that the engine is spinning (via the starter), but it just isn't starting. "turning over" means spinning, not starting, so that can get confusing in your description of the problem.

Good luck!!

charrison327
06-23-2012, 10:58 AM
don't take this as an insult, but this happened to me not too long ago on the lake....... check the safety lanyard kill switch and/or the throttle position safety (not exactly sure what it's called). I have to jiggle my throttle lever back and forth just a tad sometimes to get it in the right position. Hope it's something simple like this.

I'm sure someone on here will get you going. There is a world of knowledge on this site!!

east tx skier
06-24-2012, 01:08 PM
I'd bet it's the safety lanyard. Bypass the wiring on it and see if the problem goes away.

cmaz
06-24-2012, 05:22 PM
As you noted the engine is spinning via the starter, but is not starting. I disconnected the starter, disconnected the mounting bolts and replaced it, returning the wires to the same connections. Starter is working, engine will not start. I did not mess with any distributor wires. I have now replaced all the plugs (individually returning the same plug to the wire), with no success at getting the engine to start. My thinking is possibly bad fuel should I be siphoning off my tank and trying to replace fuel?

mikeg205
06-24-2012, 05:29 PM
Is the fuel pump engaging when you turn key?..also there's a screen at bottom of fuel pump...could be gummed up.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CRT-P60962/?rtype=10

cmaz
06-25-2012, 11:22 AM
After each start attempt there is a strong rich smell of gas and when orginally testing spark on plugs there was fuel injection into cylinder, so I believe fuel is getting to the cylinders via the pump.

east tx skier
06-25-2012, 12:17 PM
I hate to sound like a broken record, but I didn't see that you had eliminated this as the culprit.

From Mastercraft.com

The emergency engine safety switch, called the "lanyard", is an ignition cut-off switch designed to stop the engine in the event of an operator being thrown from position or moving too far from the helm. The lanyard is equipped with a hook on one end for attachment to your clothing or PFD, and the opposite end has a slide that fits over the switch. Be sure that the slide is firmly attached to the switch before starting. The switch is located near the throttle control box. If the slide is left off or loose, the engine will crank but will not start. The safety switch lanyard must be attached to the operator whenever the engine is started.

If the fuel pump is coming on and priming every time you turn the key on, that may be why you're smelling fuel. The safety lanyards can become worn. So even if they are attached, they may not be completing the circuit. You can bypass the switch on the other side of the combing pad to eliminate this issue. If you have already checked this, disregard. But I didn't see that you had. If I have missed a post, I apologize.

JimN
06-25-2012, 12:27 PM
After each start attempt there is a strong rich smell of gas and when orginally testing spark on plugs there was fuel injection into cylinder, so I believe fuel is getting to the cylinders via the pump.

Get a timing light and make sure you have spark. If you crank it for too long and it doesn't start but gas is getting to the cylinders, some of the gas will get into the crankcase and dilute the oil, making it pretty useless as a lubricant. Smell the oil away from the boat- if it smells like gas, change it, remove the fuel pump fuse and make sure you have spark before cranking it again. Also, if gas vapors have been getting into the exhaust system, it could ignite next time the engine fires and that's a very bad thing. You DON'T want that to happen.

cmaz
06-25-2012, 04:04 PM
I had looked at it and saw the "lanyard" was still attached to the switch and assumed it was working. I noted the switch was not depressed all the way when the lanyard was moved, so tried starting it while manually depressing the switch, engine cranked but still did not start. Do the switches wear? Is it necessary to bypass to eliminate that as a potential cause, or is depressing switch "all the way" a valid elimination of that as a source to the start failure?

mikeg205
06-25-2012, 05:53 PM
YEs, bypass to eliminate as source.

cmaz
06-30-2012, 11:45 PM
By passed the safety switch and still no starting success. A friend came over and did further trouble shooting, noting the gas smell, spark on each plug, but that most of the plugs did not have gas on them. He noted that the system was not drawing gas into the cylinders rather that fuel spewed upward with the flame arrestor off (reason for strong gas smell). He also noted that the engine was rotating in the wrong direction indicating that the starter I received was configured for rotation in the wrong direction. I put in the old starter and the boat ran today, stalled out a couple of times early in the day, and had some gauge issues (including the temp gauge that I mentioned in an earlier post) that I will have to test tomorrow. Thanks to all who posted in trying to help resolve the issue.

Jerseydave
07-01-2012, 10:05 AM
By passed the safety switch and still no starting success. A friend came over and did further trouble shooting, noting the gas smell, spark on each plug, but that most of the plugs did not have gas on them. He noted that the system was not drawing gas into the cylinders rather that fuel spewed upward with the flame arrestor off (reason for strong gas smell). He also noted that the engine was rotating in the wrong direction indicating that the starter I received was configured for rotation in the wrong direction. I put in the old starter and the boat ran today, stalled out a couple of times early in the day, and had some gauge issues (including the temp gauge that I mentioned in an earlier post) that I will have to test tomorrow. Thanks to all who posted in trying to help resolve the issue.

Wow, that would do it! I didn't even consider your starter was cranking in the wrong direction. Make sure you replace it with a marine starter, not an automotive one. You wouldn't want to be part of a "boat exploded" thread. :D