PDA

View Full Version : New Tacho

petermegan
06-22-2012, 06:26 AM
Has anyone out there replaced their digital tachometer and hour meter before? I have just put a new one in my 2000 Prostar and would like to put the hours the same as what is on the motor. The old tacho had 325hours plus I used the boat for probably 30hrs without it in (total approx.355hrs). I have no experience with a code reader but doesn't the ECM have engine hours on it, and if so how do I read it. Secondly how do I put these hours on my new tacho. I would just like this to be an accurate reading of boat hours, I am not fooling anyone by starting from zero again . Thanks in advance.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
06-22-2012, 12:33 PM
There is no way that I know of to "program" the hours, you'll just have to key it on and let her click, It would take 2 weeks of her clicking but it will get there. or you could try and hook it up on a bench to 12v and do it there before install.

petermegan
06-22-2012, 07:34 PM
Thanks JM. I was under the impression the tacho/hour clock only recorded hours whilst the motor was running on the brainbox fed gauges? And I wonder whether the dealer has got a reader for the ECM that can tell me actual engine hours? (I think I want to know as I bought the boat secondhand). Getting a lot of views, not too many replys here!!:)

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
06-22-2012, 07:51 PM
The tachometer/hour meter clicks away with ignition switch on, the ecm stores engine run hours, it stores time above 300 rpm iirc. so its not uncommon for the hour meter to show more than the engine run hours. Yes a dealer can hookup their scan tool and give you actual engine hours.

petermegan
06-22-2012, 08:22 PM
Thanks JM, great info as usual on TT. I will jump the tacho with 12v to get it close to engine hours and next time I am near a dealer get them to check the ECM for me. Cheers.