PDA

View Full Version : Taking waves over the bow

skps190
06-22-2012, 02:08 AM
What are you guy's techiques for avoiding taking waves over the bow? We've been doing a ton of wakesurfing and it seems like whenever some one falls and we go to pick them up it is a constant battle. I usually put it in neutral right away and let the rollers from behind pass us up and then turn around, it works but takes more time. When other people are driving and I'm the one who fell 5 times out of 10 it is inevitable that the nose of the boat goes up and then straight into the next roller filling the bow. What do you do and how do you "politely" inform the other drivers of a better way? It's beginning to become a pain because no one wants to sit in the bow anymore.

BriEOD
06-22-2012, 02:29 AM
Just as you say, when the rider falls you pull the throttle back to neutral. Once the wakes dissipate, turn the boat the opposite way that your making your surf wave. More specifically, if you have a rider on a wave on the port side of the boat, turn the boat to starboard. Then circle back around and pick up your rider.

Take a page out of the slalom and barefoot driver's book, unless the rider is in distress, there is no need to haul-tail back and pick them up. Go slow, you'll kick up less wake to tear up the water and you'll keep water from going over the bow.

Philscbx
06-22-2012, 03:02 AM
I was making similar mistake the first time out in the 209 -
Just cruising - attempting to cross a large wake by cruiser,
I backed off throttle at the wrong moment and wake almost breaks over the bow as bow dove downward -
Quick throttle up saved it.

It is un-nerving to say the least, for anyone on board.

Stefan
06-22-2012, 03:18 AM
I only took waves over the bow twice, mainly because only me and a friend are driving most of the time... but driving slow and waiting for the rollers to pass before turning is the main key, also turning around on the side you're not surfing on helps a bit.

bstanislaw
06-22-2012, 06:19 AM
Simple. When your coming into the rollers give it a little throttle to kick up the bow. works everytime for me.

Iskidaily
06-22-2012, 06:25 AM
Now for the training family and friends part.... maybe have a practice session for the other drivers with you in the boat, maybe ask them to give you tips to show you how to avoid taking on water? Then take their advice, with them in the bow!

Barefooter92
06-22-2012, 07:38 AM
What are you guy's techiques for avoiding taking waves over the bow? We've been doing a ton of wakesurfing and it seems like whenever some one falls and we go to pick them up it is a constant battle. I usually put it in neutral right away and let the rollers from behind pass us up and then turn around, it works but takes more time. When other people are driving and I'm the one who fell 5 times out of 10 it is inevitable that the nose of the boat goes up and then straight into the next roller filling the bow. What do you do and how do you "politely" inform the other drivers of a better way? It's beginning to become a pain because no one wants to sit in the bow anymore.

Your boat...your rules...You tell them excatly how you want your boat driven or they can find another ride! Pretty Simple.

mzimme
06-22-2012, 08:19 AM
When we surf, as soon as a rider falls I back off the throttle gradually until im in neutral, then kick the throttle into reverse to spin the boat a little bit and let the rollers pass by. Gotta be careful doing this, if you reverse too early you can take a bunch of water on from the stern. Since the boat naturally turns starboard while reversing, I get it about 90* from my original direction of travel using reverse, then slowly idle forward to my rider. I do this on a boat that barely sits out of the water (83 S&S) and have yet to take any water in from the stern or over the bow. Also using this method eliminates any sort of power turning and keeps the water nice and calm for the next get-up.

CantRepeat
06-22-2012, 08:30 AM
If you know how not to get waves over the bow then just tell the driver what you want them to do so it doesn't happen to them or get a different driver if they can't understand what to do.

thatsmrmastercraft
06-22-2012, 08:37 AM
Just as you say, when the rider falls you pull the throttle back to neutral. Once the wakes dissipate, turn the boat the opposite way that your making your surf wave. More specifically, if you have a rider on a wave on the port side of the boat, turn the boat to starboard. Then circle back around and pick up your rider.

Take a page out of the slalom and barefoot driver's book, unless the rider is in distress, there is no need to haul-tail back and pick them up. Go slow, you'll kick up less wake to tear up the water and you'll keep water from going over the bow.

Simple. When your coming into the rollers give it a little throttle to kick up the bow. works everytime for me.

These guys have the answers.

02ProstarSammyD
06-22-2012, 08:46 AM
I was making similar mistake the first time out in the 209 -

The 209 loves to take water over the bow period. As for people driving and doing it I tell them, it happens once, and then they realize that it actually will take water over the bow. People just have to get used to driving these boats. Most people don't have that experience. I know I did it a few times when I first got my boat.

Granite_33
06-22-2012, 08:57 AM
Give your drivers easy to understand, simple instructions. If the easiest way is to back off the throttle, drop into idle forward and turn around.....then tell them to do that. Even if it means you are in the water an extra 45-60 seconds.

I have people in the front of my boat all the time, and I have about 20 years of watching rollers and working my way through them. (still happens though). I don't expect others to do the same, otherwise I would spend all my time trying to tell them what to do and I can guarantee it will piss us both off. I leave it at "goose it a little when you come to big rollers to keep the nose up"

But lets not kid ourselves.....sometimes relatives sit in the front and absolutely NEED a little splash of water from time to time.....8p. Especially the punk teenagers.

Its a boat.....

Granite_33
06-22-2012, 09:03 AM
The 209 loves to take water over the bow period. As for people driving and doing it I tell them, it happens once, and then they realize that it actually will take water over the bow. People just have to get used to driving these boats. Most people don't have that experience. I know I did it a few times when I first got my boat.

Second that with my old Maristar and X-9. High gunwale runabouts these aren't.

Trig2275
06-22-2012, 09:34 AM
I drop to neutral and let the first roller pass so it doesn't come over the stern, reverse a few seconds then turn away from the wave. Haven't taken one yet. I also have my passengers even out after a fall so their not all piled up on one side.

gatorguy
06-22-2012, 10:01 AM
Here's the easy answer: Don't make waves, and don't go out when there are waves.:D

Double D
06-22-2012, 10:07 AM
You could stop surfing... :D:D

Ok, bad joke...

skps190
06-22-2012, 11:25 AM
I guess I could stop surfing...wait, what am I thinking? :) Like I said, for me it's not as big an issue. I'll have to try the idea of putting it in reverse for a second or two to help spin the boat out of the way of the rollers. Either way its not a huge deal, I was just wondering if there was a technique that I wasn't aware of.

mzimme
06-22-2012, 11:40 AM
I guess I could stop surfing...wait, what am I thinking? :) Like I said, for me it's not as big an issue. I'll have to try the idea of putting it in reverse for a second or two to help spin the boat out of the way of the rollers. Either way its not a huge deal, I was just wondering if there was a technique that I wasn't aware of.

I think this will work out great for you. First time I surfed I was plowing through the rollers too... then got on a buddys boat that knew how to drive the thing while surfing, and learned that technique from him. Works great.

Thrall
06-22-2012, 12:00 PM
Differnt techniques for different boats.
Can't see what boat is in your avatar, but the pickle forks seem to sit much lower thant he vee nose models.
My X2, when weighted for surfing will take a roller every time unless you really let the rollers completely pass, or turn opposite the surf side and giver a little gas to keep the nose up when needed.
Buddys X15 otoh can take way more wieght than the X2 and still doesn't dip the nose easily.

scott023
06-22-2012, 12:43 PM
Just as you say, when the rider falls you pull the throttle back to neutral. Once the wakes dissipate, turn the boat the opposite way that your making your surf wave. More specifically, if you have a rider on a wave on the port side of the boat, turn the boat to starboard. Then circle back around and pick up your rider. Take a page out of the slalom and barefoot driver's book, unless the rider is in distress, there is no need to haul-tail back and pick them up. Go slow, you'll kick up less wake to tear up the water and you'll keep water from going over the bow.

no easier way than this.

Philscbx
06-22-2012, 12:59 PM
The 209's Shark Nose Bow will dive in Nicely.
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5276/7420692290_be5a8dbc23_c.jpg

02ProstarSammyD
06-22-2012, 01:36 PM
^truth. I hadn't ridden in the bow of mine until last week. Was in shock how low I felt even cruising. My wake was completely different last week during a set and look up to find 6 people sitting in the back half of the boat.........no one wanted the driver to soak them

willyt
06-22-2012, 02:19 PM
phhh...
whatdya yall complaining about? sit in the nose of a loaded xstar.

boats were meant to get wet

02ProstarSammyD
06-22-2012, 02:22 PM
its all fun and games until my smokes get wet!

mzimme
06-22-2012, 02:28 PM
If you guys have never ridden in the back of an S&S on a choppy day, you'll understand what gettig wet on a boat is really all about. No such thing as coming in dry if you sit in the back of the S&S unless it's a perfectly calm day, which rarely happens. It's always hilarious taking people on my boat for the first time. They sit in the back and have on their little sundresses or t-shirts, and by the time we get to the ski spot or cove, they're completely drenched wondering what happened (if it's windy). Good times... and I'm glad my bilge pump works! I guess it's a trade off, do you want a smooth ride, or a dry ride? Smooth? Sit in the back. Dry? Sit up front and prepare for ruptured discs.

scott023
06-22-2012, 02:30 PM
phhh...

I agree, to a point. But I've had about 2000 gallons come over the bow, when I was laying in it, in my own boat. Not a happy time. ;):D

skps190
06-22-2012, 02:39 PM
Thrall, it is a '12 X30. I know we are on the water and that getting wet is all a part of it, but it does get old having the carpet soaking wet along with anything in the front storage compartments. It would be nice at the end of the night when we're covering it to not have to take the carpet out so it can dry. In a way I feel this is not really a bad problem to have. We could be stuck on shore with no boat at all.

pram
06-22-2012, 02:51 PM
I never had these problems with my 190 :wait:

pram
06-22-2012, 02:52 PM
I agree, to a point. But I've had about 2000 gallons come over the bow, when I was laying in it, in my own boat. Not a happy time. ;):D

HERE WE GO..............................................

scott023
06-22-2012, 03:01 PM
HERE WE GO..............................................

:uglyhamme :uglyhamme :uglyhamme

mlawler34
06-22-2012, 03:13 PM
phhh...

Agreed!

willyt
06-22-2012, 03:19 PM

16k of ballast. Awesome

SilviaMan
06-22-2012, 03:25 PM
If you guys have never ridden in the back of an S&S on a choppy day, you'll understand what gettig wet on a boat is really all about. No such thing as coming in dry if you sit in the back of the S&S unless it's a perfectly calm day, which rarely happens. It's always hilarious taking people on my boat for the first time. They sit in the back and have on their little sundresses or t-shirts, and by the time we get to the ski spot or cove, they're completely drenched wondering what happened (if it's windy). Good times... and I'm glad my bilge pump works! I guess it's a trade off, do you want a smooth ride, or a dry ride? Smooth? Sit in the back. Dry? Sit up front and prepare for ruptured discs.

hahaha... definitely they way it happens in mine too!

scott023
06-22-2012, 03:43 PM
16k of ballast. Awesome

There was a lot of dry time involved. There were surfboards floating the the lockers. :D

pram
06-22-2012, 03:47 PM
I said it before and I will say it again

that boat needed a cleaning

scott023
06-22-2012, 03:49 PM
I said it before and I will say it again

that boat needed a cleaning

Right. And lake water did the job just fine. Scrap that professional detailing it just had done... ;)

pram
06-22-2012, 03:51 PM
Lake water is the schnizzle, well at least out here in BC where the water is CLEAN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wait wait, I mean dirty, yeah that's it dirty

as P Ric would say, dirty water, lotsa bugs and snakes

tmacx2
06-22-2012, 07:51 PM
I can't believe the timing of this thread. Yesterday I was surfing and my wife was driving. Told her if I fell, slowly put it in neutral, let the wake pass then turn right (I was surfing port) then idle back and get me. I fall. She slows down but not to neutral and turns port. A small tsunami goes over the bow. I couldn't believe the amount of water in the boat. Explaining what to do doesn't always work, but obviously this was my fault since I fell and she had to come and get me.

Tri4X2
06-22-2012, 10:59 PM
If I'm out on the boat with friends either I drive, or my wife drives. The last time I allowed a friend behind the help he decided to take a massive wave over the front and then power turn.... Friends don't let friends power turn!!!!!

imracin68j
06-23-2012, 12:54 AM
Turn boat and roll off throttle to hit wake head on. Soon as the bow dips a little and raises on first big wake, punch it till cleared. Simple.

scott023
06-23-2012, 01:51 AM
Turn boat and roll off throttle to hit wake head on. Soon as the bow dips a little and raises on first big wake, punch it till cleared. Simple.

Not the best way to do it..... Just sayin.

imracin68j
06-23-2012, 03:50 AM
No boat pearls harder than a 88 prostar. I never pearl the nose, just sayin. You really don't punch it. You just give it enough gas to clear wake 2.

JR8778
06-23-2012, 10:35 AM
I'll sometimes turn 90 degrees with a little gas and take the rollers sideways, then turn toward the person in the water for pickup.

MattsCraft
06-24-2012, 09:51 AM
This is what I do... We mostly surf port side, but works either way. As soon as the rider falls, pull throttle to neutral, boat will come off of plane and naturally the stern will swing to port due to all the weight on the port side. At this point hit reverse and then grind it a bit hard and the boat should spin almost 90 degrees leaving you side ways to your rider. Buy now the waves should have past you by. Put in forward, turn wheel to the right and start bumping the throttle and spin/aim back toward your rider. If any waves are left they will be hitting the high side of the bow. I aim for the port side of the platform about 3 to 6 feet in front of the rider, if you are long/forward of the rider, just bump reverse and grind it depending on how far you are forward of the rider and should be perfectly back in position to go back in your original direction.

This method is the quickest vs. circling around the rider.

Some people don't like this method, but it does work well... If you are quick enough off of the throttle, you can use the above method, only difference is after the reverse grind, put back in forward and right the boat straight and then you can back the boat to the rider, this takes a little practice as the boat actually wants to back left due to the weighting. You just have to get a sense for throttle bumps, rudder/whell position etc. Above all, slow aand patience is the key and trying different things for how your boat handles given the conditions and weighting etc.:D

Lastly, expecially if you back to the rider, keep it slow and above all make sure the rope is pulled in, that mistake cost me a surf rope handle and dinged prop:rolleyes: