PDA

View Full Version : 95 LT1 High Idle

pram
06-21-2012, 08:52 PM
My LT1 idles high (1500 or so) for a long time it seems and my temp gauge doesn't move either for a long time.

I did the heater mod on here with the T, is there a chance that is what is giving me my grief? Not getting a correct water temp reading and keeping the idle high?

JimN
06-21-2012, 10:08 PM
My LT1 idles high (1500 or so) for a long time it seems and my temp gauge doesn't move either for a long time.

I did the heater mod on here with the T, is there a chance that is what is giving me my grief? Not getting a correct water temp reading and keeping the idle high?

The heater won't cause high idle- only a throttle that doesn't close fully or the IAC will do that. Disconnect the throttle cable and see if it idles normally.

dgaugler
06-22-2012, 01:09 AM
I've had numerous high idle problems and it always comes back to the TPS (Throttle position sensor)

skiboyny
06-22-2012, 07:02 AM
I've had numerous high idle problems and it always comes back to the TPS (Throttle position sensor)

Had one for years very intermittent. TPS made it right!

JimN
06-22-2012, 09:54 AM
Yeah- forgot about that, but didn't see a lot of TPS issues, either.

Scan for codes- if the TPS is bad, it will show up as 21 or 22.

pram
06-22-2012, 01:05 PM
You guys are the best for the information

Jim, when I talk about the heater mod, I am referring to putting the T-Connector in to run the heater hose to the water pump thus moving the Temp sender away from the heater

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=50081&stc=1&d=1249102473

like in that picture

once the temp gauge begins to move, the motor idles down and stays down for the remainder of the time that I am on the water

There is an additional port that I think I am going to pop out and plumb my heater into on the new pump that I installed.

I will do what Table Rocker did on his pump
http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/251/img2398ej.jpg

JimN
06-22-2012, 01:51 PM
I would never recommend putting the ECT in a place other than where the manufacturer wanted it. Why not take the hot water from the block where the petcock/knock sensor go? That way, it's constantly flushing the block and sediment won't tend to collect at the bottom of the water jacket.

pram
06-22-2012, 02:25 PM
When I get this weekend I am going to move that heater hose and put the sensor back to it's stock place

thanks Jim