PDA

View Full Version : Intermittent starting

peason
06-21-2012, 11:14 PM
2002-209 with a predator engine fuel injected. Battery tests fine. Checked neutral safety switch. Took the starter off starter and had it checked and its fine, so I lubed bendix and reinstalled Boat will start sometimes and other times it will not turn over. What would be the next thing to check? The key ignition? Thanks

bturner2
06-22-2012, 08:16 AM
What does it do when you say it won't turn over? Any noise at all? Any clicking? First place to look on any boat is grounding and connections. A very detailed inspection of all wires and connectors in the circuit would be a good place to start. Pay attention to grounding at all distribution blocks and really look close at the terminal connectors for corrosion.

Once I'm done with the maintenance stuff (because that should be done regularly anyway) I try the eliminate the stuff that usually goes bad. The lanyard safety switch falls into this area. Did you test then jump the switch to eliminate the switch? That switch has been the root cause of many starting issues. Sometimes the finger that holds down the button will wear or get weak and will barely keep the pin in enough to complete the circuit giving you an intermittent problem. The neutral safety switch on the morse control is another good one. Have you tried moving the control in and out of gear or jiggling the control to see if this will complete the circuit?

Next would be to start tracing the voltage in the starting circuit. Do you have voltage at the switch when this happens? Do you see the voltage transfer at the switch to the starting circuit when you turn the key? You should be able to trace the voltage all the way to the starter.

I'm certainly no expert like JimN or some of the other guys on this site but this is where I would start and go about finding the problem.

starman205
06-22-2012, 12:50 PM
Had the same problem with my 2004 197TT 350mcx this spring. Turned out to be an intermittent safety laynard switch.

fintek9
06-22-2012, 05:39 PM
My 2001 X-Star was doing the same thing, DID EVERYTHING to figure it out, Even my marine machanic buddy could not find it.

Sounds silly but I ended up installing an old school style push button starter. So now when it does not start at the key ( every so often) I leave the key in the on position and push the button starts every time I need it
!!!???